Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

What's with the last two nightlies for the GNex being labeled EXPERIMENTAL? I know they usually do EXPERIMENTAL-M3 or whatever for the monthly builds, but there's been several of these randomly nightlies listed as experimental the past few weeks.
They're experimental in that they were tests to see if it would build with the commit listed in the file name included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester

Demostrs posted:

No. I'm going to see if the Unbrick Utility will fix it, if not I may have to contact Amazon and see if their kind enough to replace it, even though flashing a new recovery would void the warranty.

Edit: Is there any way to force a boot in Windows or recognize a device that's off in ADB, because I really can't seem to get this thing back on :smith:

Edit 2: Holy poo poo, Amazon just said they actually WOULD replace the Kindle :aaa:

Best company 2013

Are you me? Because I did the same thing the other day. Mine seemed to get stuck on without the screen turning on, and had to do a hard reset by holding down the power button for ~15-20 seconds to turn it off, and then hit it again to turn it back on. Annoying, but well, it's a 2 year old tablet. I can deal with it.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
There is a popping sound coming from my s3's speaker when I do certain things like click on a link or image, start an app, etc, this is happening even when the phone is muted. Any idea what would cause this?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

I'm hearing alot about this Odin but am not sure, is it device specific?
Odin is the field-flashing tool for Samsung devices. It's used in repair shops to reflash broken firmwares (e.g., from a root gone bad), and can also be used to upgrade/downgrade/change firmware in a general sense. If you find firmware images in .tar or .tar.md5 format, that usually implies it's to be used with Odin.

Since Odin is intended to be used by shop techs, it's essentially gray-market software. Samsung doesn't post Odin builds for public downloads, but they haven't gone after folks who have been posting it.

To my knowledge Odin versions aren't device specific. However, the USB drivers (really just device descriptions with vendor and product IDs) are device specific. I don't know if anyone has made "universal Odin" drivers like they have for "universal ADB" which shares the same problem. For Samsung devices, the Windows USB drivers they host on their support site include Odin support, so it's not usually a problem. Not sure what to say in your case though.

There's also an opensource, Odin-compatible flashing tool, Heimdall. It's intended to serve as an alternative to Odin for folks running Linux or Mac machines, but I think also works in Windows. Heimdall doesn't require device-specific USB drivers (at least, not on Linux/Mac) but often lags behind Odin for supporting the latest flashing protocols. Deepending on how close your device is to an "Exynos 4 reference device", Heimdall may support it out of the box. Or it might not, I don't know.

Now, all that in mind, the Odin protocol allows for flashing of firmware images, but not the dumping of existing device firmware to PC. If you have root on the device, you can do it manually though a few different mechanisms, like "adb push/pull" or assining mmcblk0 to the USB mass storage target if the device kernel supports that. If you're going to do the mass storage bit, make sure the partitions won't be automounted as some Linux desktop environments have a tendency to do that. I'd imagine Windows and Mac do too, not sure how to turn that behavior off.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Can anyone corroborate that awake reporting in nightlies post M3 are broken? I upgraded from 20130329, where it was working fine, to 20130414.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 15, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

Can anyone corroborate that awake reporting in nightlies post M3 are broken? I upgraded from 20130329, where it was working fine, to 20130414.

It hasn't worked since 4.2. This isn't a CM thing, it's an AOSP thing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm not sure if this should go here, the Tasker thread, or just the Android phones thread. I have a Nexus 4, been running CM 10.1 nightlies for a month or so. I had a Tasker task that would turn the volume off at 10 every night and back on at 7:30. Occasionally, the volume would come back up before that time, and I would be awoken by my phone making noise. I disabled the task and started turning the volume down manually before bed, but I've had the same problem. How can I figure out what's reverting my volume in the middle of the night?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

hooah posted:

I'm not sure if this should go here, the Tasker thread, or just the Android phones thread. I have a Nexus 4, been running CM 10.1 nightlies for a month or so. I had a Tasker task that would turn the volume off at 10 every night and back on at 7:30. Occasionally, the volume would come back up before that time, and I would be awoken by my phone making noise. I disabled the task and started turning the volume down manually before bed, but I've had the same problem. How can I figure out what's reverting my volume in the middle of the night?

are you using the newest version of tasker? The older version had a black/blue background, the new one is all white. I was having some problems with tasks not working correctly on the older version.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SeaborneClink posted:

are you using the newest version of tasker? The older version had a black/blue background, the new one is all white. I was having some problems with tasks not working correctly on the older version.

