Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Eulogistics posted:

Fresh from Rush Limbaugh's disgusting face:

He's now ranting about how it has replaced CNN as the go-to network for news and stuff. Making the big assumption that he's not talking out of his rear end...

Actually, it doesn't matter if he's talking out of his rear end; his listeners will believe it since he says it. From now on when I hear "liberal media!" I'll just quote El Rushbo his own self.

He actually began to make an interesting point about the ratings news, which is "What does it say about the fractured [his word; I prefer diverse] state of American media that the top-rated network is crowned as such with fewer than 3 million viewers?" I would love to hear a discussion about that, probing why certain demographics get their news online vs. from television, etc.

Unfortunately he took it as an opportunity to crow about how cable ratings definitively prove that the American people are crying out for a conservative message, yada yada yada, had to turn it my radio off again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nice Davis posted:

He actually began to make an interesting point about the ratings news, which is "What does it say about the fractured [his word; I prefer diverse] state of American media that the top-rated network is crowned as such with fewer than 3 million viewers?" I would love to hear a discussion about that, probing why certain demographics get their news online vs. from television, etc.

Unfortunately he took it as an opportunity to crow about how cable ratings definitively prove that the American people are crying out for a conservative message, yada yada yada, had to turn it my radio off again.

Short of election day, I don't think I've watched cable news in years. The last time I remember watching before that was when the Japanese had an earthquake followed by the Fukushima plant melting down.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I get all my news from big manly hero anchor on The Newsroom. I can't wait to find out who wins the 2012 election and how his ex girlfriend producer pratfalls into something embarrassing because she is a woman.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

greatn posted:

I get all my news from big manly hero anchor on The Newsroom. I can't wait to find out who wins the 2012 election and how his ex girlfriend producer pratfalls into something embarrassing because she is a woman.

Those are crappy reasons to watch that show. I just watch it to see a brave white man proudly proclaim he's taking the "R" word back.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I mentioned it before but Alan Chartock is my local leftwing human garbage and since we don't have a leftwing human garbage thread I'll mention him here.

Today he's trying to twist up every caller to his show and get them to agree that the surviving 19 year old perp from the Boston bombing should get the death penalty. When someone calls in with a reasonable argument he goes into "what if" overdrive mode: "what if the kid lined up 40 people against a wall and gunned them all down!?!" Of course he hangs up on anyone who doesn't want to play his game. The only difference between him and a rightwing host is that he says thank you in the more sincere tone he can manage before he hangs up.

You usually don't get this kind of stuff on NPR which probably makes me all the more angry at it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I thought CNN was in a death spiral this is rather disconcerting.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Death Himself posted:

I mentioned it before but Alan Chartock is my local leftwing human garbage and since we don't have a leftwing human garbage thread I'll mention him here.

Today he's trying to twist up every caller to his show and get them to agree that the surviving 19 year old perp from the Boston bombing should get the death penalty. When someone calls in with a reasonable argument he goes into "what if" overdrive mode: "what if the kid lined up 40 people against a wall and gunned them all down!?!" Of course he hangs up on anyone who doesn't want to play his game. The only difference between him and a rightwing host is that he says thank you in the more sincere tone he can manage before he hangs up.

You usually don't get this kind of stuff on NPR which probably makes me all the more angry at it.

Wait, how does someone calling for the death penalty "leftwing"?

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

Minorities posted:

In case you forgot september 12th 2001, being left wing doesn't stop you from becoming a raging frothing mass of hate and spite after any kind of disaster strikes. Whether it's born out of fear or out of a desire to grab some of those right wing hate dollars, the result is the same.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Harry Joe posted:

In case you forgot september 12th 2001, being left wing doesn't stop you from becoming a raging frothing mass of hate and spite after any kind of disaster strikes. Whether it's born out of fear or out of a desire to grab some of those right wing hate dollars, the result is the same.

See also: The killing of Osama Bin Laden.

But yeah, right now pundits on both sides are trying to stir up emotions by howling for the blood of the surviving bomber. It tends to result in good ratings and a sense of solidarity.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Y'all have a weird idea of what "left wing" means then. Reminder: American Democrats are only considered left wing in America.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

There's no "I'm against the death penalty EXCEEEEEPT when the guy did something bad" opinion. You are either for or against it and if some "left wing" disk jockey wants to kill that kid he's pro-death penalty period.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Minorities posted:

Y'all have a weird idea of what "left wing" means then. Reminder: American Democrats are only considered left wing in America.

I think it's pretty clear that this thread refers to left and right wing media in the United States context. Just like right wing media is a decent enough short hand for the nativist theocratic reactionary media, left wing works just fine in this thread when it's obvious what he was referring to.

