Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I ordered a 2412 to attach to my Radeon 5770, which has DVI outputs. It looks like the DVI cables that come with the 2412 have the gap between pins. Is that an issue? I thought I recalled hearing that you need DVI cables with an uninterrupted row of pins to hit the native resolution on the monitor.

You're talking about single link vs dual link.

Single link DVI is fully OK for 60Hz 1920x1200. No problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I ordered a 2412 to attach to my Radeon 5770, which has DVI outputs. It looks like the DVI cables that come with the 2412 have the gap between pins. Is that an issue? I thought I recalled hearing that you need DVI cables with an uninterrupted row of pins to hit the native resolution on the monitor.
No, you're fine.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
When I had a rMBP, I noticed I could push the display far beyond 2880x1800 with SwitchResX. Is it possible to do that with a 30" Dell monitor on Windows 7 (it's a 3007WFP-HC)? I'm not even thinking anything like 4K resolution; 2880x1800 would be amazing at 30".

Or am I limited due to the dual link DVI cable or something?

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

fookolt posted:

When I had a rMBP, I noticed I could push the display far beyond 2880x1800 with SwitchResX. Is it possible to do that with a 30" Dell monitor on Windows 7 (it's a 3007WFP-HC)? I'm not even thinking anything like 4K resolution; 2880x1800 would be amazing at 30".

Or am I limited due to the dual link DVI cable or something?

No, you're limited by the number of physical pixels on the screen. The 3007 will do 2560x1600 and that's it.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
The reason you could push the rMBP screen is the way it handles scaling. Non-native resolutions are scaled up and down to screen res, whereas almost all non-rMBP screens can only scale up. The "1920x1200" mode is pixel-doubled and then scaled down to the physical 2880x resolution. Internally, it's rendering 3840x2400.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

I'm looking for a recommendation for a triple monitor setup. IPS, approximately 24 inches at 1920 x 1080. I've got a GTX 680 4gb and I'm not a hardcore gamer, so I don't expect any issues there. Occasionally for games, but typically for multitasking coding/photoshop/video editing/other projects. I've picked up a lot from the incredible OP, but unfortunately some of the monitor recommendations seem a bit out of date.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HalloKitty posted:

Oh, so being huge, heavy, smaller visible size than most LCDs available today, often poor geometry that changes with temperature and burn in aren't trade-offs?

I never moved mine so huge wasn't an issue. It had minimal distortion and lasted around 10 years. My first CRT died in about 2 years slowly fading to black, my second had a more "Binary" death, so it was probably an exception to that.

I was talking about image trade-offs, though I suppose poor geometry would fit.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Chakron posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for a triple monitor setup. IPS, approximately 24 inches at 1920 x 1080. I've got a GTX 680 4gb and I'm not a hardcore gamer, so I don't expect any issues there. Occasionally for games, but typically for multitasking coding/photoshop/video editing/other projects. I've picked up a lot from the incredible OP, but unfortunately some of the monitor recommendations seem a bit out of date.

Your basic options are Dell U2412M (24" 1920x1200) or Dell U2312HM (23" 1920x1080). If you are super serious about photoshop you can also look at a Dell 2413. Asus ProArt series is also very good.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Calidus posted:

Your basic options are Dell U2412M (24" 1920x1200) or Dell U2312HM (23" 1920x1080). If you are super serious about photoshop you can also look at a Dell 2413. Asus ProArt series is also very good.
These are good monitors. Note that if you stray from those recommendations, you need to ensure that whatever you settle on has at least one monitor with a DisplayPort, or you will be unable to (reasonably) get all three monitors working at once.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Good advice, thanks!

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
There is also the ASUS PA248Q

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Time to upgrade my ~6 years old Samsung Syncmaster 940bw, building a new rig and gotta have that 1080p.

I have pretty much narrowed my selection down to an Asus VS239H-P, but I am unable to see it in action in a retail store before purchasing. It's the least expensive 23" IPS from a reputable manufacturer I've found and is pretty much at the upper end of my budget (175ish).

Use is primarily gaming and web browsing.

Anybody have experience with this model and good or bad things to say, or recommend an alternative?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Does anyone here use a U2713HM for gaming around here? I'm thinking of making the jump to a 27" monitor and buying a Dell Ultrasharp hasn't let me down in the past, and I don't do any professional-level color work so the U2713H will probably be overkill for me. The only thing giving me pause is the complaints about "moderate input lag" in reviews, but as usual it's hard to tell if that's something I'm going to notice in real-world circumstances.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 15, 2013

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

kuddles posted:

Does anyone here use a U2713HM for gaming around here? I'm thinking of making the jump to a 27" monitor and buying a Dell Ultrasharp hasn't let me down in the past, and I don't do any professional-level color work so the U2713H will probably be overkill for me. The only thing giving me pause is the complaints about "moderate input lag" in reviews, but as usual it's hard to tell if that's something I'm going to notice in real-world circumstances.
That worried me a tiny bit when I ordered one a few days ago but it has absolutely everything else I want in a 27" IPS (no PWM, loving finally) so I'm really hoping the effect ends up being minor (since I still play FPSes primarily).

