Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

revtoiletduck posted:

There is a bug (?) where if you overwatch a flanked alien, they will generally just sit there and do nothing.

In my experience, the alien will always shoot at flanked or no cover targets, and sometimes shoot at half-cover targets as well. It's only a guaranteed do nothing if everyone is behind full cover and unflanked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I would like to see beagle's strategy for dealing with mutons and other grenade-throwing enemies.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Sanzuo posted:

I would like to see beagle's strategy for dealing with mutons and other grenade-throwing enemies.

Probably kill them dead? Should have Lasers at least by then. I'm being glib but the game is so much less punishing once you have lasers.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Well I can see how his typical strategy of spot enemy then try to draw them back into overwatch ambushes might backfire when the first or second muton rushes his position and puts a grenade in the middle of his tightly-packed squad. I guess his super-conservative strategy might change slightly when he's got lasers and armor on all his soldiers.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Sanzuo posted:

Well I can see how his typical strategy of spot enemy then try to draw them back into overwatch ambushes might backfire when the first or second muton rushes his position and puts a grenade in the middle of his tightly-packed squad. I guess his super-conservative strategy might change slightly when he's got lasers and armor on all his soldiers.

I'm pretty certain he's beaten I/I multiple times. Anyway by the time you get to Mutons the game is quite easy.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

amanasleep posted:

I'm pretty certain he's beaten I/I multiple times. Anyway by the time you get to Mutons the game is quite easy.

These are both true statements. If you can survive to Mutons on I/I and you're not in a death spiral, the game is no harder then Classic.

The real difficulty of I/I is in the beginning where aliens outnumber you 3-1 and you lack sufficient/reliable killing power. Once their numbers advantage is reduced and you are capable of reliably killing aliens, the game really isn't that much more difficult.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

OGS-Remix posted:

These are both true statements. If you can survive to Mutons on I/I and you're not in a death spiral, the game is no harder then Classic.

The real difficulty of I/I is in the beginning where aliens outnumber you 3-1 and you lack sufficient/reliable killing power. Once their numbers advantage is reduced and you are capable of reliably killing aliens, the game really isn't that much more difficult.

You can get hosed if you spawn multiple berserker/muton packs at once either due to bad luck/the bug, though. Berserkers have 25 health in impossible and are a real pain in the rear end to take down without focused fire.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

amanasleep posted:

No it isn't :mad:

Maybe I'll find out if I ever get past thin men on I/I. Even startscumming for good rookies with Not Created Equal and getting an "easy" opening stage, I keep getting smashed the first time I run into the harder maps. (that stupid graveyard, the one where you go down a couple flights of steps to a street below and the only cover is like a couple freaking lanterns and breakable statues, that loving flooded street, etc)

Too many little bastards in too small an area. Why the heck do I keep beating my head against this wall?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ChronoReverse posted:

While that remark about Beagle is true that has little to do with the point being made in that taking 50% shots is a bad idea unless you have no other choice. You don't get to reroll after all.

The thing is, taking marginal shots is unavoidable in the early game. Anytime you get placed on a narrow map like that, you don't really have a choice. All you can really do is get into a shootout and hope that the RNG falls more on your side than the aliens. And if it doesn't, well, the Skyranger is right there.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Vengarr posted:

And if it doesn't, well, the Skyranger is right there.

Now that I think on it, not trying to bug out on the second map when it was near the end was an odd choice. Perhaps he felt that the settings he chose dictated that he needed the abduction rewards at all cost?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
In impossible, the first couple non-council missions are pretty much do or die. Moreso with the settings he chose.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Vengarr posted:

The thing is, taking marginal shots is unavoidable in the early game. Anytime you get placed on a narrow map like that, you don't really have a choice. All you can really do is get into a shootout and hope that the RNG falls more on your side than the aliens. And if it doesn't, well, the Skyranger is right there.

Perhaps if you had no other choice. In that situation, he didn't have any other choice because the cover was destructible so he made a mistake in not firing.

But a great deal of the time you have other options.

Part of it is the mindset you go into it. If you feel "I can just restart the game since it's early" then yeah, go ahead and take more risks. But if you're playing like "this is real and I need to do my best to get these soldiers home alive" like Beagle is playing then you mitigate. Even with how crazy deadly I/I is, a >50% success rate for the first few missions really isn't unreasonable.

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.
I just had my Classic Ironman rear end beat by aliens activating from across the map. My Cpl. Sniper, Cpt. Sniper, Sgt. Support and Assault land on the building platform and first up we meet three floaters. While fighting them a pack of Thin Men and a pack of Mutons activate across the map. The accumulated fire power tore my squad to pieces in two-three turns.

Starting over I guess.. drat bugs.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Honestly dont ever attempt Ironman. Just use the honor system with a single save, you are an adult. Reload on an obnoxious teleport or when everything activates at once.

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
I believe Beaglerush said a few times on his videos that he chooses Asia because he's an Aussie, and then shoe-horns in the benefits of cheaper OTS in the early game. It's just...a lot of thought has gone into some of these starting locations in this thread that I don't think he really put in when choosing the location for his LP

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Prostheticfoot posted:

I believe Beaglerush said a few times on his videos that he chooses Asia because he's an Aussie, and then shoe-horns in the benefits of cheaper OTS in the early game. It's just...a lot of thought has gone into some of these starting locations in this thread that I don't think he really put in when choosing the location for his LP

Yeah, it's cool to roleplay sometimes, but in this case it might hurt you in the long run. Especially considering that's one of the only options which would remain a constant despite all the second wave options. Which could severely dampen the playthrough if the RNG demands it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

FauxGateau posted:

Yeah, it's cool to roleplay sometimes, but in this case it might hurt you in the long run. Especially considering that's one of the only options which would remain a constant despite all the second wave options. Which could severely dampen the playthrough if the RNG demands it.

'The long run', paradoxically, is the run that DOESN'T matter in EU. If your strategy gets you to lasers and skeleton suits without crippling you, it's a good one.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Prostheticfoot posted:

Oh I thought that's why he was doing it, and it's a perfectly valid reason, but the start of Live and Impossible gave me the impression he genuinely believes it's the better starting location out of the five from a gameplay standpoint; he probably hasn't realized that you begin with more money in the bank with NA and Africa.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

FauxGateau posted:

The optimal Asia start on vanilla I/I is really not bad. You go Alien Alloys -> Experimental Warfare and build the early Foundry/OTS. 1 Satellite over US. Use Nanofiber to keep your squaddies alive (7 HP vs. Plasma pistol is the way to go), then by early April you will have Foundry, OTS, squad size 5 (or 6), and SHIVs. NA start cannot actually accomplish this. It can have marginally less money overall spent on non-satellite related projects in April if it goes for Russia only in March.

What people do not appreciate is that although NA starts have more money than other countries, if they apply that cash to anything except satellite rush in month 1 they fall behind in month 2. And if they satellite rush then they are delaying building projects until month 3.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
No, you build 3 satellites (and that's not even my final form the optimal) and the first council money influx allows you to have your OTS + other stuff up and running mid April, without gimping yourself for the second council report.

Diet Coke
Jun 11, 2010
:xcom:

Shot down a supply ship and spawned near the cockpit. I figured I'd take down the two sectoid commanders first. That worked fine. Then suddenly a cyberdisc burst through the front door, revealing three new groups of mutons, each with a berzerker. :allears:

I should have just reloaded right then and there (playing on classic, not ironman) but like an idiot I tried to just roll with it. Got my 124 aim sniper colonel and 110ish support colonel killed. My last save before that was ages ago.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Is it just me or does enabling all those second wave options in Beaglerush's latest vid make the game literally impossible now? It seems like even with winning every mission and focusing just on satellites, he still wouldn't be able to produce enough in time to prevent critical nation loss. Diminishing Returns is a huge kick in the balls in itself but he's got all these handicaps compounding his money problems, I have no idea if it's even possible to pull off :ohdear:

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

moot the hopple posted:

Is it just me or does enabling all those second wave options in Beaglerush's latest vid make the game literally impossible now? It seems like even with winning every mission and focusing just on satellites, he still wouldn't be able to produce enough in time to prevent critical nation loss. Diminishing Returns is a huge kick in the balls in itself but he's got all these handicaps compounding his money problems, I have no idea if it's even possible to pull off :ohdear:

Yup. I'm going to try the cheat codes to summon the god soldiers but I'm thinking Geoscape is literally impossible here.

On the other hand, he's clearly beaten I/I already and finds the latter part of the game ridiculously easy so he wants to be broken by XCOM.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Has there been any word on any new DLC or expansions coming out? I thought the game did really well commercially so I'm surprised that I haven't heard anything new after slingshot.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
They're supposed ot make a big XCOM related reveal at E3, other then that theres been no word if its an expansion, DLC or sequal.
All we have to go by is that they showed a small clip at Pax where the council chairman talked about a "new enemy".

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
It's the world's easiest prediction that it'll be a Civ-style expansion. Firaxis knows how to make that work, and an expansion to an established game on the established consoles is a safe bet for this fall. They can repackage a combined box for retail and get sales to people who missed it last year but saw the hype, everything about that idea sounds great. A sequel on the other hand feels really dicey in 2014 -- everything about that console transition raises big questions for a game like Xcom.

The last time they did interviews before going dark the past few months, Jake and Garth DeAngelis talked about how the first DLC was received. It feels like when reviews praised it for the good content and polished production, but it just wasn't Xcom, they looked at each other and said "Oh poo poo, they're right. Lets scrap this and do something better." It also helps that 2K would be ready to give them the budget for another big swing instead of 2 more bunts.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 19, 2013

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

moot the hopple posted:

Yup, satelitte costs are going to start high and increase exponentially for one.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
New Beagle vid

Beaglerush posted:

I paid like 10 bucks just for those hats

You and me both, brother.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Prison Warden posted:

You and me both, brother.

Wish I could empty quote that.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Oh man he practically jizzes in pleasure. Then the payback sheeeet.

Edit:He also says he reads this thread. Hi Beagle!

busb fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 20, 2013

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
He finally got some luck too nailing a bunch of really crucial shots at the end. Too bad about the poison cloud though :(

I'm kind of torn on whether I want him to just abandon this campaign or keep playing. On the one hand, he's kind of super hosed, right? On the other, watching him stumble and luck through like a dozen more missions with 1-2 veterans and a couple of rookies could be great.

e: Either way godspeed Beagle, you crazy son of a bitch.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

busb posted:

Edit:He also says he reads this thread. Hi Beagle!

Is that really a big surprise? Lots of non-goons read the SA threads.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Aw, just got to the end of the video and he mentioned the starting location discussion.

"I just don't care."

That's the spirit!

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Well, Beagle, I actually like the uncut missions better than the edited ones. First, I'm trying to get better and it helps to see your thinking. Second, it's a hoot listening to you freak.

I started a new C/I game and rushed the barracks instead of sats. I'm liking it quite a bit. While it's nice to build up my cash reserves, the money doesn't really help you get through the hardest part of the game. In this game I've got laser weapons and squad size six, just before the first terror mission. Much better than four guys and a big bank account.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I had gotten a bit burnt out after getting probed by sectoids a few weeks ago, and I just took my time to read the thread, watch some videos and gather some info.

Beagle's last batch of uncut videos really clicked; I realized that being careful isn't just about using full cover as I was doing and taking ~60% shots, during this run I've been looking for flanks, and setting up situations where I have backup plans in case I miss a shot(more shooters, grenades, rockets, etc).

I've been doing really well so far; I lost a soldier on a bomb defusal mission because I forgot to equip my rifle on my sniper before setting him on overwatch, he nailed a Thin Man that dropped but the damage wasn't enough. Cue my assault eating plasma crit. :argh:
I also hosed up a bit my base management during the second month. I had 5 countries in the red, 3 satellites already build and 2 more queued up, but I forgot to account for power and when I went to build another uplink realized I didn't have enough, so between the extra digging and the construction of the power generator it didn't build in time and I lost Argentina and Australia. :(

Also, Thin Men don't give a gently caress about which cover you're in. God drat.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

Also, Thin Men don't give a gently caress about which cover you're in. God drat.

Yes, one thing I've been trying to do is stay out of sight, even if I could be in heavy cover. As well as being the only perfect protection, it often baits the aliens in charging you instead of hanging back and exchanging shots. I'd much rather deal with an aggressive enemy than one who hangs back.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Klyith posted:

The last time they did interviews before going dark the past few months, Jake and Garth DeAngelis talked about how the first DLC was received. It feels like when reviews praised it for the good content and polished production, but it just wasn't Xcom, they looked at each other and said "Oh poo poo, they're right. Lets scrap this and do something better." It also helps that 2K would be ready to give them the budget for another big swing instead of 2 more bunts.

To be fair, 2K seems to handle DLC/expansions/sequels really well. They don't really like, squeeze things, I guess.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jetamo posted:

To be fair, 2K seems to handle DLC/expansions/sequels really well. They don't really like, squeeze things, I guess.

This extends to Take Two in general, with the GTAIV and RDR DLCs being amazing and meaty. 2K doesn't mess around with their DLC, they're one of the few publishers out there who actually try to treat them like expansions. $10-$15 usually goes a long way with them. Slingshot felt like the heart was in the right place but Firaxis just kind of whiffed on it because of unfamiliarity with the game genre and therefore not really knowing how to properly expand on it.

They've hinted at a TFTD thing so I wonder if they're just done with XCOM now and will release that as a whole new game, or if it will be a $30 Expansion Pack. Since Firaxis is also one of the few companies actually still doing that.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

My I/I game is finally going well. I've made it to nearly the end of April with only a couple of countries out of the project, I've lost maybe three or four soldiers in all, and lasers massacre everything. I've gotten lucky more than once with aliens deciding not to take shots at me when Overwatched (I'm not abusing the flank bug, as I think that's bullshit and "unfair" for the AI, even if it's I/I) and when I've gotten flanked, no crits have happened.

I also got the last laugh on the first Thin Men I ever encountered. My Heavy got poisoned and taken down to 1 HP by two of the buggers, and as I lacked Medkits I told "Nova" to go out in a blaze of glory and rocket two of the three fuckers back to whatever planet they came from. I'm finally getting the hang of Impossible with regards to Hunker Down, concealment, and flank positioning. Thanks, thread and beaglerush, for your lessons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This extends to Take Two in general, with the GTAIV and RDR DLCs being amazing and meaty. 2K doesn't mess around with their DLC, they're one of the few publishers out there who actually try to treat them like expansions. $10-$15 usually goes a long way with them. Slingshot felt like the heart was in the right place but Firaxis just kind of whiffed on it because of unfamiliarity with the game genre and therefore not really knowing how to properly expand on it.

They've hinted at a TFTD thing so I wonder if they're just done with XCOM now and will release that as a whole new game, or if it will be a $30 Expansion Pack. Since Firaxis is also one of the few companies actually still doing that.

What hints have they dropped about TFTD? The only TFTD related info I recall is Solomon bashing the poo poo out of it saying that because it takes place at the bottom of the ocean you don't get the same feeling of 'saving Earth' because the environments are not familiar to you.

Either way I hope they do drop an expansion/mega DLC instead of a new game because I feel the only thing Xcom is really missing is more content implemented into the existing game. Some more maps, something to mix up the last 1/3 of the game,(pipe dream)steam workshop style custom maps you can download from other players. I think that's all you need.

• Locked thread