Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Six weeks is what was quoted to my girlfriend when she brought home our two rabbits from a pet store. It's funny how drastically my view of that store changed after learning all about house rabbits and seeing the complete lack of information on caring for them from the place.

The337th fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

The337th posted:

Six weeks is what was quoted to my girlfriend when she brought home our two rabbits from a pet store. It's funny how drastically my view of that store changed after learning all about house rabbits and seeing the complete lack of information on caring for them from the place.

Join the club... of people who have no idea what they got themselves into. If you're a little patient and you're not overly attached to your furniture you'll probably end up loving them though. There was good advice in this thread though particularly that you find the rabbit savvy vet and also read rabbit.org carefully. I think most importantly it's that you shouldn't listen to pet stores OR other people about what's good for a rabbit because people don't know poo poo.

Pet stores are pretty bad about this. They sell "toys" that are held together with big chunks of glue, food that's basically sawdust and sugar, wood shavings that give rabbits respiratory problems, cages so small you wouldn't house a rat in there, and so on. One of my rabbits (the brown one in the picture) was a pet store rabbit and was basically given to me by a friend who could no longer handle taking care of her. Because holy poo poo she has mental problems. And I mean way more than any normal rabbit should have. Mainly aggression and abandonment issues. It's pretty obvious that this comes from her being removed from her mother at a far too young age. That's what you're buying if you get one from a pet store.

That's not a guarantee or anything, yours might turn out fine. But make sure you get them spayed/neutered on time and you'll probably have to separate them for a while or they will have already started making babies.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
The337th, what kind of rabbit did you get? We pray that you don't have a female dwarf (but will welcome you with open arms if you do)

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Oh, I was just sharing that I had the same experience as what Mr. Confetti just posted.

It's been almost 2 years since my girlfriend did what so many people do and came home with a bunny purchased on a whim (What a deal! A bunny, a cage thats too small in no time flat, and some horrible quality pellets!). Fortunately I was unemployed at the time and bored enough that I spent that whole day studying up on rabbits, since I'd never had one as a pet. We later tried to convince someone she knew at that store to pass around the idea of giving away print outs with sold bunnies that at least had basic information on care, but that never happened. I haven't been to that store in over a year at this point, it's way too frustrating seeing bunnies in the same situation, such bad odds for them ending up in a good home.

The337th fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 19, 2013

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

The337th posted:

Oh, I was just sharing that I had the same experience as what Mr. Confetti just posted.

Woops I totally just assumed that all of the newbie avatar people in here are the same person. :o: Pretend my previous post was addressed to Mr Confetti.

Of course the silver lining here is that there are definitely also people who buy a rabbit on a whim but then put some effort into finding out how to properly care for it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I had a couple bunnies as a kid so.I set to researching them. I even custom modded a cage with split levels for Harriet.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

I even custom modded a cage with split levels for Harriet.
Can you post about that? I was thinking of doing something similar with a dog kennel if I get rabbits again, since it seems big enough to easily accommodate multiple levels and still have a lot of floor space.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
My brother-in-law came over to borrow some DVDs and had been petting Cilantro while we chatted. He stopped petting her when we got to discussing our weekend plans when I look over and see Cilantro laying on her belly with her head in the water bowl. It was turned to one side and she was soaked from chin to ear on her left side. I picked her up, dried her off, and asked her if that was her version of a cry for help.

Why does my rabbit lay with its face in the water dish?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Can you post about that? I was thinking of doing something similar with a dog kennel if I get rabbits again, since it seems big enough to easily accommodate multiple levels and still have a lot of floor space.

Well, I can take picture later this week. The cage is at my folks place right now, because I bought Harriet a bigger cage when I realized she was growing faster than I anticipated.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

pseudonordic posted:

My brother-in-law came over to borrow some DVDs and had been petting Cilantro while we chatted. He stopped petting her when we got to discussing our weekend plans when I look over and see Cilantro laying on her belly with her head in the water bowl. It was turned to one side and she was soaked from chin to ear on her left side. I picked her up, dried her off, and asked her if that was her version of a cry for help.

Why does my rabbit lay with its face in the water dish?

So dramatical!

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me
Does anyone else's rabbit have a thing for an object? Holly chin-marks my MacBook every chance she gets, and yesterday, she started grooming it. :psyduck:

I've heard of rabbits grooming their owner's pillow or couch or whatever, but a hard, plastic laptop is a new one.

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

Punch-drunk tears of a clone.
xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 16, 2017

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

look at that sweet butterface :3:

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
Oh Butter!

Hana your rabbit brings joy to my day. I've to deal with two sets of nails, teeth, headbutts, spillages and complete disregard of litter training. I bet he poops rainbows (but only in the litter tray)

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Pig Boots posted:

Does anyone else's rabbit have a thing for an object? Holly chin-marks my MacBook every chance she gets, and yesterday, she started grooming it. :psyduck:

I've heard of rabbits grooming their owner's pillow or couch or whatever, but a hard, plastic laptop is a new one.

Pepper likes the pad I keep my laptop on, but I think she just might like the taste of the nylon.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
I'm hoping perhaps someone might have a bit of insight into this:

Our 12-year old netherland dwarf keeps fighting off congestion; namely, a runny nose. We've treated her multiple times for antibiotic resistant pasteurella, yet she still suffers from some degree of congestion. Our vet has looked into some other off-the shelf medication to use to treat pasteurella and some of it has been a bit of a hit-and-miss. Injectables have been much easier, though, to administer than oral medication. She doesn't have molar spurs, impacted teeth, or tumors / swelling.

Short of keeping her room clean (no vinyl floor, humidity setting at 56%, plenty of exercise-run around time outside the room, furnace air-handler and filters changed for HEPA-based ones, no chemical cleaners, blocked-off drafts) does anyone have any interesting tips they know that has helped to relieve congestion?

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.

Pig Boots posted:

Man, if there's anything I know about rabbits, it's that they'll groom loving anything.

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

Punch-drunk tears of a clone.
xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 16, 2017

kells
Mar 19, 2009
Lily is not amused.

On a more serious note what's a good brush? We have a few brushes from pet shops but Lily seems to produce an endless amount of fur - after patting time I have to gather up a pile of loose hair the size of her head.

She hates her current wooden handled brush and if she comes across it she tries to eat it :3:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

the Furminator is amazing. I think that it made another bunny out of the fur I collected from B and P.

Speaking of B and P. Paterson is still constantly on the prowl around my apartment is is getting into everything as he does this. I have never seen him so active or interested in things and I'm starting to wonder if he had some kind of a brain parasite for 5 years and the Panacur got rid of it and now he's suddenly smart. Is that possible :tinfoil:

Nothing is safe:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

luscious posted:

Nothing is safe:

Oh please, you left it right there. Yesterday, Ella ran off with part of the sandwitch I had been holding IN MY HAND. And what did she escape with? Turkey. She was trying to eat the turkey. She also loves to bolt out of my room, into the laundry, and steal cat food. Fortunately, she is finally eating hay so when she does that, she's banned from snacks and only allowed to eat hay and water for the rest of the day. And she can certainly put away the hay.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh please, you left it right there. Yesterday, Ella ran off with part of the sandwitch I had been holding IN MY HAND. And what did she escape with? Turkey. She was trying to eat the turkey. She also loves to bolt out of my room, into the laundry, and steal cat food. Fortunately, she is finally eating hay so when she does that, she's banned from snacks and only allowed to eat hay and water for the rest of the day. And she can certainly put away the hay.

You think that's bad? Harriet used to climb onto my couch back, then onto my shoulder to try to steal my beer as I was drinking it! (I fortunatly never let her have any, but still)

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Yesterday I found Paterson quite possibly eating chicken. He opened the delivery container and I found him there chewing on something. He seems fine but what the gently caress.

kells
Mar 19, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

You think that's bad? Harriet used to climb onto my couch back, then onto my shoulder to try to steal my beer as I was drinking it! (I fortunatly never let her have any, but still)

Lily tries very hard to get at my diet coke!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I made Paterson a little nook in the closet that he loves being in the most. I'm hoping that he will stop peeing everywhere now. I also bought a runner carpet for the hallway so he can prance around and feel good and not like his legs are sliding out everywhere.

I have found him "eating" the fringe a few times. I might have to cut it off. I really don't care for it either way.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The very first time Gordon stole food or hopped on anyone was when I was baking cinnamon buns. She went nuts while they were baking, then hopped directly into my sister's lap and stole a piece. Now Ms. Freeman steals food with impunity. God help you if you try to eat in my home, you will have a rabbit on or near your lap doing the old starving child routine.

If she hears food she has to check it out. I'll feed her, then sit down to eat almost the exact same thing as her with just a bit more cow, and she'll act like I'm trying to fake her out with a vegetable. THAT'S GREAT BUT YOU ALREADY GAVE ME A SALAD CAN I HAVE SOME OF YOUR FRENCH FRIES?

I don't have any French fries and you couldn't have them anyway.

ARE YOU SURE?

