Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Have any of you played your basses through a Line6 M series multi-effects pedal? Did it sound okay?

I was thinking of getting a M5: http://line6.com/m5/index.html

I know that individual effects are better and all that, but I'm currently in more of a "find out which effects you can work with" phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

why oh WHY posted:

Yes, it is always a good time to try tapewounds. May I be the first to suggest La Bella Nylon Tapewounds, they are my favorite.

And allow me to dissuade you from the less expensive D'Addario tapes. Mushy tone, and it was boring to play on them. The La Bellas have more booty and definition and all that good stuff

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I tried the D'Addarios and they're pretty good considering the cheap price. They're very comfortable on the fingers and have a nice thick thump but that's about all you'll get out of them. They're not amazing and the tone definitely lacks punch and any sustain. The sustain is to be expected though.

I got my Squier VM 70s Jazz yesterday. I want to go into more detail later when I have time but I need to say one thing. This is the best $300 I've ever seen or used in the music world. It feels and sounds better than $1,500+ basses and guitars I own and I can't really believe it. The finish and details are too notch and the hardware/pots are rock solid and smooth. If I played this at a store I wouldn't think twice about dropping a thousand on it. I don't know what kind of devil magic Fender has harnessed but it's drat impressive. If you are looking for a first bass or want to try a jazz, please don't overlook this instrument. I plan on owning it until I die.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

TyChan posted:

Have any of you played your basses through a Line6 M series multi-effects pedal? Did it sound okay?

I was thinking of getting a M5: http://line6.com/m5/index.html

I know that individual effects are better and all that, but I'm currently in more of a "find out which effects you can work with" phase.

I have a M9 that I've tried with bass and it works fine, but most of the effects are more oriented towards guitar. I mean, the delays and chorus and stuff sound fine, but I hardly ever want to use that kind of stuff on bass. The drive effects cut some low end (as do the original effects they're modeled after), but you can make up for some of that by adding in an EQ. I haven't updated to the latest firmware yet which supposedly has a few more things for bass though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TopherCStone posted:

And allow me to dissuade you from the less expensive D'Addario tapes. Mushy tone, and it was boring to play on them. The La Bellas have more booty and definition and all that good stuff

Yeah hopefully I'll be able to pick some up at some point - has anyone tried the new white ones? Clear tape wrap, supposedly smoother and a little brighter.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/new-la-bella-tapewound-content-949011/

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

baka kaba posted:

Yeah hopefully I'll be able to pick some up at some point - has anyone tried the new white ones? Clear tape wrap, supposedly smoother and a little brighter.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/new-la-bella-tapewound-content-949011/

I hadn't heard of those...
They have a good pedigree, but I'd wait a couple months to see how they stack up long term

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I need some great exercises and songs to learn to really give me a boost in speed in both hands and my ability to cleanly play fast complex bass lines and runs. Usually I would instantly think of things but I'm blank. I put Chromes on my new bass and they're pulling so many weird jazzy proggy ideas out but I haven't practiced in a long time on a 4 so I need to get my muscle memory going.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I need some great exercises and songs to learn to really give me a boost in speed in both hands and my ability to cleanly play fast complex bass lines and runs. Usually I would instantly think of things but I'm blank. I put Chromes on my new bass and they're pulling so many weird jazzy proggy ideas out but I haven't practiced in a long time on a 4 so I need to get my muscle memory going.
Bass fitness is recommended here every few pages.

Fakedit: just ordered it myself.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Dominoes posted:

Bass fitness is recommended here every few pages.

Fakedit: just ordered it myself.

Bass fitness is great. In the meantime, do some finger permutations. Start at say, first finger on the 5th fret. Play 1234 on each string and back up. Play 2314, 2143, 4231, 4312, etc. Do it slow, then fast, then moving up and down the neck. I hope that came out clearly

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

Got a gift cert to Guitar Center for Christmas that I never got around to using. I was gonna grab a Boss ODB3 pedal used along with some other stuff. Does anyone have experience with used pedals from them?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
So this G&L SB-1 from 1983 popped up on my craigslist so now I'm curious. I'm recently regretting selling off my Guild B301 for reasons that I can't remember and I'm kind of sick for that not-quite-a-Rick tone that came out of it. Anyone have any experience with this particular beast? How would it compare to a similar-era MIJ P-Bass? I don't know anything about G&L except for the Fender relations and high build-quality reputation.

