Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SoundMonkey posted:

I want some drat SCIENTIFIC RIGOR.

The paper cutout is 1 pentax 40mm in diameter. That's accurate to nearly 2 orders of magnitude!

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Don't worry, they do marvelous things with adapter rings these days. It will live a happy and fulfilling life despite its disability.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 24, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GregNorc posted:

So I'm looking into a tripod, since I can't hand hold with my T3i much more if I wanna get any better shots.

I found a Manfrotto 293 3-section aluminum tripod with a Manfrotto 496RC2 quick-release aluminum ballhead on my local CL for $85... is that a good deal?

$85 is a pretty good deal. I think you'd be paying almost $150 for that combo if you bought new.

The legs are certainly fine, but take a minute to compare the 293 with the 190XPROB.. the 190's do just a little bit more that may be worth some extra cash. It depends on what you need out of your tripod.

I have the same head though, and love the heck out of it. It doesn't hold as much weight as the higher end heads but I don't have any monster lenses yet so it doesn't really effect me.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

xzzy posted:

$85 is a pretty good deal. I think you'd be paying almost $150 for that combo if you bought new.

The legs are certainly fine, but take a minute to compare the 293 with the 190XPROB.. the 190's do just a little bit more that may be worth some extra cash. It depends on what you need out of your tripod.

I have the same head though, and love the heck out of it. It doesn't hold as much weight as the higher end heads but I don't have any monster lenses yet so it doesn't really effect me.

I mostly plan to use it for landscapes and low light situations where I can't hand hold due to longer exposures... I'm not very advanced (also, I'm a poor grad student) so I don't want to shell out too much...

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I was looking at my news feed and I thought this was a left over article from April fool's:

Sigma Announces 18-35mm f/1.8 - World's First Constant f/1.8 Zoom Lens

Digital Camera Review posted:

Is that my jaw that just hit the floor? I am pretty excited about Sigma's newest lens release: the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art lens -- the first zoom lens to give users a maximum aperture f1.8 throughout the entire zoom range. I can not wait to get my hands on this lens!

The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 lens is a wide aperture zoom created for DSLR cameras with APS-C size sensors. After figuring in the crop factor, the lens translates to a focal range of 27-52.5mm in 35mm equivalent. This focal length makes the lens perfect for landscapes, portraits, wedding, studio, close-up and street photography.

"Exceptionally fast apertures were previously unavailable in zoom lenses, so photographers turned to several prime lenses in a session to get bright images at various focal lengths. We're incredibly excited to be the first manufacturer to bring the F1.8 standard zoom to the market and to provide photographers with a new level of creativity and convenience, with the outstanding image quality at the core of the new Sigma Global Vision," said Mark Amir-Hamzeh, president of Sigma Corporation of America.

The lens is constructed of 17 elements in 12 groups. It has a minimum aperture of f/16 and a 72mm filter size. It has a nine blade rounded diaphragm that should produce some very sweet bokeh. The 18-35mm lens incorporates an AF/MF switch and the use of Thermally Stable Composite (TSC) compound material; allowing the lens to perform well at extreme temperatures. This product also reduces the size and weight of the lens which measures 3.1" x 4.8" and weighs 28.6oz.

Compatible with Sigma's USB dock, photographers will be able to update lens firmware and adjust focus parameters from their computers instead of having to send in their lenses and lose precious time with them.

The 18-35mm lens has a Super Multi-Layer Coating that reduces flare and ghosting. It promises to provide sharp and high contrast images, even in backlit conditions. The petal-type hood that is supplied with the lens will provide extra protection from flare and ghosting. Sigma's Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) ensures a silent, high-speed AF function.

Sigma has yet to announce a price or date that the 18-35mm f/1.8 lens will hit the shelf. I'm hoping that is not an indication of an extremely high price tag. I know countless photographers that would love to add this lens in their camera bag...if the price is right.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Haggins posted:

I was looking at my news feed and I thought this was a left over article from April fool's:

Sigma Announces 18-35mm f/1.8 - World's First Constant f/1.8 Zoom Lens

That's actually a pretty cool lens, I really enjoyed my 20-35L- I can see that lens selling pretty well if it's not absurdly expensive.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's APS-C but yeah it's awesome. Wife would love it on her rebel, now she carries a kit and a prime everywhere with it. The problem is always going to be size/weight though: 17 elements and 72mm, and >800 grams is pretty hardcore (no far off what a 24-70/2.8 weights now).

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 18, 2013

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Cool. I expect it will be much more expensive than I can afford, but still cool.

