Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Astroman posted:

Well technically, the concept of a Dreadnaught was from the Franz Joseph Technical Manual. It had 3 nacelles, though, much like the Dreadnaught from the novel (which to be fair looked pretty badass on the cover):

Boris Vallejo's cover is the only thing good about that book. Like mentioned above, it's Mary Sue: The Novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesse Iceberg
Jan 7, 2012

One thing I do like about the nacelle styles in JJ-Trek is that they usually look like humongous jet-engines, purpose built to rip the local spacetime metric a gaping new one.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Astroman posted:

Well technically, the concept of a Dreadnaught was from the Franz Joseph Technical Manual. It had 3 nacelles, though, much like the Dreadnaught from the novel (which to be fair looked pretty badass on the cover):

:doh: I meant to say Franz Joseph's book, thanks.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Jesse Iceberg posted:

One thing I do like about the nacelle styles in JJ-Trek is that they usually look like humongous jet-engines, purpose built to rip the local spacetime metric a gaping new one.

I also like the gently caress-off huge nacelles. I think people let their nostalgia for the original cloud any possible appreciation for this new version. This one looks like a cool futuristic spaceship, like every part belongs together, the inside and out. The new Connie is an extremely well-designed beast, and it's a sexy beast, too.

Jesse Iceberg
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I should modify that to say that I like almost every element of the JJ Enterprise, inside & out, except perhaps the placement of the neck, which seems a little too far back to me.

But the monster nacelles are a particular favourite. They hum of the sort of power that you'd imagine is a prerequisite to move something between star systems, before dying of old age in the process.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The design of the JJ Enterprise is pretty cool, I even like the refinery/engineering section, the only thing that looks dumb is that communications room that's just literally a bunch of beer brewing tanks with computers at the bottom.

Overall though I wish we had gotten something that looked more like the Kelvin, the look of the bridge just matched the industrial feel of the rest of that ship.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The neck placement kind of makes it seem like it has an underbite, and with the thin aft section kind of gives the whole thing a downsy, melty look. The engines look like big funny dicks.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Pfft, nobody appreciates Art Deco elegance any more.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Sure we do!

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Aatrek posted:

Also, that quick shot of Kirk and Scotty running down the walls of the corridor is pretty awesome.

Maybe I'm too much of a nerd or something but it bothered me. If they have artificial gravity then it wouldn't happen and if the gravity were off from a power outage or something they'd be in zero G and it wouldn't happen, they'd be floating around. I mean, I like the idea but it just doesn't make sense.

Edit, I hadn't thought of that, so I guess it may very well make sense! :)
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Barometer fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 16, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Barometer posted:

Maybe I'm too much of a nerd or something but it bothered me. If they have artificial gravity then it wouldn't happen and if the gravity were off from a power outage or something they'd be in zero G and it wouldn't happen, they'd be floating around. I mean, I like the idea but it just doesn't make sense.

If the ship is falling through an atmosphere out of control (as we see in the trailer) then it makes perfect sense.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, that could be planetary gravity. Or the artificial gravity calibration could be going wonky. The point is, you get to watch guys running on walls without any of that parkour poo poo.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Star Trek Inceptionto Darkness :getin:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

edit: ^^^^^Goddammit :argh:

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yeah, that could be planetary gravity. Or the artificial gravity calibration could be going wonky. The point is, you get to watch guys running on walls without any of that parkour poo poo.

Inception did it better :colbert:

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Silly theory time; the other ship is the USS Darkness or something on the ship is codenamed Darkness. The way Cumberbatch says it in the new trailer sounds like he is talking about a thing, rather than figurative darkness.

Also Youtube seems to be removing the 1080p option from all copies of the trailer :raise:

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Perhaps running off exploding platforms will be this film's hanging off the edge of a precipice.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Maybe they shouldn't have built this Enterprise out of styrofoam. :colbert:

Serious post; I do wish there were more things on the walls, like screens or even cheesy boxes with buttons on them or something, they are just so bland and boring, visually. I like all the curves, though.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Aw, goddammit. After hating the first one, I can't help resent that this trailer actually makes me maybe kinda perhaps want to see this one.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alchenar posted:

I think it's really just 'we're on a budget and don't want to spend loads on make-up for shitloads of background extras, just make a dozen or so helmets that get the point across'.

I think it's more "we don't want to make a crucial design decision about what Klingons look like in the new universe in what is probably a minor scene when they could be part of a major plot in another film in the near future."

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

alg posted:

Wow, I'm excited. What is that giant ship?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ec_rPApKCA

:allears:

thanks for the link. is it bad that i'm much more excited about cumberbatch than seeing more kirk? i wanna root for him instead, or at least have him not go out like nero did in the first jjtrek.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
The internet's obsession with Cumberbatch is becoming a bit much

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

I think it's more "we don't want to make a crucial design decision about what Klingons look like in the new universe in what is probably a minor scene when they could be part of a major plot in another film in the near future."

Except the same decision was made for the deleted scenes in Star Trek, and those scenes were actually fairly significant until it was decided to just drop the entire Nero POV mini-arch and have future-Spock explain what's explained there.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Cellophane S posted:

I've never actually seen him in anything :kiddo: I don't really get it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Cellophane S posted:

He's also the voice of Smaug in the forthcoming Hobbit stuff. It's only going to get worse, my friend.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

alg posted:

I've never actually seen him in anything :kiddo: I don't really get it.

He's the star of a geek-friendly TV show and has a British accent. That's all it really takes to become an internet darling these days.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tighclops posted:

Sure we do!

That sure does look old and boring. Much like you I imagine.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Supercar Gautier posted:

If I'm not mistaken there was spoilers referencing that scene in one of the extended previews. You are right. That scene probably takes place as its falling into the atmosphere.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Cellophane S posted:

How dare this pretty good actor starring in a movie we're talking about get people excited to see said movie!

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

korusan posted:

How dare this pretty good actor starring in a movie we're talking about get people excited to see said movie!

That's not the part where I think it's a bit much :)

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Cellophane S posted:

I like Cumberbatch but the internet's crush on him is getting out of hand.

Cellophane S posted:

Better keep telling us! The internet

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

superh posted:

Better keep telling us! The internet

Probably prompted to write those two based on youtube comments when the trailers were released.

The lesson is I shouldn't read youtube comments.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Cellophane, would you say you have a, you know, wide stance when it comes to Benedict Cumberbatch?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I've liked Cumberpatch in what I've seen (especially Tinker Tailor) but his complaints British people don't treat posh people well enough and Americans are better at being deferential put me off him a fair bit.

From what I know of his character in Into Darkness I hope he wins though.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I've liked Cumberpatch in what I've seen (especially Tinker Tailor) but his complaints British people don't treat posh people well enough and Americans are better at being deferential put me off him a fair bit.

Tinker Tailor is the only movie I've seen Cumberbatch in; I'm looking forward to his villainous turn in this movie.

I'm just hyped for Into Darkness in general, since I am a big fan of the previous movie. Gonna watch it on my birthday to celebrate :3:

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Cellophane, would you say you have a, you know, wide stance when it comes to Benedict Cumberbatch?

You calling me fat?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I'm calling you a Republican. :devil:

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

That's the worst thing anyone's ever said about me :(

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 620 days!

Cellophane S posted:

You calling me fat?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm calling you a Republican. :devil:

Cellophane S posted:

That's the worst thing anyone's ever said about me :(

Phasers at high noon, gentlemen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hate the new Star Trek mostly and also the designs. Ugly rear end ships and choices.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go slingshot myself around the sun and go back to 1997 or some when around there.

I hope this next one is decent.

• Locked thread