Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

azzenco posted:

e: The Honda Rebel looks like a winner.

No, it's not.

The rebel's entire reason for existence is that of an MSF course bike. I'm 5'6, and I'm uncomfortably cramped on one. Its got 16 hp, poo poo brakes, poo poo suspension, tops out at 65mph and is 30 years old. Its best feature is that it can be dropped 40 times in a parking lot without negatively affecting the riding dynamics. The 1200 dollar no name chinese scooters give it a run.

If you're dead set on a tiny honda bike, grab the 250r. It's got 25 hp and something resembling real brakes.

ThatCguy fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Z-Rex is very much a musclebike. The line I've heard is that it's a big bike for big riders; if you're 6'+ you'll love it, if you're pocket sized, the size and weight will feel too much. It won't be as nimble as a modern sportbike, but you've also got big dirtbike bars to throw it around with. It is an excellent road bike and good if you want to throw a buddy or some luggage on the back.

That one is a spectacular looking example and many people in CA will tell you to jump on it for looks alone, but if you're looking for a scalpel, this thing's a claymore. I personally wouldn't be worried about the mileage if the maintenance history is in order but I recommend finding model-specific resources to identify known issues.

Sweet, probably worth a look then. Part of the appeal is that it's instant gratification and I don't have to sit through the torture of having to try to sell my bike to morons; it's 'free' in a sense. I'm organising a test-ride now, hopefully I'll have some first-hand experience on sunday.

I'm fairly tall so something like this doesn't bother me, my hornet 900 felt pretty compact.

The fact that the guy's chicken strips are almost nonexistent makes me hopeful; my SV won't even let me get that far over without bottoming out.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
OK that's good information to know. I'm 5'3 so on the super short side but if it's not incredibly difficult to get them to lower the bike then that's what I'll do. I might check out that 500 and I'll talk to the sales guy today or tomorrow, thanks! Time to move to the gear thread :dance:

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

azzenco posted:

OK that's good information to know. I'm 5'3 so on the super short side but if it's not incredibly difficult to get them to lower the bike then that's what I'll do. I might check out that 500 and I'll talk to the sales guy today or tomorrow, thanks! Time to move to the gear thread :dance:

5'3 isn't "super" short. The stock height of the seat on a CBR250r is like 30 inches, figure a good set of riding boots will tend to have a fairly thick sole and heel so you might buy yourself an inch there. They make lowering kits, and I'm sure there's an aftermarket "short" seat out there for those bikes.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

00 SUZUKI BANDIT 1200 - Its a street fighter so it may have been on an accident before, but there is no mention of a salvage tittle anywhere. Gonna give that guy a call once I am back home.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

00 SUZUKI BANDIT 1200 - Its a street fighter so it may have been on an accident before, but there is no mention of a salvage tittle anywhere. Gonna give that guy a call once I am back home.

They made a naked version that looks just like that, so he may just be describing it as a street fighter because it doesn't have a fairing.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Linedance posted:

They made a naked version that looks just like that, so he may just be describing it as a street fighter because it doesn't have a fairing.

As far as I know the naked version never came to the US.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm looking at supermotos, and this wr250x caught my eye. Has anyone owned one of these before? Is it as "hooligan" as a DRZ? Does that price seem high?

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=475629933

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Short rider here too. Has anyone rode a Triumph Daytona 600 before? I'm pretty short (5'5") and I can barely get both feet down on it. I'm on the tips of my toes when on it. I have not tried with my motorcycle boots yet though. I was planning to buy the bike and save it for next year after I get more milage on my '81 Yamaha XS400. The XS400 has enough torque and power for me but it struggles on the interstate highway. My brother is willing to sell me one at a family discount for $1000 since he ended up buying a new car as his weekend warrior. It's a 2004 model so it has the inline 4 instead of the 3 cylinder in the new Daytona 675s. He warned me about how hard/expensive it is to find parts for the bike since it had a limited run (2002-2004).

