Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I regularly got 27-28 mpg before I bad touched my car... and I get like 26 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I get about 26-27 no matter what. City? 26-27. Highway? 26-27

I have a 2003 and figure I could get more if I didn't shift at 4500 in the city and cruise at 80 on the interstate. :shobon: It's very possible you could get more/less based on your rear and ratios, gearbox, driving style, model year, etc. I wouldn't worry too much.

That said; when is the recommended fuel filter replacement interval? It's something I didn't think much about until recently but at 118K it couldn't hurt...

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
I've only refueled twice so far, but the first one was 25 with lots of spirited driving/top down on the freeway. I tried to tone it down with the second tank with the top up and windows up as much as possible, roughly 75% highway. Got 28. I'm pretty content with this.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
When I had my '91 I would always get 30-32mpg, but it was mostly country driving, and if it was on the highway it was sub 70mph. The 1.6l might help a little in that respect.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

What's the best place to get a replacement radiator for an NA 1.8L? Just whatever is cheap on rockauto or is there a more application-specific one somewhere without superfluous integrated ATF coolers and whatnot?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I have one for sale. :v:

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!

dreesemonkey posted:

When I had my '91 I would always get 30-32mpg, but it was mostly country driving, and if it was on the highway it was sub 70mph. The 1.6l might help a little in that respect.

I got 34mpg the other day on highway driving in the range of 70-90 top down. 2005

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

phootnote posted:

I got 34mpg the other day on highway driving in the range of 70-90 top down. 2005

The fuuuuck. Barely anyone here has touched even 30 MPG and here you are with 34. I am jelly :I

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Viper915 posted:

What's the best place to get a replacement radiator for an NA 1.8L? Just whatever is cheap on rockauto or is there a more application-specific one somewhere without superfluous integrated ATF coolers and whatnot?

I rolled the dice bought a cheap ebay automatic radiator (which is better, for some reason) for something like $30 shipped. Plugged the trans cooling lines with $2 in plugs from home depot and attached my old fans to it. $32 cooling upgrade, has lasted about a year with no issues.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 17, 2013

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So the MSM has been getting a rattle when cold and I swear it sounded like a pulley going out, but I actually looked at it today and it's definitely valve noise. So I'm guessing I get to learn how to do an adjustment. What all do I need to do one?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

AF posted:

The fuuuuck. Barely anyone here has touched even 30 MPG and here you are with 34. I am jelly :I

It's probably "real gas" (read: not E10). I got 33mpg with a tank of 93 0% ethanol averaging 80mph on the way back from Deal's Gap.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I got 33 MPG mostly highway on E10 gas in the summer before, but it was with 8 year old rock hard all season tires. I switched to star specs and promptly got 24-26 MPG highway, no other changes to the car.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

revmoo posted:

So the MSM has been getting a rattle when cold and I swear it sounded like a pulley going out, but I actually looked at it today and it's definitely valve noise. So I'm guessing I get to learn how to do an adjustment. What all do I need to do one?

Unobtainable valve shims, some feelers, basic tools to get the valve cover off. If you have to swap shims you'll need a micrometer to measure them all. It's pretty easy but the shims are seriously had to find and stupid expensive.

e:
Actually that may have changed. http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/search.php?search_query=shim&x=0&y=0

FatCow fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 17, 2013

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!

Phone posted:

It's probably "real gas" (read: not E10). I got 33mpg with a tank of 93 0% ethanol averaging 80mph on the way back from Deal's Gap.

I used the 93 fuel. If I use the regular unlead, I will see a difference in mpg. I did not know it made a difference on mpg. I am use to driving on the cheapest I could find.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Phone posted:

When I drove down to the gap in my MS3 i was ecstatic to find E0 gas. Ran SO much better, an immediate improvement in performance and economy. Stupid PA and stupid E10.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The closets non ethanol fuel station here only has 87 octane. :mad:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What the hell is E0 and E10 gas?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

leica posted:

What the hell is E0 and E10 gas?

E10 is 10% ethanol and E0 is 0% ethanol aka regular gasoline and I've never heard anyone call it that until now. :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, a lot of areas with pollution issues mandate all pump gas to have at least some ethanol in it. Non-E10 is really hard to come by in AZ. There's a government push to up this allowance to E15 but a lot of people are concerned about possible damage to pre-ethanol fuel systems.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, gotcha. Has anyone here ever converted to E85? Some dude on the Protege forums converted one of his BP cars and was talking like it was better than sliced bread.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

leica posted:

Ah, gotcha. Has anyone here ever converted to E85? Some dude on the Protege forums converted one of his BP cars and was talking like it was better than sliced bread.

Its about 26% less energy dense than gasoline, but its like 115 octane, so it will not easily knock. I think it also is more endothermic than gasoline.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AF posted:

He's cheating by using an NC :colbert:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

Its about 26% less energy dense than gasoline, but its like 115 octane, so it will not easily knock. I think it also is more endothermic than gasoline.

Yeah, it's basically race fuel at regular fuel prices, until you account for the massive fuel economy drop. It is generally much easier to find than > 93 octane gasoline, though.

I wouldn't convert unless I had plans for a massive turbo setup.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It costs just as much as regular gas, but you get 2/3 of the fuel economy. BUY CORN TODAY!

That said, the turbo E85 kids go to junkyards and buy the fuel sensors off of Tauruses for $10. They also run crazy amounts of advance since E85 is extremely detonation resistant and burns really cool.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

He's cheating by using an NC :colbert:

NC models start in 2006, afaik.
And my NC is getting 27 mpg at best, more typically 23. Of course, my driving plays a big role here.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GOD IS BED posted:

And my NC is getting 27 mpg at best, more typically 23. Of course, my driving plays a big role here.

I just didn't remember seeing any 2005 NBs, but Wikipedia says that NCs started production in May 2005 for delivery in August as 2006 MY. So looks like you're right, unless phootnote referred to the manufacture date. As for myself, I'm pretty sure I did at least one >30mpg tank before I figured out how deep the gas pedal really goes.

And today I had the first instance of the miata wave of the season with some guy in an anniversary NB, who was wearing a beanie in the t-shirt weather. I used to not care about this at all, but now I'm really glad that it loving finally stopped snowing and being generally lovely.

This also means that now that the car isn't covered in salts and other grime, it's clear that the paintwork needs some attention. The wheels, especially, could use a respray due to some curb rash and just paint flaking off (:wtf:) in some spots. I'm thinking about trying body color instead of just touching up with the standard silver, so something like this:

instead of

What do you guys think?

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game

mobby_6kl posted:

This also means that now that the car isn't covered in salts and other grime, it's clear that the paintwork needs some attention. The wheels, especially, could use a respray due to some curb rash and just paint flaking off (:wtf:) in some spots. I'm thinking about trying body color instead of just touching up with the standard silver, so something like this:

instead of

What do you guys think?

I'm not big on the body color match. More contrast by going darker would look better.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just started an install of a new Robbins top, someone kill me now please :smithicide:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Oof, have fun with that. :)

Replacement tops are just one of those things that are such a pain that it's worth having a pro do it for $400-500. At least that's the conclusion I came to when I was in that position.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

leica posted:

Just started an install of a new Robbins top, someone kill me now please :smithicide:

Get one of these, reduce swearing by 65%:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I got the frame off the car so I don't need those....

One B pillar down, one to go.....First one took a lot of stretching but this one ain't budging for poo poo loving GODDAMN gently caress

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I am debating installing a new soft top over the winter as a project. Take current top off car, put hard top back on, continue to drive car through winter, take as long as I need to replace the drat top. Is this a good idea of a horrible idea?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

After a little help from a few cocksuckers and motherfuckers I got the other B pillar on, now for the retention cables and front bow which should be easier I hope. Then I get to put it on the car and try to get the rain rail in correctly YAY.

