Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Let's go back to the 80's!

GRAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

Can you handle the awesomeness?

Beheaded clown magic users!

O.K., let's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

Remakes of non English films don't normally annoy me quite this much. I can't explain why, but good luck winning me over on this one Spike.

... Poster isn't bad though

It's an adaptation of the manga so it should be different in a number of key ways so it'll at least be interesting for a viewer familiar with the Korean movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

It's an adaptation of the manga so it should be different in a number of key ways so it'll at least be interesting for a viewer familiar with the Korean movie.

No, it's not. Just like it never is, even though that's always parroted during remakes. From a test screening:

quote:

There are only minor changes, with stuff like the prison sequence being longer and some tweaks to the ending. It’s not shot for shot by any means either, so if you see it, you should definitely expect things to be different and to cringe all over again…Much like the original, acts two and three are very sadistic and “wrong.”

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Spike Lee is a better filmmaker than Park Chan Wook so at the very least the odds are with it.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

No, it's not. Just like it never is, even though that's always parroted during remakes. From a test screening:

Huh. I remember the rights to remake the Korean film being the primary reason why the Spielberg version never got made and I thought that the way they were getting around that was to adapt the manga again. I specifically remember someone saying that the twist wouldn't be there or that it would be different but I guess not if that quote is to be believed.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

feedmyleg posted:

No, it's not. Just like it never is, even though that's always parroted during remakes.

Yep. Let Me In was identical to Let the Right One In, David Fincher's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was basically identical to the Swedish adaptation. Neither of those films felt like anything more than a remake of the first movie adaptation, they weren't "interpretations based on the original books".

That aside, Let Me In and Fincher's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo were both as good as the other adaptations. There's a chance Spike Lee's version won't suck, since Spike Lee has a pretty good track record.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

Tewratomeh posted:

Yep. Let Me In was identical to Let the Right One In, David Fincher's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was basically identical to the Swedish adaptation. Neither of those films felt like anything more than a remake of the first movie adaptation, they weren't "interpretations based on the original books".

That aside, Let Me In and Fincher's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo were both as good as the other adaptations. There's a chance Spike Lee's version won't suck, since Spike Lee has a pretty good track record.

I can't speak for "Let Me In," but I honestly can't believe it when people say this about TGWTDT. Fincher's version was aggressively stylish (in his typical Fincher-y way), whereas I thought the original was really bland and flat by comparison. I can't fathom that people think of Fincher's version as an unnecessary remake.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I am a bad artist who rightfully dropped out of art school and I'm pretty sure I can do a better job than those "comic book covers." Jesus Christ those are ugly.

If I were going to do "comic book covers" of movies, I'd try to get people to make movie covers that would envision how Jack Kirby would have done it. Oh, wait. That's actually an approach that requires understanding the art they're borrowing from.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Can't wait to watch him shoot emotionally-wretched scenes by showing us the back of the actors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THh1pPWEoWs

I've never understood the hate for this scene, especially when the film is more focused on how Berkowitz's actions affected the city rather than the man himself.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

tvb posted:

I can't speak for "Let Me In," but I honestly can't believe it when people say this about TGWTDT. Fincher's version was aggressively stylish (in his typical Fincher-y way), whereas I thought the original was really bland and flat by comparison. I can't fathom that people think of Fincher's version as an unnecessary remake.

Because it was. Maybe if the original wasn't so recent and high profile to begin with it wouldn't have felt so arrogant. Not that Fincher didn't do a nice job (the cinematography and character design was leagues better) but it was probably the most unnecessary remake of all time. Again, this isn't a criticism of the film itself, just the cynical process that led to its development.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 16, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

tvb posted:

Let Me In is identical to Let the Right One In if you consider a movie to consist of a vague plot summary, and not: cinematography, editing, performance, production design, sound design, pacing and mood and atmosphere -- you know, all the things that a film cast and crew does and creates. Also it has this sequence.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'll speak for Let Me In and say that while it obviously was a remake of the original film, the way the material and story was presented led me to completely different conclusions/interpretation of said story. The cinematography was much better and I felt was easier to get into. My girlfriend recently watched both and she HATED the original but liked the remake.

Seeing how they put that shot together was amazing.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 16, 2013

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Let Me In was a movie that was obviously very aware of the original and took alot of influence from the original but it rather than being the same movie is used the original as a starting point to be it's own thing. The original is a story about a boy that meets a little girl that happens to be a vampire. The remake is a story of a boy that meets a vampire that looks like a little girl.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Agreed. I think Let Me In is the exception here. It excelled in that while it kept so much of the original film in tact, it used the elements in vastly different ways so at the end of the film you were left with the exact opposite feeling of the original. In the first film you're left warm and hopeful when they leave on the train together, whereas in the remake you're left horrified. It's extremely effective, and it's pretty masterfully done, but for the purposes of the core story that was being told I think the original was more of a success in that regard. Though axleblaze's way of putting it is very elegant.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 16, 2013

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

penismightier posted:

Spike Lee is a better filmmaker than Park Chan Wook so at the very least the odds are with it.

I will always check out a Spike Lee movie, and I even enjoy stuff people hate that he did (thought "Red Hook Summer", for example, was one of the top 10 of last year). I don't agree with this at all though. I think Oldboy is by far the weakest of the "trilogy", but even that is an achievement. Sadly after his peak with "Lady Vengeance" he hasn't been able to come close (though I haven't seen "Stoker" yet, so maybe that's a return to form).

What would you say Lee has done that is as good as even "Mr Vengeance"?

Just to add something about the remake:

I actually can't wait to see it. I think Brolin is a great choice, I think Lee is a good enough director, and I think it could be pretty entertaining.

zandert33 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 16, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

zandert33 posted:

I will always check out a Spike Lee movie, and I even enjoy stuff people hate that he did (thought "Red Hook Summer", for example, was one of the top 10 of last year). I don't agree with this at all though. I think Oldboy is by far the weakest of the "trilogy", but even that is an achievement. Sadly after his peak with "Lady Vengeance" he hasn't been able to come close (though I haven't seen "Stoker" yet, so maybe that's a return to form).

What would you say Lee has done that is as good as even "Mr Vengeance"?

Malcolm X alone is worth more than Chan Wook's entire career output (and I like Chan Wook). Do the Right Thing is an absolute top shelf masterpiece, Crooklyn and Jungle Fever are exceptional. More recently, The 25th Hour and Inside Man are very good and tense in a way that would suit Old Boy.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
e: nm

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 16, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You'd think with all the apocalyptic Earth movies being released around the same time, the Star Trek posters would try to differentiate themselves by looking like... I don't know, Star Trek?

The Spock image is somewhat evocative, at least.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

But showing space would indicate that this is nerd stuff and scare away all the non-nerds :ohdear:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Generic.

Somewhat interesting.

poo poo. Holy gently caress, that is terrible.

mind the walrus posted:

But showing space would indicate that this is nerd stuff and scare away all the non-nerds :ohdear:

Which is weird, considering how many potential ways you could show "scorched, ruined earth" from space. But I guess marketing skipped over that one.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You'd think with all the apocalyptic Earth movies being released around the same time, the Star Trek posters would try to differentiate themselves by looking like... I don't know, Star Trek?

Space movies don't sell well over seas, gotta hide that Star Trek takes place in space.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 6, 2014

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Benedict looks like Tom Cruise with a smaller nose in the thumbnail to me :ohdear:

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

boom boom boom posted:

I had the exact opposite impression of the original from y'all. I assumed that the kid was gonna end up like the dude at the beginning, that the girl had been doing the same thing for centuries; getting a little boy to fall in love with her and then using him for a few decade before moving on.

That's what I took from it as well, but I'm a pessimist.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, I'm getting both Wrath of Khan and Sunshine vibes with this one.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

joedevola posted:

That's what I took from it as well, but I'm a pessimist.