Thanks for the smug reminder of something everyone in this thread already understands, though!

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Minorities posted:

By having the "tough on crime" mentality drilled into their head. CT is a really drat blue state, yet when the legislature repealed the death penalty here, polls kept showing it only had around 40% support, and that was only for repealing it for future crimes. Today the state supreme court is hearing a motion to void the death penalties of people already sentenced to death, and ooohhhh boy, at people from both sides frothing mad, especially since the Cheshire killers may have their penalties removed, and really that's the only thing these people care about.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

RPZip posted:

It's been the top cable news network for a while. Over the last week, it was the top cable network period.

I know that. But Rush Limbaugh said it on his show, which is a much more authoritative source than some left-wing media "graph" or "table" or "poll"; everyone knows those things are biased, Rush tells us so.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Eulogistics posted:

He's now ranting about how it has replaced CNN as the go-to network for news and stuff. Making the big assumption that he's not talking out of his rear end...

Actually, it doesn't matter if he's talking out of his rear end; his listeners will believe it since he says it. From now on when I hear "liberal media!" I'll just quote El Rushbo his own self.
And if cable news weren't consistently handed its rear end by broadcast news, and if TV news in general weren't becoming increasingly obsolete compared to the internet, the thing about Fox News being the top of cable news might mean something.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Amused to Death posted:

By having the "tough on crime" mentality drilled into their head. CT is a really drat blue state, yet when the legislature repealed the death penalty here, polls kept showing it only had around 40% support, and that was only for repealing it for future crimes. Today the state supreme court is hearing a motion to void the death penalties of people already sentenced to death, and ooohhhh boy, at people from both sides frothing mad, especially since the Cheshire killers may have their penalties removed, and really that's the only thing these people care about.

To be fair, those two barbaric motherfuckers are a good argument for keeping it around.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zeroisanumber posted:

To be fair, those two barbaric motherfuckers are a good argument for keeping it around.

Nah. State-sanctioned murder is still murder.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Zeroisanumber posted:

No they aren't. There is no good reason to have the death penalty. Its use is barbaric and not beneficial in any way.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sword of Chomsky posted:

No they aren't. There is no good reason to have the death penalty. Its use is barbaric and not beneficial in any way.

Minorities posted:

I disagree. But let's not start a death penalty derail in the right wing media thread.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Guilty Spork posted:

And if cable news weren't consistently handed its rear end by broadcast news, and if TV news in general weren't becoming increasingly obsolete compared to the internet, the thing about Fox News being the top of cable news might mean something.

Beyond that, "most watched" or "highest rated" is essentially meaningless if we're trying to analyze quality of content, accuracy, fairness, objectivity, skill or much of anything really. It just means "most popular".

It's like measuring the value and merit of "Axis Bold as Love" vs. "Now That's What I Call Music! - Vol. 12" simply because the latter sold more copies.

Nonsense posted:

I thought CNN was in a death spiral this is rather disconcerting.

What, the Jody Arias/Nancy Grace/24-7 channel? They deserve it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

What, the Jody Arias/Nancy Grace/24-7 channel? They deserve it.

My wife has somehow got sucked in to the HLN Nancy Grace/Dr. Drew/Jody Arias cycle and it is THE WORST. It is weird seeing Nancy Grace act like an actual human being at times, though.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Parachute posted:

My wife has somehow got sucked in to the HLN Nancy Grace/Dr. Drew/Jody Arias cycle and it is THE WORST. It is weird seeing Nancy Grace act like an actual human being at times, though.

That woman is the best evidence that David Icke has of the Lizard People.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Minorities posted:

This. Also during that whole original Cheshire debacle, it really annoyed me how Dr. Petit kept getting to much media attention because of his disapproval of wanting to keep the death penalty, yet a large group of people from cities who had had their loved ones murdered and wanted it repealed kept more or less getting ignored.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Parachute posted:

It is weird seeing Nancy Grace act like an actual human being at times, though.

When does she do that? She's like something out of a John Waters or Coen Brothers movie. What a loving parasite.

edit:

Amused to Death posted:

This. Also during that whole original Cheshire debacle, it really annoyed me how Dr. Petit kept getting to much media attention because of his disapproval of wanting to keep the death penalty, yet a large group of people from cities who had had their loved ones murdered and wanted it repealed kept more or less getting ignored.

See also, Jeremy Glick and the treatment he received from Bill O'Reilly. I love how people who have never have a loved one murdered or lost unjustly can get up on their high horse and tell the ones who have how they're supposed to feel. "Why, if it were me I'd torture them/drop an H-bomb/fry them in the electric chair..."