I might add the ONLY reason I'm doing this myself is because I'm broke.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

Sadi posted:

So Im pretty convinced there is an issue with my car as far as gas milage is concerned. I did about 1300 miles this weekend. All highway, mostly 70-75. One tank was only 70-55. I got 23-24 mpg. I think I am going to do plugs, wires, and fuel filter. Oil and air filter are fresh. Any other things to look at? Its a 95 with 60k on it.
My 2001 with 80k miles tends to get between 25 and 30. Top down almost always, mostly freeway 65-70 mph, and shifting at ~4000 RPM. The fuel gauge also likes to go from pegged way past the full mark @ 0 miles to just under the full mark @ 150 miles to halfway mark @ 250 miles, then buries itself in the red around 290 miles. Because of that I basically just assume 25mpg x 13 gallon tank --> refuel before 325 miles and ignore the fuel gauge.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

dpidz0r posted:

My 2001 with 80k miles tends to get between 25 and 30. Top down almost always, mostly freeway 65-70 mph, and shifting at ~4000 RPM. The fuel gauge also likes to go from pegged way past the full mark @ 0 miles to just under the full mark @ 150 miles to halfway mark @ 250 miles, then buries itself in the red around 290 miles. Because of that I basically just assume 25mpg x 13 gallon tank --> refuel before 325 miles and ignore the fuel gauge.

My fuel gauge is decidedly non linear but more in a normal car non linear way. drat son. Wasn't it the '99 that first had the low fuel light? I've gone ~50 miles with the light on so I figure it's a pretty conservative warning.

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!

Previa_fun posted:

My fuel gauge is decidedly non linear but more in a normal car non linear way. drat son. Wasn't it the '99 that first had the low fuel light? I've gone ~50 miles with the light on so I figure it's a pretty conservative warning.

My lancer gave me 3gals at the low fuel light, so I estimated I had about 75miles before I go empty at a rate of 25mpg.

On another topic, what is everyone running suspension wise for DD?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

:whatup:

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

GOD IS BED posted:

NC models did actually start in 2005 (didn't know of the top of my head, had to Wikifu it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_MX-5#Third_generation_.28NC.29)

I run premium fuel and do mostly highway miles and I see about 28-29 on average. Got a freak 31mpg on one tank and it blew my mind, then again as I'm getting more and more comfortable with the limits of the car I am flogging it harder so my last couple tanks have been a bit lower, 27ish on average now. I did run a tank of regular for kicks and got like 25-26mpg with 80/20 hwy/city :aaa:

Having Yokohama S.drives mounted probably doesn't help my mileage figures at all either, thinking about switching to Continental DWS when these wear out since I live in the Seattle area and am thinking it'd be wise to invest in a good all season tire for DD duties.

:hfive: Sweet!

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
I'm on a road trip and my horn stopped working. I don't know of a car where you want a horn more... It's either "DON'T CHANGE LANES INTO ME" or "I'VE ONLY GOT 1.8 LITERS TO GET BACK UP TO SPEED ON THIS MOUNTAIN ROAD".

I had someone at the gas station push the button for me on the wheel while I metered the horn. There is no voltage to the horn. I hear a clicking coming from where the relay is. Which should I troubleshoot as I bumble along the road? Wiring or relay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

FortifiedTumor posted:

I'm on a road trip and my horn stopped working. I don't know of a car where you want a horn more... It's either "DON'T CHANGE LANES INTO ME" or "I'VE ONLY GOT 1.8 LITERS TO GET BACK UP TO SPEED ON THIS MOUNTAIN ROAD".

I had someone at the gas station push the button for me on the wheel while I metered the horn. There is no voltage to the horn. I hear a clicking coming from where the relay is. Which should I troubleshoot as I bumble along the road? Wiring or relay?

If the relay's clicking the entire steering wheel portion of the circuit up to the relay is good. Check for voltage at the horn (or closest connector) while someone pushes it again. If there's nothing, check for continuity up to the relay. If that's good, it's probably the relay. Also check for a bad ground from the horn, but that usually doesn't just suddenly die altogether without some warning.