Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Very nice! Did you cart the bike there or ride it?

Also, I'm looking to do some advanced rider training if such a thing exists. Are there any classes I can sign up for that go into detail on riding proficiency and have some track time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Just go to a trackday on the b12 or one of my lovely bikes.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I hear California Superbike School is pretty great. Plus the student bikes are S1000rrs :getin:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

M42 posted:

I hear California Superbike School is pretty great. Plus the student bikes are S1000rrs :getin:

The feeling when you see 130mph on the speedo and you're still climbing but there is a corner ahead with a 60mph entry speed. Yeah.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

The reason the Cali superbike school gets away with that is because you spend most of your time in 3rd-4th gear rolling around the track doing no brake drills and the bikes are in restricted modes.

Keith Code has done some decent stuff but my god he really takes the individual adjustment parts of riding a motorcycle to an extreme. "Here are the 85 things that you do on a bike each time you initiate a corner!". Yes, ok, that's fine, but the vast majority of people need real help with basic concepts like line choice, gear choice, and throttle application, and getting everything down to that micro level takes away from the things that people can do that actually get them around a track faster.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Do the track days allow for bluetooth communication? Would you wanna do a track day with me, Z3n?

Bandit still slips in 5th gear too. Need to get a stronger clutch spring from Holeshot or something. :smith: / :hellyeah:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Do the track days allow for bluetooth communication? Would you wanna do a track day with me, Z3n?

Bandit still slips in 5th gear too. Need to get a stronger clutch spring from Holeshot or something. :smith: / :hellyeah:

I don't think anyone actively bans it because it's too uncommon. Might need fresh plates if it's slipping still. gently caress, I don't want to do another bandit clutch :v:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Xovaan posted:

Very nice! Did you cart the bike there or ride it?

A local shop here was running a deal with the trackday and transported my bike for me. They also were BBQing stuff at lunch. Pretty tight setup. My friend with the 690SMC crashed (of course, he crashes about 3 times a month) and added some grass patina to various parts of his bike.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
more photos of track and racing, i know i'm not the only one with some.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I have a trackbike again, looking for some cheap tracktime to get back into it :)

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

cheap tracktime

Good luck with that! :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Veritas posted:

more photos of track and racing, i know i'm not the only one with some.

Coming... I finally got a picture knee down. Derp. (I know, I know...)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I need to get my upper body over but the GoPro was in the way - should probably figure out how to mount it further forward.

Rode B-/C group again since the idea of stepping up to A/B+ bothers me a bit. If it was split A and B groups then it'd be no issue in my mind - I just don't want to get in the A guys way. I got the bump again but chose not to take it.

Black helmet is February on the old engine, red helmet was last weekend with the new engine.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 18, 2013

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Looking good. I wouldn't worry about getting in the way of A group riders though. As long as you're consistent and can hold a line they'll find a way around you. Last trackday I rode I got passed simultaneously by Josh Herrin on the inside and Huntley Nash on the outside :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah go to A group as soon as you can. Not only will you learn more from the faster guys you're riding with, you'll also have less idiocy to deal with. Trust me, A group riders have no problems passing.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Zool posted:

Good luck with that! :v:

Last year I ran with a handful of track day clubs and found that cheaper isn't always better. Some clubs are cheap ($140), but the events are run like poo poo and you actually pay more for a minute of seat time. Not that this is news to anyone who's been out there. Spiff, Zool and I have spent a lot of time to talk about this while a corner worker shift-change runs long.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

I want a track bike for under $3k.
I've been looking at SV650S but I have been wondering if maybe an even smaller bike would be ideal to mess around on the track with? There is no shortage of SVs for sale in the Philly area...

I'm 6'6" and 250 in gear, so I'm wondering if anything smaller than an SV is even an option.

Ideas? Suggestions?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm 6'4" and was about 240 riding last year. SV was great. I wouldn't start on anything smaller for track days. SV has that perfect blend of cheap, common, reliable, 'just good enough' and upgradability that makes it a fantastic choice for a track day bike.

After a year you'll be making aggressive passes on bikes with two, almost three times your horsepower left and right and will have built up some awesome skills.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Spiffness posted:

I'm 6'4" and was about 240 riding last year. SV was great. I wouldn't start on anything smaller for track days. SV has that perfect blend of cheap, common, reliable, 'just good enough' and upgradability that makes it a fantastic choice for a track day bike.

After a year you'll be making aggressive passes on bikes with two, almost three times your horsepower left and right and will have built up some awesome skills.

Sounds good. Thanks for the confirmation. Will be picking up a SV sometime this summer. The cheap and common are very much desirable.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Yeah, this. They're awesome first trackbikes if you want to learn to ride hard.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone ridden Chuckwalla with SoCAL Trackdays? Seems hard to beat no sessions for $195. Looks like I'm missing the last day at AMP (until September) to go to San Diego with the girlfriend... I need to scratch the itch otherwise.

