Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Gatts posted:

No, you fool! Risa is where the hot space babes with the free love are! It's a party planet! You don't threaten that space, move your HQ to Janeway's quarters or Q's backyard or Deep Space 9 or...umm...point is Risa is worth keeping safe.

Then again if your thought is that no one would want to threaten Risa then you might have something.

What? My plan had nothing to do with protecting anything. I just wanted to get laid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

scary ghost dog posted:

Are you saying too many Star Trek movies have villains?

I'd just like to see the next movie not be centered around "One INSANE man and his McGuffin" and for the story to take place away from Earth. If you're just going to recycle those two well-establish story lines over and over again, then you're not forging new territory and you're letting yourself get lazy, predictable, and your stories to just be variations on the same old theme.

Like I said before, I'm 99% sure I'll love this movie, but I would like the next one to do something different than "Enterprise has to defeat a very big ship or Earth is finished".

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Enterprise has to defeat a very small ship, because it keeps falling between the keys on the keyboard and jamming the right shift button.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

I hope every movie in this series has a conversation wherein Uhura exclaims "an alternate reality!" as soon as the crew figure out what's going on. Shot as close to identically as possible.

Don't even reshoot it. Just insert the same shot into each film.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

Blistex posted:

Like I said before, I'm 99% sure I'll love this movie, but I would like the next one to do something different than "Enterprise has to defeat a very big ship or Earth is finished".

Why change up the formula when the same old same old will still get people (like you) into the theater? Not saying I agree with that line of thinking, I'm with you, but your money says "please keep doing this."

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pibborando San posted:

Why change up the formula when the same old same old will still get people (like you) into the theater? Not saying I agree with that line of thinking, I'm with you, but your money says "please keep doing this."

It's the Catch 22 of franchises.

You want something new, but will see the rehashed old stuff because you want the franchise to live so you can see something new.

DentArthurDent
Aug 3, 2010

Diddums

Blistex posted:

The plots are starting to get a little repetitive. I'm hoping the next one skips the McGuffin and goes in a new direction.

TMP: Something is going to destroy Earth
II: A madman wants revenge on Kirk
III: The Enterprise crew rescue Spock
IV: Something is going to destroy Earth
V: A madman wants to find god
VI: Continuing the cold with with the Klingons
VII: A madman wants to go to heaven
VIII: Something is going to destroy Earth
IX: A madman wants to live forever
X: A madman wants to destroy Earth
XI: A madman wants to destroy Earth
XII: A madman wants to take over Earth

Destroy Earth: 5/12
Madman: 7/12
Other: 2/12

I know these are a little simplified, but how many more times do we have to see the same thing play out again?

I posted this in one of the previous threads:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

DentArthurDent posted:

Villain cliches: "is evil."

Way to actually be more useless than loving TV Tropes.

DentArthurDent
Aug 3, 2010

Diddums

penismightier posted:

Villain cliches: "is evil."

Way to actually be more useless than loving TV Tropes.

Did you even read it? As the chart shows, many of the villains are not mustache-twirling evil. Or at least, once upon a time they weren't.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

DentArthurDent posted:

Did you even read it? As the chart shows, many of the villains are not mustache-twirling evil. Or at least, once upon a time they weren't.

Yeah I read it, it's useless. "Tragic" is not a cliche. "Evil" is not a cliche. "Obsessed" is not a cliche. Those are cornerstones of drama.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I like how the only human adversaries are both genetically engineered monstrosities :shobon:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
For the Undiscovered Country a ship that could fire when cloaked I'd say can be classified as a super weapon. It is rare and hard to do in the Trek universe.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gatts posted:

For the Undiscovered Country a ship that could fire when cloaked I'd say can be classified as a super weapon. It is rare and hard to do in the Trek universe.
It's pretty much just Chang's Bird of Prey and Shinzon's ship that can do this

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

penismightier posted:

Yeah I read it, it's useless. "Tragic" is not a cliche. "Evil" is not a cliche. "Obsessed" is not a cliche. Those are cornerstones of drama.

I may simply be uninformed, but what exactly is exclusive about being a cornerstone of drama and a cliche?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

reignofevil posted:

I may simply be uninformed, but what exactly is exclusive about being a cornerstone of drama and a cliche?

I mean technically nothing, ya know, semantically - but the word "cliche" carries a lot of connotations, especially on the internet, that there's something wrong with it. There's not. There's nothing wrong with having a tragic villain. That's good!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Gatts posted:

While it is a "superweapon" its purpose was to frame Kirk and prevent the peace talks instead of taking over the galaxy. The "villain" in ST:VI was a conspiracy of Federation, Romulan, and Klingon military personnel who wanted the status quo instead of "Glactic Rule", or "Destroy Earth". It was refreshing to see a Star Trek plot without an Obsessed-Superman Villain with a Superweapon that will totally destroy Earth. The plot was basically lifted from 1991 and the fall of the Soviet Union, and it is easily one of my favourite Star Trek movies. Wrath of Khan and TMP are great, but that was before they just rehashed the same plot a million times.

