Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

I gotta admit I'm not a big fan of the Canyon or the Ice Mountain (or Norfest or Bloody Mary's Castle), but the Ra Tree and the Greclif are among my favorite dungeons.

Yeah that's kind of the problem with Terranigma. It has a bunch of really amazing sections, but then it also has a bunch of really plodding and boring chunks. I really hate Canyon, and despite Louran having a cool idea behind it, I always though the area was painfully tedious to get through.

Every now and then I try to find a good plot synopsis for the game but I still have no clue what the hell is going on in most of the last 1/3 of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
An evil man from times past, whose plan to zombify the world led Light Gaia to imprison the world or whatever, rises again and begins his plan. He nearly kills Ark, but Light Gaia saves him. Light Gaia tells Ark to go get the starstones to ressurect the old hero who will help out. He does, and the old hero looks exactly like Ark (because Ark is essentially a copy that Dark Gaia made of the hero in order to bring back the world and specifically Beruga). Hero Ark kills our Ark, and for reasons they're resurrected into the same being. Ark kills Beruga and Dark Gaia but this means that Ark (as a creation of Dark Gaia) is gon' die. He enjoys his last day in Crysta. In the Epilogue the princess Elle from the actual world hears a knock on the door, implying that either Ark got resurrected a-fuckin-gain or that it's the original hero ark, here to say 'heyo'.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GulagDolls posted:

You don't need to grind. Use magic ring. Lightning ring;.
And you should know you this is a good plan, from all the other bosses in the game where you are flat-out unable to use magic at all when fighting them!

... wait.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Do they ever explain why the world was sealed away/destroyed originally in the first place? And then why did Dark Gaia want to resurrect the world anyway? He just get bored and wanted Beruga to be a jerk to people I guess?

Zereth posted:

And you should know you this is a good plan, from all the other bosses in the game where you are flat-out unable to use magic at all when fighting them!

... wait.

You can use magic on a bunch of bosses IIRC, but the game is just seemingly completely random on why you can and can't on certain ones. The magic system in general was not handled very well.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 14, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Francois Kofko posted:

In the Epilogue the princess Elle from the actual world hears a knock on the door, implying that either Ark got resurrected a-fuckin-gain or that it's the original hero ark, here to say 'heyo'.

Whoa, wait, what? Terranigma had a post-credits epilogue? I thought it was just "credits and you're a bird" and then a THE END title card.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Do they ever explain why the world was sealed away/destroyed originally in the first place? And then why did Dark Gaia want to resurrect the world anyway? He just get bored and wanted Beruga to be a jerk to people I guess?

The world was sealed away by Light Gaia because of Beruga - IIRC it was something about how it's better to have the world in stasis than in the zombified stasis that Beruga wanted; the former temporary, the latter permanent I guess. Dark Gaia wanted that permanent destruction, so he wanted to unseal the world and bring Beruga back and have pain and suffering and whatnot. Actually thinking on it I seem to remember that basically Dark Gaia stood for eugenics (Beruga), the whole JRPG 'chaos means the strongest survive' and all that, and Light Gaia just stood for everyone getting a chance to live their life, innovation, all that.

The White Dragon posted:

Whoa, wait, what? Terranigma had a post-credits epilogue? I thought it was just "credits and you're a bird" and then a THE END title card.

It was just a 2-second scene after THE END. Elle's inside her house in Storkholm and suddenly there's a knock on the door. It ends with her opening the door, IIRC.

And yeah they also poorly explained the magic system - it seemed like the purchase was permanent, the way they explained it; magirocks for rings, and the rings are one-use, so that blows. Not only that, but it's possible to play the game normally and just like, never go into a magic shop once. Not in the tutorial or anything.

fronz fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 14, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Francois Kofko posted:

The world was sealed away by Light Gaia because of Beruga - IIRC it was something about how it's better to have the world in stasis than in the zombified stasis that Beruga wanted; the former temporary, the latter permanent I guess. Dark Gaia wanted that permanent destruction, so he wanted to unseal the world and bring Beruga back and have pain and suffering and whatnot. Actually thinking on it I seem to remember that basically Dark Gaia stood for eugenics (Beruga), the whole JRPG 'chaos means the strongest survive' and all that, and Light Gaia just stood for everyone getting a chance to live their life, innovation, all that.

Why would Light Gaia seal the world inside the underworld then? Since that's Dark Gaia's domain. If what you say is the case, I wonder if Light Gaia had any sort of long term solution at all, since we hear so little from him over the course of the game.

I kind of wonder if some aspects of the story were muddled in translation or if they are just intentionally vague in the first place.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
All of this just reaffirms my belief that Illusion of Gaia was 100 times better since you could actually follow it along just fine.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Why would Light Gaia seal the world inside the underworld then? Since that's Dark Gaia's domain. If what you say is the case, I wonder if Light Gaia had any sort of long term solution at all, since we hear so little from him over the course of the game.

