Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

It's worth noting that when boiled for ~45 seconds most Bones ease back into mold position anyway, so you don't actually need to reposition them more often than not. Just 45 seconds in the boiling water, another 45 in ice water. This can also be used to adjust the default position if you have a number of models and want to reposition 'em in various ways -- just don't boil it again or you'll lose the pose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I've heard that sometimes boiling the Bones will bring the mold release agent to the surface and make paint not stick, so they recommend giving it a gentle wash.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I hear the Bones come already assembled, it worries me a bit. Anyone have problems like misaligned pieces, sloppy gluing, etc.?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Pierzak posted:

I hear the Bones come already assembled, it worries me a bit. Anyone have problems like misaligned pieces, sloppy gluing, etc.?

Almost every mini is a single piece with no assembly required. I can only spot maybe two minis that have been assembled and they're perfectly fine. One of them did come unassembled: the griffin's wings came as separate pieces.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
There are a good number that are clearly multipart and pre-glued, but we didn't spot a single one that had any issues, and a lot take a real close look to spot the joins. Maybe a couple could use a little filling, such as the dude holding an axe horizontally with his arms downwards, or the inside of the mouth of the beholder.

The big fire elemental is 3 pieces, for example.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

PublicOpinion posted:

I've heard that sometimes boiling the Bones will bring the mold release agent to the surface and make paint not stick, so they recommend giving it a gentle wash.

You should do that anyway before painting. It only happens with every fifth or sixth mini, but it's better to wash 'em all, or you end up with something that just flat out refuses to take paint. Isn't hard. Quick wash with some soap and maybe a toothbrush gets it done.

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

:argh:And you broke it for the rest of us who had a legitimate complaint and could look forward to an entire new box or blister.

I only did it once, and I had 4-5 legit complaints before I did it.

I did some more checking of my Bones and I found my Ape X has cables that aren't anywhere close to connected. Anyone else seen this problem?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

xiw posted:

There are a good number that are clearly multipart and pre-glued,

Weird, why would they do that? Seems like a lot of extra labor for someone and its not like anyone buying these is averse to gluing some arms on.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I wondered the same thing, but in any case they've been doing it with Bones pretty much all along (the werewolf from the first wave comes with tail glued in).

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
There is, oddly enough, a number of people who will balk at buying a mini if they find out that some assembly is required.

Even if it's just a dab of superglue and attach.

They hear assembly, and think that's just going to be far too much work for them to manage, especially for something of the small investment a Bones figure represents.

That said, the gluing took place in China, and generally only with smaller models. Larger models like the dragons will come unassembled. They're still talking about how they want to ship them after the Kickstarter, but I suspect large models will continue to be sold unassembled, since it saves on the packaging.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

JoshTheStampede posted:

Weird, why would they do that? Seems like a lot of extra labor for someone and its not like anyone buying these is averse to gluing some arms on.

I know a few people actually who'd normally want nothing to do with the miniatures scene, and are buying these because most minis that help with games like D&D are colossally overpriced. Even having plain grey ones is a step up for some from pogs.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Have any UK goons got their bones yet? Did you have to pay any import duties or similar? Is this normal for this kind of thing?

On gluechat, has anyone tried to pull their bones apart? Are they superglued and thus breakable, or are they poly cemented or similar? I'd probably prefer to break most things apart for painting is all...

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

thespaceinvader posted:

Have any UK goons got their bones yet? Did you have to pay any import duties or similar? Is this normal for this kind of thing?

On gluechat, has anyone tried to pull their bones apart? Are they superglued and thus breakable, or are they poly cemented or similar? I'd probably prefer to break most things apart for painting is all...

I think someone had said plastic cement doesn't react with the Bones material, so I assume they are superglued.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Someone on the Reaper board said they were able to pop out the bugbear's shield after boiling. I'd imagine it's superglue. Certainly, superglue works pretty darned well on them.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AqeReSDy5yk

Video from reapercon showing a table full of Bones.

Interesting if you listen to them talking it apparently sounds like the reason Kaladrax is so hugely ginormous is because the factory in China misunderstood a request to make him 11' long as one to make him 11' TALL.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The most wonderful cock-up. :allears:

Although I think you mean 11". Not that I don't want an 11' undead dragon, but...

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That Cthulu is actually smaller than I thought.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

The most wonderful cock-up. :allears:

Although I think you mean 11". Not that I don't want an 11' undead dragon, but...

Sorry, my inner size queen got away with me.

Seriously though, that thing is ginormous. I would have liked to see a side-by side of it with Big C, but it looks like it may be taller and is definitely more voluminous overall.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fortunately, they're so flexible you should still be able to stuff it in the case. :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Otisburg posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AqeReSDy5yk

Video from reapercon showing a table full of Bones.

Interesting if you listen to them talking it apparently sounds like the reason Kaladrax is so hugely ginormous is because the factory in China misunderstood a request to make him 11' long as one to make him 11' TALL.

I'm struggling to believe that. These minis are still made from greens, which are actual physical sculpts. In order for the Chinese factory to be able to scale them, they'd have to have some kind of embiggener technology that doesn't start with a vector-based digital model of the mini. I could see it being easy to do if you design a figure using a 3d modeling program and then printing using a 3d printer, but I don't think that's how Bones are getting made.

