Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

TheNothingNew posted:

Here's my deal, though: I want a quiet low-maintenance standard, 650cc or less, 65 hp or less, for cheap. Not spending a lot on my first bike.
So shaft drive = low maintenance, right? But for the 1990s onward, shaft drives are only for BMWs or literbike tourers.
Standards seem not to exist, everything is a cruiser (hell no) or a sportbike (meh).
Oh, and around that time everyone apparently went from 125cc dirtbikes straight to GIXXAHS with no in-between.

Sorry, venting a little.

Here's the "gently caress it, it's a bike, I guess I can live with it" list. If I'm missing anything, or if any of these are inappropriate for some reason, I'd appreciate the input. I should point out that all of these are out of my $2k price range, according to what I'm seeing on Craigslist:

All the bikes you list on your "gently caress it" list are fine starter bikes. Honda CX500s and Buell Blasts are pretty low maintenance standard bikes too. I noticed a few CXs on your craigslist.

You're going to have a rough time finding something worthwhile and low-maintenance for under $2000 with a shaft drive that isn't a cruiser though. I'd also bet a beer that just about any 30-year-old bike with four 30-year-old carburetors is going to need more fiddly maintenance than a 15-20 year old twin with a chain. A chain will last like 15,000 miles no problem but I agree they suck (get something with a belt, I am only half-joking).

For newbie-style street riding on a newbie-friendly bike, I am not sure how much you need to worry about having two discs up front. Especially when maintenance scales pretty linearly with quantity of brakes - and you're after low-maintenance. With a newer bike like some of the ones you list, they'll also tend to be lighter, mitigating the need for massive braking force; those older ones run two discs because they have to.

Basically, I'd look for something a little newer with two cylinders that has been reasonably maintained and worry less about whether it has a chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

TheNothingNew posted:

Forgot to bookmark this last time, then couldn't find it. Thanks.

I think I was looking for an excuse not to buy that bike. Pretty sure "this thing will not die" was the tip-off: makes me wonder just what he's done to try and kill it.

gently caress. I thought '80s or newer would cover that. Weight was worrying me a bit, as I'm average height and most of what I was looking at are pushing 500 pounds.

Here's my deal, though: I want a quiet low-maintenance standard, 650cc or less, 65 hp or less, for cheap. Not spending a lot on my first bike.
So shaft drive = low maintenance, right? But for the 1990s onward, shaft drives are only for BMWs or literbike tourers.
Standards seem not to exist, everything is a cruiser (hell no) or a sportbike (meh).
Oh, and around that time everyone apparently went from 125cc dirtbikes straight to GIXXAHS with no in-between.

How about a Buell Blast, they're dirt cheap, have a belt instead of a chain, and should be really easy to find in Wisconsin of all places.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Pokey Araya posted:

It's your first bike, not your last.
Whoops edit #2: Your budget is $2000 now, advice still stands.

Valid point. I do have gear, and am budgeting separately for real gloves and boots.
Insurance should be next to nothing. Inspection... crap. Always something you forget, right?

I did have the wrong idea, apparently. Just wanted one less thing to worry about, you know?

M42 posted:

You can't find a ninja 250 for less than 2k in Milwaukee? [...] How long have you spent looking?

Since being told that all bikes as old as I am are poo poo. So, maybe 3 hours.

M42 posted:

Relax a little, you seem really wound up about it.

More so than I should be, yeah. I'd go for a walk, but it's pissing down right now.

Halo_4am posted:

Hello future 80's bike lover with a now $2k budget. Chitown's a bit of a drive from Milwaukee but I still have this bike for sale: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=34#post407378172

Appreciate it, but I don't like v-twins. Luck to you with your sale.

clutchpuck posted:

All the bikes you list on your "gently caress it" list are fine starter bikes. Honda CX500s and Buell Blasts are pretty low maintenance standard bikes too. I noticed a few CXs on your craigslist.

You're going to have a rough time finding something worthwhile and low-maintenance for under $2000 with a shaft drive that isn't a cruiser though. I'd also bet a beer that just about any 30-year-old bike with four 30-year-old carburetors is going to need more fiddly maintenance than a 15-20 year old twin with a chain. A chain will last like 15,000 miles no problem but I agree they suck (get something with a belt, I am only half-joking).

For newbie-style street riding on a newbie-friendly bike, I am not sure how much you need to worry about having two discs up front. Especially when maintenance scales pretty linearly with quantity of brakes - and you're after low-maintenance. With a newer bike like some of the ones you list, they'll also tend to be lighter, mitigating the need for massive braking force; those older ones run two discs because they have to.

I'd love to add a Honda to the list, but one that ended production in 1983 doesn't quite fit the bill. Pretty, though.

The weight-brakes thing makes a serious amount of sense, thanks.

Hadn't looked at belt-drive bikes at all. Didn't think they were very common. Anything 1990s beginner-friendly belt drive you can think of?

High Protein posted:

How about a Buell Blast, they're dirt cheap, have a belt instead of a chain, and should be really easy to find in Wisconsin of all places.

Because Harley. Also I've heard nothing but bad things about them, but mainly: gently caress Harley.

Wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone. Sometimes I need my head smacked a bit.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Maybe you'll be able to find a BMW F650CS within your budget? Also, hating Harley doesn't preclude owning a Buell, heck most Buell owners hate Harley for killing the brand.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Just to be clear, shaft drives aren't maintenance-free, they're just maintenance-less-often. The biggest advantage is that you can ride in the rain without worrying about washing your lube off. On a 30 year old bike there's decent odds the shaft drive will need some maintenance. Same goes for belts.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

TheNothingNew posted:

Hadn't looked at belt-drive bikes at all. Didn't think they were very common. Anything 1990s beginner-friendly belt drive you can think of?

The Buell Blast and Savage 650/Boulevard S40 pretty much exhaust the list. But "gently caress Harley" and "hell no", respectively.

You know for somebody who hasn't even got their first bike and has a tight budget, you have a lot of firm requirements and non-starters.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Just to be clear, shaft drives aren't maintenance-free, they're just maintenance-less-often. The biggest advantage is that you can ride in the rain without worrying about washing your lube off. On a 30 year old bike there's decent odds the shaft drive will need some maintenance. Same goes for belts.

Yep, all bikes no matter what need some maintenance on a regular basis. You can't weasel out of that.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I"m bothered by a lot of this discussion.

Bikes are unfuckingbelievably simple. A 1982 GS650, provided you find an unmolested bike, is going to be really damned reliable. Same for a CB650. Or a GS850. Or a GS1100. Or FJ1200. Or any of a few dozen other bike models.

Just do "normal" maintance, and they'll treat you with above normal reliability.

Buell Blasts have a very poor reputation for reliability. For a variety of reasons, oil leaks, transmission trouble, electrical issues. They're bad bikes from all reports.

The GS650 has closer to 70hp, than 60.

Bikes, in general are maintenance heavy machines. Replacing clutch cables, throttle cables, brake pads, fork seals... If you want truly low maintenance, you're looking at scooters.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah, I have a friend who is bike shopping now and I keep telling him that age and mileage doesn't mean much to a degree, how the bike was kept and used makes a much bigger difference. He was writing off 80s and higher mileage bikes without a second glance and I think it's a mistake. I'm not saying every one is going to be good, but they're at least worth seeing in person. If that guy has been riding and maintaining that GS650 (and it looks good in person obviously) I'd take it over a low mileage mid 90s gs500 that had been sitting for 5 or 10 years.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The biggest problem is that as a first-time buyer you don't know what looks or sounds wrong at point of sale and you're going to have a harder time noticing or understanding when something does go wrong until you get proficient. This is much less of an issue if you have someone experienced to look at the bike with you and check up on it every now and then after purchase.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
NothingNew has to be either an engineer, programmer, or IT guy.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Definitely an engineer.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Here poo poo I would consider after a simple $2000 search, not familiar with the area, so I have no idea on drive times.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/3760374097.html Honda Sabre

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/3757375681.html Ninja: If you like/dont mind the school bus look :gay:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/3721386524.html Ninja

and if you don't have a problem with a 500+ pound, $2500 bike

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/3738004367.html

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 23, 2013

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

TheNothingNew posted:

Valid point. I do have gear, and am budgeting separately for real gloves and boots.
Insurance should be next to nothing. Inspection... crap. Always something you forget, right?

I did have the wrong idea, apparently. Just wanted one less thing to worry about, you know?

Since being told that all bikes as old as I am are poo poo. So, maybe 3 hours.

More so than I should be, yeah. I'd go for a walk, but it's pissing down right now.

Appreciate it, but I don't like v-twins. Luck to you with your sale.

I'd love to add a Honda to the list, but one that ended production in 1983 doesn't quite fit the bill. Pretty, though.

The weight-brakes thing makes a serious amount of sense, thanks.

Because Harley. Also I've heard nothing but bad things about them, but mainly: gently caress Harley.

Wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone. Sometimes I need my head smacked a bit.

So, how about we not play Fido Barks the Numbers?

What bike do you want to buy?

Buy it.

Done.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
^^Thanks for solving the thread there, guy.^^

Snowdens Secret posted:

The biggest problem is that as a first-time buyer you don't know what looks or sounds wrong at point of sale and you're going to have a harder time noticing or understanding when something does go wrong until you get proficient. This is much less of an issue if you have someone experienced to look at the bike with you and check up on it every now and then after purchase.

This right here. New, and no support network.

Pokey Araya posted:

NothingNew has to be either an engineer, programmer, or IT guy.

Former IT.

nsaP posted:

Definitely an engineer.

I wish. I'm a butcher, now.
Trying to get into technical writing, which kind of closes that gap with engineering.

Pokey Araya posted:

Here poo poo I would consider after a simple $2000 search, not familiar with the area, so I have no idea on drive times.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/3760374097.html Honda Sabre

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/3757375681.html Ninja: If you like/dont mind the school bus look :gay:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/3721386524.html Ninja

and if you don't have a problem with a 500+ pound, $2500 bike

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/3738004367.html

Heh. All but the last one came up as links I'd already clicked on.
The Sabre is an 1100cc bike with 121 hp. Come on, man; you're just trying to kill me, now.

The yellow thing is hideous. The blue/black, assuming it's for sale the next time I have a day off... hmm. Jacket might even fit, as well.

Gonna go browse the Ninja 250 thread some more.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

TheNothingNew posted:

The yellow thing is hideous.

You take that back!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

TheNothingNew posted:

It's a pretty practical solution. We could do the endless ask/tell/reject loop or you could find and buy something you like.

TheNothingNew posted:

The Sabre is an 1100cc bike with 121 hp. Come on, man; you're just trying to kill me, now.

'80s VFs aren't exactly great bikes to own, too, unless you really like '80s VFs.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 23, 2013

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
drat, thought that sabre was smaller than that, still working on a hangover and not thinking too clearly.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

TheNothingNew posted:

You sit there and bitch enough about every suggestion, that it seems clear that there's a certain bike you really want, and are just waiting for someone to suggest it so you can affirm whatever it is you'd like to get.

Just spit out the bike, make it easier.

As for the suggested bikes, buy that Sabre. It's pretty much checking off everything you want.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

clutchpuck posted:

It's a pretty practical solution. We could do the endless ask/tell/reject loop or you could find and buy something you like.

For real. He's even put an SV650 on his list then later rules out v-twins. What bike do you want to buy, TheNothingNew?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Nerobro posted:

I"m bothered by a lot of this discussion.

Bikes are unfuckingbelievably simple. A 1982 GS650, provided you find an unmolested bike, is going to be really damned reliable. Same for a CB650. Or a GS850. Or a GS1100. Or FJ1200. Or any of a few dozen other bike models.

Just do "normal" maintance, and they'll treat you with above normal reliability.

Buell Blasts have a very poor reputation for reliability. For a variety of reasons, oil leaks, transmission trouble, electrical issues. They're bad bikes from all reports.

The GS650 has closer to 70hp, than 60.

Bikes, in general are maintenance heavy machines. Replacing clutch cables, throttle cables, brake pads, fork seals... If you want truly low maintenance, you're looking at scooters.

Old bikes in theory are reliable - the problem is they sit and rot and lots of stuff goes bad when they sit and rot.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
We're approaching the "Pissing in the well" point....

Some goons from years past posted:

OP: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Goons1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
OP: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Goon5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Goons6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Goon9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
OP: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Goon10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
OP: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Goons11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
OP: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Goon19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Goon20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!""
"OP: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Goons1-20 piss in the well**
Goon21: "Guys, seriously... stop peeing in the well.""

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
^^Haven't read that in years. Thank you.^^

Safety Dance posted:

You take that back!

The yellow thing is not to my liking. Apologies.

Pokey Araya posted:

drat, thought that sabre was smaller than that, still working on a hangover and not thinking too clearly.

It's nothing. Rough day all around.

nsaP posted:

For real. He's even put an SV650 on his list then later rules out v-twins. What bike do you want to buy, TheNothingNew?

Like I said, I'm new. The SV650 was on the list because it always gets mentioned in newbie recommendations, that's all.

ThatCguy posted:

You sit there and bitch enough about every suggestion, that it seems clear that there's a certain bike you really want, and are just waiting for someone to suggest it so you can affirm whatever it is you'd like to get.

At first, yeah, that is kind of what I was doing, with the addendum that I was hoping that the bike I was thinking of even existed and I just hadn't heard of it yet.

The helpful people in the thread brought me around to the Ninja 250 way of thinking, at least until I have some experience under my belt.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

TheNothingNew posted:

Going to look at this tomorrow, weather (and thread advice) pending:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/3722987220.html
(1982 Suzuki GS 650)

First bike, looking for something for about town, eventual freeway, with minimal maintenance. Little-to-no off-road.
This seem good? Any issues jump out for more experienced eyes? I know a 650 is the top of the newbie-friendly list, but I'm also looking for something I won't outgrow for a while.

Sadly they deleted that post.

This isn't your first bike right? 89hp, big, heavy, but reliable like a tank. Will continue to run well with bad carb boots and crap fuel. GS1100GK.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/3760662001.html

Change the oil, make sure the radiator is never dry. Check the stator every year. Ride till you're 90.Honda GL500
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcd/3761153077.html

Unmolested 1981 GS650GL. If I didn't have a GS650E, I'd be all over this.
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/3745381469.html

Clean, CB650. They have funny charging systems, but there's good aftermarket support.
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/3757603160.html

The key is to buy something after 1980, as everything after 1980 has electronic ignitoin. Points require regular, frequent, maintenance. Throw a bottle of carb cleaner in your tank BEFORE it starts running funny. And change the oil, and any bike above will run until you're ready for your next bike.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Nerobro posted:

This isn't your first bike right?

But it is. That's why I asked the thread's advice: I'm spanking new, don't know what I'm doing, and don't have a local support network.

I like and appreciate all of your points from the previous post... but not for me. I'm too green.

Oh, yeah:

Nerobro posted:

Unmolested 1981 GS650GL. If I didn't have a GS650E, I'd be all over this.
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/3745381469.html

This sonofabitch has re-posted this ad every other day for the past three weeks. He still hasn't figured out that he forgot to list a way to contact him.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Pokey Araya posted:

We're approaching the "Pissing in the well" point....

hahaha, that reminds me of buying the R1.

Hey guys, have I told you about the R1 I used to have?

