Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

AngryGuy posted:

This sucks because I'm not gonna be able to go see them tomorrow in SF. Friend bailed on me and I've been really sick so I really don't feel like going anyway.

I can't even get rid of the tickets because craigslist is flooded with them.

I'm feeling pretty crappy too but that won't stop me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I'm feeling pretty crappy too but that won't stop me.
I had to be wheeled in and out of the arena (which ended up in my meeting the drummer and getting an autograph) so I feel your pain and don't blame you a bit.

Seriously, especially after having seen them, it would take a LOT to keep me from going to their show.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Nah it was this dude: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oneohtrix_Point_Never

His wiki describes him as drone, ambient, experimental, "plunderphonics" and "gnomestep". I don't know what in the gently caress.

Apparently he did an album with Tim Hecker. I don't know, I've never listened to TH before.

Hey Rageaholic Monkey my good goon sir, perhaps you should visit page 2 of this thread and learn more about Oneohtrix Point Never, you might even end up liking him.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I just got back from Sigur Ros and although I only recognized like 3 songs, what a goddamn concert.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008
I ended up going after all and it was loving amazing.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Sigur Rós is probably the best live act ever.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Sigur Rós is probably the best live act ever.

For real, they're up there with Nine Inch Nails when it comes to best live show I've ever been to.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

For real, they're up there with Nine Inch Nails when it comes to best live show I've ever been to.

That is a really odd statement, the time I saw NIN a few years ago it was quite serviceable (and fanservicey) but I wouldn't say it came anywhere near stuff like Spiritualized or Mogwai in terms of, I guess, intensity and making the material sound better. NIN mostly just sounded like I was listening to the CDs.

Anyway, Sigur Ros. How about that. Pretty great show, though about 1/3 in (?) when they got quiet for a bit I felt like nodding off. But when they picked it back up, yeah.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

That is a really odd statement, the time I saw NIN a few years ago it was quite serviceable (and fanservicey) but I wouldn't say it came anywhere near stuff like Spiritualized or Mogwai in terms of, I guess, intensity and making the material sound better. NIN mostly just sounded like I was listening to the CDs.

Anyway, Sigur Ros. How about that. Pretty great show, though about 1/3 in (?) when they got quiet for a bit I felt like nodding off. But when they picked it back up, yeah.

I've only seen NIN once, in 2008 during the Lights in the Sky tour. It was loving mindblowing. The visuals were out of this world, the instruments sounded fantastic, Trent's voice was raw and intense as hell, etc.

I've seen Mogwai live and they were pretty boring in comparison :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I've only seen NIN once, in 2008 during the Lights in the Sky tour. It was loving mindblowing. The visuals were out of this world, the instruments sounded fantastic, Trent's voice was raw and intense as hell, etc.

Weird, that was the tour I was talking about. The visuals were good, it's true. I was really pissed at Deerhunter only getting 30 minutes, and barely being able to hear them over the crowd asking "who the gently caress is this human being?" I mean, that's a quote I literally heard at least half a dozen times while I walked closer to the stage so I could actually hear.

e: What I'm saying is, gently caress seeing any "big" band in TN because you would not believe how many redneck assholes get in free because of college promos or knowing people who work at the venue and poo poo and who have no respect or regard for anything as a result.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
All my favourite concerts have been little post-rock ones without fancy stages or anything. Namely Mono, This Will Destroy You and *shels. I love the big extravagant ones too (I've seen The Wall, Muse, Coldplay, Tool, Rammsteinn, etc) but screens and fire can only do so much for me.

precision posted:

e: What I'm saying is, gently caress seeing any "big" band in TN because you would not believe how many redneck assholes get in free because of college promos or knowing people who work at the venue and poo poo and who have no respect or regard for anything as a result.

One gig I went to (Angus Stone) was only $35 so there were lots of people at the bar who weren't really there for the music. He actually had to tell people to shut up after the second or third song :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

david puddy posted:

All my favourite concerts have been little post-rock ones without fancy stages or anything. Namely Mono, This Will Destroy You and *shels.

I'd say most of my favorites have been small shows. For post-rock, the loving Taco Supreme was Trans Am in, I believe, '01 on the Red Line tour. The place (The Pilot Light, which gets some really amazing poo poo for being literally the size of a living room, I highly recommend it if you're in that part of the country) was completely packed. They had a couch on one wall near the "stage", my girlfriend and two other friends were sitting on it and I was standing on it. Everyone was drunk as poo poo and they were really just into playing the gently caress out of the songs. I remember thinking "these dudes look like they're going to the gym after this".

They certainly have one of the best drummers I've ever seen.

But man, Spiritualized (and none of those were "big" shows like NIN is a big show; I think the largest venue I saw them at held just 750) has consistently been a life-changing experience all four times I've seen them in the past 15 years.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I just realised I left Godspeed off my list. Godspeed were loving awesome.

\/\/\/ I don't think I've ever actually met a professional musician. I should really try staying behind for a while, I would've loved to chat with the guys from This Will Destroy You. I really should've stayed behind for *shels, I (kinda) travelled halfway around the world to see them :arghfist::(

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 19, 2013

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

david puddy posted:

I just realised I left Godspeed off my list. Godspeed were loving awesome.

They're also incredibly nice guys.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've seen Mono 3 times and they're one of my favorite shows ever, too. They get so goddamn into the music, it's crazy. Same goes for Caspian, and to a lesser degree, Explosions in the Sky. Godspeed was awesome too, but I wouldn't say they were one of my favorites.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

I've seen Mono 3 times and they're one of my favorite shows ever, too. They get so goddamn into the music, it's crazy. Same goes for Caspian, and to a lesser degree, Explosions in the Sky. Godspeed was awesome too, but I wouldn't say they were one of my favorites.

I've seen Mono too and they were phenomenal as well.
In general, I find that post-rock is best in small venues.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Crimson Sox posted:

I've seen Mono too and they were phenomenal as well.
In general, I find that post-rock is best in small venues.

Unfortunately when I saw MONO the venue had a really lovely sound system/mixer. The speakers sounded totally blown and it all sounded like mud.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Unfortunately when I saw MONO the venue had a really lovely sound system/mixer. The speakers sounded totally blown and it all sounded like mud.

Do yourself a favor and go see them again the next chance you get.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

In other news, I got into Plymouth University in England. Why am I posting this in the post-rock thread? Well, it means it's now not going to be totally impractical for me to get my American rear end arse to Arc Tan Gent! :toot:

See you goons there!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Cymbal Monkey posted:

In other news, I got into Plymouth University in England. Why am I posting this in the post-rock thread? Well, it means it's now not going to be totally impractical for me to get my American rear end arse to Arc Tan Gent! :toot:

See you goons there!

Wow! That's pretty awesome, if I do definitely end up going then we'll definitely have some beers.

Plymouth is a good uni too.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I think my favourite post rock show was Explosions in the Sky back in 2004 or so (when they were selling The Rescue). It was in what used to be a church and they were on early (supporting Four Tet) during the summer, so the setting sun was shining through the stained glass windows and it just made for an amazingly magical atmosphere that still comes to mind when I listen to them.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So who wants to listen to some melancholic post-rock?

First off is the new album from No Clear Mind (bandcamp), [url=http://www.amazon.com/Mets/dp/B00CFI937G[Mets]/url] (Amazon), and although I've only listened to one song, hits the same emotional chords as their first album, Dream Is Destiny. It very much sounds like the perfect soundtrack to a lonely night. Here's a youtube link to one of my favorite songs from their debut, but really, all the songs on it are good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYIAoQeyJbw

Then there's The Nest Itself (bandcamp), which I am currently just listening through on bandcamp for the first time. They seem to like contrasting soft piano with really dissonant sounding guitar, and since I'm a complete sap for piano in my post-rock, I figure I might as well throw them out here. Their drums sound a bit weak, though, but it could just be the songs I've listened to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a_pQPVTwXY

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Oh man how did I miss this, new This Is Your Captain Speaking album.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I have no idea if this is the right thread to post this in (vs. Electro, or the Vinyl Thread), but apparently Boards of Canada shipped single mysterious LPs to record stores across the globe on Record Store Day.

One has been found in New York, and one in London, and markings on them insinuate there are six out there somewhere. Each vinyl just has a super BoC-sounding synth line, and a robotic voice saying numbers for 20 seconds. Theory is, once we have the numbers from all six, we will find something that may or may not be related to a new BoC album :neckbeard:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BoC is more IDM than anything, and it's already being discussed in the IDM thread.

I'm so loving excited about it.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

chunkles posted:

Oh man how did I miss this, new This Is Your Captain Speaking album.

What other Australian post-rock bands would you recommend?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Khagan posted:

Laura.

And this is why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufKquEVDVsw

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 23, 2013

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Khagan posted:

I don't know a single other Aussie post rock band. Does New Zealand count?

Crimbo Hardstyle
Apr 23, 2006

HISS

Khagan posted:

sleepmakeswaves is a pretty fantastic Australian post-rock band.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I've seen Laura live, and don't remember them being 'all that'. I saw sleepmakeswaves open for Karnivool (I think) and they were OK but kind of miss the mark for me.

Why can't I like the local stuff :(

Hopefully Jakob get back over here now that their drummer's recovered.

e: Dumbsaint are pretty decent actually, I've seen these guys too and enjoyed it enough to buy their CD.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 24, 2013

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Laura is outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CFDh6z9sE8

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 24, 2013

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Godspeed just announced some new tour dates. :D

http://pitchfork.com/news/50451-godspeed-you-black-emperor-announce-tour/

quote:

08-03 Katowice, Poland - OFF Festival
08-08 Oslo, Norway - Oya Festival
08-09 Göteborg, SE - Way Out West Festival
08-11 Helsinki, Finland - Flow Festival
08-17 St. Malo, France - La Route de Rock
08-18 Paris, France - Le Trianon
09-04 Vancouver, British Columbia - Vogue Theatre
09-05 Seattle, WA - Showbox at the Market
09-06 Portland, OR - Roseland Theater
09-07 Portland, OR - Roseland Theater
09-09 San Francisco, CA - Great American Music Hall
09-12 Los Angeles, CA - The Fonda Theatre
09-14 Pomona, CA - The Fox Theatre
09-15 Solana Beach, CA - Belly Up Tavern
09-16 Tucson, AZ - Rialto Theatre

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Their show in San Francisco is on the last night I'm there, I will go and see them depending on my schedule (I get back from a Yosemite tour that night). What are the odds of the show actually starting at 8pm? I apparently won't get back to my hostel until 9pm so I am not sure if I should get a ticket or not.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Not sure if they are considered post rock but the new Appleseed Cast album came out today and its really good.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

lazerwolf posted:

Not sure if they are considered post rock but the new Appleseed Cast album came out today and its really good.

Awesome! Didn't know that was coming out today. I hadn't listened to them in a long time, but picked up North Star Ordination 7" last time I was in a local record shop and it really blew me away! Really interested in hearing this

e: just ordered the LP :)

SineRider fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 24, 2013

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

david puddy posted:

Their show in San Francisco is on the last night I'm there, I will go and see them depending on my schedule (I get back from a Yosemite tour that night). What are the odds of the show actually starting at 8pm? I apparently won't get back to my hostel until 9pm so I am not sure if I should get a ticket or not.

They were pretty on time the 5 times I saw them.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Cymbal Monkey posted:

They were pretty on time the 5 times I saw them.

Do they do opening acts or anything? Shows here, doors open at like 7pm, opener starts at 7:45, finishes at 8:30, main act starts at 9-9:15

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Yeah, they had an opener, and that's roughly what shows are like here.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Ok, cool. I might buy a ticket anyway, I can't believe they're only $26 (I paid $74 for their show here).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Khagan posted:

The only bands that I can think of off the top of my head isn't reaaallly post-rock but eh, My Disco is kind of angular and mathy. And Eleventh He Reaches London is more drawn out indie-core with some post-rock elements or whatever, I just think that maybe people will like them because I've liked a lot of the stuff posted here and I want to contribute with some lesser known Australian bands. :blush: