Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Hewlett posted:

"IT DID HAPPEN! I SAW IT HAPPEN DON'T TELL ME IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!"

This was the best line of the film, because though it did happen to Nero, he also knew how crazy it sounds in the timeline he is in and knows drat well how crazy it makes him look, but gently caress it, he did see it happen and he is constantly convincing himself that because it did happen he needs to do something about it, henceforth fulfilling the self inflicted crazy man prophecy.

I got shivers to that line in the film because I felt it encapsulated everything of the character Nero in one sentence.

Also, Eric Bana, awesome actor.

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It, uh, it actually was. That's not a crazy conspiracy at all.

The prophets made it happen so The Sisko could be sent to Deep Space 9

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ReV VAdAUL posted:

If you look carefully at this grainy scanner recording you can see Admiral Hanson's "flagship" didn't have any nacelles!
This just made me laugh hysterically at work.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

If you look carefully at this grainy scanner recording you can see Admiral Hanson's "flagship" didn't have any nacelles!

:aaa:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I never noticed the Kelvin having the nacelles positioned like that, I assumed it was just like an Akula.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Positioned like what? Like not there? The Kelvin doesn't have any nacelles.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Positioned like what? Like not there? The Kelvin doesn't have any nacelles.

Yes it does, the section above is the engineering section with a deflector dish, the section below is the single warp nacelle.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

This was the best line of the film, because though it did happen to Nero, he also knew how crazy it sounds in the timeline he is in and knows drat well how crazy it makes him look, but gently caress it, he did see it happen and he is constantly convincing himself that because it did happen he needs to do something about it, henceforth fulfilling the self inflicted crazy man prophecy.

I got shivers to that line in the film because I felt it encapsulated everything of the character Nero in one sentence.

When Nero traveled back in time he could have left a letter with the Vulcan post office saying, "At Stardate #######.# there will be a supernova at coordinated #####. Please tell Spock to be ready with a ship and some red matter. Love Nero XOXOXO".

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens

Blistex posted:

When Nero traveled back in time he could have left a letter with the Vulcan post office saying, "At Stardate #######.# there will be a supernova at coordinated #####. Please tell Spock to be ready with a ship and some red matter. Love Nero XOXOXO".

Frankly I was surprised that the Romulans were suddenly surprised by a Super Nova. Doesn't that sort of poo poo happen over a long period of time? Aren't there visible signs that it's about to happen within the next few years? Months?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Maybe someone fired one of Soran's supernova missiles into it?

pik_d posted:

Yes it does, the section above is the engineering section with a deflector dish, the section below is the single warp nacelle.

It doesn't look nacelleish at all, and good luck generating a warp field with just one anyway! :supaburn:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Maybe someone fired one of Soran's supernova missiles into it?

It doesn't look nacelleish at all, and good luck generating a warp field with just one anyway! :supaburn:

Seems clear from this view:

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Rocket Ace posted:

Frankly I was surprised that the Romulans were suddenly surprised by a Super Nova. Doesn't that sort of poo poo happen over a long period of time? Aren't there visible signs that it's about to happen within the next few years? Months?

If we are picking holes; even if the plan had succeeded without a sun Romulus's habitability would plummet.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

twoot posted:

If we are picking holes; even if the plan had succeeded without a sun Romulus's habitability would plummet.

Not Romulus' star that blew up.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Blistex posted:

Makes me wish for a Back to the Future style Trek movie.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

pik_d posted:

Seems clear from this view:

I didn't doubt that thing was the nacelle once it was said to be, but it violates every previously acknowledged rule of starship design so it's not a very good design to exist within Star Trek, despite having the engineering chunk mounted dorsally on the saucer which is pretty cool.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Gatts posted:

Into Darkness opens with a scene at the Enchantment Under the Sea dance.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Blistex posted:

My number one "shout at screen" thing has always been, "You just destroyed one enemy by hitting it with 4 photons, do it again to the other two!" The TNG episode where they send Tasha back in time with the Enterprise C is a perfect example. Three Klingon Birds of prey show up. They destroy one in 5 seconds, but just sit there doing nothing until they are destroyed. Do they have to carry those torpedoes by hand from another part of the ship to launch them? "poo poo, we just fired all 4 in the tubes, maybe we should have had another 4 waiting?"

Ah, sperging out over Trek. If only my basement was habitable, then everything would be right in the world.

Yeah, that convinced me the Federation deserved to lose the war.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Into Darkness opens with a scene at the Enchantment Under the Sea dance.

Except this time, Kirk chokes Spock.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Gatts posted:

To think what the Wrath of Khan ending could've been...

quote:

Western Union Man: Mr. Kirk?
Kirk: Huh?
Western Union Man: Is your name James Tiberius Kirk?
Kirk: Yeah?
Western Union Man: I've got something for you. A letter.
Kirk: A letter for me? That's impossible. Who the hell are you?
Western Union Man: Western Union. Actually a bunch of us guys at the office were kinda hoping maybe you could shed some light on the subject. You see, we've had that envelope in our possession for the past 70 years. It was given to use with the explicit instructions that it be delivered to a paunchy middle-aged man with your description answering to the name of Kirk, at this exact location, at this exact minute, star date 2247. We had a little bet as to whether this Kirk would actually be here - looks like I lost! (laughs)
Kirk: Did you say 70 years?
Western Union Man: Yeah, 70 years, 2 months and 12 days to be exact. Here, sign on line 6 please, here you are.
Kirk: It's from Spock! (reading) "Dear Captain, if my calculations are correct you will receive this letter immediately after you shot my body into space. First let me assure you that I am alive and well. I've been living happily these past eight months in the year 2177."
Western Union Man: Wait a minute, what's this all about?
Kirk: He's alive! Spock's alive! He's on one of those planets that's based off a western movie, but he's alive!
Western Union Man: Tell me captain, are you all right? Do you need any help?
Kirk: There's only one man who can help me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Just as a heads-up in case you're trying to remain in the dark: Into Darkness has its Australian premiere tomorrow, so we can safely expect spoilers to be hitting the Internet in about 24 - 48 hours.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Really want the jump to warp to leave fiery streaks in the heavens.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Timby posted:

Just as a heads-up in case you're trying to remain in the dark: Into Darkness has its Australian premiere tomorrow, so we can safely expect spoilers to be hitting the Internet in about 24 - 48 hours.

I think it screened in L.A. today.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Having trouble discerning sarcasm ITT.

The one thing I disliked most about ST09 was the weak villain element. With few exception I almost cringed everytime Bana spoke in the movie.

Also, seriously couldn't they have thought of a better name? Almost as bad as Klingon General Chang. Maybe Star Trek 2.2 will introduce us to Cardassian aggression, personified by the ruthless Gul Chavez.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Are you disrespecting CHANG?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Okay, the US release date is in the thread title. Everybody outside of North America, please be kind :colbert:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

First clip from Into Darkness was put online today. http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=103283&utm_source=feedly

I like. I like. Pretty intense.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Is it a good idea to generally avoid threads in CD between the international release date and the North American release dates, or are they usually spoiler-safe (as in spoilers linked offsite or contained with spoiler tags)?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Styles Bitchley posted:

Having trouble discerning sarcasm ITT.

The one thing I disliked most about ST09 was the weak villain element. With few exception I almost cringed everytime Bana spoke in the movie.

Almost all the trouble with Nero seems to have come from the strike. Nero's a pretty strong villain, they just did a poor job tying it together in the script they had. What they had was a few good lines and an info dumb via Spock, and that's just not enough to properly hang a villain on.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The deleted scene of Nero in the Klingon slave camp was quite good. I assume it had to be removed because it would have lead to questions like; what the hell did the Klingons do with the Narada for 20 years.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

twoot posted:

The deleted scene of Nero in the Klingon slave camp was quite good. I assume it had to be removed because it would have lead to questions like; what the hell did the Klingons do with the Narada for 20 years.

Duh! Gluing spikes to it... obviously!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Blistex posted:

Duh! Gluing spikes to it... obviously!

Nothing. It was unfamiliar Romulan/Borg hybrid technology that for all intents and purposes seemed to be dead after the Kelvin slammed into it. They had no way of knowing it could, or would, repair itself.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hasters posted:

Nothing. It was unfamiliar Romulan/Borg hybrid technology that for all intents and purposes seemed to be dead after the Kelvin slammed into it. They had no way of knowing it could, or would, repair itself.

Borg? Was that in the DVD extras or something? Why did they need a ship 100 years in the future to be 1/2 borg? Being that far ahead technology wise should have been more than enough to explain why it was able to destroy a federation fleet and a bunch of Klingon ships as well. Also, when has mixing Borg tech and non-borg tech ever resulted in good things happening? Shouldn't the ship have turned "Borg" and said, "screw y'all Romulan bitches, we're going assimilatin! YeeeHaw!" (Borg ships sound like Southern Stereotypes in my head)

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The Borg thing comes from the prequel comics which are fanwank and aren't canon from what I've heard.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Y'all gonna be assimilated. Reckon there ain't no point in resistin'.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

teagone posted:

First clip from Into Darkness was put online today. http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=103283&utm_source=feedly

I like. I like. Pretty intense.

Oh god, they look so perfectly, wonderfully dorky. It's such a relief after all the dour material seen before.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pops Mgee posted:

The Borg thing comes from the prequel comics which are fanwank and aren't canon from what I've heard.

They aren't "canon," per se, but they're written under the auspices of Roberto Orci. I believe IDW has to run its storylines / character uses past Orci to give him the opportunity to say, "No, wait, you can't do that, we're doing XYZ in the next movie."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

They aren't "canon," per se, but they're written under the auspices of Roberto Orci. I believe IDW has to run its storylines / character uses past Orci to give him the opportunity to say, "No, wait, you can't do that, we're doing XYZ in the next movie."

This is true but the comics are still very bad.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Rhyno posted:

This is true but the comics are still very bad.

The only part of Countdown that isn't loving terrible is the justification they give for the romulans being inked the gently caress up, which was kind of interesting but doesn't make up for the rest of it being everything terrible in Star Trek summed up in short order.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pops Mgee posted:

Hahahaha! Oh my god! Borg, timetravel. . . please tell me the comics were 99% Data shenanigans to complete the trifecta.

Y'all gonna be assimilated. Reckon there ain't no point in resistin'.

"My designation is (shows two fingers) of (shows seven fingers*) of unimatrix 1,2,3,4 . . . 5?"

*all on one hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Blistex posted:

Hahahaha! Oh my god! Borg, timetravel. . . please tell me the comics were 99% Data shenanigans to complete the trifecta.

• Locked thread