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
So it seems like the man with the Buell has been rescheduling on me every single day for the past week and I've started to drift into looking for other bikes. My criterion has actually changed a little bit, my budget raised to the 2000-4000 area so I have more room to work with.

Would anyone be willing to take a look in the San Marcos/Austin/San Antonio lists for some good deals? Mind you I don't have ready transportation right now so if something can be found locally (San Marcos) That would be amazing.

Edit: I am generally looking for cruisers, 500-800cc range. Low maintenance is a plus but not required.

ArbitraryTA fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 23, 2013

M42
Nov 12, 2012

TheNothingNew posted:

But it is. That's why I asked the thread's advice: I'm spanking new, don't know what I'm doing, and don't have a local support network.

It'd probably help if you actually listened to us and didn't shoot down things without knowing anything about them. C'mon man.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

ArbitraryTA posted:

So it seems like the man with the Buell has been rescheduling on me every single day for the past week and I've started to drift into looking for other bikes. My criterion has actually changed a little bit, my budget raised to the 2000-4000 area so I have more room to work with.

Would anyone be willing to take a look in the San Marcos/Austin/San Antonio lists for some good deals? Mind you I don't have ready transportation right now so if something can be found locally (San Marcos) That would be amazing.

Edit: I am generally looking for cruisers, 500-800cc range. Low maintenance is a plus but not required.

I crawl the Austin CL all day everyday, I'll be on the look out.

BA-BAM! http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/3756357280.html

You said you're 5'5 right? Should be able to fit on it.

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 23, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

You want a KLR650.

Source: Everyone wants a KLR650.

KLR650

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ArbitraryTA posted:

When you posted before, I got in touch with my friend Joel who works at The Motorcycle Shop in San Antonio. He told me they have a Suzuki Intruder 1400 that's worth looking at. It's a big guy though, not what you say you're after. They have a BMW R60/7 that looks like it's in good shape, too. http://themotorcycleshopsa.com/?p=2035 and http://themotorcycleshopsa.com/?p=2090 respectively.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
So I found this http://sanmarcos.craigslist.org/mcy/3759777392.html

I normally don't like Harleys, but Sportsters I've always viewed as being pretty ok, though I've never owned one only ridden one on occasion and it was an 883 like this.

Any opinions?

Edit: Also taking a look at that Marauder. The Intruder is a bit too bulky for what will be a lot of in-town riding imo which is why I have been trying to stay at a lower displacement.

ArbitraryTA fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 24, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Sportsters are solid bikes. The 4-cam unit evo motor in it is pretty legendary in its dependability. And for what its worth, a stock 1200 doesn't make much more power than the 883; I wouldn't rule out the bigger one if you can find one you like, they are essentially the same except for the bore. It's like 53 vs. 60 horsepower.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Safety Dance posted:

You want a KLR650.

KLR650

drat... I kinda want a KLR650 now.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Coredump posted:

Don't you live in Atlanta? It's going up on Craigslist before I move.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Coredump posted:

I was in a kawi dealer today and I couldn't stop staring at their KLR.

I want a KLR

and I HAVE a KLR. (just not in kawi green like the one at the dealer oooooo)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Costco has a KLR650 for sale here. Truly the best store. :unsmith:

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Man after selling my KLR 650, I now lust over the, KLR Super Sherpa. What's that you say?!?!

249cc of pure gut-wrenching power (14.5hp) mated to a six speed transmission and a featherweight coming in at 281 pounds.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
When I was 16 my buddy got one of those after saving up from his pet store job. It was the poo poo and I was insanely jealous.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

I, too, want a KLR650. Or KLX. I'm still annoyed that I didn't pick up the KLX I saw listed at 9k SEK here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Pokey Araya posted:

Man after selling my KLR 650, I now lust over the, KLR Super Sherpa. What's that you say?!?!

249cc of pure gut-wrenching power (14.5hp) mated to a six speed transmission and a featherweight coming in at 281 pounds.

Okay, even I want a Super Sherpa. 14.5hp is more power than my first bike had.