I'd rather not mess with any suspension to lower it but I'd probably shave the seat. Is it best just to pass on the bike and get a Ninja 300 when I feel ready to upgrade to a sports bike? Also, how much taller/bigger is the Daytona 600 than the GSXR 600? My brother said it's a pretty big bike for a 600cc so I might just go the GSXR route after I feel more comfortable riding. I'd hate to limit myself to the <400cc class of sports bikes later down the line. I also have access to a family's Suzuki Intruder 800 but I'd love a bike that I can lean with that's also fuel injected. Living in Seattle makes me hate having a carb bike

taketheshot
Sep 18, 2002

Rabid Snake posted:

Short rider here too. Has anyone rode a Triumph Daytona 600 before? I'm pretty short (5'5") and I can barely get both feet down on it. I'm on the tips of my toes when on it. I have not tried with my motorcycle boots yet though. I was planning to buy the bike and save it for next year after I get more milage on my '81 Yamaha XS400. The XS400 has enough torque and power for me but it struggles on the interstate highway. My brother is willing to sell me one at a family discount for $1000 since he ended up buying a new car as his weekend warrior. It's a 2004 model so it has the inline 4 instead of the 3 cylinder in the new Daytona 675s. He warned me about how hard/expensive it is to find parts for the bike since it had a limited run (2002-2004).

I'd rather not mess with any suspension to lower it but I'd probably shave the seat. Is it best just to pass on the bike and get a Ninja 300 when I feel ready to upgrade to a sports bike? Also, how much taller/bigger is the Daytona 600 than the GSXR 600? My brother said it's a pretty big bike for a 600cc so I might just go the GSXR route after I feel more comfortable riding. I'd hate to limit myself to the <400cc class of sports bikes later down the line. I also have access to a family's Suzuki Intruder 800 but I'd love a bike that I can lean with that's also fuel injected. Living in Seattle makes me hate having a carb bike

I have a 30" inseam and the GSXR 600 is the only 600cc supersport I can flat foot with typical motorcycle boots on. The Daytona 675's I've sat on are definitely taller. However, they're all relatively lightweight and pretty easy to balance at a stop even if you can't get both feet down.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ElMaligno posted:

As far as I know the naked version never came to the US.

Yeah it did. 99-04 or something like that I think. One of the guys I rode to Sturgis with this year ran his naked B12.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Should I waste $300 on this?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/3739087692.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

epalm posted:

I'm looking at supermotos, and this wr250x caught my eye. Has anyone owned one of these before? Is it as "hooligan" as a DRZ? Does that price seem high?

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=475629933

That's a bit expensive for US but seems in line with Canada pricing. Where the DRZ is thumpy and low end, the WR is more revy/top end, but it feels more modern as an overall bike with nice suspension and chassis.

Yes, if there's a title and you can ride it.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

azzenco posted:

What's your inseam? I'm 5'7 but have around a 28" inseam. With practice you can deal with almost any bike. I had to get completely off the seat on my DRZ, but it was manageable. Growing up I rode a lot of dirtbikes and I just got into a habit of parking them against trees so I could climb on and take off. You can ride anything if you REALLY want to.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012
Any reason I shouldn't pounce on this for my first bike?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/3747123416.html

I just shot the guy an e-mail, so I am uncertain of the mileage and if that front fairing was removed because it went down or just because it was ugly :)

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Wow, that's cheap as hell. The bottom front fairing is pretty low and acts like a bashplate sometimes so I wouldn't be surprised if it just caught on something and cracked. It doesn't look like it's been down.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

Any reason I shouldn't pounce on this for my first bike?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/3747123416.html

I just shot the guy an e-mail, so I am uncertain of the mileage and if that front fairing was removed because it went down or just because it was ugly :)

Price is low enough to worry it's a scam. Don't spend anything not in person, bring somebody who can tell if it's out of sorts, and be sure the VIN on the bike matches the VIN on the title. If everything is in order and it really is just priced to sell enjoy your new ride.

There's going to be a lot of interest at that price so be aggressive about it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Halo_4am posted:

Price is low enough to worry it's a scam. Don't spend anything not in person, bring somebody who can tell if it's out of sorts, and be sure the VIN on the bike matches the VIN on the title. If everything is in order and it really is just priced to sell enjoy your new ride.

A decade-old 250 Ninja with a missing body piece? Price seems legit to me.

But yeah, first bike - go with a friend who can test ride for you and knows what to look for to negotiate the price down, CALL the guy (don't email), go with cash. It's spring, there are a lot of folks out looking for a first ride to buy, so you'll have to be ready to act in case it looks good in person.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Posted at 10:23 am? That bike would probably be gone already if it was here.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

clutchpuck posted:

While they shouldn't be so high those bikes are always in demand and with the time of year they hold their value remarkably well. People are regularly complaining here they can't find a reasonable condition Ninja 250 for less than 2k.