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

kuddles posted:

I was also looking at getting one, but am holding off on getting one for the same reason; TFTCentral mentioned how Game Mode doesn't do much for input lag on the monitor either. Everything else about it looked good.

Without getting an HP ZR2740W, or maybe waiting for the Iiyama XB2776QS, the good all-rounders at that resolution seem a bit sparse...

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
U3014 review: http://anandtech.com/show/6890/dell-u3014-lcd-review

Edit: Turns out, it's absolutely fantastic, with some minor caveats that may make you think.. why? Such as the lack of pivot. It also has NO analogue inputs. But if you're in the market for this, you wouldn't care anyway.

It has a pretty nice and unique backlighting system using different colour LEDs, to achieve 97% AdobeRGB in their testing. Calibrates to near perfection.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 16, 2013

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

kuddles posted:

I have the U2713HM. Input lag is news to me, feels just as good as the u2412 I had before it.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
So my Crossover 27QD BLADE came today, and let me tell you - it's certainly an improvement on my 21" CRT that was fading. Time to turn the brightness settings down in all my games.

Not sure if I've got a customs/duty charge yet (UK) - Fedex might send me a bill later on. Some backlight bleed in the bottom right, and less in the bottom left, and think I've found a couple of dead pixels - but with the distance the monitor is from my eyes its pretty hard to see them so far.

Also Fedex are poo poo - they claimed to have tried to deliver it yesterday, but didn't ring the doorbell or leave a card. I rang the local depot to re-arrange delivery for Wednesday (when someone will next be home) but instead they redelivered it today. Had given a phone number when I rang though, so the delivery driver offered to leave it with the neighbours.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Is a really old Eizo (19" 5:4) going to have just as good color output as a bargain bucket monitor today?
I just want a monitor for throwing a few windows into, maybe have irssi going, something that's not going to use power or hurt my eyes.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Soooo, is it pretty much accepted with the U2412M (or all IPS monitors?) that you're going to get at least some backlight bleed no matter what?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Dr. Lenin posted:

Soooo, is it pretty much accepted with the U2412M (or all IPS monitors?) that you're going to get at least some backlight bleed no matter what?

IPS glow is a near certainty, and can be difficult to tell from backlight bleed. Backlight bleed is always there, IPS glow goes away if you scoot back a few inches.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

EightBit posted:

IPS glow is a near certainty, and can be difficult to tell from backlight bleed. Backlight bleed is always there, IPS glow goes away if you scoot back a few inches.

I looked at it from about 6 ft back. It's definitely backlight bleed.

This is the 4th U2412M I've tried... 3 from Bestbuy, and now 1 from Amazon. It's such a recommended monitor and yet each time I try one it has terrible bleed. Either I'm hitting the worst jackpot ever or all of them are like this and people just accept them anyways and say they're perfect.

I have an 8 year old Dell 1704FPT that has less backlight bleed and better construction than any others I've tried so far. What the hell.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

It's unfortunately really common, but almost all panels are a gamble when you buy them sight unseen. Monitors are really the most difficult PC component to buy because unlike nearly every other thing you never get to thoroughly inspect them yourself first.

BLB is something you should raise your tolerance for unless it's so severe you can actually perceive it during anything you use the monitor for (namely watching fullscreen movies with letterboxed aspect ratios)

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It's unfortunately really common, but almost all panels are a gamble when you buy them sight unseen. Monitors are really the most difficult PC component to buy because unlike nearly every other thing you never get to thoroughly inspect them yourself first.

BLB is something you should raise your tolerance for unless it's so severe you can actually perceive it during anything you use the monitor for (namely watching fullscreen movies with letterboxed aspect ratios)

My primary uses are going to be Netflix/HBOgo, games, and photo editing, thus I'm really picky about BLB. I get a little bleed on my old as hell monitor and barely ever notice it, maybe I can train myself to be okay with it on my new monitor... once a new one arrives. :sigh:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
So, it looks like the backlight (Probably, can't think of what else would be causing it) on my 3008WFP is starting to deteriorate:

It looks like a coffee ring stain across the left side of the screen when there are light to dark-ish grey tones on it.

From what I can find out about this monitor and panel (LG-Phillips LM300WQ5), it has a monster 18 CCFL backlight array, which is believable because it pumps out a ton of heat.

While I was looking for an excuse to look at getting a u3014, I'm not exactly happy about being stuck trying to sell a monitor starting develop issues vs one that is working fine.

I would try and replace the backlight, but I am utterly unable to find any source for replacements. All the sites out there (including all the sketchy Chinese ones) are focused on selling stuff for either smaller 23" and under screens, or laptops. Also, the monitor is out of warranty since last year, so that's not an easy fix. Anyone got a line on something I might be able to do other than just suck it up?

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 17, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Oi, I have the same exact issue on the top left corner of my 3007WFP-HC, Gwaihir. It also only shows up with light to dark grey tones :cry:

ToastyX
Mar 15, 2004
N
yaaarrr!
It's not the backlight. It's delamination of the panel, a common issue with older LG IPS panels.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ToastyX posted:

It's not the backlight. It's delamination of the panel, a common issue with older LG IPS panels.

Welp, luckily I was able to extend my warranty (which expired back in 2011) to October of this year, for 30 bucks! Bullet: dodged.

Odds on getting a 3011 out of this?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm looking for a 27" IPS monitor. Any reason I shouldn't go w/ the $390 Monoprice monitor or is there anything else I should consider? I do some hobby photo editing, but don't care if the color accuracy isn't quite as good as more expensive models. I basically just want something big & high resolution that looks nice. Primary uses are music production, photo editing, software development and web/email.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
The only downsides are the Dual-link DVI connector, which means you need an (expensive and finicky) active converter to use a DisplayPort source(such as a Mac laptop), and the lack of scaler, which means if you use low resolution HDMI or single-link DVI source, it won't scale to fill the screen.

This is typical of displays in the price range.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The Microcenter 27" screen has a displayport for input, no adapter needed if you want to use that over DL-DVI.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
It looks like Monoprice is going to start carrying a version of their 27" with a scaler and more input options just like they do with the 30".

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=10489&seq=1&format=2

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

sports posted:

Is a really old Eizo (19" 5:4) going to have just as good color output as a bargain bucket monitor today?
I just want a monitor for throwing a few windows into, maybe have irssi going, something that's not going to use power or hurt my eyes.

Depends on what model it is. Chances are that its a using a PVA panel so it should still be better than your bargain bucket monitor today. It might even do gradients better since most Eizo monitors have pretty good LUTs.

Anaxite posted:

I was also looking at getting one, but am holding off on getting one for the same reason; TFTCentral mentioned how Game Mode doesn't do much for input lag on the monitor either. Everything else about it looked good.

Without getting an HP ZR2740W, or maybe waiting for the Iiyama XB2776QS, the good all-rounders at that resolution seem a bit sparse...

Viewsonic VP2770 is a better but more pricey alternative. It has a scaler, low input lag, and it uses Samsung's PLS panel so its a better all-round monitor. Also, you don't have to deal with the cross-hatching or image retention crap the Dell U2713HM can suffer from.

jeffreyw fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 19, 2013

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

TFTcentral's review of the Viewsonic VP2770 doesn't corroborate your claim about input lag, it's worse than the U2713HM. It doesn't use PWM either, though.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
ToastyX has a post in this thread explaining why TFT Central's input lag values are not particularly reliable. In fact, the majority of the time TFT Central's values are too high. I can't see how, people using SMTT 2.0 tend to get lower values than TFT Central.

I believe TFT Central has changed their methodology very recently to take into account both response time and input lag but they tested the Viewsonic before that change. Prad has had response time and input lag separate for a long time and they found the Viewsonic has 7ms of processing lag.

jeffreyw fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 19, 2013

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Thanks for the tip about the VP2770. I went and looked up the reviews at prad.de.

It's strange; despite the input lag differences, both monitors have a similar final rating for gaming, and the U2713HM is rated higher in other areas. I guess that no matter which of the two I would get, they'd work fine.

e: Or get two: one good and one crappy 24" for gaming :v:

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 19, 2013

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Just sold a 2008 era 23" Apple LCD monitor for $325 on eBay, ordered a Dell U2412M from Newegg for $280 to replace it.

I love exploiting Apple lemmings for my gain! There are brand new ~$150 monitors with better specs than that thing :D

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
But they're not as pretty man! Do you have no sense of aesthetics!? They're like, all white and poo poo.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ZetsurinPower posted:

There are brand new ~$150 monitors with better specs than that thing :D
Speaking of which, Newegg has 10% off LG monitors with code EMCXSWL24. In particular, the IPS224V-PN and IPS234V-PN seem like decent buys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

DrDork posted:

But they're not as pretty man! Do you have no sense of aesthetics!? They're like, all white and poo poo.

The aluminum body is the only selling point. The black reproduction is awful and in dark games everything is washed out except the portion of the screen dead-center in front of you. Also the stand is not adjustable at all besides tilt (which has not changed even on the newest $1000 27" displays). Apple is a loving joke, I will gladly take a fool's money.