I kind of wonder if some aspects of the story were muddled in translation or if they are just intentionally vague in the first place.

Been a while since I played it so I don't have solid answers to these questions but I feel like maybe Light Gaia had only that choice? I mean the two of them are like destined to repeat the same conflict forever, so one having the ability to completely triumph over the other is kinda... not thematically OK

And Nate you're just jealous of the deep themes and story of Terranigma :colbert: But by that metric Soul Blazer: still the best

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Soul Blazer is definitely the best, 1992.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

soul blazer is a video game where you can defeat mudmen that slowly crawl towards you from 50000 pixels away at the rate of 1 pixel per second.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Soul Blazer is the best of all video games in which you can do that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Soul Blazer: Save souls, blaze herbs, shoot phoenixes at squares for seven hours to reach Level 50

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm thinking about trying out the old IE games since I've never played a single one and my questions are mainly about stories and not gameplay, which I'll probably just turn down to easy.

Ten years of internet have spoiled all of the big twists in Planescape pretty much. Is it still worth buying if I know the rough plot outline, main character's big twist, and how the game ends?

Another on my list is Baldur's Gate 2 but my question for that is should I play BG1 first?

Icewind Dale 2 I know nothing about except you generate your entire party and not just your main dude. How's the story there?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Pierson posted:

I'm thinking about trying out the old IE games since I've never played a single one and my questions are mainly about stories and not gameplay, which I'll probably just turn down to easy.

Ten years of internet have spoiled all of the big twists in Planescape pretty much. Is it still worth buying if I know the rough plot outline, main character's big twist, and how the game ends?

Another on my list is Baldur's Gate 2 but my question for that is should I play BG1 first?

Icewind Dale 2 I know nothing about except you generate your entire party and not just your main dude. How's the story there?

Yes, yes & yes.

Infinity Engine games are excellent but I guess don't expect an adventure game?? Play on Core Rules for the best (intended) experience if you want to enjoy them the way they were meant to be. They're not really supposed to be breezed through so expect a gigantic time investment.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You can go straight into BG2 without playing BG1. If you want someone to give you a 2 paragraph synopsis of the BG1 story and some relevant parts in BG2, just ask here or in the BG2 thread. The main story in BG1 is very tiny and only three character backstories matter in BG2. Honestly though it's really not that much lost if you don't know them because you can kind of piece it together yourself from the tidbits that BG2 gives you.

IWD2 story is okay but it's basically a on-rails RPG with one excuse to another to keep slaying things in your path, where things get progressively bigger. The plots are your typical D&D fare, nothing special.

Planescape I'd say yes, definitely play. It has a lot of layers to it and a lot of the fun of Planescape is experiencing the setting and the subplots that are put against it. Nearly every playable character's plot is very tightly coupled with a part of the Planescape setting, and it's really neat to read about if you have no familiarity with the planes.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 4, 2018

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
I'm playing Shadowrun for the first time in preparation for Shadowrun Returns. I used a FAQs hint section to reach the caryards but, I'd like to stop and just play on my own. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Also, from what I understand, this is one of the best RPGs for the SNES. Is there any reason it doesn't have an LP? I checked LPArchive so I could get some tips but, there was nothing there. :(

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I'm not sure who told you that Shadowrun was a good RPG. or a good game. It is neither, although it has a cool setting.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

RickDaedalus posted:

I'm playing Shadowrun for the first time in preparation for Shadowrun Returns. I used a FAQs hint section to reach the caryards but, I'd like to stop and just play on my own. Does anyone have any advice for me?

What are your stats at right now? The two most important ones early game are Firearms (determines accuracy) and Body (max HP). You want at least 6-7 in Firearms to hit enemies constantly, and 7-8 in Body to take enough damage in the arena fights without dying.

Also, don't fork over the nyuen to buy your way out of the caryards. If you get your stats that high, you'll be able to take on King and get out for free, plus get some extra money to boot.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

GulagDolls posted:

I'm not sure who told you that Shadowrun was a good RPG. or a good game. It is neither, although it has a cool setting.

Shadowrun SNES isn't that bad from what I remember, which is very little. Shadowrun Genesis is awesome.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
While Terranigma's story was completely confusing at the end, the tone felt consistent all through the game. It was hope --> despair --> desperate victory. Illusion of Gaia felt all over the place. I don't even remember what happened.

But Soul Blazer was simply fun. I still prefer Terranigma resurrecting the world into something like the modern day, and your cool spear charge-jump-dashes.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

iastudent posted:

What are your stats at right now? The two most important ones early game are Firearms (determines accuracy) and Body (max HP). You want at least 6-7 in Firearms to hit enemies constantly, and 7-8 in Body to take enough damage in the arena fights without dying.

Also, don't fork over the nyuen to buy your way out of the caryards. If you get your stats that high, you'll be able to take on King and get out for free, plus get some extra money to boot.

I have:

Attributes:
6 Body
0 Magic
4 Strength
4 Charisma

Skills:
7 Firearms
2 Computer
1 Negotiation

I'm done with all the Arena fights. I got lucky in some and in others I performed the ancient art of grenade spam. The last fight was pretty easy, it just took a while. I have a shotgun and Mesh Jacket. I'm not sure if I want to hire runners. Do they do anything useful?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

RickDaedalus posted:

I have:

Attributes:
6 Body
0 Magic
4 Strength
4 Charisma

Skills:
7 Firearms
2 Computer
1 Negotiation

I'm done with all the Arena fights. I got lucky in some and in others I performed the ancient art of grenade spam. The last fight was pretty easy, it just took a while. I have a shotgun and Mesh Jacket. I'm not sure if I want to hire runners. Do they do anything useful?

Runners in the SNES version are honestly dead weight for the most part. They can maybe help soak up damage for bigger fights, but with your current gear you should be able to handle things solo for now. Don't really bother with deckers, they go down like a stack of cards and with you're close to the point you can restore your datajack functionality. Magic users are the most useful if you're really looking to hire. Kitsune in the Jagged Nails club has access to both healing and multi-enemy attack spells, for example.

Just keep in mind for stats that Charisma determines how long runners tag along with you and Leadership (which you don't have but will get access to soon enough) determines your max party size.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RickDaedalus posted:

I have a shotgun and Mesh Jacket. I'm not sure if I want to hire runners. Do they do anything useful?
Kitsune heals you I think? Aside from that, Runners are very good at dying. They aren't a bad way to get around your lovely capabilities earlier in the game, but I've found that later on they just get in the way.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

RickDaedalus posted:

I have:

Attributes:
6 Body
0 Magic
4 Strength
4 Charisma

Skills:
7 Firearms
2 Computer
1 Negotiation

Good weapon and armor choice, those will last you for a large chunk of the game. When hiring runners, go for utility (most bang for your buck). Don't hire deckers, they're too weak (except for Steelflight, who is insanely overpriced). I have to disagree with hiring magic users, as their attacks suck after they run out of MP. Your best value picks for tough areas are Frogtongue and Anders.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Shadowrun Returns is coming in June (I think it was June, too lazy to actually check), so there's that. If you're really jonesing you can play Lionheart, but...don't.

I wouldn't get your hopes too high for Shadowrun returns. Apparently there are issues with the development. Like not enough money to code a loot system or being able to manually save. And stuff from the kickstarter stretch goals becoming paid dlc.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Joshlemagne posted:

I wouldn't get your hopes too high for Shadowrun returns. Apparently there are issues with the development. Like not enough money to code a loot system or being able to manually save. And stuff from the kickstarter stretch goals becoming paid dlc.

Yeah, from everything I read, they hosed up big time. Even when the Kickstarter started I was thinking "Uhhh there's no way they'll get this done in only one year," especially with all the EXTRA content the backers funded.

Idiots should've pushed it back. The backers would've understood.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, I just read the article. I had no idea it's gotten even worse. What the gently caress is wrong with these guys?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I know people are frustrated with this, but these guys are working with an IP owned by Microsoft. They do say that the licensing negotiation with them had not yet been finalized at the time of the Kickstarter. They should have let people know that certain features were not yet finalized when they gave money to the Kickstarter. That would've prevented some of the backlash. I'm assuming the one year development time has something to do with Microsoft? No sane company would set such a strict deadline for a finished game themselves, would they?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

"Shadowrun Returns"[/quote posted:

These updates will require Backers to re-download the game from the Harebrained Account Website, since it will not include auto-patching functionality.

This seems like bizarre arrangement for backers, pay ahead of time and you can't download patches? I understand the licensing thing but they really couldn't have some kind of registration for the patches themselves so the game could still be DRM free?

The lack of save anywhere for a game of this kind and loot is sort of crazy though. Not even a "save and quit" suspension type thing like in the old Zelda and Ogre Battle games? Are you not even awarded money to buy stuff with? Do you just get hard upgrades to your stuff periodically like in a Metroid or Zelda game? Maybe every enemy type drops a pre-set amount of money? Do they even know yet? These aren't the kind of questions we should be asking two months before the game is supposed to come out. Was really looking forward to this one but like Joshlemagne said there's no way that's happening at this point anyway.

I'm sure Microsoft's licensing or whatever arrangement they have are a pain but this sounds more like Hairbrained straight up didn't plan this out properly.

In SNES Shadowrun, the only runners you should be hiring are guys with heavy firepower (Anders) or guys that can take a lot of punishment (trolls/orcs) before going down. Everyone else is a waste. It is cool to get Akimi in the late game (I think you have to get her phone number via a file in one of the New Daly buildings?) to get another unique character portrait or whatever but in general they're not needed.

Magic in general isn't all that useful, I say this because as a dumb kid I didn't do the dog spirit's stuff, so I ended up getting all the way up to Drake without having any magic at all.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 15, 2013

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012
Hey has anyone played any Legend of Grimrock fan-created content? The Master Quest looks pretty good, but I'm not sure if it changes enough to be worth a second run-through so soon after the first. Any good all-new quests would be cool, too.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Really? "We don't have the money to implement a save system'? That's basic functionality. What the hell?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I assume they mean we'll get a function to save at static points rather than anywhere.

I snatched up the Geneforge pack from GOG.com a little while back. I remember having played the first Geneforge up to a certain point, and since I don't have my saved game anymore, I started over. My last attempt was with a Shaper, and this time I'm going with a Guardian. I haven't tried Agent.

Poison and acid seem to be extremely strong in this game, to the point where enemies that have a poison or acid attack are far more dangerous than anything else I've run across. Especially the blue scorpion things I've begun to come across, who can poison me with each attack, usually multiple ones per round. Is there a reasonable way to deal with them, other than kill one, run away and hope the poison doesn't kill me, then come back later and kill another, etc...?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Daler Mehndi posted:

I assume they mean we'll get a function to save at static points rather than anywhere.

Nope.

quote:

[A-02] Q: What will the save system be like?
A: We're planning a checkpoint system.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Daler Mehndi posted:

I snatched up the Geneforge pack from GOG.com a little while back. I remember having played the first Geneforge up to a certain point, and since I don't have my saved game anymore, I started over. My last attempt was with a Shaper, and this time I'm going with a Guardian. I haven't tried Agent.

Poison and acid seem to be extremely strong in this game, to the point where enemies that have a poison or acid attack are far more dangerous than anything else I've run across. Especially the blue scorpion things I've begun to come across, who can poison me with each attack, usually multiple ones per round. Is there a reasonable way to deal with them, other than kill one, run away and hope the poison doesn't kill me, then come back later and kill another, etc...?

Poison damage is terrifying early on but doesn't really scale with level, so it mostly has nuisance value by the endgame. For now, just try not to get poisoned by not letting poisonous things survive long enough to attack you. Your Guardian should be able to afford at least a creation or two to take hits for you: in Geneforge 1 there's not much benefit to keeping your creations alive to level up, so don't feel bad about sacrificing them if necessary.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Thuryl posted:

Poison damage is terrifying early on but doesn't really scale with level, so it mostly has nuisance value by the endgame. For now, just try not to get poisoned by not letting poisonous things survive long enough to attack you. Your Guardian should be able to afford at least a creation or two to take hits for you: in Geneforge 1 there's not much benefit to keeping your creations alive to level up, so don't feel bad about sacrificing them if necessary.

Sounds like a good enough tactic to me. I only just got the ability to 1) create a Battle Alpha, and 2) have enough essence to give it +2 intelligence so that sounds very feasible.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
So it's probably been mentioned elsewhere but Bravely Default is getting a NA release, apparently published by Nintendo. Looks like it's not coming out 'till next year though.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Europe is getting it first this year, so that probably means they're localizing it. Hopefully that means awesome British voice acting like Xenoblade and The Last Story have.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I did not think that this idea merited a new thread, so I will place it here... anyone want to talk about good tactical RPGs in the FFT style across all platforms? I have been really keen on those lately and want to explore the genre. I still have my old PS1 (non-greatest hits, even) copy of FFT, and I have the War of the Lions adaptation for PSP as well as FFTA1 for my not-3DS. I ordered a book off of Amazon recently and picked up Tactics Ogre: Let Us Wrap Ourselves in Cling Film as I did not want to muck about with the old PS1 version and the critical response to this game has been overwhelmingly positive. I am currently eyeballing FFTA2 as well as Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis (I have an older GBA/DS hybrid, not a 3DS), but I wanted to hear about other games in that family, such as maybe the Wild Arms series?

This is slightly unrelated, but I just found out that my GBA cartridge of Final Fantasy V had inexplicably stopped working despite being snug & safe in my DS case for the longest time - I had a ton of time into that game (love the job system) and am properly narked off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Depending on what you mean by "FFT style" -- that is, how close it has to be to FFT to still count -- there's quite a lot of options. I'd recommend checking out:

- Ghost Recon on 3DS
- Jeanne d'Arc
- Fire Emblem (series)
- SMT Devil Survivor / 2
- XCom Enemy Unknown (the recent one on 360/PS3/PC)
- Growlanser (series)
- Wild Arms XF
- Disgaea (series) and related games
- Yggdra Union

Top of the list is closer to FFT than bottom, more or less.

If you want more genre mixing, take a look at Valkyria Chronicles.