Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Great_Gerbil posted:

Did people do that when The Motion Picture came out? It's virtually impossible that the Enterprise in TMP is a simple refit. It has similar components but they're completely different shapes. The ship would have had to be almost completely rebuilt from the keep up.

I noticed that on the scale diagram posted earlier. (Was it in this thread or the other? Can't keep them straight sometimes. :v:) They are wholly different-looking things, with different proportions and lines. It might have been more reasonable to say the ship in the movies was a Constitution II-class, but they had no way of knowing anyone would care that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What do you guys think about the theory floating around that the villain is actually Picard?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Zotix posted:

What do you guys think about the theory floating around that the villain is actually Picard?
Pointless.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
'Trek nerds' were absolutely the intended audience of Star Trek '09. It pretty much directly commented on the 'fandoms' relationship to franchise and film.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'd say that's an inventively stupid theory, but it's not really even inventive. It's just "I want this other Star Trek thing I like to be part of the movie".

I think it'd be really weak-sauce for these movies to have nothing but angry guys from the future as villains.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
All kidding aside, I'd love it to be true just for the sheer amount of meltdowns it would cause. Besides, the more you think about it, the more sense it makes. Mirror universe dudes always have extra hair (check); Picard was responsible for killing Kirk before; and, judging from the poster with the Gherkin in it, if the gold-paved streets of London do indeed get wrecked then it wouldn't surprising to find it was at the hands of a bitter and vengeful Frenchman.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Zotix posted:

I guess posh English people can be victims of profiling too!

More seriously it seems like a very silly idea, Cumberbatch has been chosen probably because of a combination of secret agents being associate with James Bond and British people tending to be cast as villains. As well of being a talented actor of course.

Plus all the evidence we have on Picard shows him to be someone who really wouldn't do something like this. Even when he worried the Federation was under severe threat of infiltration in Conspiracy he investigated in a calm and logical fashion and went to the source of the problem. In The Drumhead he stayed completely within the bounds of the law and procedure to head off the burgeoning McCarthyism and so on.

Man I'm such a nerd.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Picard as the villain? I kind of want to see it happen, even if just for the reaction, but it'd suck for the character and I don't want to see him go out like that.

Perhaps Picard is from the future and is actually trying to fix poo poo but Kirk keeps loving him up. And then we get a line like "IT'S A GOOD THING I LET YOU DIE! I EVEN PULL YOU OUT FROM HEAVEN TO DIE! JERK!" or perhaps it is senile Picard from All Good Things.

EDIT: Oooohhh, I hope if it's Mirror Universe Picard he has a goatee and and has a barechested uniform. And then gently caress it, bring in the cast from DS9 and TNG as mirror universe peeps too and ham it up. Go all out with it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Mirror universe

I hope every movie in this series has a conversation wherein Uhura exclaims "an alternate reality!" as soon as the crew figure out what's going on. Shot as close to identically as possible.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAEkuVgt6Aw&t=1m4s

I've heard people argue that at this point in the trailer that sounds a lot like Picard. It's probably just crazy talk, but whatever. It would be interesting.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
In terms of a general audience keeping up would it be wise for the second alternate timeline TOS film to have the villain be from a mirror universe future?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Great_Gerbil posted:

tl;dr It was necessary to bring existing Trek fans on board for the built-in audience. The alt universe chicanery was necessary because Trekkers are almost neurotic when it comes to small details.

Yeah, this was my point. Even though they were clearly trying to appeal to a whole new audience, they needed the Trekker crowd who may have balked at a straight reboot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wouldn't Picard be like, not born yet?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Zotix posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAEkuVgt6Aw&t=1m4s

I've heard people argue that at this point in the trailer that sounds a lot like Picard. It's probably just crazy talk, but whatever. It would be interesting.

It only sounds like Picard in that he's the highest profile Star Trek character with a British accent. There's nothing else to it.

e: ^^^^^^^^^^^ Yeah according to Memory Alpha Kirk would have been 72 when Picard was born. I think for now we can probably take them at their word that the villain is, in fact, John Harrison.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 18, 2013

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Zotix posted:

Wouldn't be the first time Paramount turned the hero of the TV series into the villain of the movie, to the outrage of the old show's cast and fans. (See my avatar.)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Wouldn't Picard be like, not born yet?

It's Trek, man.

Besides, what happens is that Evil Sherlock punches Spock in the nards, takes his ship, goes to the future, goes to the alternate mirror universe, grabs Evil Picard and is all "Yo, let's rule this hood." and brings him back in time and to the 09 universe and build a gently caress off ship.

EDIT: I kinda really do want to see an evil Picard ham it up with Kirk...hopefully they let Pine go full Shatner if so and Stewart can go epic Shakespere.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

Payndz posted:

Wouldn't be the first time Paramount turned the hero of the TV series into the villain of the movie, to the outrage of the old show's cast and fans. (See my avatar.)

God drat John Voight

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The new film series takes place entirely inside the virtual universe created for Moriarty in that TNG episode. The fabric of this universe has become increasingly warped by Moriarty's interaction with it, with Cumberbatch manifesting as his twisted perception of Picard.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

You can't even have an evil Picard without breaking the character. They had to literally take away his free will and make him into a lumbering monster techno zombie before he could even nominally act as a villain. "Evil Picard" is a non sequitur.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Supercar Gautier posted:

The new film series takes place entirely inside the virtual universe created for Moriarty in that TNG episode. The fabric of this universe has become increasingly warped by Moriarty's interaction with it, with Cumberbatch manifesting as his twisted perception of Picard.

That's brilliant.

Part of me thinks it would be funny if Cumberbatch was indeed a clone of Picard somehow, perhaps left over from Nero's ship, and we cut to a scene of Patrick Stewart in the future on the Enterprise E sipping earl grey and going "What, another one? Again? Eh." and rolling his eyes.

VV Oh :(

Gatts fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 18, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That would be a tricksy special effects shot, though, to have Sir Pat holding things. He has really bad arthritis now. :(

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
We already had an evil Picard and he was played by Tom Hardy.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

We already had an evil Picard and he was played by Tom Hardy.

Nemesis just proves the rule. You can't have an evil Picard without breaking the character.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
Nemesis didn't just break Picard, it drat near broke Star Trek. I think it's the absolute pits. Worse maybe, even, than The Final Frontier.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

STARS Trek didn't stand a chance against Nemesis.

http://youtu.be/lDD-JaHuCJ4?t=41s

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

STARS Trek didn't stand a chance against Nemesis.

http://youtu.be/lDD-JaHuCJ4?t=41s

I hope you feel proud of yourself.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Cellophane S posted:

Nemesis didn't just break Picard, it drat near broke Star Trek. I think it's the absolute pits. Worse maybe, even, than The Final Frontier.

I see someone's judiciously ignoring the movie that did break Star Trek.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Cellophane S posted:

It is certainly worse than The Final Frontier. The "Show me your pain" scene in The Final Frontier puts all of Nemesis, hell almost all of Star Trek, to shame.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

That would be a tricksy special effects shot, though, to have Sir Pat holding things. He has really bad arthritis now. :(
It's okay because he's already seen everything. He's seen it all.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I hope you feel proud of yourself.

You betcha! :ocelot:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Aatrek posted:

ANYHOW, general-release IMAX tickets should be on sale now for May 15th at 8PM. Glad I don't have to stay up for a midnight release this time around!

Is there someplace besides Fandango to look for this, because all I see around me is stuff on the 16th. Though we don't have a real IMAX, just a mini one.

jivjov posted:

To this day I'm impressed but surprised that they bothered to explain the whole parallel universe thing. I mean, they could have just made a Star Trek movie with the TOS characters but not explained anything about it being a different timeline and I think people still would have eaten it up.