In the same area this guy is starting at $1,500 for his 97:
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/3733887659.html

http://salem.craigslist.org/mcy/3741508851.html and $2200 for this 96.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a supermoto to dork around on and learn to be a little more aggressive and oh god, my buddy is trying to sell his 96 klx300 and 06 crf125 and let me ride them...man a dirtbike will turn you into a tard real fast. The klx was cool and the size engine i was thinking about but drat was that little crf fun to toss around. Front would come right up too, no problem. He wants about 1000 for the kawi and 2300 for the crf. Now, with a certificate of ownership and a bill of sale could I title one of these in PA? I would like to be able to ride them around town or on the back roads around here, which are kinda poo poo for my S3R but would be great for something that could handle the potholes I'm constantly dodging.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Woah.

I'n not actively looking for a new bike right this second, but drat.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

What's your inseam? I'm 5'7 but have arou...

27" inseam. I went and talked to the service department who can lower the bike so I am going to get a cbr250r. Best day. Time to take my test for the license tomorrow.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Two more Bandits have popped up a 08 Bandit 1250 with ABS for 6495 and a 07 Suzuki Bandit 1250s for 3900 :stare:
The first guy didn't answer (its apparently a dealership), the second one is too good to be true but I still sent an e-mail.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.

Fifty Three posted:

Woah.

I'n not actively looking for a new bike right this second, but drat.

I believe he's been trying to sell that bike for a while. I think I remember seeing that back in September or so.

I stumbled across this one, a bit of a hike but drat if the price isn't right.

http://lynchburg.craigslist.org/mcy/3749881094.html

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

ElMaligno posted:

Two more Bandits have popped up a 08 Bandit 1250 with ABS for 6495 and a 07 Suzuki Bandit 1250s for 3900 :stare:
The first guy didn't answer (its apparently a dealership), the second one is too good to be true but I still sent an e-mail.

I had a 1250SEA. Fun bike, no soul. On-demand power wheelies and passing is a breeze. I had to do a lot of work to ergos for me to be comfortable. YMMV, but solid reliable fun machines anyway!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Talked the the 07 Bandit guy, bike is OK mechanicly, new rear tires, has tittle, CASH ONLY due to SCAMMERS, wants phone number to set up appointment, etc etc. Will probably try to set up to go see the bike on saturday or sunday.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
So the Vulcan fell through, but I was able to pick up a lead on a pretty looking Buell in the area.

http://sanmarcos.craigslist.org/mcy/3693546399.html

Dude rides the thing every day and is sitting at that price until May when he's gonna drop it down since college will be over for him by then. I've been talking over e-mail and text and he's gonna bring it by my apartment for me to look at it. If we can come to a decent offer he's gonna hold it for me until May hits and he doesn't need it anymore.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

ArbitraryTA posted:

So the Vulcan fell through, but I was able to pick up a lead on a pretty looking Buell in the area.

Dude rides the thing every day and is sitting at that price until May when he's gonna drop it down since college will be over for him by then. I've been talking over e-mail and text and he's gonna bring it by my apartment for me to look at it. If we can come to a decent offer he's gonna hold it for me until May hits and he doesn't need it anymore.

It annoys me when a bike owner doesn't realize that there is both a manufacturer and a model name/number for their bike.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

orthod0ks posted:

It annoys me when a bike owner doesn't realize that there is both a manufacturer and a model name/number for their bike.

As a lover of DMC-12's, I feel your pain.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

ArbitraryTA posted:

A Blast, should fit your criteria of low maintenance (no chain, no valve adjustments) and cheap to run, both in parts and fuel. Only 35HP but it should be able to get out of its way just fine, better than low-cc cruisers.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Pissingintowind posted:

Man you guys really go nuts for those KTMs. I really got find one to hop onto to see what the fuss is all about.

I did that last month with a Duke 690R and ended up giving the dealer enough money for them to ship me one over from Austria. So, you know, be careful with that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Shouting Melon posted:

I did that last month with a Duke 690R and ended up giving the dealer enough money for them to ship me one over from Austria. So, you know, be careful with that.

Oh man that must be so very terrible. Seriously terrible. Amazingly terrible. Staggeringly terrible. There are many words and no words for how terrible that must be.

I must ride my Ducati to expunge the terribleness of your decision.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

Halo_4am posted:

M42 posted:

Wow, that's cheap as hell. The bottom front fairing is pretty low and acts like a bashplate sometimes so I wouldn't be surprised if it just caught on something and cracked. It doesn't look like it's been down.

clutchpuck posted:

But yeah, first bike - go with a friend who can test ride for you and knows what to look for to negotiate the price down, CALL the guy (don't email), go with cash. It's spring, there are a lot of folks out looking for a first ride to buy, so you'll have to be ready to act in case it looks good in person.

Hmm. Spoke to the guy on the phone the other day and he said the title was in his luggage that got lost on a flight back from the east coast on Thursday. He came across as honest and did not try to sell me the bike (he said himself it wouldn't be worth my time to come look at it while he lacks the title), but who knows? Regardless: no title. And I haven't heard back from him saying he got his luggage and the title.

The hunt continues!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

Hmm. Spoke to the guy on the phone the other day and he said the title was in his luggage that got lost on a flight back from the east coast on Thursday. He came across as honest and did not try to sell me the bike (he said himself it wouldn't be worth my time to come look at it while he lacks the title), but who knows? Regardless: no title. And I haven't heard back from him saying he got his luggage and the title.

The hunt continues!

Pretty sure if the title was actually in his name he could get a new one printed by the state

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

ADINSX posted:

Pretty sure if the title was actually in his name he could get a new one printed by the state

Yep, absolutely. But:
(1) he (says that he) was trying to sell the bike no later than yesterday due to a (presumed imminent) relocation to the East Coast. DMV offices were closed statewide yesterday due to budget cuts.

Or, alternatively:
(2) the dude is a convincing scammer and for obvious reasons doesn't care to pursue that option.

I didn't push him on it, I just told him to give me a call when he gets the title. Whether I hear from him or not, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

Yep, absolutely. But:
(1) he (says that he) was trying to sell the bike no later than yesterday due to a (presumed imminent) relocation to the East Coast. DMV offices were closed statewide yesterday due to budget cuts.

Or, alternatively:
(2) the dude is a convincing scammer and for obvious reasons doesn't care to pursue that option.

I didn't push him on it, I just told him to give me a call when he gets the title. Whether I hear from him or not, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

I'd meet at a local dmv and have them transfer the title in person. They can do that :)

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

Yep, absolutely. But:

Or, alternatively:

Yeah I'm leaning towards number 2, keep looking :)

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Looking at picking up a fourth gen VFR, coming from my first bike which is a second gen SV650. I'm hoping that the VFR is more comfortable (less vibrations, smoother power delivery, more upright riding posture/handlebars are closer because I have T-Rex arms).

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/3752579034.html
(it's $2000 if I go through a local forum)

Any reasons why this might be a terrible idea or if this is merely going to be a sidestep rather than an upgrade from an SV? lovely R/R looks like a common problem for '90s bikes, fixable with a MOSFET-based replacement. Leaky fuel pump can be replaced for $80. It had been sitting for three years before last December before being fixed at a shop, which is where that $1800 worth of work he mentions comes from. I'll take a look at receipts and see what kind of work was done, especially wary of valve check since VFRs need a check every 16k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

yergacheffe posted:

Looking at picking up a fourth gen VFR, coming from my first bike which is a second gen SV650. I'm hoping that the VFR is more comfortable (less vibrations, smoother power delivery, more upright riding posture/handlebars are closer because I have T-Rex arms).

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/3752579034.html
(it's $2000 if I go through a local forum)

Any reasons why this might be a terrible idea or if this is merely going to be a sidestep rather than an upgrade from an SV? lovely R/R looks like a common problem for '90s bikes, fixable with a MOSFET-based replacement. Leaky fuel pump can be replaced for $80. It had been sitting for three years before last December before being fixed at a shop, which is where that $1800 worth of work he mentions comes from. I'll take a look at receipts and see what kind of work was done, especially wary of valve check since VFRs need a check every 16k.

The refinement, handling and power will be a gigantic leap compared to the SV you're used to. Also has a fairing which if yours was a naked, you may or may not like.

Definitely see if valve clearances have been done, it's a horrible nightmare to do on a VFR. Also remember it has linked brakes which you may or may not notice and may or may not give a poo poo about, but they're there anyway.