Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Cingulate posted:

I hope you're not saying they removed Ms. Roddenberry? She's the best part of Star Trek.

She wasn't the computer voice in TMP, it was a male voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Today's the 50th "preversary". Happy First Contact Day everyone.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zapp Brannigan posted:

Today's the 50th "preversary". Happy First Contact Day everyone.

Hope the Vulcans get the salute and not the shotgun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXw6hC7hxBA

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 5, 2013

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
FYI: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3542091

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I think I prefer the theatrical cut of TMP. Not because of the effects, which are nice in some cases, but more for the bizarre editing choices. Changing some of the sounds and eliminating some dialog hurts it, in my opinion. I also don't think we really should ever be able to see all of VGer, it's pretty goofy looking as a whole and I thought it much better left to the imagination.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
But the theatrical cut doesn't have this :3:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Wow, I'm excited. What is that giant ship?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ec_rPApKCA

:allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

It looks like more pewpew bangbang...and I'm kinda okay with this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

alg posted:

Well that answers all the people who thought we weren't going to see space in this movie. I'm a little miffed though about the giant ship that looks massively superior to everything else in universe but its not like I won't be seeing this movie.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

alg posted:

On the one hand from the side it looked like it could be a re-imagined Excelsior. Then again, those railgun thingys were very not-Starfleet.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Does anyone know what the aliens at 1:32 are?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

computer parts posted:

Does anyone know what the aliens at 1:32 are?

Those look a lot like the Klingon helmets from the 2009 deleted scenes.

e: just watch the scene here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pchkWmhCMXM, I think they're the same helmets.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 16, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Those look vaguely like Klingon helmets from that deleted scene from the first film

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Plenty of the same helmets in the new countdown comics, too, they're definitely Klingon.

ODC
Jul 8, 2005

Is this sexy?

Barudak posted:

I'm a little miffed though about the giant ship that looks massively superior to everything else in universe but its not like I won't be seeing this movie.

Looks like a re-imagined Excelsior to me. I like to think that the Enterprise and other Starfleet ships in this timeline are a reaction to the Kelvin incident and were designed the way they were to withstand another attack from a ship like Nero's. They obviously blew it in "Star Trek" so this new ship is even bigger and stronger.

Alchenar posted:

Those look a lot like the Klingon helmets from the 2009 deleted scenes.

e: just watch the scene here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pchkWmhCMXM, I think they're the same helmets.

I like the helmets. It's a smart way to address the forehead issue, in canon or otherwise. If you don't accept Star Trek Enterprise as canon then the helmets are just a cultural thing that happened to develop in this timeline and we the viewer don't really need to know if there are ridges under the helmets or not. If you do accept Star Trek Enterprise as canon it still makes sense because the affected Klingons would want to hide their shame.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

alg posted:

Mirror Universe Enterprise?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ODC posted:

I like the helmets. It's a smart way to address the forehead issue, in canon or otherwise. If you don't accept Star Trek Enterprise as canon then the helmets are just a cultural thing that happened to develop in this timeline and we the viewer don't really need to know if there are ridges under the helmets or not. If you do accept Star Trek Enterprise as canon it still makes sense because the affected Klingons would want to hide their shame.

I think it's really just 'we're on a budget and don't want to spend loads on make-up for shitloads of background extras, just make a dozen or so helmets that get the point across'.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Screen cap of the new ship from the 1080p trailer:

I could see this being Starfleet's new big bad war ship after getting all but destroyed in the last movie. The saucer almost looks like Excelsior's, but who knows. Mirror Universe would be neat too, but how many alternate universe/timelines/realities do we need? While we're wildly speculating, maybe it's something Section 31 has been working on in the background?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I really want to know what that other ship was, now. I didn't pause the video and take a close look or anything but it definitely feels like some sort of mirror universe Federationy thing. Whatever it is, they really spared no expense on the nacelles. drat.

e: Did anyone else laugh at the part of the trailer when the dark ship showed up? The way it was cut was like:

Other people: "Don't go after him Kirk!"
Kirk: "No I'm totally going after him."
*giant loving devil ship shows up*
Kirk: "...Sorry. My bad guys."

speng31b fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 16, 2013

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
So that's a brand new ship, right? It looks way too huge to be the ship we see crashing into Alcatraz.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
TrekMovie.com has a scene by scene breakdown of the trailer. They have a name for the class of ship seen in the trailer. I don't know where they get it from. Comics?

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
What if it's an Enterprise from the future or something, it looks vaguely Enterprise E-y

speng31b
May 8, 2010

The the "Dreadnaught class" thing is indeed true, then this wiki page explains a lot about the plot of the movie:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Dreadnought!

quote:

A prototype starship is stolen by a conspiracy of Starfleet officers who are old friends of a young new lieutenant named Piper, who was recently posted to the Enterprise. An admiral insists on taking his personal flagship and accompanying the Enterprise to apprehend the stolen starship, where it turns out that the new starship was stolen not to start a war, but to prevent one. The crew of the Enterprise and the hijackers must work together to foil a plot by the admiral to use this new ship to begin a military coup of the Federation.

Looks like they probably changed around a lot of the details, but could be loosely based on this plot. At the very least it seems plausible that the "experimental new warship stolen by terrorists" thing is relevant.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 16, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dreadnought makes sense. It looks very much like what Abrams's Starfleet would build as a warship.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well this is a new development. I like the possibility of Klingons as well as maybe a nod to the Excelsior?

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
Are those cryotubes at 43 seconds in?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Goreld posted:

I was also thinking that....it did feel like a Space Seed reference

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Goreld posted:

I thought those were some kind of coffins from the attack like you see in the other trailers.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

ApexAftermath posted:

I thought those were some kind of coffins from the attack like you see in the other trailers.

Why would a coffin have a window on it? Decompos-o-vision tv, live updates from the grave?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Goreld posted:

Why would a coffin have a window on it? Decompos-o-vision tv, live updates from the grave?

:shrug:

They just looked kind like the coffins you do see in the trailer.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

There's cutaways in the saucer of that Evilprise, which is pretty interesting to look at.

I'm wondering if maybe Harrison there hooked up with the Klingons and that thing is their version of a Starfleet ship.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Goreld posted:

:smug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

octoroon posted:

The the "Dreadnaught class" thing is indeed true, then this wiki page explains a lot about the plot of the movie:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Dreadnought!

Looks like they probably changed around a lot of the details, but could be loosely based on this plot. At the very least it seems plausible that the "experimental new warship stolen by terrorists" thing is relevant.

Haha, if they based the new movie off one of the most Mary Sue works in Star Trek history, that would be loving hilarious! :lol:

That new ship is badass--very Enterprise-E. On a close look, I'd say the thickness of the neck reminds me of Excelsior, but from that angle the saucer is very C/Dish.

And the cryotubes...aw yeah. :dance: You know who ELSE had cryotubes, right?

I think this movie is gonna blow everyone's mind. Can't wait!

Edit: I also notice that not only is Pike still rockin' his TMP style uniform, he's sporting a dapper cane.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 16, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Astroman posted:

Haha, if they based the new movie off one of the most Mary Sue works in Star Trek history, that would be loving hilarious! :lol:

That new ship is badass--very Enterprise-E. On a close look, I'd say the thickness of the neck reminds me of Excelsior, but from that angle the saucer is very C/Dish.

And the cryotubes...aw yeah. :dance: You know who ELSE had cryotubes, right?

I think this movie is gonna blow everyone's mind. Can't wait!

Edit: I also notice that not only is Pike still rockin' his TMP style uniform, he's sporting a dapper cane.

Bone's should have TMP beard. :colbert:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
It DOES look like the Enterprise E. loving John Eaves.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

echoplex posted:

Uh, Eaves didn't design the JJ-Enterprise. That was Ryan Church; he probably did this Dreadnaught ship too.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Also, that quick shot of Kirk and Scotty running down the walls of the corridor is pretty awesome.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise - Suddenly canon

Goreld
May 8, 2002

drat, that's the most impressive burn I've ever been dealt. Bravo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Crackpipe posted:

Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise - Suddenly canon

Well technically, the concept of a Dreadnaught was from the Franz Joseph Technical Manual. It had 3 nacelles, though, much like the Dreadnaught from the novel (which to be fair looked pretty badass on the cover):

echoplex posted:

I personally don't mind this at all...the E is probably my 3rd favorite design, after the TOS Movie Enterprise and the Excelsior.

It might be a little "Scimitar" in concept, but I'd dig it if the backstory is the Dreadnaught is some sort of ultra high concept warship stolen by Harrison, like the way Shinzon nabbed the Scimitar from the Romulans. Even a couple lines from Pike to Kirk expositing how the Dreadnaught was purpose built to fight ships like the Narada after they got back sensor data from the Kelvin survivors. While all the Starfleet ship designs were upgraded and made better a la the JJPrise, the Dreadnaught was built as a total warship, like the Defiant was for the Borg.

In my fanon dreams Pike shows Kirk a blueprint of the TOS Enterprise: "Jim, this was the next ship on the drawing board, until the moment your father's ship was destroyed by Nero. We scrapped it immediately and began to build bigger, better ships, like yours. But they weren't enough, and the end goal was built in secret: The Dreadnaught. Designed to be on par with ships like the Narada, once we realized that things like that existed and were a threat to the Federation. And now Harrison has stolen it, and turned it against us." :allears:

• Locked thread