Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Marvel just dumped an assload of omni's into the market before they go oop. Aaron's Wolverine, Byrne's FF and Captain America Lives are the ones I remember so keep an eye out for these at stupid cheap prices before they skyrocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I believe a bunch of Masterworks are on crazy discount too. I have never checked these out. They just seem crazy expensive. What are the main differences between Marvel Premier Hardcover and Masterwork?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Premier are basically HC versions of trade paperbacks. Masterworks are kinda like DC's omnibus, hardcover but not oversized, containing more than the standard six issues of a regular tpb.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Uthor posted:

Premier are basically HC versions of trade paperbacks. Masterworks are kinda like DC's omnibus, hardcover but not oversized, containing more than the standard six issues of a regular tpb.

Masterworks are also old stuff from the golden and silver age.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

sporklift posted:

I believe a bunch of Masterworks are on crazy discount too. I have never checked these out. They just seem crazy expensive. What are the main differences between Marvel Premier Hardcover and Masterwork?
Masterworks are generally top-tier presentations of older material.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RevKrule posted:

Marvel just dumped an assload of omni's into the market before they go oop. Aaron's Wolverine, Byrne's FF and Captain America Lives are the ones I remember so keep an eye out for these at stupid cheap prices before they skyrocket.

Also X-Statix, Atlantis Attacks, Women of Marvel and Evolutionary War.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
So I got the Iron Man Vol 1 Believe and Iron Man Season One hardcovers today and was surprised to notice that they don't have dust jackets. Is that a thing with all the Marvel Now hardcovers? I kind of like it. Also I love that they include a digital copy code. Why couldn't my Hawkeye tpb have one as well?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

That Cap omnibus for $60 is very tempting...

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Thanks for reprinting Ellis' Punisher, Marvel :ughh:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

irlZaphod posted:

That Cap omnibus for $60 is very tempting...

Looks like it can be had for under $40.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Any good deals on the Byrne FF book?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Any good deals on the Byrne FF book?

I'll do it $45 shipped. I think I have 3 of them from the fire sale.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What's your email? (Buying stuff is so dumb right now why am I doing this?)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

What's your email? (Buying stuff is so dumb right now why am I doing this?)

ryancharleswhite AT yahoo.com.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

John Byrne is selling his comp copies of his own books on SA, what a dick.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is the binding DC Absolute books generally sewn and Marvel Omnibus generally glued?

I have the whole set of Sandman Absolutes and it looks like a couple of them have the spine glued to the binding and a couple aren't glued (you can look down the spine and see the spine separated from the binding of the pages). Is this the case for anybody else?

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Is the binding DC Absolute books generally sewn and Marvel Omnibus generally glued?

I have the whole set of Sandman Absolutes and it looks like a couple of them have the spine glued to the binding and a couple aren't glued (you can look down the spine and see the spine separated from the binding of the pages). Is this the case for anybody else?

Marvel Omnibu have all been sewn for years now.

Many people see glue used on a book at automatically think they book is NOT sewn. This is not the case.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

sporklift posted:

Amazon for Wolverine (looks like there are a few at that price still) http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...e&condition=new . Ebay for X-Statix. I spend way too much time scouring the internet for deals on comics. My general rule is never pay more than $10 for a TPB or $20-30 for OSHC, there are exceptions to this rule but I try to break it down as paying a buck or two per issue contained.

Thanks, just picked up Wolverine, X-Statix, and Dark Avengers dirt cheap on Amazon!

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
Hey Rhyno, my omnibuses (omnibii?) have arrived and are now safe and sound in my bookcases. Thanks!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Casyl posted:

Hey Rhyno, my omnibuses (omnibii?) have arrived and are now safe and sound in my bookcases. Thanks!

Most Excellent.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Casyl posted:

Omniboo!

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Omnibu!

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Everythings

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

gently caress your packing peanuts Rhyno :[

You did make the little old lady I work with very happy though!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

^burtle posted:

My nuts are awesome.
I had so much trouble with formatting that label on the usps website. Glad it made it okay!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

^burtle posted:

Is this old lady a cat? Because cats loving love packing peanuts.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Glenn Danzig posted:

Marvel Omnibu have all been sewn for years now.

Many people see glue used on a book at automatically think they book is NOT sewn. This is not the case.

I'm fairly certain my Brubaker Captain America Omnibus is glued.

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!
Thanks to everyone on the pricing info for the X-Statix omnibus. I just snagged one for $33. Now I just have to hope I don't drop it on my dog when I get it.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I'm fairly certain my Brubaker Captain America Omnibus is glued.

It appears that the only Brubaker Cap Omnibus that is glued would be the first print of the first volume. Like I said, it's been years since Marvel released a glued (non-sewn) Omnibus.

The first print of Captain America by Brubaker was released almost 6 years ago.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

When exactly does Fables "jump the shark" for most people? It seems to me that a lot of people stopped reading it after a while due to the story getting stale and Willingham being more political in his writing.

The Israel analogy in the last hardcover really made me :rolleyes:. Maybe I should just stop at volume 6 of the hardcovers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

When exactly does Fables "jump the shark" for most people? It seems to me that a lot of people stopped reading it after a while due to the story getting stale and Willingham being more political in his writing.

The Israel analogy in the last hardcover really made me :rolleyes:. Maybe I should just stop at volume 6 of the hardcovers.

It really goes downhill once they beat the Adversary

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The whole Adversary fight is really lazy, you may want to stop now and imagine how awesome it could be.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Rhyno posted:

You posted this a while ago, but thanks for pointing it out. I was able to grab X-Statix new from Amazon for $35 shipped.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Have they announced a third OSHC/omnibus for Fraction/Larroca's Invincible Iron Man?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hakkesshu posted:

Have they announced a third OSHC/omnibus for Fraction/Larroca's Invincible Iron Man?

I don't think so.

Any opinions on the House of Secrets Omni that IST has on sale for %50?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

StumblyWumbly posted:

The whole Adversary fight is really lazy, you may want to stop now and imagine how awesome it could be.

Yeah, I'll second this. Frankly, I thought started to go down hill once the Adversary was revealed, because Willingham's initial plan for who the Adversary would be seems like it would have been so much more awesome than the way it turned out with the character he ended up using instead. Thanks British copyright law!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hey Rhyno, my book came in good shape. Thanks again!

Minus side: I had thought I was done packing books. Argh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Hey Rhyno, my book came in good shape. Thanks again!

Minus side: I had thought I was done packing books. Argh.

Awesome!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

McCoy Pauley posted:

Yeah, I'll second this. Frankly, I thought started to go down hill once the Adversary was revealed, because Willingham's initial plan for who the Adversary would be seems like it would have been so much more awesome than the way it turned out with the character he ended up using instead. Thanks British copyright law!

Now I'm curious, who was the Adversary supposed to be? I didn't mind who it ended up as, except for the anticlimactic end of it all, but I'm curious who else it could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

GrandpaPants posted:

Now I'm curious, who was the Adversary supposed to be? I didn't mind who it ended up as, except for the anticlimactic end of it all, but I'm curious who else it could be.

I'll spoil this on the off chance someone is still going through the early part of Fables and enjoying speculation about a more awesome choice of Adversary:

It was supposed to be Peter Pan. I think the idea was going to be that Pan had to steal children away in order to stay young. Maybe there was going to be some connection between Peter Pan and Pan the satyr as well (I think there's a panel early on that shows a giant fearsome satyr somewhere). Anyway, as I recall it, Willingham discovered that Peter Pan is not in the public domain in Great Britain (although he is in the US, and I presume most of the world). I think the reason has something to do with Barrie having transferred rights in Peter Pan to a British children's hospital, and that created some kind of exception under British copyright law that keeps the work from going into the public domain (as it otherwise would have given its age). And then either DC didn't want to try to license it only for the UK, or it was too expensive, or for whatever reason, Willingham had to ditch the idea to have Peter Pan being the Adversary, and go with Geppeto.

Which I've always thought was a shame, I remember reading Fables as it was coming out, before the big reveal, and having a good time speculating with my friends about the hints that seemed to suggest it was Peter Pan. You can definitely imagine a sinister take on the Peter Pan story -- never growing up, whisking children away to Never Never Land, etc. I feel like Willingham could have done something really awesome with that.