Ever play the “if my rabbit could talk (and deigned to talk to me)" game? I imagine the top two phrases would be HEY. ARE YOU ASLEEP? and CAN I HAVE SOME OF THAT?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

"I WANT SOME CHICKEN"

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

Man, if there's anything I know about rabbits, it's that they'll groom loving anything.

Except you. I've come to accept my rabbit as a housemate rather than a pet. She doesn't pay rent and she shits everywhere but she's still the best housemate I have. I came home today after being away since Sunday night and she practically knocked the cage door down the second I came in the room, then came to sit on my bed next to me after I gave her her veg. She's still here next to me just chilling and licking my duvet, having taken a few breaks to amble around the room. Dunno why, I've been away for longer before and she usually reacts with utter indifference to my return.

Also Butter is loving adorable, he's like a bunnypuppy

edit: To add to the topic of bunnies stealing your loving food, the other day my mate left a massive pack of crisps on the floor when he went to the toilet. As soon as he left the room, Juppo had grabbed it and run across the room with it. It was at least twice the size of her. Later, she was sniffing round the peanut butter and mayo muffin I'd made for lazydinner and started nibbling on the edge of the bread. I didn't even have time to think 'aww that's adorable' before she wrenched the entire thing out of my hand and ran off with it. Had to chase her down because I don't imagine peanut butter and mayo is great for rabbits and also goddamn it that was my dinner

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 23, 2013

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I just caught Paterson eating chicken. What.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

happyflurple posted:

Except you. I've come to accept my rabbit as a housemate rather than a pet. She doesn't pay rent and she shits everywhere but she's still the best housemate I have. I came home today after being away since Sunday night and she practically knocked the cage door down the second I came in the room, then came to sit on my bed next to me after I gave her her veg. She's still here next to me just chilling and licking my duvet, having taken a few breaks to amble around the room. Dunno why, I've been away for longer before and she usually reacts with utter indifference to my return.

Just wait. One day she'll be grooming your foot and you'll get up to do something and she'll growl and stomp on it because she isn't done yet.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

"Today I learned that I love rooibos tea! I learned that by drinking it purely for attention!"

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

grack posted:

Just wait. One day she'll be grooming your foot and you'll get up to do something and she'll growl and stomp on it because she isn't done yet.

I live for that day!

Also for the day when she becomes a lover of herbal teas.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer

luscious posted:

I just caught Paterson eating chicken. What.

Was he really eating the chicken, or was he just licking the salt off of it?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

gizmojumpjet posted:

Was he really eating the chicken, or was he just licking the salt off of it?

Unsure. Hopefully licking the salt off of it.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Anyone know if Advantage II is safe for buns? Rabbit.org okays vanilla Advantage but I'm unsure about the pyriproxyfen. I'd rather not have to drive out to my vet to get Revolution again (though I will call before treating him with anything, thought I'd ask here first)

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Bitsy is so sweet to me now. All that she wants to do is have me pet her. Poor baby is all love now that Paterson is off exploring (and licking everything).

I just caught her drinking more tea. Herbal. Ugh. Nothing is safe on the floor anymore between his constant digging around and licking and her attention seeking drinking.

luscious fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 25, 2013

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

Anyone know if Advantage II is safe for buns? Rabbit.org okays vanilla Advantage but I'm unsure about the pyriproxyfen. I'd rather not have to drive out to my vet to get Revolution again (though I will call before treating him with anything, thought I'd ask here first)

Check with your vet to be sure, but it seems to be safe from what I can find. According to this pyriproxyfen is non-irritant to rabbit skin, only mildly irritant to rabbit eyes, and there were no observed adverse effects in mothers or fetuses at up to 300 mg/kg body weight per day.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

luscious posted:

"Today I learned that I love rooibos tea! I learned that by drinking it purely for attention!"

My late Camille loved tea. The vet said she couldn't have any, though, so that was a fun fight. She took it cold, like a proper Southern lady.

Pepper just wants wine.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Harriet apparently likes eggs it seems. Silly furball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

alucinor posted:

Check with your vet to be sure, but it seems to be safe from what I can find. According to this pyriproxyfen is non-irritant to rabbit skin, only mildly irritant to rabbit eyes, and there were no observed adverse effects in mothers or fetuses at up to 300 mg/kg body weight per day.

They claimed all OTC flea treatments aren't safe for exotics and that I should always use Revolution for my bun. My vet tends to be on the conservative side though. What I've been able to glean from online sources agrees with you, if the fleas continue past this treatment I'll probably give Advantage II a go.