Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

n8r posted:

Four stroke bikes definitely take a bit more touch - especially when you are talking about larger displacements. You also have the problem of people pumping on the throttle when they start it.

My buddys KTM640 you could STAND on the kicker. And you'd just stand there, against compression. If the engine was warm, it would hold you there indefinitely. Cold, you might sink down over five minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shimrod posted:

...if you know how to do it.

We fairly regularly make $100+ in a few minutes betting people that they can't start my mates Thunderbird. If you don't know how to do it exactly the thing is impossible to start.

It's fairly amusing watching people trying to kick it over, then one of us jumps on to show them, fuel on, pump them until you feel some, clutch in, run the kickstarter down 2 and a half times and it starts up straight away.

Yeah, there are certainly techniques to each bike, and even different techniques in the same model depending on level of tune or lack of maintenance. As n8r said, you also get the people who are dead set that they need to wrench the throttle open when they kick the bike, which generally doesnt help anything.

If you have to take a flying leap and do a WWF move on your kickstarter you're doing something wrong.

Nerobro posted:

My buddys KTM640 you could STAND on the kicker. And you'd just stand there, against compression. If the engine was warm, it would hold you there indefinitely. Cold, you might sink down over five minutes.

No decomp lever?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Nerobro posted:

Holy poo poo that's a hilarious image.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah, there are certainly techniques to each bike, and even different techniques in the same model depending on level of tune or lack of maintenance. As n8r said, you also get the people who are dead set that they need to wrench the throttle open when they kick the bike, which generally doesnt help anything.

If you have to take a flying leap and do a WWF move on your kickstarter you're doing something wrong.

No decomp lever?

Nope. No hot-start either. It was the super-comp version or something. It was a special butterfly version of the 640. Aluminum subframe, no decomp, no charging system, but with AC off the stator to power tail/brake/headlights.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I can verify that my RD400 was easy as hell to kick over. I really hope it tries to break my ankle at least once with the new cylinders, tighter squish, and (reasonably) higher compression.

Content:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

n8r posted:

Four stroke bikes definitely take a bit more touch - especially when you are talking about larger displacements. You also have the problem of people pumping on the throttle when they start it.

On my old bike I had to give it a slight bit of throttle to start, it took a week to get the hang of starting it under various circumstances but after that it was a piece of cake, unless it was just about warmed up enough to go off choke, but not quite.

I'd love another bike with a kickstarter, it's neat and makes you feel like a bad rear end.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Yerok posted:

I can verify that my RD400 was easy as hell to kick over. I really hope it tries to break my ankle at least once with the new cylinders, tighter squish, and (reasonably) higher compression.

Content:

You should get a set of Hagon shocks - best $200 I've spent on my RD recently (aside from pipes of course). You really should get rid of your passenger pegs as well.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Nerobro posted:

Nope. No hot-start either. It was the super-comp version or something. It was a special butterfly version of the 640. Aluminum subframe, no decomp, no charging system, but with AC off the stator to power tail/brake/headlights.

If it's the one I'm thinking of(KTM 620 supercomp with wonderfully 90's graphics?):

That bike also caught fire and burned a horrible fiery death after someone crashed a jump. drat that was a sweet bike though.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Skreemer posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of(KTM 620 supercomp with wonderfully 90's graphics?):

That bike also caught fire and burned a horrible fiery death after someone crashed a jump. drat that was a sweet bike though.

That's the one. :-) I almost lost my motorcycles in a flood yesterday...

That was my driveway at 10am.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Saw this in the wild last Sunday. Mostly stock with dime city pipes and headlight bracket,custom seat and bars from a different bike. The owner said it took first in stock modified cafe class at barber. It also had little brackets dabbed up to move the fenders for bigger tires.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

That tail with that seat look silly at best.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Shimrod posted:

...if you know how to do it.

We fairly regularly make $100+ in a few minutes betting people that they can't start my mates Thunderbird. If you don't know how to do it exactly the thing is impossible to start.

It's fairly amusing watching people trying to kick it over, then one of us jumps on to show them, fuel on, pump them until you feel some, clutch in, run the kickstarter down 2 and a half times and it starts up straight away.

Yep, until the carbs were tuned my Dnepr was a SOB to start. Even after, it was still - hit the carb ticklers on each carb, kick it a little until it feels like it's engaged at the top, and then kick and give it a little throttle at the same time.

Before that it could be a 15 minute nightmare sometimes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
did someone say wonderfully 90's grafix?

My new ride.
96 CBR600 F3
6500 miles and clean as gently caress. there's not even garage dust on it. It's been kept in a climate controlled bubble.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

did someone say wonderfully 90's grafix?

My new ride.
96 CBR600 F3
6500 miles and clean as gently caress. there's not even garage dust on it. It's been kept in a climate controlled bubble.

Wanna ride that bike in gaudy hi-vis yellow leathers

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

I prefer the "desert storm" graphic, but that's still a pretty rad bike. Makes me want to play some Street Fighter II for some reason.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
^^that is downright sexy.
At least with mine I can still rock it ironically and play it cool. (although I really think it's loving rad.)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Rev. Dr. Mo Lester

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nsOY6VzPA0&t=86s

Imagine this from the car's view

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

This is a thing of glory.

If he'd been slightly more involved and in a pack, it would have looked like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ2M7cpLGC4

Z3n fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 20, 2013

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

n8r posted:

You should get a set of Hagon shocks - best $200 I've spent on my RD recently (aside from pipes of course). You really should get rid of your passenger pegs as well.

Where'd you get them from? I've actually been looking into a new suspension setup and I couldn't decide on what shocks to run. Did you do anything with the front end in addition to the new rear suspension? Right now I'm running stock fork springs with slightly heavier than stock oil.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Group ride.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCa4J0L_h5Q

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3QfR0iPHAY

I just spent an hour watching hit and miss engines on Youtube, these things are so awesome. TL;DR: They have heavy fly wheels to keep the engine turning, and only inject fuel and combust when the fly wheels slow down.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hayden. posted:

I just spent an hour watching hit and miss engines on Youtube, these things are so awesome. TL;DR: They have heavy fly wheels to keep the engine turning, and only inject fuel and combust when the fly wheels slow down.

that's a sick beat

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Reminds me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAXa3wTZjes

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Yerok posted:

Where'd you get them from? I've actually been looking into a new suspension setup and I couldn't decide on what shocks to run. Did you do anything with the front end in addition to the new rear suspension? Right now I'm running stock fork springs with slightly heavier than stock oil.

http://www.hagonshocksusa.com/

I got the $200 ones slimline black springs - I think they look great. I am not totally sure if the frontend of my bike is stock. Right now I have to say I think whatever the setup was it's working pretty well and I think the fronts and rears match up pretty well. I was contemplating for quite a while doing a full racetech setup, but I'm holding off on that for now.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I think I like the original even better (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYgmdhsrPu4)

Every laundry day would feel like a season premiere of Battlestar Galactica

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

nsaP posted:

Group ride.mp4
I like how he falls off the bike and bike's like "Eh, gently caress that guy" and keeps going.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

Every laundry day would feel like a season premiere of Battlestar Galactica

Now I wanna make this video if it hasn't already been made.

Edit: Good enough, mute the one on the left, and don't watch if you don't want the series spoiled for you.

http://youtubedoubler.com/7ThX

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 20, 2013

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

hayden. posted:

IOM TT racer and all around cool dude Guy Martin has one of those, in his living room. Ya know, because you never know when you're going to need one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8EU0wlT-js

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Guy Martin is the greatest guy ever :3:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yes. Yes he is. And I still haven't understood a word he said yet.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
5:30 Guy Martin corrects someone's pronunciation.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
He's right though there is no R in Bath.

echomadman fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 21, 2013

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Which one of you goons took this picture? I remember seeing it on here a while ago, I can't remember if it was this thread or the riding game one;

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
almost wanna watch this movie.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Slim Pickens posted:

You actually do want to watch it. It's deliciously cheesy.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Haha! Holy poo poo I'll never unsee that :)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I went to the Saturday and Sunday festivities of MotoGP at the Circuit of the Americas. Surprisingly, the Moto3 races were the most exciting. Moto2 was pretty boring, and MotoGP was uninteresting after about the first 2 laps. At that point there was very little going on, other than a 30 second lead.

Spaniards won all three races.

Click to embiggen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slim Pickens posted:

I own the DVD. I didn't like it a lot. Ed Harris puts in a great performance as always though.