Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
After doing some more looking, pretty much committing to that Sportster. For the price it's a great bike with some nice aftermarkets on it, dependable bike, appealing look, and the guy is riding it down for me to inspect and ride it before buying so he's even delivering it to me.

Now, watch it break down 20 miles into riding it because Harley-Davidson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Safety Dance posted:

Don't you live in Atlanta? It's going up on Craigslist before I move.

Shoot, I gotta decide if I'm going to sell my bike or hang on to it this year.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Crossposting from the dirtbike thread since no one goes there:

AncientTV posted:

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3712929824.html

If this has good compression, I can only assume a still-dirty carb, bad plug, needs valve adjustment, or something like a clogged fuel line. I know the 400s are indestructible, but how are these 125s? Would this be a pretty safe buy?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Coredump posted:

Shoot, I gotta decide if I'm going to sell my bike or hang on to it this year.

Don't do what I did and say "Oh yeah, I'll sell this bike later, after I buy that bike."

Multi-biek syndrome is the best biek syndrome.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pokey Araya posted:

Man after selling my KLR 650, I now lust over the, KLR Super Sherpa. What's that you say?!?!

249cc of pure gut-wrenching power (14.5hp) mated to a six speed transmission and a featherweight coming in at 281 pounds.

That's not my photo but that was my exact first bike, except the PO bolted a topcase and flat lexan windscreen to it. Pimp rear end gold rims and all. Great bike except for topping out at 110 km/h and a weird tendency to stall out under harder braking.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^^ Was that what you rode when I met you?

Xovaan posted:

Costco has a KLR650 for sale here. Truly the best store. :unsmith:

Jesus, thanks for telling me Costco in Canada sucks even in more ways I didn't know. :mad:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Costco actually has an entire Kawasaki partnership where you can pretty much get insane rates on street and offroad motorcycles. :)

I mean I personally think Kawasaki is the aesthetically worst motorcycle company outside of their dual sports and newer 250's but it's still pretty great if you're in the market for a new bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Xovaan posted:

I mean I personally think Kawasaki is the aesthetically worst motorcycle company outside of their dual sports and newer 250's but it's still pretty great if you're in the market for a new bike.

I own this now thanks to you cunts :colbert:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That isn't hideous at least. It could have been much better but it's not terrible. Sort of a face a mother loves.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Pregen 250s got a face only an owner could love. Slavvy's bike straight up rules.

e: actually the area around the battery cover's not very aesthetically coherent, but otherwise :allears:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Put a turbo on it.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Well I meant outside of their newer lines, not including their newer "retro" lines, which own. :colbert:

Big Dogg torque bros gotta stick 2gether :hfive:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

^^ Was that what you rode when I met you?

Naw, that was my first year with the weestrom. The sherpa would have been real interesting to try longer rides on.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Makes more sense. I was thinking you could do some sprited highway speeds decently enough :shobon:

You and I should do a Kalispell run this spring/summer.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Not interested in sport bikes, but wanting to do some highway travel this summer in BC. Never ridden before, but taking a rather pricey zero->licensed riding course at the end of May, its the only thing available around here and they have the ICBC tests integrated.

Thinking an older Honda CB500 or similar? Hoping for $1200 or less ish.

Rime fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 8, 2013

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Pokey Araya posted:

Man after selling my KLR 650, I now lust over the, KLR Super Sherpa. What's that you say?!?!

249cc of pure gut-wrenching power (14.5hp) mated to a six speed transmission and a featherweight coming in at 281 pounds.

I rode one of these my first time on a dirtbike, all on nice groomed Forest Service and county roads. I'm about 160 lbs, and that thing ripped just fine. Would own one in a minute. I couldn't keep up with the bigger bikes, but I could catch them on the turns every time. Maybe over time I would think it was underpowered, but I maintain that it's an incredibly sensible bike.

Slavvy posted:

You chose... wisely.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Is this probably a scam, or is this really only worth $1400?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/3764565505.html

EDIT: Oops, i read it as a '99, not a '90. Too many 9's!

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 25, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The "99" part of the price on a private sale gives me a little pause - that's usually a dealer thing - but the price seems right for a 23 year old Suzuki dualsport.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

drat, that looks so good.

Dutymode posted:

Is this probably a scam, or is this really only worth $1400?

drat, that looks so good.

I think this is about the point where I start looking for an additional bike. But I don't have any garage space. :choco:

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I rode one of these my first time on a dirtbike, all on nice groomed Forest Service and county roads. I'm about 160 lbs, and that thing ripped just fine. Would own one in a minute. I couldn't keep up with the bigger bikes, but I could catch them on the turns every time. Maybe over time I would think it was underpowered, but I maintain that it's an incredibly sensible bike.

You chose... wisely.