This side-comment is interesting, too:

quote:

Compatible with Sigma's USB dock, photographers will be able to update lens firmware and adjust focus parameters from their computers instead of having to send in their lenses and lose precious time with them.
Huh? Is there a USB-based docking station for Sigma lenses now? What information would be stored or updated on the lens, rather than in the camera body? Or is this a bit of software, a virtual "dock", for when you have your camera (wearing the Sigma lens) attached to your computer via USB cable?

EDIT: I found this http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/sigma-usb-dock
It is weird.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Huh? Is there a USB-based docking station for Sigma lenses now? What information would be stored or updated on the lens, rather than in the camera body? Or is this a bit of software, a virtual "dock", for when you have your camera (wearing the Sigma lens) attached to your computer via USB cable?
The 35/1.4 is the first one that could plug on it. You can adjust focus speed and a bunch of other poo poo. It's a hardware dock with a mount and USB.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

There has been a big uproar from chart shooting measure-baters about Sigma's "quality control". People would insist that they have a bad copy of a lens and switch it out several times to get a "good" copy. They made the dock to shut these people up. I believe it allows them to calibrate the lens.

As for myself, I've owned two wonderful pieces of Sigma glass and I've never have a problem.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
They should charge more for it, the only people that would use it clearly have money to piss away.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Ugh, art lens.

"Oh this? It's an art lens. I only use art lenses :smug:"

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ExecuDork posted:

Cool. I expect it will be much more expensive than I can afford, but still cool.

Probably not as expensive as you would expect given the speed. I would guess that it's a 28-50 f/3.5 with a telecompressor built in. It's how Olympus pulls off their fancy f/2 zooms (they're pedestrian full-frame 70-200 f/4 designs licensed from Tamron or Sigma with telecompressors added in).

If you could get telecompressors for medium format lenses most of them would qualify as superfast. It's about 2 stops from 35mm->APS-C, you could probably get another 2 stops going from 6x7->35mm. The 105mm f/2.4 would be like a 50mm f/0.9 or something like that on APS-C. Unlike real hyperfast lenses, it would also be quite sharp due to the resolution compression. The 55/4 would be a 28mm f/1.2. Someone should get on that.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 18, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

rcman50166 posted:

Ugh, art lens.

"Oh this? It's an art lens. I only use art lenses :smug:"

They can call it whatever they like if they keep churning out superior-in-all-respect superfast lenses that weigh in at 30% less than the first-parties.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Probably not as expensive as you would expect given the speed. I would guess that it's a 28-50 f/3.5 with a telecompressor built in. It's how Olympus pulls off their fancy f/2 zooms (they're pedestrian full-frame 70-200 f/4 designs licensed from Tamron or Sigma with telecompressors added in).
Got something to back that up? Pretty sure I read a while back that their f/2 zooms were f/2.8 with a 2x telecompressor and the max aperture closed down a stop. Seems awfully big and heavy for being based on an f/4 one.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Got something to back that up? Pretty sure I read a while back that their f/2 zooms were f/2.8 with a 2x telecompressor and the max aperture closed down a stop. Seems awfully big and heavy for being based on an f/4 one.

Not in specifically, no, I just remember they did it by telecompressor. Looks like you are correct and you can even half-unmount the lens to get the aperture to retract back to the full f/1.6.

Teabiscuit
Jul 21, 2005

by T. Finninho
I just picked up a Sigma 17-70mm 2.8 on ebay on impulse (it was cheap). For some reason I thought it was the fabled tamron 17-50. Have I made a $150 mistake.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

It depends, there are several versions of that lens. Can you be more specific? (for starters, the only 17-70's I'm finding are variable apertures, so they aren't 2.8 when zoomed in), and I dunno if you have the version with OS or not.

e. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-17-70mm-f-2.8-4-DC-Macro-OS-Lens-Review.aspx is a review of the OS model, comparing it to some other lenses including the Tamron. It doesn't look nearly as good as the tamron, but might not be terrible depending on how much you paid.

Teabiscuit
Jul 21, 2005

by T. Finninho
It appears to be the non OS model. I paid $150. Being a poor sucks.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I'd say it is a step up from a kit lens, but a step down from the Tamron. $150 sounds reasonable.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Goddammit, anyone else end up with one of those bum SD cards from Sandisk that won't format?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

Goddammit, anyone else end up with one of those bum SD cards from Sandisk that won't format?

Where did you get it? Probably a fake :(

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Bubbacub posted:

If it is a fake, this story might provide a bit of cheer: http://mattdelito.wordpress.com/2011/12/09/fraud/

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Shmoogy posted:

Where did you get it? Probably a fake :(

Brand new at a camera store. I wanted to shoot an event but I'd left my other cards at home, so I ran across the street to a Hunt's Photo. At least I still have the packaging with the serial number, so I can talk to Sandisk.

Teabiscuit
Jul 21, 2005

by T. Finninho
That lense arrived and it seems pretty good, no lens cap though just a dumb UV filter.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I have a huge and awful issue with my Tamron 17-50/2.8 that suddenly happened tonight and I have no idea what to do. I was out shooting and suddenly out of nowhere it decided the zoom wasn't going to zoom without feeling kind-of sticky, almost like there was grit or something inside the barrel. I sat there for a minute and blew in it a time or two to see if something had gotten in there, and then tried it again and when I did the whole drat barrel spun, it had come unattached to the stupid mechanism inside that controls the zoom. Now the whole drat thing is completely busted and I don't know what to do. I bought this lens secondhand, so I don't know if it was ever registered with Tamron (or how old it is, so if it's even covered under warranty) but I have emailed the person I got it from to try and find out. Google tells me that this is a problem that these lenses has, but unfortunately it's not being so helpful on whither this is something that might get repaired.

I guess I don't really have a question but man this is awful and I've babied this drat lens since I got it. :(

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I don't know about the problem specifically, but from my machining experience it sounds like your track seized then broke the guiding peg things. I used to own one of the lenses so I've seen the track, I think the entire assembly is plastic. It's tough luck.

You can probably reverse engineer the thing to see if you can repair it. Use this video as refernce. The three screws visible hold the front element in, allowing you access to the inside if you remove them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKMTgw-NCa0
Of course you should probably contact Tamron first to see if it's worth voiding a possible warranty.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

rcman50166 posted:

I don't know about the problem specifically, but from my machining experience it sounds like your track seized then broke the guiding peg things. I used to own one of the lenses so I've seen the track, I think the entire assembly is plastic. It's tough luck.

You can probably reverse engineer the thing to see if you can repair it. Use this video as refernce. The three screws visible hold the front element in, allowing you access to the inside if you remove them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKMTgw-NCa0
Of course you should probably contact Tamron first to see if it's worth voiding a possible warranty.

Yeah, I'm not certain I'm willing to disassemble it until I've had a chat with Tamron to see if they'll cover it. Thankfully I've already heard back from the person I bought it from and have all the info on when it was purchased, and it's barely two years old so surely they'll at least be willing to look at it and give an estimate if nothing else. :smith:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Supposedly tamron has massively improved their customer support and repair over the past few years, so maybe it won't be too bad to get it fixed.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Just switched back to my $15 ebay lens adapter that wiggles a bit because my $80 fotodiox pro has stopped locking.
I should look into finally buying a canon lens for my canon camera. :anime:

e: 40mm f/2.8 STM on the way.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 22, 2013

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Is the canon FD 85 f/1.2L worth it? Or should I just get a humble rokinon 85 f/1.4?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

teraflame posted:

Is the canon FD 85 f/1.2L worth it? Or should I just get a humble rokinon 85 f/1.4?

Do you want an f/1.2 lens and can you mount it on your camera (i.e. not EOS)? Then yes. If you can deal with manual focus the Rokinon is OK. The Canon 85/1.8 isn't glamorous but it's a solid lens.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Supposedly the 85 f/1.8 focuses faster than the f/1.2, so keep that in mind. I'm really happy with my f/1.8, the f/1.2L seems way overpriced.

Edit: Oh, FD. Huh.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 23, 2013

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I never used a 85 1.2, but I hear it being called a "studio lens" since it's difficult to focus on the fly when it's wide open (which is the reason you want to shoot with it). It also costs a lot of god drat money. You may as well get a 85 1.8. 1.8 on a 85 is already pretty drat shallow. Even if you decide you want something faster down the road, you'll have no trouble hawking it for a good price.

As for the lens itself, I've had one and I can say there is no good reason why it's not an L lens. It's one of the sharpest pieces of glass I've ever used, focuses super fast, and the build quality is excellent. One of the best bangs for your bucks in photography. I regret that I sold mine and I think I'll be buying one again.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I had the chance to use both a 50 1.2L and the 85 1.2 a while back and I can't even imagine trying to use those lenses wide open on something even remotely moving. Studio glass indeed and I commend anyone who is able to do otherwise.

Edit* - Yes I'm completely blind and somehow missed the FD part. I used EOS.

Verman fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 23, 2013

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

teraflame posted:

I think some of the other people who replied to you missed that you said FD. For what FD 85mms are going for, get something else.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

teraflame posted:

Is outdated mount thats optically inferior to other products, a good use of money? No. Get the Rokinon unless you are stuck in 1978 and can only use an AE.

I doubt you will miss TEH BOKEY.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Update: I love the 40, even after only a midday sun 'does it work' outing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Agreed. It's a fantastic lens and it rarely leaves my camera these days.