If you started with a physical green and then scanned it, you'd need to vectorize that scan in order to scale it up. This sounds expensive and complicated and unnecessary, when you could so very much more easily just make your green the size you wanted in the first place.

So I'm not saying it's impossible, it just strikes me as pretty unlikely. Maybe Reaper told the sculptor to make something 11" long and got something 11" tall and that's the source of the huge size?

e. Also, gently caress that guy's camerawork. It's so goddamn easy to understand that you need to move the camera slowly. Also don't zoom when you can just move the camera closer! The more zoomed in you are, the more slowly you should move the camera. This is really not hard! I got 4 minutes in before I started getting too seasick to keep watching. :argh:

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 23, 2013

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I don't understand. Are you saying they send the physical greens to China to get molds made? I assumed they just scanned it and sent the specs or something.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

I don't understand. Are you saying they send the physical greens to China to get molds made? I assumed they just scanned it and sent the specs or something.

Well I don't actually know. But making a mold from a physical object is far easier than making a mold from a digital scan. If you have a digital scan, now you have to 3d print the result, but 3d printing gets exponentially more expensive the more detail you try to preserve. The cost is probably much higher than the cost of just mailing a green (or, more likely, a cast made from the green).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Not to mention that the process of cleaning up a scan to get a really nice, tightly-detailed digital model for printing would be a significant portion of the time required to just model it digitally in the first place. I feel like if they were going to go that route, they'd just hire digital artists to model their figs on the computer from stage 1. Some places do. But going from green to digital to print to mold is like copying VHS tapes.

Also, wasn't there some off-hand mention in a kickstarter update about getting the masters back from China now that they had their own rig? That would imply non-digital-ness at at least some critical step.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, it seems like the giant models get larger and larger every new time we see them! That Cthulhu looks way better than the original shot of the preview model did, as well! Super glad I got an extra one for myself now.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'll be honest: I sooooorta wish I'd spent even more than the $300 I dropped and grabbed a couple of them dragons. I mean, I'd hardly ever use 'em, and who knows if they'd get painted before they decomposed, but they're awesome as hell anyhow.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
There is no way they're digitally printing in China and then making molds from the prints. That would be a QC nightmare.
It's much more likely that the original sculpt was created in China by a Chinese sculptor, this is pretty common for toys these days. It's also pretty common for miss-communications to cause unexpected results like that when working with overseas artists.

For a short time one of the projects I worked on was using Chinese sculptors and we stopped because of the various communication difficulties that kept cropping up.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
The method they described for making the molds involved laser-scanning the original, and then using that to make the mold. I would think it would be possible to enlarge/reduce to get the desired size.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, my understanding is that Bones uses the same sort of metal molds that GW and other companies use for plastics, which is why they are so expensive to make. I think that rather than being formed around a master, the master is scanned and that information is fed to the machine that cuts the mold.

I know that GW has used 3-ups for their masters, so they do some sort of scaling in the process.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
At Reapercon, they confirmed that they do plan to do another Kickstarter, though details (like exactly what direction they want to take the bones line next) are still being determined.

They've confirmed that there will be pretty good deals, though not quite as awesome as the last one. They've admitted that they probably loaded it a bit too much to be healthy.

That said, if it's even half as much per dollar as the Vampire level, it will be worthwile.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

JackMann posted:

At Reapercon, they confirmed that they do plan to do another Kickstarter

Reaper, don't do this to me :homebrew::negative::homebrew:

Adam Kensai
Feb 13, 2005
Have you heard the Go News?
Do we yet know when the KickStarter models are going to hit retail stores? Or will they be spreading them out throughout the year?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Adam Kensai posted:

Do we yet know when the KickStarter models are going to hit retail stores? Or will they be spreading them out throughout the year?

They plan to release them as soon as they've shipped out all of the Kickstarter rewards.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OK, so, I decided not to get Nethymaul because I thought it was bigger than Kaladrax.

Arg Reaper why must you torture me so!

I wants them now, the preciouses...

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I am continually amazed at the number of people who think they can make Reaper go faster by complaining on the internet, both on the Reaper boards and on the Kickstarter.

"But they should work harder! They're losing potential sales by not finishing up shipping and getting the new Bones into retail!"

No poo poo, sherlock. They know this. The head of the company is an accountant. That should tell you they're probably going as fast as they can.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

People are impatient fuckheads. I know I am, but I know better than to gripe about it when I've got an awesome deal coming and plenty of other things to spend my time on before it does.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Impatient I don't mind. It's this weird mindset that Reaper is somehow screwing them over that I don't understand.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Reaper's been pretty transparent about the whole thing. Like any kid on Christmas I'd rather have my toys sooner than later, but given that they're not doing anything shady and are just dealing with a big logistical chore that will get sorted out as soon as they reasonably can, I'm still not feeling much outrage.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
My only worry is that they sent my package and it got lost, so here I sit waiting for something that will never come.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

thespaceinvader posted:

People are impatient fuckheads. I know I am, but I know better than to gripe about it when I've got an awesome deal coming and plenty of other things to spend my time on before it does.

Amen. The one thing I've learned talking with anyone in this industry is that they are all passionate about it. No one at reaper is sitting there laughing and yelling "I don't give a poo poo." They want this done and happy as bad as anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I believe they're sending out e-mails as they ship, so if you've never seen an e-mail you shouldn't be worried.

• Locked thread