Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
I didn't make this, it was done by a member of another forum I visit.

The entire thing is a woodcarving, even the box. It was just painted after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I think I've seen his stuff before and it is amazing. Do you have a link to his gallery?

Dishman
Jul 2, 2007
Slimy Bastard
So tablesaw talk... had to use one of those portable ryobi tablesaws the other day to make some cabinet hangers "in a pinch". Holy gently caress. Death machine. Used it with the stock metal stand (bolted with toggle bolts... in a pinch). I literally jumped back just from the noise of the thing starting and thought I'd lost it from the start.

Each cut tracked away about an 1/8" down the length, but across 40" I was like gently caress it man good enough. Work fine, not doing the install, overall success :) :(

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

pageerror404 posted:

I didn't make this, it was done by a member of another forum I visit.

The entire thing is a woodcarving, even the box. It was just painted after.

Holy poo poo. Do you have a link to more pictures?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

mds2 posted:

Holy poo poo. Do you have a link to more pictures?

Reverse image search got me to this.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?161218-quot-old-money-quot&s=c4431e96793eb370b4ac828bbb4543da

My mind is pretty well blown.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
That wasn't even the finished picture. Here is it 100% done.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Blistex posted:

What's he asking?

If you're fine with the price, I'd go for it. It's cast iron, you can swap motors easily if you want, and if it feels right (no loose or crappy adjustments) then I'd say go for it. Throw on a link belt and a Delta fence*, and you'll have a table that will do better work than you're capable of.

*new fence isn't always necessary. Maybe this one works well, or maybe you don't care. I have a fence that I have to use a square on every time I adjust it and it doesn't bother me.

Lowest he'll go is $200. Cheapest one I've seen so far that is cast iron though. I'll give it a few days and see if he'll come down a bit.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Could you post some of the specs? Motor HP, blade size, table dimensions, etc. It looks like a good unit, and one that you could turn into a great unit after a few additions. Is he far from where you live? If not, you could show up, have him start it up and cut a piece of wood and see what you think. Give all the adjustments a go, and then throw $150 on the table. It's sort of a dick move (depending on how smoothly you do it), but I find that when someone sees the cash right in front of them, 9 times out of 10 they'll take a hit to get it out of there.

Hell, if the unit impresses you, I'd say that $200 would be worth it. I see a lot of contractor saws (the light bent metal ones) go for nearly that much.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

bimmian posted:

Lowest he'll go is $200. Cheapest one I've seen so far that is cast iron though. I'll give it a few days and see if he'll come down a bit.

I think $200 is a bit high for a no name brand.

What about any of these?
http://toledo.craigslist.org/tls/3690944430.html
http://toledo.craigslist.org/tls/3723070904.html

Here's one that's probably worth $200 depending on condition; these were excellent saws.
http://toledo.craigslist.org/tls/3728782106.html

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

wormil posted:

I think $200 is a bit high for a no name brand.

What about any of these?
http://toledo.craigslist.org/tls/3690944430.html
http://toledo.craigslist.org/tls/3723070904.html

Here's one that's probably worth $200 depending on condition; these were excellent saws.
http://toledo.craigslist.org/tls/3728782106.html

Guess I shouldn't have filter by pictures only! Going to contact them to get some pics.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Here's record bin I've been working on. Built out of 1 sheet of maple veneered plywood. I did all the cuts with a skillsaw and straight edge. I countersunk all the screws and plugged the holes with walnut plugs I made on my new drillpress.

I want to try doing an inlay on the front, and build a small dovetail drawer for underneath the top shelf. I also have some walnut edge banding to cover the plywood edges.

Here's an update on this one, put the second coat of oil on it tonight. Still need to build a drawer, but need to wait for the sliders first.

Close up of my second inlay, I did a small shape on the back. I made it from walnut burl veneer, birds-eye maple and purpleheart.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Here's an update on this one, put the second coat of oil on it tonight. Still need to build a drawer, but need to wait for the sliders first.

Close up of my second inlay, I did a small shape on the back. I made it from walnut burl veneer, birds-eye maple and purpleheart.

Looks great! I've seen that record stand plan before and have been thinking about building it... not sure if my record collection is large enough to warrant it quite yet but nice to see how well it can turn out with a little loving finish work.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Meow Meow Meow posted:

How was the inlay? (difficult, not so difficult?) I have a small project that I'd like to try it on but I'm afraid my idea might be too complicated for a first time although it would probably be easy for an experienced person.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What was everyone's first woodworking project that they were really proud of? I'm trying to get (more) into woodworking, since I've done a few little things here and there but don't really have the skills I'd like to have, and I'd like to get some ideas for stuff I can do to learn the ropes.

I have a great lumber store down the road that sells a huge variety of hardwoods, so I'd like to make use of it!

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

QPZIL posted:

What was everyone's first woodworking project that they were really proud of? I'm trying to get (more) into woodworking, since I've done a few little things here and there but don't really have the skills I'd like to have, and I'd like to get some ideas for stuff I can do to learn the ropes.

I have a great lumber store down the road that sells a huge variety of hardwoods, so I'd like to make use of it!

Have you made an end grain cutting board yet? I think it is one of the best beginner projects, it really shows you if you can make something square and flat.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

mds2 posted:

Have you made an end grain cutting board yet? I think it is one of the best beginner projects, it really shows you if you can make something square and flat.

That actually looks perfect. I was going to do either a cutting board or a plank-style votive candle holder, but both of those were basically "cut piece of wood, sand, finish." A little... too easy. But the end-grain design looks awesome.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
I was cleaning out my moms basement and found this at the bottom of a pile of junk:

Good timing considering I've been keeping an eye out for a hand plane. Quite surprised it isn't in worse shape considering it's been sitting in a damp basement for at least 12 years, everything rusts down there. Plenty of guides out there on refinishing or restoring these, shouldn't be too bad considering the shape of some of the other examples people have posted previously.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

That is in really really good shape. To make it a user all you really need to do is 1. sharpen the blade and 2. flatten the sole.

I draw lines on the bottom of mine with a sharpie, then run them back and forth over 150 grit sandpaper till the lines are gone.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Good idea with the sharpie, I'll have to do that.

I don't currently have anything for sharpening tools, though I've been looking for options for my chisels (and now hand plane) and also forster bits. Any recommendations for either?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

bimmian posted:

Good idea with the sharpie, I'll have to do that.

I don't currently have anything for sharpening tools, though I've been looking for options for my chisels (and now hand plane) and also forster bits. Any recommendations for either?

I just grabbed a set of Norton water stones and WOW. I didnt know what sharp was until I tried them out. I can now shave with all my chisels and planes, for real. A cheaper way to get started is the "scary sharp" method in which you use sandpaper. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scary_sharp

Do get a good honing guide though. It can make quite a bit of difference. I picked up this one the other day, and am pretty happy with it. It doesnt hold chisels the greatest but it works. http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Larson-800-1800-Honing-Guide/dp/B000CFNCKS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366134457&sr=8-1&keywords=honing+guide

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Seeing as how I can't afford a power planer/jointer, I'm in the market for a hand planer so that I can get started on my cutting board/whatever projects. Is there any specific brand I should look out for? I'm looking to get a jack plane as an all-purpose guy, but what else should I know?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

QPZIL posted:

I made a bunch of those free standing wine bottle holders out of exotic hardwoods and gave them away as gifts one Christmas season. It is a good project just to see peoples WTF faces when you show them how it works.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

QPZIL posted:

Seeing as how I can't afford a power planer/jointer, I'm in the market for a hand planer so that I can get started on my cutting board/whatever projects. Is there any specific brand I should look out for? I'm looking to get a jack plane as an all-purpose guy, but what else should I know?

All of my metal planes I have gotten second hand, either at auctions or thrift stores. I look for ones with little rust, handles that arent broken, all parts are there, and a blade that doesnt look like it has been terribly abused. Now that I have a grinder the blade isnt that big of a concern.

I have a stanley #4 which I use tons, a pretty decent stanley block plane with an adjustable mouth, and I just recently bought an old craftsman #6. I paid $9 for each one.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Also useful: The 10-cent sharpening system.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

QPZIL posted:

I'm looking to get a jack plane as an all-purpose guy, but what else should I know?

The most common is: http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm#num5
The Stanley #5. Supposedly the pre-WWII planes are better and it's probably true as manufacturing standards declined after that. I have a pre-WWII jointer plane and the blade adjustment is much smoother than my 90's British made Stanley although mechanically they are nearly identical.

There are other good brands beside Stanley but I'm not familiar with most of them (I'm not very familiar with Stanleys for that matter). Some to maybe look for would be Sargent, Union, Craftsman, and Record. The tricky thing is some companies made handyman quality tools, some made professional quality tools, and some made both. If you know what you're buying, you can get a steal; if not you can get fleeced. I think that is why most people just stick with Stanley.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
Ahh plane talk, my favorite. That #3 you found in the basement is in absolutely phenomenal condition. Basically as good as you can hope for. Just wash it, wipe the metal parts with mineral oil, sharpen it, and lap the sole (ugh) and its ready for another 60 years. Additionally if you really don't like the patina, pick up a $40 double buffer from harbor freight and then go to Home Depot or lowes and buy a brass wire brush wheel for like $8. That thing will clean off all the rust easily and it won't harm the metal underneath at all. This is a recent discovery of mine,

As far as my first project, I guess it would have been a crappy workbench or a picket fence. The first intricate thing was a saw handle I carved.

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

QPZIL posted:

I also think the pre WWII planes are the best, they just seem to work better and have better mechanisms, unless you're ready to start buying some nice Lie-Nielsen stuff. If I were you, I'd set up that #3 as a smoothing plane, then look for a #5 and a #7. Set the #5 up with a cambered blade a la Christopher Schwarz's jack plane and the #7 as a jointer. With those and a small block plane you'll be set. Until you realize that you need a router plane, a rabbet plane, a few shoulder planes, a moving fillister would be cool. Oh look at this plow plane, I need that. A whole set of moulding planes, why not? Oh god it never stops...

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

wormil posted:

How was the inlay? (difficult, not so difficult?) I have a small project that I'd like to try it on but I'm afraid my idea might be too complicated for a first time although it would probably be easy for an experienced person.

The inlay wasn't very difficult, much easier than I expected. I cut the shapes first then traced them with an exacto knife, then i used a router make the hole.

The hardest part was that the walnut veneer I used wasn't exactly the flattest and i didn't mark the orientation when I traced it. I tried to do a tiny bit of widening with a chisel which left a small amount of chipping unfortunately. The maple and purpleheart went in alot easier and cleaner.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Speaking more of planes, I did some sole flattening yesterday. I used 80 grit glued to scrap granite countertop then later to my TS top.

First on a crappy Buck Bros block plane, maybe it'll be less crappy now. It's nice and flat except for a tiny hollow halfway between the blade and heel, shouldn't hurt anything.

Then revisited my British Stanley which I flattened around 15 years ago but it needed flattening again or maybe I did a poor job the first time. It still has 2 hollows, one ahead and one aft of the blade. I'll keep working on it.

Last I tried to flatten my transitional jointer but failed. The granite block I used is only 16" long but the jointer is 24" long and it wasn't working out. I hated to do it but glued sandpaper right to my tablesaw.

After granite.

After using tablesaw top. I ended up using another plane to speed things up. Still some work to go.

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

wormil posted:

Speaking more of planes, I did some sole flattening yesterday. I used 80 grit glued to scrap granite countertop then later to my TS top.

First on a crappy Buck Bros block plane, maybe it'll be less crappy now. It's nice and flat except for a tiny hollow halfway between the blade and heel, shouldn't hurt anything.

Then revisited my British Stanley which I flattened around 15 years ago but it needed flattening again or maybe I did a poor job the first time. It still has 2 hollows, one ahead and one aft of the blade. I'll keep working on it.

Last I tried to flatten my transitional jointer but failed. The granite block I used is only 16" long but the jointer is 24" long and it wasn't working out. I hated to do it but glued sandpaper right to my tablesaw.

After granite.

After using tablesaw top. I ended up using another plane to speed things up. Still some work to go.

Quite a coincidence. If I see that correctly, it looks like the stanley transitional with the black hardware, in which case I have that same plane and also flattened it over the weekend. I did it with sandpaper, table saw top and spray adhesive and then ran my smoothing plane over it at the end. Seems to be pretty flat. How do you like yours? I have an old Bailey #7 that I seem to gravitate more towards but for really long edges I'll use the transitional.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Tempus Fugit posted:

Quite a coincidence. If I see that correctly, it looks like the stanley transitional with the black hardware, in which case I have that same plane and also flattened it over the weekend. I did it with sandpaper, table saw top and spray adhesive and then ran my smoothing plane over it at the end. Seems to be pretty flat. How do you like yours? I have an old Bailey #7 that I seem to gravitate more towards but for really long edges I'll use the transitional.

It's a Siegley transitional but basically identical to a Stanley #31. I haven't used it yet. Bought it months back for $20 off Craigslist and am just getting around to flattening it. It was really filthy with some rust. I haven't even sharpened the blade yet. The Siegley has a lot of backlash, like all my planes, but adjusts easily compared to my British Stanley #4. The back is getting close to flat but the front corner isn't even touching sandpaper yet.

I posted the Siegley in the restoration thread here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461244&pagenumber=3#post410833998

The plane swap with mds2 has me thinking I should just make a bunch of wood planes as my smoother and block plane are not the best.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Speaking of, I started your plane yesterday. I'd like to get a better iron for it, but what I have will work.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

I built this tonight and tried sharpening one of my chisels. Worked great, got it way sharper than I could do on the stone.

My new bent gouge came in the mail yesterday so I finally got to work on my gun stock again. Here's my progress so far.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Is that a Cooey .22?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mds2 posted:

Speaking of, I started your plane yesterday. I'd like to get a better iron for it, but what I have will work.

I started one then realized my planes needed tuning up before I could build a plane. What are you using for irons? I was thinking vintage iron but I definitely need to get one before glue up.

Speaking of irons... check out these irons from Nice Ash Planes. A freaking 1/4" thick.
http://shop.niceashplanes.com/Plane-Iron-pi15.htm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wormil fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 20, 2013

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Blistex posted:

Is that a Cooey .22?

It sure is!

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

wormil posted:

I started one then realized my planes needed tuning up before I could build a plane. What are you using for irons? I was thinking vintage iron but I definitely need to get one before glue up.

Speaking of irons... check out these irons from Nice Ash Planes. A freaking 1/4" thick.
http://shop.niceashplanes.com/Plane-Iron-pi15.htm

I bought a bunch of Great Neck brand irons on Amazon a while back. Not the greatest but they were on sale for $2 each. I use them in two of my planes and I was completely surprised at how well the cut and hold an edge.

The only problem is I cut them all to be pretty short to use in this style plane:

I was wanting to build a bigger plane, but it will still work. I might look around for an old one too. A while back I got a nice IBC blade from woodcraft for $10. I use it in my jack plane.

First glue up is done. I would be able to finish it today but looks like we a "running errands" instead.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm going to build a new cabinet/stand for my table saw now that I really know where it's going to go and I've got 240V out there and the saw's rewired and ready to go and I'm all jazzed up to make things happen.

Any advice or recommendations before I just start building? So far, I don't have much planned except some blade/tool storage under the saw, and a dust collection port I can hook my collector up to. Also considering doing the big kick-plate off switch thing since I have a switch that would work great with one.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

absolutely yes on the switch. the best thing that I did on my saw stand was adding a paddle switch right at a few inches above knee height (located where my left leg is during a normal cut). It's perfect for 90% of cuts, and for the other ones where I stand further to the side, I can hit it with my right knee. It's really great to have for those cuts where you want to shut off the blade but not change your body position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mds2 posted:

First glue up is done. I would be able to finish it today but looks like we a "running errands" instead.

Don't feel hurried, I'm not an old hand at plane making like you and may have to make a couple before getting one good enough to send.

Bad Munki posted:

I'm going to build a new cabinet/stand for my table saw now that I really know where it's going to go and I've got 240V out there and the saw's rewired and ready to go and I'm all jazzed up to make things happen.

Any advice or recommendations before I just start building? So far, I don't have much planned except some blade/tool storage under the saw, and a dust collection port I can hook my collector up to. Also considering doing the big kick-plate off switch thing since I have a switch that would work great with one.

Jigs & dust collection would be my priority. I hang blades on dowels on the wall but at the saw would be just as handy. What saw do you have again?