I had never heard of them until I found an ADVrider thread about a guy going through Mexico and South America on one. He completely avoids highways, I think it's the perfect bike for that. I'll dig it up when I'm not on my phone. He's been going for 3+ years at this point. A 250 with a six speed is so loving cool I can't believe it actually made it to production. You can still buy them new, if you go to the Kawi website they aren't listed in the onsite links, but you can google the link and find up to date promo material on the site.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

Makes more sense. I was thinking you could do some sprited highway speeds decently enough :shobon:

You and I should do a Kalispell run this spring/summer.

Yeah I could get behind that!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Pregen 250s got a face only an owner could love. Slavvy's bike straight up rules.

e: actually the area around the battery cover's not very aesthetically coherent, but otherwise :allears:

Interestingly, that isn't actually where the battery is. The air filter housing sits there and there is this giant, cavernous vertical storage space. The battery is right at the bottom by the swing arm pivot. I know this because the one thing wrong with it is the return throttle cable has a broken piece of tube and I tried to replace it yesterday thinking it would be straightforward :suicide:

Xovaan posted:

Well I meant outside of their newer lines, not including their newer "retro" lines, which own. :colbert:

Big Dogg torque bros gotta stick 2gether :hfive:

You have a B12 if I remember correctly? If so, senseless big-engine naked bikes rule :hfive:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Phy posted:

Yeah I could get behind that!

Sending you a PM

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pokey Araya posted:

I want this so bad. The gold wheels are an absolute must.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
So, the Sportster rides like a dream. New tires on it. Problem? The rear tire was too big and tore up the electrical wiring to the right rear blinker.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Bovril Delight posted:

I want this so bad. The gold wheels are an absolute must.

Sherpa is like, "go anywhere" in whatever language it is they speak. Do want. It's also sometimes "leave fat stupid American to die on side of mountain". Still want.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Pokey Araya posted:

So what are the differences between that, and, say, a WR250x

They're both 250 thumpers, 6 gears, about 300 pounds, disc brakes.

The WR is liquid cooled, and has EFI.
The SS is air cooled, and has carbs.

I don't know much about either bike, but I hear so much love for KLRs, and I'd like to know why they're so magical.

epswing fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 26, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The WR250X has EFI, a radiator, bigger brakes, quite a few more lbs, and a 17" wheel set.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Costs less, carbureted, half the power, lugged tires (not very aggressively though), very low seating position for a dual sport, front shocks narrower and right-side-up, fukken baller rimz.

Not every year of Sherpa got the rimz but the ones that did are objectively the best. And in Australia, they put a high front fender and extra racks on, and sell it as a farmranch bike: http://www.kawasaki.com.au/motorcycles/offroad/stockman

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
Would it be worth selling my 2004 Ninja 500 with 18xxx miles to get enough scratch to pick this thing up?

It's been listed for a little while and I want a bigger bike (ergonomics wise) something fierce. I'm too drat big for my ninja and it's causing me back problems on rides longer than 20 minutes.

I need to install the new battery I have coming before I could actually sell it, since I can't really ask for a reasonable price on a bike you have to push start.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The answer to "Should I buy a KLR?" is always yes.

KLR
KAY ELL ARR

You might benefit from some bar risers at 6'6". I'm 6'1" and I love the ergos on mine.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

Safety Dance posted:

The answer to "Should I buy a KLR?" is always yes.

KLR
KAY ELL ARR

You might benefit from some bar risers at 6'6". I'm 6'1" and I love the ergos on mine.

You make a compelling argument. It has swayed me. I will report back if I manage to get the bike.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YvYBwBNwhU :40 is golden.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
Great. Now I want it even more. Thanks :colbert:

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

DJ_Ferret posted:

Would it be worth selling my 2004 Ninja 500 with 18xxx miles to get enough scratch to pick this thing up?

It's been listed for a little while and I want a bigger bike (ergonomics wise) something fierce. I'm too drat big for my ninja and it's causing me back problems on rides longer than 20 minutes.

I need to install the new battery I have coming before I could actually sell it, since I can't really ask for a reasonable price on a bike you have to push start.

You should bring your Ninja down to Portland and sell it to meeeeeee.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

DJ_Ferret posted:

Great. Now I want it even more. Thanks :colbert:

KLR 650: The only bike EXTREME enough to require me to ENHANCE my left leg with TITANIUM!

(I broke my leg and took a picture of the scene because I had nothing better to do while waiting for rescue.)
(Don't be dumb. You'll be fine.)

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

You should bring your Ninja down to Portland and sell it to meeeeeee.

If you're seriously interested, email me at . But there's no way in hell I'm riding the shoulder destroyer all the way down to Portland.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
I'm going to be test riding the KLR tomorrow night.

Things to look out for? Any tests I should put the bike through on the test ride? Parts I should check for wear?

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
The SV that i had my eye on wasn't that good of a deal after all. Was dropped that the seller "forgot" to tell me.

I found a 2006 Kawasaki er-6n 650 that is in very good shape and only has 30k kilometers on it.

Anyone have any experiences with these?

The price is pretty good and i know the er-5 is a pretty nice bike, but i have no idea what the er-6 is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
I don't want to bury Barfolemew's question, but I did want to share a terrible cell phone pic I took of the KLR this morning in the company garage: