Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Desperado Bones posted:

I've been staying away from remakes since for a while,and because I loved Let the Right one In I've been staying away from that remake. Is it really good? Really,really good? I won't come back here to scream at you guys? :ohdear:

Yeah, it's great. On a good day I like it way more than the original. On a bad day I like it the exact same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You'd think with all the apocalyptic Earth movies being released around the same time, the Star Trek posters would try to differentiate themselves by looking like... I don't know, Star Trek?

The Spock image is somewhat evocative, at least.
I really don't get the marketing campaign for this movie. The previous one made a ton of cash and showed a lot more things on the posters that screamed 'Star Trek'. This time around I've seen a grand total of one poster with even one shot of the Enterprise. It's all very surprising, but it does make me wonder if someone believes this movie is somehow a tough sell? I don't get it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Desperado Bones posted:

I've been staying away from remakes since for a while,and because I loved Let the Right one In I've been staying away from that remake. Is it really good? Really,really good? I won't come back here to scream at you guys? :ohdear:

Your results may vary, but I like it more than the original and I quite liked the original. It really compliments the original too because it shows how you can make a movie that's similar but how some slight changes in tone make it a completely different movie. There's also a scene in the remake that is probably the best thing in either movie.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really don't get the marketing campaign for this movie. The previous one made a ton of cash and showed a lot more things on the posters that screamed 'Star Trek'. This time around I've seen a grand total of one poster with even one shot of the Enterprise. It's all very surprising, but it does make me wonder if someone believes this movie is somehow a tough sell? I don't get it.

Star Trek fans will go see this regardless of the teaser poster. By minimizing the name and classic imagery, they're hoping to rope in some people that might not otherwise see it.

Besides, not every Star Trek poster needs to be a beauty shot of the ship.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

The first movie did well in the English speaking market but poorly everywhere else in the world, apparently because scifi doesn't sell well if it is advertised as such up front. So for Into Darkness they are primarily focusing on the action selling point.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I did not know that Adam Levine was in this movie... I'm sure the ladies will appreciate it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Desperado Bones posted:

There's stuff they touch on in that movie that the original leaves out of the book. I'd say that the two movies and the book are all worth consuming as they all have their merits.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

ShufflerZero posted:

Volume 7: What I asked for VS. what Mum brought back from the video rental place

Really enjoying these installments, thanks!

Here's one from the 'movies I watched last night' files.

I really can't tell if it's a lightly-filtered photo of the actors, or just a great illustrator. Something about the lighting and the reflectiveness of their skin is throwing me off.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Darthemed posted:

I really can't tell if it's a lightly-filtered photo of the actors, or just a great illustrator. Something about the lighting and the reflectiveness of their skin is throwing me off.

I love the tagline in that poster - it firmly establishes this weird binary between "Valley" and "Not Valley." It doesn't really matter where Nic Cage's character is from...it's just *gasp* NOT from the Valley.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
oh god why

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

What ISN'T wrong with that?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Darthemed posted:

In terms of historical periodization my first break is always on a personal level of either "That was before my time, it's historical" or "I remember living through this." The early 80s is in this weird grey zone that whenever I see posters or ads from that time, my gut reaction is along the lines of "I don't understand this style at all. What is going on? Were people actually like this? Are they aliens?"

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Darthemed posted:

Looks like a really great illustrator. And I don't think I can get enough of the :smug: face in that.

FlamingLiberal posted:

What ISN'T wrong with that?

Looks like only the butterfly, as that is the only thing in proper scale and proportion to anything else on the poster. Or the hospital is for Chris Kattan sized people, then that only makes the ambulance marginally wrong in scale.

Terminal Entropy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 16, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Desperado Bones posted:

It was an alright remake, I guess, but I didn't find it to be anywhere near "modern classic" status like I feel the original achieved.

Put it this way: I never think about Let Me In unless someone posts about it on the forums every once in a while, and even then I'm not thinking it was a great movie. With Let The Right One In, certain scenes will run through my mind from time to time completely unprovoked and I'll think "drat, what an incredible film."

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
This is kind of cool

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Bobcat Goldthwait horror movie. I'm ready.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Prometheus II

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

schwenz posted:

This is kind of cool

What a fun poster. I hope that sees release by Festival season this year.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

boom boom boom posted:

I had the exact opposite impression of the original from y'all. I assumed that the kid was gonna end up like the dude at the beginning, that the girl had been doing the same thing for centuries; getting a little boy to fall in love with her and then using him for a few decade before moving on.

John Ajvide Lindqvist's sequel story, Let The Old Dreams Die, answers this question once and for all. I'm not going to tell you what the answer is, even in spoilers - you really need to read it.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

twoot posted:

The first movie did well in the English speaking market but poorly everywhere else in the world, apparently because scifi doesn't sell well if it is advertised as such up front. So for Into Darkness they are primarily focusing on the action selling point.

feedmyleg posted:

Space movies don't sell well over seas, gotta hide that Star Trek takes place in space.

Huh, that's surprising information.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's also a certain novelty to showing a different side of what Star Trek can be. Like it or not, the title has a stigma. You can mitigate it by showing people stuff they'll find exciting and THEN letting them know it's Star Trek.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Supercar Gautier posted:

There's also a certain novelty to showing a different side of what Star Trek can be. Like it or not, the title has a stigma. You can mitigate it by showing people stuff they'll find exciting and THEN letting them know it's Star Trek.

