Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Dunning-Kruger effect in action. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. A smart man would stop and think "maybe this has been done before?" but no! This man is a crazy genius and he needs our help to stop BIG SCIENCE from shutting him down with his genius ideas that nobody's ever had before, such as using heat to generate lift, or "gravitational wind" :rolleyes:

I would pledge money to a Kickstarter for a device that stopped anybody on the internet from ever citing Dunning-Kruger ever again. It's officially eclipsed "uncanny valley = I don't like how it looks" and "sociopath = a person who acts in a way I find unpleasant" in terms of things that have lost all their original meaning through over-use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I would pledge money to a Kickstarter for a device that stopped anybody on the internet from ever citing Dunning-Kruger ever again. It's officially eclipsed "uncanny valley = I don't like how it looks" and "sociopath = a person who acts in a way I find unpleasant" in terms of things that have lost all their original meaning through over-use.

Actually, I think it's one of the few things that is generally used more or less correctly. The title of the original paper was "incompetent and unaware of it" and the thesis was that people who are bad at something are generally also bad at recognising they (and other people) are bad at it. Their incompetence prevents them from making accurate judgements of their competence. I would say the anti gravity kickstarter is a prime example of it.

Really the problem is that it's a psychological phenomenon that is very VERY common but which we never had a name for before, so now we have a name we apply it everywhere, because the effect actually is everywhere.

batphantom
Mar 24, 2001

This one's a killer. Vela Kurv: A Tween, seductive, science fiction tale/ book series, featuring a female stylized superhero who battles for the survival of Earth!
I honsetly question if English is her first language. The description for the first two volumes is incredible.

quote:

Vela Kurv Legacy Series Part I - The Scintillate Seed to Vela Kurv

“THE SCINTILLATE SEED TO VELA KURV” is a wrenching science fiction story of the birth of a king sent by The One to deliver mankind into a new existence and to seed a line of women because of a sacrificing star in the Constellation Vela; thus the beginning of Vela Kurv. The plot begins with the copulation of Sebastian Wright and the combustion of a supernova inside the Constellation Vela. Sebastian is born into a military family on a spaceship sent to investigate the planet Epiphany. A war between Travelers, led by Ramses his brother; and Seekers, led by Artisan his colleague; is abruptly abandoned by Travelers when the Vela star goes nova. Ramses follows the sign to Earth to foil the prophecy of the Scintillate.

Vela Kurv Legacy Series Part II - The Wiles of Vela Kurv

“THE WILES OF VELA KURV” is a seductive, stylized, science fiction tale of the struggle for the survival of the planet Earth. As a secret agent, a girl becomes a woman. She investigates how to fight against invading aliens. During the hunt, a deal is struck to kill her, but only after the completion of her mission, so indeed mankind can be saved from alien infection. Her maturation and battle culminates into a passionate love affair.

There's more at the Vela Kurv website. You can also read some of the chapters here, it's a real treat. This self publishing thing needs to stop. Editors exist for a reason, and if you can't be arsed to grammar check your own work, you really, really shouldn't be an author. Oh, and did I mention that she poses barbie dolls as illustrations?

Yeah, she does. Evidently it's a tribute to some artist but :drat:. Sadly, her KS failed with $286 of her $6500 goal.

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

Vela Kurev is Slovak for 'a lot of whores' :xd:

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Care to explain how it was used incorrectly? Because it seems like it was used according to its exact definition: the guy is too dumb to realize that he is not smart.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

batphantom posted:

Well, today's the last day for the scamfest known as Send My Rich 9 Year Old Girl To A lovely RPG Camp, now offically titled "9 Year Old Builds Her First RPG... TRUTH & TROLLS!" loving thing is up to $24K despite all the press about Mom's previous horseshit. And the game will be delivered in July 2013! Wow. And goddammit, she's actually created ANOTHER project based on this shitstorm.
She must be stopped. I honestly feel bad for the daughter, but this has gotten insane.

I looked at that page and noticed that the lovely RPG camp in question is about using RPG MAKER. I was able to work on an RPG with it with no programming skill whatsoever. People have officially combined to form $24,142 for a 9 year old's loving RPG Maker game. Like just..what? :psyboom:

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

batphantom posted:

Well, today's the last day for the scamfest known as Send My Rich 9 Year Old Girl To A lovely RPG Camp, now offically titled "9 Year Old Builds Her First RPG... TRUTH & TROLLS!" loving thing is up to $24K despite all the press about Mom's previous horseshit. And the game will be delivered in July 2013! Wow. And goddammit, she's actually created ANOTHER project based on this shitstorm.
She must be stopped. I honestly feel bad for the daughter, but this has gotten insane.

Well there's 24 thousand dollars not going to charity.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

StabMasterArson posted:

Well there's 24 thousand dollars not going to charity.

HELP GIRLS IN TECH

By sending my daughter away to make another shite FF6 clone.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Hogo Fogo posted:

Vela Kurev is Slovak for 'a lot of whores' :xd:

I knew Frank Miller had pen names!

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
UGH. Glad I stopped following that 9 Year Old Girl RPG Camp thing after the MRA's got a hold of it. That woman is still an awful human being, as are all of the shitholes tormenting her. They should just bomb them all off the map. Truly worthless humans all around.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Ripped from YKS

Have you ever thought to yourself, "my fork just isn't pulling it's weight towards the singularity"?

Do you have trouble keeping track of how fast you shovel food into your face hole?

Have you ever thought "I need less privacy on Twitter but tweeting my bowel movements is a little déclassé?"

KS posted:

The HAPILABS online dashboard (screenshot below) allows you to see this information for each meal you use the HAPIfork.
  • You can upload your information either via bluetooth on your mobile, or using the USB cable (included) when you connect your HAPIfork to the computer.
  • You can view your information from either your online dashboard or your mobile phone.
  • You can choose whether or not to share your information with family, friends, trainers, or nutritionists, and even add pictures and comments!

Well folks I have the solution for you, the Hapifork.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1273668931/hapifork-the-smart-fork-that-tracks-your-eating-ha-0

Best part is you can stick it in your rear end when it's done

Alan Smithee has a new favorite as of 11:47 on Apr 20, 2013

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I can't tell if this pitch video has ironic poo poo acting or not.

He needs to buy "three ISBN codes, bar codes, a separate business license and tax code for the publishing cost, and application and partnering fees with the printing company I am partnering with"

Diggin his writing style

^^^ "batterie lithium-solymere", that's groundbreaking stuff, it also looks like one of those babby's secure safe no-spiky friendly plastic forks, which you can't ever really wash, 'cause they are made of, you know, plastic. ^^^

unpacked robinhood has a new favorite as of 11:51 on Apr 20, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

unpacked robinhood posted:

^^^ "batterie lithium-solymere", that's groundbreaking stuff,

It's meaningless stuff. It should be "batterie lithium-polymere" - that's the French for a Li-ion battery.

John Videogames
Jun 11, 2007

This tree is going
up your butt.

unpacked robinhood posted:

He needs to buy "three ISBN codes, bar codes, a separate business license and tax code for the publishing cost, and application and partnering fees with the printing company I am partnering with"

This is somewhat common with some vanity presses like Bubok or Lulu - they try to milk you for every penny you got. I should know, I have one book "published" on one of those.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

$350,000 raised for a single Bostonian. :bang:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

The sad thing is, if he was severely injured, he probably WILL burn through all of that in hospital bills.

Edgar Death
Mar 15, 2013

Ok most of the cynicism in this thread is justified but I'm having trouble seeing what is :bang: about this

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

Between hospital bills, rehabilitation, and two prosthetic limbs, he's probably going to need all of that money and more.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Edgar Death posted:

Ok most of the cynicism in this thread is justified but I'm having trouble seeing what is :bang: about this

Because as opposed to donating to an actual charity, or to the local police department who can actually use the money in a better way (or at least I hope so), or to the hospitals where 60-70 more people are being treated, people are focusing all their "charity" on a first-come-first-serve basis. The dude obviously needs money, but he doesn't need it any more than everyone else who does. Disproportionately donating money simply because someone is tech-savvy is lazy donating.

The fact of medical expenses is the following: A lot of the victims are going to come out with a six digit figure in expenses. Then they're going to contact the patient care department at the hospital and they're going to get it cut by 90% if they know what they're doing/saying. In the mean time, the hospital will actually take a hit (an insignificant one, but one at that), and one human being who people paid attention to is coming out $1 million richer.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

sunsweet posted:

Between hospital bills, rehabilitation, and two prosthetic limbs, he's probably going to need all of that money and more.

I wonder how much it would cost to become a Canadian citizen. More or less than 350k?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

Because as opposed to donating to an actual charity, or to the local police department who can actually use the money in a better way (or at least I hope so), or to the hospitals where 60-70 more people are being treated, people are focusing all their "charity" on a first-come-first-serve basis. The dude obviously needs money, but he doesn't need it any more than everyone else who does. Disproportionately donating money simply because someone is tech-savvy is lazy donating.

The fact of medical expenses is the following: A lot of the victims are going to come out with a six digit figure in expenses. Then they're going to contact the patient care department at the hospital and they're going to get it cut by 90% if they know what they're doing/saying. In the mean time, the hospital will actually take a hit (an insignificant one, but one at that), and one human being who people paid attention to is coming out $1 million richer.

Yeah it's frustratingly inefficient, but there are FAR worse things people can spend their money on, like $24,000 so a mother can humiliate her kids via the medium of badly made RPG maker games, or yet another useless iphone accessory.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fatkraken posted:

Yeah it's frustratingly inefficient, but there are FAR worse things people can spend their money on, like $24,000 so a mother can humiliate her kids via the medium of badly made RPG maker games, or yet another useless iphone accessory.

That guy would have gotten a lot more money if you could put your iPhone in his prosthetic limbs to charge it.

Edgar Death
Mar 15, 2013

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

I mean yeah there are more efficient ways to make donations count and this is a case of people jumping on a single cause because of emotions but it's not like a guy that lost his legs and helped identify the perpetrator getting a huge show of support is a bad thing

It's not necessarily a fact that every single one of those dollars could have gone to a more all encompassing charity if this wasn't as successful of a campaign

Edgar Death has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Apr 20, 2013

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
But isn't it strange to donate to that even though there are dozens of people equally deserving of charity who, by chance, didn't appear in photos on the front page?

Edgar Death
Mar 15, 2013
I guess I see it as an inevitability that people will jump on causes and donation drives irrationally when their emotions are high and I'm just glad to see the money is at least going to someone who does need it

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

You can keep following this train of thought until donating to anything other than the Stop Bad Things Everywhere For Everyone Fund is :bang:-worthy.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Are you seriously badmouthing a dude who lost both his legs in a terrorist bombing?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Young Freud posted:

Are you seriously badmouthing a dude who lost both his legs in a terrorist bombing?

No, it's just frustration that one person out of dozens seems to be getting a disproportionate amount of donations. It's understandable but silly to get upset about, at least they're giving money to SOMEONE, and he'll probably need it with the amount of poo poo he'll have to pay for.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Realtalk: most of the ones nominally for whole groups that spring up after these things tend to be pretty scammy. Something for one guy tends to lead to a lot less waste.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

You can keep following this train of thought until donating to anything other than the Stop Bad Things Everywhere For Everyone Fund is :bang:-worthy.

No, but it is pretty fair to argue that for every donation, a little research could possibly do a lot more good. Arguing that I'm on a slippery slope argument when all I've argued against is bandwagoning on 'popular' social causes is a little unfair.

Young Freud posted:

I happen to think the guy is a great person, actually. But that's not inconsistent with saying that the people saying he deserves support for identifying the suspects, or for losing both legs, are misguided. I'm against the people donating indiscriminately, not the cause.

Install Gentoo posted:

Realtalk: most of the ones nominally for whole groups that spring up after these things tend to be pretty scammy. Something for one guy tends to lead to a lot less waste.

I agree with this, and it's nice to have a name to the recipient, so at least the donors can see exactly how much bang for buck they're getting. I hope that any surplus he doesn't put to personal use goes into someone else's medical expenses.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

I agree with this, and it's nice to have a name to the recipient, so at least the donors can see exactly how much bang for buck they're getting. I hope that any surplus he doesn't put to personal use goes into someone else's medical expenses.

With American healthcare, I don't think he has to worry about a surplus.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Jedit posted:

It's meaningless stuff. It should be "batterie lithium-polymere" - that's the French for a Li-ion battery.
The best part is that its a company based in California, and all their base dimensions and captions were based on English units and language. So why there, of all places? Just to appear exotic?

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

How do you think it costs to recover from a double amputation in America?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

The best part is that its a company based in California, and all their base dimensions and captions were based on English units and language. So why there, of all places? Just to appear exotic?

Because Silicon Valley is the land of magical technology. Where rear end.com can make millions from an IPO

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Ripped from YKS

Stupid social media fork

I love those moments in history where a bunch of "inventors" try to cram a new discovery into every facet of life:

Yeah, that is radium infused facial cream.

anyway, more content:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/virtualopera/electronic-musical-of-the-future-libertaria-cast-a?ref=recently_launched

Check the video, it's like digital outsider art.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lawduck/bitcoin-republic-reports-from-the-currency-frontie?ref=recently_launched

This one may be interesting but I have a feeling it's going to end up a worthless Bitcoin praise book.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/555090316/americas-next-yoga-gura?ref=recently_launched

Was it Patton Oswalt who said that if we keep making reality shows we're gonna run out of reality?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

Why shouldn't he use the "surplus" for personal expenses? Dude's probably not going to be able to work for a year at least, he's gonna need some money to pay his regular bills and keep himself fed.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Mo Tzu posted:

Why shouldn't he use the "surplus" for personal expenses? Dude's probably not going to be able to work for a year at least, he's gonna need some money to pay his regular bills and keep himself fed.

That's not really surplus. People are talking about if his full rehab, lost earnings and all expenses incurred from losing his legs are less than he's got in donations, probably not terribly likely when you factor in the many years of rehab and the insane cost of private healthcare. $350k won't actually go all that far so it's kinda arguing the toss really.

Long John Silvers
Apr 17, 2013

THE GYM

quote:

"The Gym" is full of funny comedy opportunities in the gym as well as outside the gym as a "conversation" in the gym. The show has a feel much like "the office" and incorporates ideas not yet seen on television.
Along with the cringe-worthy acting, the show seems to have been edited in Windows Movie Maker, and they need $10,000 to "make it to TV."

The first joke you hear in the video is

quote:

Guy: I'm straight
Girl in suit: I asked if you were bilingual

Not to mention the director's beard looks like something out of the FBI's most wanted terrorist list.

Long John Silvers has a new favorite as of 00:26 on Apr 21, 2013

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

savi posted:

THE GYM
The first joke you hear in the video is

quote:

Guy: I'm straight
Girl in suit: I asked if you were bilingual
>Like The Office
>Ideas not yet seen on Television
Anyone else see the contradiction here?

Also last I checked, super lame homosexual jokes are on a lot of television shows. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

psychoticBacofoil posted:

Also last I checked, super lame homosexual jokes are on a lot of television shows. :v:
Yes, but do they have a gym theme to them?

Oh, wait, they made those jokes every other week on "Will and Grace" back in the 90s.