Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ooooo what if the blood has, like, Khan's essence in it and in the next Trek we get all Evil Dead II/Army of Darkness where Kirk is Ash with evil Ash coming out and its filmed Rami style on shoestring budget? That'd be awesome. Then we get Kirk and evil Kirk. Bonus points if mirror universe Kirk shows up. 2 evil Kirks working together against 1 good Kirk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigo One
Mar 29, 2010
Didn't JJ Abrams explicitly state at one point that he wasn't going to remake WoK? And it sounds like that's almost exactly what he did, except neutered.

I have to believe this is a troll because it's pretty bad.

Vertigo One fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 23, 2013

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Vertigo One posted:

I have to believe this is a troll because it's pretty bad.

Isn't it confirmed by multiple reviews, since the film premiered down there? I only checked the one link...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Thom12255 posted:

Agreed, I don't trust my willpower enough to stay.

Me too. I cannot cannot summon the willpower to go past another black box. I thought I could, but if I see one more I'm gonna do it.

I usually read spoilers but there's a point where I'm either so close to seeing it or the spoilers are so detailed that I have to GET OUT!! GET OUT OF THERE!!

We have reached that point. See you in 3 weeks and about 300 pages.

Vertigo One
Mar 29, 2010

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Isn't it confirmed by multiple reviews, since the film premiered down there? I only checked the one link...

I'm just hoping. The whole thing sounds exactly like what I'd expect from a JJ Abrams movie, but I'm certainly going to go see it regardless. The spoilers don't bother me since I didn't have any emotional investment in this one being great.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think my favorite shot is still from the trailer where Alice Eve looks at the camera and starts screaming. I think that's going to be the best part.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Honestly, that sounds really fun to me, especially if it means Nu Trek 3 has a stronger/faster Kirk, who gets in more fist fights with Gorns and Klingons and double-fist-pounds every alien they come across. It'd be a fun way to add in some of the ridiculous physicality the show had. I'm excited!

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Vertigo One posted:

I'm just hoping. The whole thing sounds exactly like what I'd expect from a JJ Abrams movie, but I'm certainly going to go see it regardless. The spoilers don't bother me since I didn't have any emotional investment in this one being great.

I can't get over how awful it sounds though. It doesn't sound like a JJ movie, it sounds like a Damon Lindelof movie. I mean, the first part, ok sure... But that ending... Ugh. That's irredeemable.

I'll say this much, after reading that, I don't want Abrams anywhere loving near Star Wars.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Without even having to go into the spoilers, if you were thinking this movie would be smart or creative or reflect any of the deeper narratives of the show, well then, you were bound to be disappointed b/c it's not about that, it's action shlock you idiots.

Vertigo One
Mar 29, 2010

Some Other Guy posted:

Without even having to go into the spoilers, if you were thinking this movie would be smart or creative or reflect any of the deeper narratives of the show, well then, you were bound to be disappointed b/c it's not about that, it's action shlock you idiots.

Agreed, I'm still just happy that the franchise as a whole is alive and kicking.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Some Other Guy posted:

From what I just read, this movie was written more in the tone of GI:Joe Rise of Cobra than the 2009 Abrams Trek. Dumb action "schlock" is fine by me, but this is Prometheus levels of dumb.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Prometheus was far from dumb. Dear God don't poo poo on Prometheus by associating or comparing it in anyway with JJ Trek.

I'm only going to look forward to some analysis by people like SuperMechaGodzilla to see how this is redeemed.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

So I caved. Is it me or does this just sound like bad fanfiction? :stare: I hope it's a troll. I haven't seen any other sources yet besides "some guy on imdb.com"

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Gatts posted:

Prometheus was far from dumb. Dear God don't poo poo on Prometheus by associating or comparing it in anyway with JJ Trek.

I'm only going to look forward to some analysis by people like SuperMechaGodzilla to see how this is redeemed.

Prometheus is the dumbest genre film to come out in a long time. But I don't want to derail on that.

The point I'm trying to make, is that that ending is some seriously hackneyed stupidity, and sounds like something out of a Saturday Morning Cartoon. And the way it's described in that spoiler link, I don't know how anyone can defend that as sounding good.

I'll concede that it's entirely possible it could "work" - but based on that brief description from the spoiler link, I don't see how.

Kazy posted:

So I caved. Is it me or does this just sound like bad fanfiction? :stare:

Exactly how I feel.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Even if this movie is really stupid I can't imagine it being stupider than something like Turnabout Intruder. Right? It's not a retelling of that episode is it? If it is, someone please spoil me on that.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Surlaw posted:

Even if this movie is really stupid I can't imagine it being stupider than something like Turnabout Intruder. Right? It's not a retelling of that episode is it? If it is, someone please spoil me on that.

No, it's not.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Hasters posted:

No, it's not.

So, which insane TOS episode is this a remake of? I think that's all the spoiling I care about.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It doesn't sound like a JJ movie, it sounds like a Damon Lindelof movie.

Lindelof is awesome because he writes great endings that piss off literalists and pedants.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Gau posted:

So, which insane TOS episode is this a remake of? I think that's all the spoiling I care about.

I hope it's Catspaw or The Alternative Factor.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Gau posted:

None really, the best way to describe it; again assuming the spoilers are true is Space Seed (TOS) meets Inquisition (DS9) meets WoK.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Jack posted:

From what I just read, this movie was written more in the tone of GI:Joe Rise of Cobra than the 2009 Abrams Trek. Dumb action "schlock" is fine by me, but this is Prometheus levels of dumb.

I'm avoiding spoilers, but if that is your logic, it sounds like I'm going to love this movie. Reminder: not everyone feels the same way about Prometheus that you do.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
aaaaand gently caress this thread until I watch it.

I shall not crack! :colbert:

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

reagan posted:

I'm avoiding spoilers, but if that is your logic, it sounds like I'm going to love this movie. Reminder: not everyone feels the same way about Prometheus that you do.

I felt like Prometheus promised one thing and then delivered something completely different. I'm going in expecting an extra-long TOS episode with better effects. So far, it seems like everything here is delivering on that.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Aatrek posted:

Welp, that does it for me, I guess. See you all in three weeks.

An older friend said he remembered when they were showing WOK in the theaters and they had back-to-back showings of it, and they had to make people who had just watched it leave through the fire exit because everyone was exclaiming, "OH MY GOD THEY KILLED SPOCK!" He said they did the same for Empire Strikes back.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

this is Prometheus levels of dumb.

I'm looking forward to this being a great movie that nerds refuse to understand.

But seriously, those spoilers have me hells of excited.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I just want to say that I was given a load of poo poo for saying "I refuse to believe Cumberbatch isn't Khan until I'm seeing the end credits in the theater" because I genuinely didn't believe JJ&Co. and the marketing had it in them to avoid retreading Khan. Everyone was all BUT JOHN HARRISON! BUT THEY SAID HE WASN'T KHAN! HOW CAN YOU BE SO STUPID!

I loving CALLED IT BITCHES

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Some Other Guy posted:

Tuxedo Jack posted:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I am ridiculously nonplussed by the details from that spoiler link. I have faith that it'll play entirely differently on screen than it will just reading the bullet points.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

jivjov posted:

I am ridiculously nonplussed by the details from that spoiler link. I have faith that it'll play entirely differently on screen than it will just reading the bullet points.

I agree. I completely spoiled the previous movie before seeing it in the theatre, and I loved it anyhow. Some of the spoiler details definitely make me much more interested in seeing this now! I'm really curious how they pull some of that stuff off.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I just want to know what show you guys were watching that wasn't corny, cheeky, and action-centered, because

I'll let my home-boy Spock break it down for ya:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I'm not really bothered by most of the spoilers, just disappointed. That ending though sounds incredibly stupid and I hope it isn't true.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Execution is everything. Good idea and bad idea aren't all that far apart.

As bad as some parts sound, there's also tribbles . So it's up by one already.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Execution is everything. Good idea and bad idea aren't all that far apart.

As bad as some parts sound, there's also tribbles . So it's up by one already.

Yeah I was confused as I was reading the summary then I got to that part and it all clicked for me. This movie's going to be so good

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hope the climax is Kirk and his crew using Tribbles to defeat Khan.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Okay, I cracked and read the spoilers, and I am joining the chorus to say this sounds awesome and the dude posting about it is just angry.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Gatts posted:

I hope the climax is Kirk and his crew using Tribbles to defeat Khan.

I hope Khan forgets that his giant evil enterprise can go up and down.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Gau posted:

I just want to know what show you guys were watching that wasn't corny, cheeky, and action-centered, because

I'll let my home-boy Spock break it down for ya:

What kind of idiot would waste their time watching TOS, that dumb poo poo isnt real star trek

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Some Other Guy posted:

What kind of idiot would waste their time watching TOS, that dumb poo poo isnt real star trek

Yeah now this is real trek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FM6Xfs2ZoY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjmLnOzgRpE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8mSO7G_q3o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kubQL-0gt_Q

:v:

e: forgot one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M38niSUEWtY

Pops Mgee fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 24, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Frankly TOS is the only Star Trek I've ever enjoyed. It's got the best characters and the best set designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

If they only remade the DS9 episode "The Visitor" into a movie, then THAT would be a good trek movie. Instead they go with whatever revenge plot blows up the most props

• Locked thread