Well, its not you rear end in a top hat and not everyone shares in your blood lust.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 23, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Bill O'Reilly lives in the year 2013 and was so sure no one else knew how the tides work that he yelled at America through the TV that because he didn't know how it worked (and by extension everyone else on the planet), that means God is real. This actually happened and he's still on TV.

What

the

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Bread goes in, toast comes out! You can't explain that!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zeroisanumber posted:

That woman is the best evidence that David Icke has of the Lizard People.

Nah Nancy Grace descended from the Owl Warriors of Outer Hyperborea.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Eulogistics posted:

He's now ranting about how it has replaced CNN as the go-to network for news and stuff.

RPZip posted:

It's been the top cable news network for a while. Over the last week, it was the top cable network period.

Wait, I thought conservative viewpoints were being stifled and marginalized by the widespread cancer of liberal media.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

beatlegs posted:

Wait, I thought conservative viewpoints were being stifled and marginalized by the widespread cancer of liberal media.
Yay doublethink!

I mean, the Boston bombing has amply demonstrated yet again that even if liberal bias is a real thing, it's got to be waaaaaay down on the list of things that're wrong with the media. And yeah, it's pretty weird for people to complain about the "mainstream" media and then tune into the most popular cable news network.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Guilty Spork posted:

Yay doublethink!

I mean, the Boston bombing has amply demonstrated yet again that even if liberal bias is a real thing, it's got to be waaaaaay down on the list of things that're wrong with the media. And yeah, it's pretty weird for people to complain about the "mainstream" media and then tune into the most popular cable news network.

Cognitive dissonance is fun.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I remember listening to Fox News Talk right after the election. A guy called into Brian kilmeade's show and started going on about the mainstream media. He had Brian right with him until the guy started talking about how no one watches Fox News and how the liberal media is going to ruin the channel. Brian immediately cuts him off, thanks him for calling and then reminds everyone how Fox News is the most watched cable news station.

It was magical.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I remember listening to Fox News Talk right after the election. A guy called into Brian kilmeade's show and started going on about the mainstream media. He had Brian right with him until the guy started talking about how no one watches Fox News and how the liberal media is going to ruin the channel. Brian immediately cuts him off, thanks him for calling and then reminds everyone how Fox News is the most watched cable news station.

It was magical.

They let Kilmeade do more than just Fox and Friends? The guy who said Americans and Scandinavians can't be compared because the former marries different species and ethnicities? Why would you give his mouth more opportunities for feet to be inserted into it? :psyduck:

EDIT: I don't care for Gretchen Carlson but it's pretty :3: watching her score a basket after Kilmeade gets dunked on twice by a bemused John Wall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpeY3069Ia8&t=15s

VVVVV Here's the "other species" vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqbL9-HzxH4

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 24, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Nice Davis posted:

The guy who said Americans and Scandinavians can't be compared because the former marries different species and ethnicities?
Haha, I missed that one. Are they marrying reindeer and moose or something? What's going on up there?

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

ReindeerF posted:

Haha, I missed that one. Are they marrying reindeer and moose or something? What's going on up there?

Nah, if you watch the clip he's happy to tell us all that we're marrying other species and that the Swedes have a "pure society" :wtc:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Im pretty sure he was talking about Americans.

I mean come on everyone knows scandanavia is a 100% white homogeneous society, most of them have probably never even seen a black person!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

HaitianDivorce posted:

...and that the Swedes have a "pure society" :wtc:
Well that can't be true, because then some older Swedes I meet wouldn't occasionally lapse into rants about "the eemeegrantz" and how they fly to Sweden and tear up their passports on the plane and then claim asylum and BENEFITS!!!

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Axetrain posted:

Im pretty sure he was talking about Americans.

I mean come on everyone knows scandanavia is a 100% white homogeneous society, most of them have probably never even seen a black person!

That's the only reasons that their laws, from welfare, healthcare, gun ownership, and education works over there. Ignore everything else and privatize everything here people.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

:confused: How the gently caress did he think that was appropriate for some light hearted fluff piece about marriage being good? I love Gretchen desperately trying to keep it fun as the topic wildly swerves towards racial mixing being impure.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

watt par posted:

UMass Dartmouth and Bunker Hill Community College count as "elite" now. That'll help with student recruitment.

They are to a guy who didn't get a college degree. (Rush, Hannity and Beck)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

swampland posted:

:confused: How the gently caress did he think that was appropriate for some light hearted fluff piece about marriage being good? I love Gretchen desperately trying to keep it fun as the topic wildly swerves towards racial mixing being impure.
I know it's Fox but I'm surprised he managed to not get fired for that. Maybe it was too hardcore and backwards to be racism in the "gotcha" sense, shooting the eugenics moon or something. And it's not just the content but yeah, like you said that it's unprompted makes it even worse.