I've updated to the newer version, but I think it updated while I had that particular task disabled, so it did it with the old version, and also without Tasker in the picture (unless the disabled task is still screwing things up).

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Asked before and didn't see any responses, but... no go on rooting the quad-core S3?

It's kind of sad since I bought it thinking that there would be a huge root following. :(

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
International/Quad-core S3 is exynos, significantly harder to work with than the US/dual-core version.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Anyone else running paranoid android on an n7? It seems like the latest build has causes my tablet to freeze literally upwards of 20 times a day. I have to soft reset every single time. Any suggestions on how I can figure out if its the latest update or something else? It will freeze regardless of what I'm doing. It even freezes after I soft reset and then enter my pin to unlock the device. Its becoming increasingly frustrating.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

DemonMage posted:

International/Quad-core S3 is exynos, significantly harder to work with than the US/dual-core version.

sigh

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Not that this answers your question but why do you not use the in-built Quiet Hours?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

tarepanda posted:

Asked before and didn't see any responses, but... no go on rooting the quad-core S3?
I'm sure rooting the international S3 isn't a problem. However nearly everyone here with an S3 has one of the North American models both because of our North American bias, and also because they're much easier devices to custom ROM with.

Unfortunately the two S3s are sufficiently different as to be considered different phones entirely, at least with regard to providing root instructions.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Not that this answers your question but why do you not use the in-built Quiet Hours?

Well, because I didn't know about it! I'll try this for a while and see what happens.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Is it just my phone or is there a bug with the WiFi AP in CM10.1 that causes the phone (in my case, a Sprint Galaxy Nexus) to lose a data connection after awhile? This has happened through multiple 10.1 nightlies as well as now a clean flash of M3. It will happen at random, and if I get a call while using it, the data connection will never recover after the phone call. I have to put it into airplane mode and back out for it to reconnect. It will then last for maybe 10 minutes and happen again.

This never happens when using PDANET.. I have no idea if it happens using USB tethering built into CM10.1.

EDIT: Apparently it happens with PDANET as well. I'm guessing its more a combination of Sprint being Sprint and the antenna in the Galaxy Nexus being weak.

OMGMYSPLEEN fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 17, 2013

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Galaxy Nexus with CM10. I've put on a different nightlies, and it hasn't seemed to fix the issue. Currently I'm running 2013.04.10 via cyandelta.

The issue that I have is that the screen will go black, and I can't wake it. This isn't a daily occurrence even. Sometimes it'll happen a few times in a row, other times it won't happen for a few weeks. It doesn't follow the ROM flashes. From what I can tell it feels like when the phone is getting taxed, installing a load of updates or just swapping between too many apps all at once. It will feel slow for a moment, I turn off the screen with the power button, and then it won't come back until I remove the battery and start fresh. I've been flashing a nightly the next day or 2 after one of the M releases come out, trying to stick close to stable. Cyandelta doesn't seem to actually flash M releases by name (unless I'm set up wrong).

Any idea how I might go about troubleshooting this? I'm a lazy nerd and would rather not do a factory reset... although I may. Biggest issue is I have a lot of music on the phone and not a lot of space for nandroids etc.. oh and I'm lazy. It's starting to annoy me enough at this point I may just do a clean install. I don't have much non cloud based user data so its not too painful.

Sixty-Proof
Jul 23, 2007
So I have an HTC G2 that dies after 5 minutes of use, no matter what the battery is at. Some people have suggested I reset the battery data, and I need to root to do that. But the guide on xda for HTC G2 is from 5 years ago and the Universal Androot doesn't work.

As far as I can tell, all I have to do is root this thing to be able to reset the battery data, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what I am supposed to do.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Sixty-Proof posted:

So I have an HTC G2 that dies after 5 minutes of use, no matter what the battery is at. Some people have suggested I reset the battery data, and I need to root to do that. But the guide on xda for HTC G2 is from 5 years ago and the Universal Androot doesn't work.

As far as I can tell, all I have to do is root this thing to be able to reset the battery data, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what I am supposed to do.

If you're on 2.3.x you'll need to downgrade to factory 2.2 before rooting. Instructions for doing that and then rooting can be found here - I used them successfully a couple months ago.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Sixty-Proof posted:

Resetting the battery data isn't going to fix anything, it's an old snake oil people thought did something back in the 2.1/2.2 era. If it's a G2, it's probably a couple years old, yes? Could just be the hardware or battery dying.

Vimto
Sep 11, 2001
Manchester City F.C

kstatix posted:

Anyone else running paranoid android on an n7? It seems like the latest build has causes my tablet to freeze literally upwards of 20 times a day. I have to soft reset every single time. Any suggestions on how I can figure out if its the latest update or something else? It will freeze regardless of what I'm doing. It even freezes after I soft reset and then enter my pin to unlock the device. Its becoming increasingly frustrating.

A couple of quick questions, have you updated the bootloader and are you using an older kernel ? Bootloader and kernel needs to be updated for the newer versions 3+ of PA. If in doubt full clean install or trawl xda. (as an aside xda original n7 board is where the right thread is)

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Vimto posted:

A couple of quick questions, have you updated the bootloader and are you using an older kernel ? Bootloader and kernel needs to be updated for the newer versions 3+ of PA. If in doubt full clean install or trawl xda. (as an aside xda original n7 board is where the right thread is)

It seems the latest update solved most of the issues I was having. Funny enough the update popped up in goo manager a few minutes after I posted.

All I did was unlock the boot loader and installed cwm, then flashed PA. I didn't mess with kernels or anything with the boot loader other than unlocking. I'm a total newb to rooting and custom ROMs.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Anybody else having problems with the past few CM nightlies? I've been getting a handful(~5) of reboots a day since installing some of the recent nightlies on my d2vzw. I'm on 4/14 right now but had the problem with the couple nighlies before it too. I had been on the old m2 for a long time and hadn't had any problems at all with that one.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sixty-Proof posted:

The battery might be dead. I had similar problems that I kept blaming on bugs/bad roms/htc, then I put a new battery in and realized I'd just roasted the battery from using my phone a lot.

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

Bobert51 posted:

Anybody else having problems with the past few CM nightlies? I've been getting a handful(~5) of reboots a day since installing some of the recent nightlies on my d2vzw. I'm on 4/14 right now but had the problem with the couple nighlies before it too. I had been on the old m2 for a long time and hadn't had any problems at all with that one.

same problem for me with the recent builds using d2vzw. it just randomly resets all day

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sixty-Proof posted:

Resetting the battery data doesn't do anything and in fact the ability to do so is gone from modern recoveries. CWR actually was considering moving it to a menu called Placebos before deciding not to put jokes in the recovery.

Dude is probably right that it's time for a new battery, it's been almost three years.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Bobert51 posted:

I went back to M2 because the phone wouldn't let me turn the screen on upon waking up the other day. Had to do a battery pull to get it to reboot.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Well, because I didn't know about it! I'll try this for a while and see what happens.

And it didn't work either. Woken by am email alert at 4:50 this morning. Why won't my phone stay in silent mode??

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

deong posted:

Galaxy Nexus with CM10. I've put on a different nightlies, and it hasn't seemed to fix the issue. Currently I'm running 2013.04.10 via cyandelta.

The issue that I have is that the screen will go black, and I can't wake it. This isn't a daily occurrence even. Sometimes it'll happen a few times in a row, other times it won't happen for a few weeks. It doesn't follow the ROM flashes. From what I can tell it feels like when the phone is getting taxed, installing a load of updates or just swapping between too many apps all at once. It will feel slow for a moment, I turn off the screen with the power button, and then it won't come back until I remove the battery and start fresh. I've been flashing a nightly the next day or 2 after one of the M releases come out, trying to stick close to stable. Cyandelta doesn't seem to actually flash M releases by name (unless I'm set up wrong).

Any idea how I might go about troubleshooting this? I'm a lazy nerd and would rather not do a factory reset... although I may. Biggest issue is I have a lot of music on the phone and not a lot of space for nandroids etc.. oh and I'm lazy. It's starting to annoy me enough at this point I may just do a clean install. I don't have much non cloud based user data so its not too painful.

Do you have any programs that run in the background? I found telling AdAway to update automatically froze my phone sometimes, and removing Lux removed my hardlocks completely.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

deong posted:

Move to the M3. I was having the same thing until I did and now I'm not.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I'm on the nightly that came out after the M3 I believe. I'll try that. Did you just flash over, or did you do a wipe?

As for apps in the background, um. I have a lot, but nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing that requires root, I typically leave root off unless I need to do something (browse /system etc). Then it goes right back off. I have mostly calendar widgets or music things going.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

deong posted:

I'm on the nightly that came out after the M3 I believe. I'll try that. Did you just flash over, or did you do a wipe?

As for apps in the background, um. I have a lot, but nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing that requires root, I typically leave root off unless I need to do something (browse /system etc). Then it goes right back off. I have mostly calendar widgets or music things going.
I tried the nightly after the M3 the day it came out and I had exactly the symptoms you're describing. The slowdowns were immediate and I could barely get the device to work for five minutes. It was so bad that I rolled back to the M3 and haven't moved and haven't seen a slowdown since.

I do a nandroid before every flash and the next day delete the previous nandroid and make another so all I did was just nandroid back. There's no reason you can't just flash over though, should be fine.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Good to hear.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

deong posted:

Good to hear.
Also you say you're on the tenth, that's the one prior to the M3, not the one after. If you're actually on the one before I'd have to guess that's it's an app causing your problem instead of the ROM itself. I've been blaming Feedly for the slowdowns I was having; they started when I installed it and went away when I uninstalled it. Perhaps you've got an app issue rather than a ROM issue?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Hmm.
I flashed it because they announced the M3. I just of jumped the gun. It's cyandelta, so I just take its word and I don't think it pulls the M versions specifically.

I have just recently installed Feedly. I swear by gReader, and :smith:. I don't use it on my phone so much as on the computer though. I'll give it a few days with M3 and then remove feedly if it keeps on keepin on.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Fuzz posted:

Thanks for this, my girlfriend ended up doing the update anyway while playing The Room, and this basically saved my rear end. Works like a champ.

Motorola's JB implementation is drat nice... kinda tempted to just leave it, because its not slow and bloaty like most default implementations (gently caress you, Sense), and it's really streamlined, for the most part. My only beef is no percentage view on the battery meter, that pisses me off.

I have a Droid Razr (non maxx) and my battery life is a lot worse. Wifi connection is poo poo and so is 4g.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I rooted my E4GT last summer, I think. (I had to if what I did unlocked making a wifi hotspot, right?) You might be able to tell that I completely forget what I used, and how. I want to know the current status of the root (and possibly undo / redo it). I'm unsure from skimming the OP- is there a way to do this? Would just trying to root again brick my phone?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I still can't get my drat phone to stay silent overnight. Tried the built-in silent hours, and they didn't even kick in at 10 pm like they should (at least, I don't think so - the vibrate icon wasn't displayed as it should when I turn the volume all the way down). I've also tried Tasker and turning the volume down manually but it's still up when I wake up. Is there something I can use to check when the volume is changing? That might help to track down the culprit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I loving hate XDA so god damned much right now.