Also, I got a WP Competition rear shock for a steal of a deal... :suicide: I should probably resell it and save for a Penske or Elka.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 23, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Any properly sprung/valved shock should be fine for track use :)

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Just out of curiosity, how much of a disadvantage would a 6'4 250lbs rider have as compared to a "normal sized" rider in a club race? I'm kinda-sorta planning on starting to do track days this summer (as well as spending some time on the treadmill). In addition, I've always had a little bit of a competitive streak and wouldn't mind a motorcycle related outlet that didn't involve high probabilities of incarceration or death by guardrail.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm 6'4" and was 240 last year (down from that now, progress... progress...)

Didn't stop me from passing folks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Effectively zero. One of the best sv proddy racers was 6'5, 250 pounds. And thats with no bonus engine mods or even decent suspension to even the gap.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
Ok, What in the world caused my crash today? I was not going terribly fast, was barely leaned over, I didn't touch the brakes, and I know I didn't whack the throttle open. I know my body position is terrible, but I don't think I was going fast enough for it to matter.
The only theory I have is that the Bridgestone R-10 tires were cold after 40 minutes in fifty degree cloudy weather and just slid out? The R-10's are DOT tires, but maybe they should be on warmers anyway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJvO0mCcAbA

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Looks like you added throttle and lean angle at the same time and got just enough of both to break the rear end loose. You were still leaning in and likely adding throttle so it just kept spinning and down you went.

Warmers may have stopped the crash or might have just caused you to crash at a higher speed, because the core issue is assuming that because you're not at your normal pace, it's ok to do things like add throttle and lean angle at the same time.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 29, 2013

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
R10's are a race tire and should be on warmers (for various reasons), but don't blame your crash on not having them. Pulling tires off a set of warmers and cruising around below pace is just going to cool them down anyway. I'll second everything that Z3n said. Your speed doesn't really matter, I've seen people crash entering onto the track from pit road (yes, really).

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

-Inu- posted:

R10's are a race tire and should be on warmers (for various reasons), but don't blame your crash on not having them. Pulling tires off a set of warmers and cruising around below pace is just going to cool them down anyway. I'll second everything that Z3n said. Your speed doesn't really matter, I've seen people crash entering onto the track from pit road (yes, really).
Thanks.
I'm actually kinda relieved that it was just a dumb mistake on my part, cause the last thing I need is to start doubting the equipment. I feel like less racey tires might have let me get away with it, and I had been riding a lot harder all day with no problem.
Thinking about the day though, one thing I was trying to do was get back on the throttle earlier.
I bet I started doing that before the apex, though I don't remember doing it consciously.It would explain z3n's comment though.
It was my first day in I, I think I'm going to bump back down to B for the next one.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

First track day of the year and first day on the new GSXR. 6 months since the last track day and I spent the morning shaking off all the cobwebs and getting put in place by my new bike.

By the last two sessions I was starting to get back into the flow of things. Ended the day only 2-3 seconds off my average pace at the end of last year. On a bike with twice the HP. It's a start.

Also had a massively fun session on my 450 SuperMoto. Carefree track day fun.

The GSXR is so serious.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I had my first trackday of the year today. 6 months of not riding on the track leaves me pretty rusty, by the end of the day I was able to turn a 2:08, 6 seconds off of my best time last year. But not bad considering my first track day last year I was probably in the 2:20s. My R6 had some issues, and I didn't end up running it for more than half a session. I turned a few laps on Spiffness's GSXR600. Soooo much power! It seems silly to say that about a 600, but I'm accustomed to keeping the throttle pinned on 60hp track bikes, you start doing that with 45 more ponies and braking zones come up pretty loving fast.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
trackday this weekend at MSR Houston, anyone want to attend? we'll be running CCW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfoHKH5nNIY

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
i think it's time to replace the stock nissin master on my gsxr with the brembo stocker from an 08+ R6. any of you fine gentlemen have a spare one for sale?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I have stock nissan calipers and a stock nissan MC!

I just did the same, R6 Brembo blocks and a Brembo MC. Wonderful upgrade.

Next bout of track time in 9 days. Operation "Go faster on a 600 than I did my SV" continues.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
sourced a master from a friend. should have it installed before the next trackday on May 26th. lets see how good these R6 brembo masters are :black101:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Found out why my quick shifter was acting up, its a Pull type but the PO had it setup for regular shift. So I swapped to GP shift. Knock on wood I can adapt mentally before I money-shift.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I never could. The habits are too ingrained.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Spiffness posted:

Found out why my quick shifter was acting up, its a Pull type but the PO had it setup for regular shift. So I swapped to GP shift. Knock on wood I can adapt mentally before I money-shift.

Bad idea.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
i never had a problem with it. my race gsxr is GP shift, my dirtbike is standard, our team ex250 is standard, and another 250 i borrow is GP. though, i can see myself messing it up if i hop on another gsxr. like if i have a lapse and think i'm sitting on my gsxr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Just takes once.

• Locked thread