It's sort of like watching Dirty Harry. Everything is a horrible cliché, but only became that way after every cop movie from then on started copying what it did.

DentArthurDent posted:

Nice, that makes things a lot more clear. Although "overused" might be more appropriate than "clinched".

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Blistex posted:

You want something new, but will see the rehashed old stuff because you want the franchise to live so you can see something new.

Yeah, franchises that don't do well financially generally just get canned. Studios, not unreasonably, don't want to take risks on something that is risky anyway. They wont take risks on things that are sure to make bank either though...

It is a tricky one.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Please consider my proposal for the next Star Trek villain: A good-natured human with a happy life, who takes no issue with the Federation or anyone on the Enterprise, and has no significantly threatening weapons or spaceships.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think let's just go with Cuthulu.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

A giant, invincible puppy is convinced that Earth is its lost ball.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think the Whale Probe is akin to that. They were just wondering what was up with their buds they couldn't talk to anymore, got concerned and went to go find them.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Blistex posted:

Cabin in the Holodeck.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

Please consider my proposal for the next Star Trek villain: A good-natured human with a happy life, who takes no issue with the Federation or anyone on the Enterprise, and has no significantly threatening weapons or spaceships.

...Who drinks a potion and becomes EVIL!! And steals a prototype ENTERPRISE and decides he's going to crash it into THE SUN, thus EXTINGUISHING IT!!!

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Perhaps Starfleet Intelligence or Section 31 could recruit someone who is very good at playing holodeck games to help ease first contact with a new race from the Delta Quadrant that are obsessed with game playing. The film could be called Star Trek: The player of the most dangerous game

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Perhaps Starfleet Intelligence or Section 31 could recruit someone who is very good at playing holodeck games to help ease first contact with a new race from the Delta Quadrant that are obsessed with game playing. The film could be called Star Trek: The player of the most dangerous game
Or a starship captain who has real issues with his chair. :gonk:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Or maybe the enemy is just a politician with opposing ideals and the plot is resolved when Kirk compromises his own ideals to bring them more in line with the populous majority!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The entire crew is infected with a disease that makes them dance and must quest to find the cure past the farthest reaches of weird space before they all succumb to boogie fever.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
You know, a D&D style extensive quest for an item isn't a bad idea when the setting is the entirety of the universe.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Following multiple reports of Romulan incursions across the Neutral Zone the Enterprise is stationed at a strategically important planet awaiting Romulan attack. The three hour movie covers a 5 month period during which the crews' anticipation and fear of battle slowly subsides into tense boredom. Characters discuss the nature of the federation and the desirability of war as an experience, a challenge and an event. Friendships fray and priorities change in the shadow of mortality.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Tars Tarkas posted:

A giant, invincible puppy is convinced that Earth is its lost ball.
Porthos is back and he's pissed.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Star Trek really needs to bring in the middle-aged woman demographic.

Spock and Uhura's relationship becomes strained as he is unable to reciprocate the feelings that Uhura expects from him. To complicate matters, a rich Vulcan lieutenant joins the crew and uses her common ground to slowly take Spock away from Uhura. After Uhura finds incriminating messages on Spock's PADD, the two separate and Uhura transfers to another ship. The two are reunited at a conference on gaseous anomalies, and Spock realizes that Uhura is pregnant, and using his superior Vulcan brain, ascertains that he is the father given how far along she is in the pregnancy. They realize that they are meant for each other and save the Federation (and Earth) from the Vulcan lieutenant who turns evil and hijacks a massive ship due to Spock rejecting her. In the end Spock and Uhura discover that a real relationship depends on compromise, and their baby grows up to be Tuvok.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il7aSvhN3bE

no way that's picard.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Are you implying that Picard can't jump from a 2nd story window while one-handing a rifle?
Or are you implying that he can't grow hair?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What if it's Picard's granddad or granduncle or something?

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Could be wrong but looking at it now after seeing trailer 3, that the ship crashing in the international trailer is actually the Dark Evilprise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOQMXNwp8wo&t=115s

You can see it hitting Alcatraz, so perhaps intentionally crashed into Starfleet Headquarters?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gatts posted:

What if it's Picard's granddad or granduncle or something?

The French are surprisingly British in the bold future of Star Trek.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gyges posted:

At some point Henry the fifth returned, took his throne back, and took over France again. This time the French were not able to kick the British out.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Gyges posted:

French is a dead language, mon frere.

In the future, everyone speaks FedLing.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Man, could Chris Pine be any more goddamn boring? Just the sight of him in these trailers makes my eyelids heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Styles Bitchley posted:

Could be wrong but looking at it now after seeing trailer 3, that the ship crashing in the international trailer is actually the Dark Evilprise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOQMXNwp8wo&t=115s

You can see it hitting Alcatraz, so perhaps intentionally crashed into Starfleet Headquarters?

That doesn't jibe with the dialog and you can see 1701 on the ship rising from the ocean.

• Locked thread