Chacmool posted:

Got a gift cert to Guitar Center for Christmas that I never got around to using. I was gonna grab a Boss ODB3 pedal used along with some other stuff. Does anyone have experience with used pedals from them?
Used to jockey the accessories desk at my GC (haven't been back since, heh). Whenever we put used gear through the paces we'd made sure that the knobs were pretty clean (no scratching when turned, etc), the jacks were fine, and everything works. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used pedal from them, but I don't know about the ODB3; depends on what you're going for. If you're into tinkering, there're some awesome mods you can do on a DS-1 (which are like $40).

scuz fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 16, 2013

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I like my ODB3. Probably should be called more of a distortion than an overdrive though. Definitely not subtle or 'transparent' at all.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

So this G&L SB-1 from 1983 popped up on my craigslist so now I'm curious. I'm recently regretting selling off my Guild B301 for reasons that I can't remember and I'm kind of sick for that not-quite-a-Rick tone that came out of it. Anyone have any experience with this particular beast? How would it compare to a similar-era MIJ P-Bass? I don't know anything about G&L except for the Fender relations and high build-quality reputation.

I know the old L1000s were like P-basses on steroids... I think the SBs were much closer to regular P-basses, but I don't have any first-hand experience with one. I'd imagine it'll be on par with your MIJ, maybe even a bit better if it's been well taken care of.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
Back to roundwounds! .55-.110 Ernie Ball Power Slinkies for C standard tuning. The bite on these with the 4001 is incredible.

Anyone made a string change recently? I've been going through a bunch of brands trying to find something 'better' but I always end up going back to these.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't know why but I'm really feeling Chromes. I've almost got them broken in properly and the tone is changing a lot. It's good.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

niff posted:

Back to roundwounds! .55-.110 Ernie Ball Power Slinkies for C standard tuning. The bite on these with the 4001 is incredible.

Anyone made a string change recently? I've been going through a bunch of brands trying to find something 'better' but I always end up going back to these.

I just put a set of Power Slinkies on my T-40 last week. They were the only four string set with a .110 at the shop. It's been probably two years or so since I last played roundwounds. The La Bella flats are probably never leaving my Stingray though.

edit: I'll probably try some DRs next as I've had good success with their guitar strings, but they didn't have the gauges I wanted when I bought the Ernie Balls.

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 16, 2013

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
It's by no means a recent change, but for the longest time I played nothing but Ken Smith Slickrounds. When they didn't really fit my style anymore, I moved to the DR Nickel Lo-Riders and can't really see myself changing anytime soon. Flats have always been La Bella, and yeah, after great performance and great customer service, I can't see myself deviating from them either.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hey while we are on StringChat, do those of us with short scale basses need a special kind of string or do we just lop-off more of the end than usual?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Is the Low B string supposed to suck? In the 10 years or so I've had a Stingray 5, I've never really used it because it sounds inconsistent with the other strings. Used different strings and amps. Super floppy too - I like very low action with moderately high relief; I can't keep consistent string height without the B string rattling at a much higher action than the others. I'm leaning toward this being an issue of needing a longer-than-practical scale to make it work. I personally don't find much value in the argument that it'll let you play up higher on the board: I prefer playing lower when able.

Lesson learned: Next bass will be a four string.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Dominoes posted:

Is the Low B string supposed to suck? In the 10 years or so I've had a Stingray 5, I've never really used it because it sounds inconsistent with the other strings. Used different strings and amps. Super floppy too - I like very low action with moderately high relief; I can't keep consistent string height without the B string rattling at a much higher action than the others. I'm leaning toward this being an issue of needing a longer-than-practical scale to make it work. I personally don't find much value in the argument that it'll let you play up higher on the board: I prefer playing lower when able.

Lesson learned: Next bass will be a four string.

35" is not longer-than-practical :colbert:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

scuz posted:

Hey while we are on StringChat, do those of us with short scale basses need a special kind of string or do we just lop-off more of the end than usual?

I'm not sure about need (although winding the bare string around the post and cutting it might cause damage) but most manufacturers seem to make short-scale sets for most string types

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

scuz posted:

I'm pretty sure if you cut off part of the actual thick string part (ie not silk) or have it bending at the tuner you run a much higher risk of breakage/unraveling. I think it's more likely if you use flats, but I wouldn't want to do it either way.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I have a 35" 6 and the B is tight, if a little lacking in sustain.

Anything above about the seventh fret is just boomtown, though - okay if you're going for that sound, awful if not.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Every B string I've used sounds noticeably different and too boomy. I've tried quite a few string/setup/eq adjustments and it's the same. This is why I've gone back to a 4 and I don't plan to have anything else as my main bass. My ear is way too sensitive for that kind of stuff and lately I'm really appreciating the feel of a smaller neck and less strings.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I have a set of DR Neon's on my Bantam 5, and apart from adjusting the truss rod, I've had no B string issues. It actually sounds fine for much of its length to which I attribute the fantastically even-sounding pups as much as the strings.

There's a lot of carry-on about B's; some strings and gauges are worse than others, and it seems there's a lot of poorly-set up 5's out there. When I got the bass, the strings for the Bantam were D'Addarios medium gauge and the only reason that B wasn't completely floppy was high action and a tense neck. I'm sticking to low-tension DR's for this reason.

scuz posted:

Get the scale appropriate to the bass, or you'll be going through a lot of strings. This is also important for through-body basses too!

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Dominoes posted:

Is the Low B string supposed to suck?

What kind of strings do you use? I hated the B on Ernie Ball strings on my Ibanez and I wasn't a big fan of whatever strings they had on it when I got it. Then I got the La Bella's and they offer a pretty consistent quality sound across the board. I'd say if the fifth string is bothering you that much just trade it in and get a nice four string.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

eh4 posted:

it seems there's a lot of poorly-set up 5's out there. When I got the bass, the strings for the Bantam were D'Addarios medium gauge and the only reason that B wasn't completely floppy was high action and a tense neck. I'm sticking to low-tension DR's for this reason.
The fact that I prefer a low-action/high relief style setup is a big part of why I don't like the B string.

why oh WHY posted:

What kind of strings do you use? I hated the B on Ernie Ball strings on my Ibanez and I wasn't a big fan of whatever strings they had on it when I got it. Then I got the La Bella's and they offer a pretty consistent quality sound across the board. I'd say if the fifth string is bothering you that much just trade it in and get a nice four string.
I've been mostly using DR high beams and sun beams. Not getting rid of the bass for sentimental reasons - and it's awesome otherwise.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the tips, guys; I'm glad I asked. I don't know how much I like this short-scale nonsense.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

For me, Jack Bruce summed it up expertly: "I feel like I'm playing a toy!"

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Seventh Arrow posted:

For me, Jack Bruce summed it up expertly: "I feel like I'm playing a toy!"
Pretty much this.

Also I've had a Mesa/Boogie Diesel 4x10 cabinet for the longest time and a matching 1x15 JUST came up for sale at a local guitar shop. I'm more excited about gear at this very second than I ever have been and I haven't even seen the damned thing yet :3:

edit: aaaaand purchased! Pics to come; this thing is in pristine condition and $300 was a steal.

edit again here it is!

I've realized that it's just a little bit narrower and shallower and shorter than the 410, but that's fine, it still thumps like a 5-ton jackrabbit on a pogostick.

scuz fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 17, 2013

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Can I get some opinions on a trade? I'm divesting myself of my 1995 Ibanez ATK. It's had some work, new tuners, custom pickup, Glockenklang preamp. I've been offered a late 60's to early 70's Hofner 500/4, which has non-original pickups, new CTS pots, and has been played a lot. It's tickling that special spot for me, so I've asked for additional pictures and details.

Edit: having gotten the pictures, it's a bit rougher than I'd like, and I got a cash offer from someone else so I'm thinking of taking the cash instead

TopherCStone fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 19, 2013

Dance The Mutation
Jul 27, 2011
So, I’ve been playing bass for about a year now. I’ve been in bands, I’ve toured, and I’ve actually been able to write a lot of cool parts and songs that were played by the bands I was in. It’s been a really awesome year and I’ve gotten a lot better. However, I feel as if I’ve hit a wall. I have very little formal training with bass. I bought the book recommended here: Hal Leonard Complete Bass Method but I find it to be really boring to work through. I don’t know. I just don’t care that much about learning how to read music. I am busy with school and work and simply want to work on what will allow me to be a better “song writer”. Does this mean I need to start learning scales? Is there a good resource for this? What does everyone here recommend? I should say that I’m not averse to practicing at all; I just want to have fun when I practice.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

While you're waiting for other suggestions I think it's worth going through this:
http://www.studybass.com/

It explains a lot of the how and the why of what you're doing, and lists some songs that make use of the things you're learning about, so you can go listen to them and see how things are being applied.

Yeah you're probably going to benefit from learning some theory, just so you understand what you're trying to do, how you interact with the rest of the music and what options are open to you (like with the chord tones that site explains). It should open a few doors at least.

I'd also recommend sitting down and learning some other songs by ear, especially stuff you wouldn't normally listen to or play. Once you know a bit of theory you can even start to analyse the chord progressions in songs and work out how the bass is moving around them, and what effects these tricks have.

Also learn your fretboard (that site also has a great exercise for that) and try to play in different places! Just having the confidence to slide a note up the neck and keep playing, or knowing how to jump to a lower octave on a whim, it can do wonders for your dynamics and feel

js86
Jul 22, 2012

js86 posted:

So I decided to buy one of these:

I'll have a review available as soon as I get it.

Just got it today. This thing absolutely owns hard. It sits perfectly in the mix and has just the right amount of drive to sound violent. Best pedal that I've ever bought.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

js86 posted:

Just got it today. This thing absolutely owns hard. It sits perfectly in the mix and has just the right amount of drive to sound violent. Best pedal that I've ever bought.

I do hear pretty much universal praise for these. Haven't had a chance to try one yet myself, but I think I'm going to have to

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
So I have a little 250w tc BH250 hooked up to a friend's 700w Eden 410 cab. At a certain level (somewhere around 1 or 2 o'clock depending on how hard I'm playing), the tc's shorting protection kicks in and shuts off the amp temporarily. I've tried a couple cables so I don't think that's the problem. The fan isn't blowing hot air. Am I just loading it up too much with the 410? Would it work better with a 210 or some smaller load? Should I expect the thing to ever be loud enough to play over my drummer?

Trillest Parrot fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 23, 2013

John Cadaver
Sep 16, 2007
I have an Ibanez SDGR e505 that I think the action is too high on and I wish to fix this. I had a look at the Ibanez site and they have the disclaimer that messing with the relief should only be done by a pro and if done incorrectly can lead to permanent damage. How easy is it for me to mess this up? Should I just pay someone to fix it or is this something I should learn to do because it is easy if careful?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

John Cadaver posted:

I have an Ibanez SDGR e505 that I think the action is too high on and I wish to fix this. I had a look at the Ibanez site and they have the disclaimer that messing with the relief should only be done by a pro and if done incorrectly can lead to permanent damage. How easy is it for me to mess this up? Should I just pay someone to fix it or is this something I should learn to do because it is easy if careful?

Is the neck bending in a concave way? You can check by looking from the headstock to to the bridge straight on. If so tighten the truss rod slightly, like a little under 1/4 of a turn. Let it sit then do it the next day if you want it lower. There's nothing to worry about at all unless you do too much. It's not nearly as scary as most people make it sound. Take it slow and you're safe.

John Cadaver
Sep 16, 2007
Looking from side-on there is appears to be a concave shape to the neck. I don't quite know how to do this looking from the headstock to the bridge that you suggest. I tried but I can't see the frets when I do it which suggests that it's either straight or concave? Doesn't that only really rule out a convex neck?

I tried the method of putting a capo on the first fret and then fretting 12th fret on the B-string. There is a small gap between the 4th to 8th fret which seems to suggest that I can afford to adjust the truss rod.

At the end of the day - there's about 2mm of space around the 1st frets and this increases to about 5mm at the 12th fret. I want that 5mm reduced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Trillest Parrot posted:

So I have a little 250w tc BH250 hooked up to a friend's 700w Eden 410 cab. At a certain level (somewhere around 1 or 2 o'clock depending on how hard I'm playing), the tc's shorting protection kicks in and shuts off the amp temporarily. I've tried a couple cables so I don't think that's the problem. The fan isn't blowing hot air. Am I just loading it up too much with the 410? Would it work better with a 210 or some smaller load? Should I expect the thing to ever be loud enough to play over my drummer?

Don't do this. You can fry the Eden's high-frequency driver if you do this, and potentially the woofers depending on how much your amp clips. Also, it's kinda bad for the amp for that protection circuit to kick in. Of course, it's not nearly as bad as if the circuit didn't exist and you just made the amp overload. When the amp does that, it's trying to tell you that you've maxed it out. If you need more volume, adjust your EQ. Turn down your lowest frequencies, play around with the kids so you cut through more.

The cab's wattage doesn't really make a difference when it has so much more thermal power handling than the amp. Sensitivity makes a bigger difference, but to my knowledge Eden heads are plenty sensitive.

Save up for a more powerful amp, and in the meantime adjust your EQ. I've never had any trouble cutting through with a lower-powered head, you just need to manage your low frequencies.