Me too. I'm a canon obsessed nerd and I had resigned myself to believing that they were going to just blow it up and reboot it totally. I was pleasantly surprised they did what they did because they absolutely didn't have to. It gives me a lot of good will towards JJ, Orci, and Kurtzman to the point I'll let a lot slide.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Booking is already open for UK cinemas. I should really get around to that, but something is making me hesitate;

I really hope the final 3d is better than it was in the pre-Hobbit IMAX preview. It was really quite bad imo, cardboard-popout objects/overblurred motion/ect, the usual cheapness effects. It was the first 3d thing I've seen which I thought truly detracted from the experience. Both my local liemax and 70mm IMAX cinemas are showing 3d only :ohdear:.

twoot fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 18, 2013

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The plots are starting to get a little repetitive. I'm hoping the next one skips the McGuffin and goes in a new direction.

TMP: Something is going to destroy Earth
II: A madman wants revenge on Kirk
III: The Enterprise crew rescue Spock
IV: Something is going to destroy Earth
V: A madman wants to find god
VI: Continuing the cold with with the Klingons
VII: A madman wants to go to heaven
VIII: Something is going to destroy Earth
IX: A madman wants to live forever
X: A madman wants to destroy Earth
XI: A madman wants to destroy Earth
XII: A madman wants to take over Earth

Destroy Earth: 5/12
Madman: 7/12
Other: 2/12

I know these are a little simplified, but how many more times do we have to see the same thing play out again?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Blistex posted:

The plots are starting to get a little repetitive. I'm hoping the next one skips the McGuffin and goes in a new direction.

TMP: Something is going to destroy Earth
II: A madman wants revenge on Kirk
III: The Enterprise crew rescue Spock
IV: Something is going to destroy Earth
V: A madman wants to find god
VI: Continuing the cold with with the Klingons
VII: A madman wants to go to heaven
VIII: Something is going to destroy Earth
IX: A madman wants to live forever
X: A madman wants to destroy Earth
XI: A madman wants to destroy Earth
XII: A madman wants to take over Earth

Destroy Earth: 5/12
Madman: 7/12
Other: 2/12

I know these are a little simplified, but how many more times do we have to see the same thing play out again?

Are you saying too many Star Trek movies have villains?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The fact that the Federation is apparently based on Earth is a good enough reason why Earth is targeted so much.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

computer parts posted:

The fact that the Federation is apparently based on Earth is a good enough reason why Earth is targeted so much.

My first act as the elected President of the United Federation of Planets is to move the Federation Headquarters to Risa.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I would move it to Romulus. What're you gonna do now, Sela, huh?!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lowen SoDium posted:

My first act as the elected President of the United Federation of Planets is to move the Federation Headquarters to Risa.

No, you fool! Risa is where the hot space babes with the free love are! It's a party planet! You don't threaten that space, move your HQ to Janeway's quarters or Q's backyard or Deep Space 9 or...umm...point is Risa is worth keeping safe.

Then again if your thought is that no one would want to threaten Risa then you might have something.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Gatts posted:

No, you fool! Risa is where the hot space babes with the free love are! It's a party planet! You don't threaten that space, move your HQ to Janeway's quarters or Q's backyard or Deep Space 9 or...umm...point is Risa is worth keeping safe.

Then again if your thought is that no one would want to threaten Risa then you might have something.

It seems to me that most of the villains who have a tendency to threaten Earth with destruction probably wouldn't be too deterred by the "pleasure planet" thing. Villains are either asexual or hypersexual with deviant tendencies, as a rule, and you probably wouldn't get the latter in a JJTrek feature film. Although that would be pretty funny.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

octoroon posted:

It seems to me that most of the villains who have a tendency to threaten Earth with destruction probably wouldn't be too deterred by the "pleasure planet" thing. Villains are either asexual or hypersexual with deviant tendencies, as a rule, and you probably wouldn't get the latter in a JJTrek feature film. Although that would be pretty funny.

Good point. The next movie after this one should have a villain that wants to steal all the hot Earth women for itself. You'll note I said itself.

Aaawww yeeeaahhh.

• Locked thread