It's not Star Trek though. Star Trek is slow, boring plot driven scifi stuff and that's what fans like about it. You can make someone watch Die Hard and then tell them it's Shakespeare but it doesn't make it so.

Anyway, don't want to derail. I don't know why I haven't posted this before because its been my favourite bad poster for years:

Look at it, it's marvellous.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That somehow manages to be worse than the Chris Kattan movie poster.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

So Aliens then.
e: Alien, that is.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 16, 2013

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ez posted:

It's not Star Trek though. Star Trek is slow, boring plot driven scifi stuff and that's what fans like about it. You can make someone watch Die Hard and then tell them it's Shakespeare but it doesn't make it so.

Anyway, don't want to derail. I don't know why I haven't posted this before because its been my favourite bad poster for years:

That's pretty impressive. I like the placement of the keg as a silver tray for the tagline.

e: Just noticed the frat letters.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Ez posted:

Oddly enough, the thing that irritates me the most about this poster is the text on the banner in the background clearly isn't centered.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

couldcareless posted:

Oddly enough, the thing that irritates me the most about this poster is the text on the banner in the background clearly isn't centered.

It could just be hanging crooked and end right after it disappears behind the sombrero.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Ez posted:

It's not Star Trek though. Star Trek is slow, boring plot driven scifi stuff and that's what fans like about it.

Slow and boring? Hmm.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Ez posted:

I don't really understand this tagline.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Here's another Into Darkness poster that is almost as visually interesting (although not as cool overall IMO) as the Spock one:

I wish it was crisper- the blur kind of ruins it.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Chieves posted:

Here's another Into Darkness poster that is almost as visually interesting (although not as cool overall IMO) as the Spock one:

Star Trek: Fantastic Voyage

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've never met anyone who has seen The Ritz. It seemed a strange choice by my parents for a family movie outing but when you're nine a screwball comedy is a screwball comedy. Rita Moreno certainly showed a different side from what I was familiar with from The Electric Company. :stare:

EDIT:

Just found an alternate poster for it I've never seen. In the movie Jack Weston is making that exact face, but Rita's hand is somewhat farther South...

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 16, 2013

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

This may have been in the thread before, but just in case.

Also which countries dislike space films? which are the bad countries?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
So here's a poster for the Fritz the Cat movie. I think the VHS release used this for its cover art, based on video store memories.

And here's the one they used for the DVD, Netflix, and (probably) the Blu-Ray (if it exists).

Kind of an interesting example of ad standards changing over time.
I'm guessing this was an intermediate version, since they've moved the hands, but kept the paraphernalia.

Stupid Dirty Duck bonus:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Interesting that they moved his hand out of her shirt but also made him staring at her tits.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Chieves posted:

See this gets me intrigued, along with the bit in the trailer that leads me to believe a section of this was either shot or edited to look like false-colour infrared, which is aces. I can't find it right now but there was a video up that some guy had posted of stuff shot on infrared 16mm film and it looked amazing.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Chieves posted:

I can't wait to see Kirk escape from the cranberry swamps of Planet Ocean Spray(tm)!

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
"Hey, there was this Canadian movie I remembered seeing that was set in world war 2 - I wonder if I can find the poster for that?"

"Ok, so it's only available really small, with really bad quality. Shall I keep looking?"

"Well...that's...not very good."

:stare:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is that a fan poster or something? At some point wouldn't slapping any random frame grab from the film on the cover be a better selling point? Or do they really need to see Loren Dean on the cover to be all "Hell yeah, time to watch The War Bride"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

tvb posted:

I can't speak for "Let Me In," but I honestly can't believe it when people say this about TGWTDT. Fincher's version was aggressively stylish (in his typical Fincher-y way), whereas I thought the original was really bland and flat by comparison. I can't fathom that people think of Fincher's version as an unnecessary remake.

I never said it was unnecessary, nor that it was necessarily "shot for shot" or whatever, just that it tread a lot of the same ground and the... pacing was very similar, even if the cinematography of the selected scenes was a lot different. To tie this back in to movie posters, here is the poster for the Millennium Trilogy GWTDT:

Not terrible, but kind of generic. It doesn't commit any terrible design sins, and it incorporates the essential elements (Lisbeth, the missing daughter, the opulent estate). And here's a nice Greek poster:

The design is even simpler, but I like the stark aesthetic more than the generic "international poster". It feels more dirty, Lisbeth looks less confrontational and more inward.

Here's the theatrical poster for the Fincher version:

It's not bad, but the "Giant head with figure inside" is getting to be way overdone. It's not as terrible as most of those tend to be, but again, it's looks rather generic. They should've just went ahead and aped the "...Kicked the Hornet's Nest" poster like they started to do, but left Daniel Craig out instead.

And finally, here's that notorious :siren::nws::siren: poster that was making the rounds around the time of the remake's release:

http://i.imgur.com/eUY9lvs.jpg

While I'm not appalled or offended by the nudity, this just seemed really gratuitous even if it fits Lisbeth's character. It just looks like some kind of ad you'd see in GQ or some other "Men's Magazine", rather than a poster.