Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

scary ghost dog posted:

These are all GIS results so most of them are probably fan posters. The first one is definitely a theatrical poster though.

This one is pretty great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Vagabundo posted:

It's lazy as poo poo. Quite frankly, it's lazier than those lovely minimalist posters. At least the minimalist pieces of poo poo have some degree of thought going into them.

It's a movie still. People seem to love movie stills as posters. I'm not sure what's more lazy about this than those... the person attempted to choose a picture that could sell people on the movie.

It's better than floating heads and it's better than minimalist crap that you have to be :spergin: to understand.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
It's a beautiful screencap from a beautiful film. It's

A) a million times better than the awful original poster, where it's clear what they were going for but missed the mark by a mile by hiring a budget artist

B) a billion times better than the Kinkade-esque Drew Struzan sub-Star Wars Final Cut cover art.

"Lazy" has nothing to do with it. It's a stupid term. Does the poster need to do 20 push ups or something?

It's a good visual. I'm mostly bored of 'clever' or graphic design heavy films. The poster nails the tone perfectly. That's what it's supposed to do. It might well be a screencap for the film, but that's fine, because the film itself is a work of art. The light, the grain, the tone, it's all there.

Pfft, "lazy".

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I like that poster a lot, it hits the mood of sad violence very well, it's got the beautiful and evocative color balance that helps make the film so memorable, and it evokes the era with its vaguely VHS covery look without being obnoxious or garish about it.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
I have The Goonies over my kitchen table, Slapshot and 2001 in the bedroom, and Jaws in my hallway. My brother in law commissioned my fiance's favorite scene from Lord of the Rings in a huge painting (the killing of the witch king) hanging over the couch, flanked by signed COD posters.

The only one I've wanted to add is one I keep seeing every now and then and forgetting about it. It has a skeleton in a spacesuit buried in sand with a spaceship in the background. Its a painted vintage poster. Anyone know that one?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

echoplex posted:

A) a million times better than the awful original poster, where it's clear what they were going for but missed the mark by a mile by hiring a budget artist

B) a billion times better than the Kinkade-esque Drew Struzan sub-Star Wars Final Cut cover art.

"Lazy" has nothing to do with it. It's a stupid term. Does the poster need to do 20 push ups or something?

It's a good visual. I'm mostly bored of 'clever' or graphic design heavy films. The poster nails the tone perfectly. That's what it's supposed to do. It might well be a screencap for the film, but that's fine, because the film itself is a work of art. The light, the grain, the tone, it's all there.

Pfft, "lazy".

No, you don't get it. It needs to be given drawn linework out the wazoo so as to age everyone by 10-20 years before it's had enough effort thrown at it.

In all seriousness. It's a moody shot from a moody film and I much prefer posters that try to evoke the mood and tone of the film rather than trying to cram the synopsis onto the poster.

The tagline and gun should clue you in that it's a scifi, the mood of the picture does the rest.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

The only one I've wanted to add is one I keep seeing every now and then and forgetting about it. It has a skeleton in a spacesuit buried in sand with a spaceship in the background. Its a painted vintage poster. Anyone know that one?

This one?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
It's a good still. The still conveys the mood and feeling you're talking about. The still is a tiny part of the poster, which is a horrible total product. Yes there's a great still in it, but the poster itself still has two feet of black space and poor typeface and layout management. It is a beautiful still, yes, in the middle of a poo poo poster. Dropping even the best imagery straight out of the film into the middle of a black sheet is about the laziest thing a human being can do. That poster took all of four minutes to design. A film that is that memorable deserves a hell of a lot more effort.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Slim Killington posted:

It's a good still. The still conveys the mood and feeling you're talking about. The still is a tiny part of the poster, which is a horrible total product. Yes there's a great still in it, but the poster itself still has two feet of black space and poor typeface and layout management. It is a beautiful still, yes, in the middle of a poo poo poster. Dropping even the best imagery straight out of the film into the middle of a black sheet is about the laziest thing a human being can do. That poster took all of four minutes to design. A film that is that memorable deserves a hell of a lot more effort.

The black border makes it feel isolated and dark, like the movie.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

I have this poster, becasue that is a striking image. I just need to frame it
http://www.polishposter.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1556

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

zenintrude posted:

It's a movie still. People seem to love movie stills as posters. I'm not sure what's more lazy about this than those... the person attempted to choose a picture that could sell people on the movie.

It's better than floating heads and it's better than minimalist crap that you have to be :spergin: to understand.

You pick a shot from the movie, slap it on a black background, put a tagline above and cannibalise the title and credit scroll underneath. It probably took about 10 minutes to put together.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
That one's awesome because it's impossible to not pay attention to. If it were on a wall a hundred feet away it would pull your eye.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Harrison Ford has seen some poo poo.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xappico Ford is a way better name than Harrison Ford.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Will Ferrel is Rick Deckard in Blade Runner.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

axleblaze posted:

Will Ferrel is Rick Deckard in Blade Runner.

I think you mean in Toñ, Wo Bixntb No Ne3y.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Can't figure out a funny way of saying this looks exactly like the North By Northwest poster, so I won't

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Here's the original without the MS painted-on Russian title:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Slim Killington posted:

Here's the original without the MS painted-on Russian title:

Hand written titles - this was only ever concept art, I guess?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I'm so confused as to why Deckard is running away terrified from a Spinner.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

zenintrude posted:

I'm so confused as to why Deckard is running away terrified from a Spinner.

No, no, that is clearly Blade Runner. See how he's running away?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That's a really nice still, would be cool if they filled the frame or something. I guess it helps that BR was Cronenweth's masterpiece, you could take pretty much anything from it and slap it on a poster and it'd look good.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Yes! Theres something I just really like about it.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

That's incredible.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

homerlaw posted:

I have this poster, becasue that is a striking image. I just need to frame it
http://www.polishposter.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1556

Did Beksinski do that poster art? It is rather eye appealing.

Edit: ..apparently not. It's Wieslaw Walkuski.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Wie...iw=1920&bih=965

Autechresaint fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 25, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I saw this one at a video rental place all the time but never got around to watching it. I'm sure its nowhere near as interesting as that poster.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

muscles like this? posted:

I saw this one at a video rental place all the time but never got around to watching it. I'm sure its nowhere near as interesting as that poster.

What's that you say? You have a taste for very bad apocalypse movies? Saw this one at the drive-in when it came out and it fits the bill.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

That was my favorite classic Scooby-Doo villain.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

You would be right on the money. The poster is pretty much the only good thing about the movie, although it does star Maury Chaykin as a horny Canadian survivalist.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Only movie poster I have hanging up

Shame it's such a stupid size though. Like, 22x34. Why would you make a poster that size. Come on.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Can't figure out a funny way of saying this looks exactly like the North By Northwest poster, so I won't

You didn't really need to try too hard, because the fact that it does is hilarious all by itself.

If you stripped the title and credits out, the only way I'd be able to tell that it was a Blade Runner poster would be Deckard's gun and trenchcoat. The police spinner is so grainy and washed out that I didn't even recognize it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I have kind of a gimmick in my basement - one movie poster from every decade.

1920's

1930's

1940's

1950's

1960's

1970's

1980's

1990's

2000's

2010's

X X X X X

And one in my office because it's one of my favorite taglines...

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I was wondering if there was a better Drive poster out there. I've looked around and this seems to be the only decent, non-lovely one. Some of the fan-made posters :ughh:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I've wanted a Drive poster since the film came out but even that one doesn't seem good enough to actually hang up

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sockser posted:

I've wanted a Drive poster since the film came out but even that one doesn't seem good enough to actually hang up

The character posters are pretty good, but that's about it.
http://www.moviepostershop.com/drive-movie-poster-2011

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

That Watchmen poster always reminds me of another comic book movie's poster.

I'm gonna blame the heavy blue clouds they share.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

echoplex posted:

Woah, woah, John Alvin is a million miles away from a budget artist. However they didn't bother to give him decent references. He redid the poster for the 25th Anniversary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

The character posters are pretty good, but that's about it.
http://www.moviepostershop.com/drive-movie-poster-2011

I've always liked this one:

It's actually the DVD cover of the Canadian release, I have it. It's much better than this piece of poo poo the other DVDs/Blurays got