That is the only interpretation of the ending I have ever heard.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

You could change the title to Oblivion and I'd think it was a badly photoshopped Tom Cruise.

squarerandom posted:

Benedict looks like Tom Cruise with a smaller nose in the thumbnail to me :ohdear:

This guy knows/nose

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

I had the exact opposite impression of the original from y'all. I assumed that the kid was gonna end up like the dude at the beginning, that the girl had been doing the same thing for centuries; getting a little boy to fall in love with her and then using him for a few decade before moving on.

It's easy to get this from the original but it wasn't intentional. The original doesn't really show that much against them being together. Alot of the darker aspects can be inferred by following things through but are still not shown. In general the relationship isn't shown as being as bleak in the original. The remake goes out of it's way to assure you that this is bad.

The author of the book and the original movie didn't even really consider that there was anything bad about the relationship between the two main characters. He thought the ending was a happy one. In the book it's even made clear that her caretaker is a creepy pedophile and the things with Oskar is different. I mean death of the author and all that but that was the original intention.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've read the book and the ending definitely comes of as more sinister in the original movie. When I read the book I thought the ending was pretty sweet (in a horrible, depressing way), but when I saw the movie I was pretty much "oh no don't do it".

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

In my humble opinion, this one would be even better with smaller text. It's a pretty unique image for a poster but I feel the text is just crowding the crap out of it. If I were in a theater and I saw that image, I would come closer to it to see it better.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Sci-Fi has made some really odd turns over the last decade. Space dramas have become taboo to happen... in space. I blame Lost In Space, despite being genuinely terrible it seems like every Sci-Fi movie since has adopted the horrible color palette and passion for action where it doesn't need to exist.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Spaceman Future! posted:

Sci-Fi has made some really odd turns over the last decade. Space dramas have become taboo to happen... in space. I blame Lost In Space, despite being genuinely terrible it seems like every Sci-Fi movie since has adopted the horrible color palette and passion for action where it doesn't need to exist.

Sci-fi has always spectacle and action, that is partly why it is different from science fiction. And Lost in Space has only one scene with action in it besides the opening.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

Volume 7: What I asked for VS. what Mum brought back from the video rental place

Sean Astin VS. Tim Robbins (this second one is horrendously terrible)
VS.

Alright Mum, I'll give you this one.
VS.

All my favourites VS. I don't know who any of these people are
VS.

and they say honey doesn't go bad
VS.

Guttenberg for the win
VS.

I can't believe there's one movie called "W", let alone 2 unrelated ones.
VS.

Also, I'm sorry to anyone who watched DeathSpa because of me. I never meant to hurt anybody.

ShufflerZero fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 16, 2013

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Let The Right One In was fantastic and Let Me In was also pretty good. They hit on a few different tones so they're both worth watching. A vampire movie done right :allears:

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

ShufflerZero posted:

Don't forget Oliver Stone's Bush biopic, though I guess technically that one is called "W." with a period.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

ShufflerZero posted:

Volume 7: What I asked for VS. what Mum brought back from the video rental place

Alright Mum, I'll give you this one.
VS.
Death Ship looks pretty awesome.

ShufflerZero posted:

VS.

The second one looks like the WWE logo.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Zzulu posted:

Let The Right One In was fantastic and Let Me In was also pretty good. They hit on a few different tones so they're both worth watching. A vampire movie done right :allears:

I've been staying away from remakes since for a while,and because I loved Let the Right one In I've been staying away from that remake. Is it really good? Really,really good? I won't come back here to scream at you guys? :ohdear:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Death Ship looks pretty awesome.

The second one looks like the WWE logo.

And the first one looks like the old WWF logo!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If you haven't seen this movie please do so immediately. I saw it at the theater when I was around 10 and it cemented my love for gritty movies. I miss Roy Scheider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mondo sale today for the Criterion Repo Man posters, one of them is glow in the dark.

(this one has the glow in the dark variant)