Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

You know what is also a really good alternative to walking?

Just keeping a skateboard in your backpack

Seriously longboards aren't super expensive and aren't gigantic by any means, just use a backpack and let the top six inches of it stick out from the big pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

death .cab for qt posted:

You know what is also a really good alternative to walking?

Just keeping a skateboard in your backpack

Seriously longboards aren't super expensive and aren't gigantic by any means, just use a backpack and let the top six inches of it stick out from the big pocket.

You don't understand. He doesn't want to get a skateboard or scooter. That is literally a thing he said.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

His website (which he handily lists on his profile) is where the real comedy gold is at.

Nothing screams "designer I'd like to hire" quite like a guy who can't even pick a font that doesn't make his surname look like "gently caress"

Click on iPhone and you'll see his design for 10 iPhone apps... which are all the exact same app but reskinned. :haw:

Oh god, that opening graphic. On cyan, no less.

That was some serious geocities poo poo :stare: I need to go wash my eyes out now.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Waffleman_ posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2009301036/abgo

It's a cell phone sized skateboard that you put on one foot that can only go on perfectly flat surfaces. I don't usually like watching project videos, but I literally had to to understand how this thing worked. And I still don't really get it.

Jesus christ, where to start. Firstly, you know what really sucks when you're going fast on a skateboard? Hitting rocks/bumps/cracks. On a usual skateboard/longboard this is mitigated by two things: the size of the wheels and the distribution of your weight across four wheels that are spread out. Because the wheels are far apart and fairly large you can dodge/go over rocks without too much trouble (most of the time). If you hit a rock using that thing all of your momentum is going to go and you are going to hit the ground hard. Notice in that video they only use it inside (for the mini, though to be fair that is the recommended use) and on a smooth surface carpark/park path. They don't use it on the streets or on a more public footpath like on a college campus. It also looks uncomfortable as hell to use. You can't really stand on it with two feet so you are going to keep all of your pressure on one foot, which will suck. In the video it also looks really hard to balance on. They do say in the FAQ that you can use regular skateboard wheels with it, but if you do that why don't you just buy a cheap skateboard? Hell, they make boards that are like a foot/two feet long and will fit perfectly in a backpack. They're filling a gap in the market I'm not entirely sure exists.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

You don't understand. He doesn't want to get a skateboard or scooter. That is literally a thing he said.
Then why did he make a tiny skateboard?

HighHobo
Aug 23, 2012

Zereth posted:

Then why did he make a tiny skateboard?

The future : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniaturization

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

My point is that he didn't want a skateboard, so he made... a skateboard.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Not as cool as those sneakers with the tuck-away wheels in them that we're popular a couple of years ago though.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2009301036/abgo

It's a cell phone sized skateboard that you put on one foot that can only go on perfectly flat surfaces. I don't usually like watching project videos, but I literally had to to understand how this thing worked. And I still don't really get it.

The main selling point is that it's tiny and fits in your pocket... but actually the wheels come in this big rear end bag. Oh and also in the comments it says to attach the wheels you need to be carrying a small hammer, and to detach them you need a small screwdriver. At this point you may as well just be carrying a skateboard.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Who will buy this stuff when hoverboards will be invented by 2015? Seems simply a bad business proposition in such an environment!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Decius posted:

Who will buy this stuff when hoverboards will be invented by 2015? Seems simply a bad business proposition in such an environment!

vvv This guy from a few pages back is working on them right now! vvv

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I've kept up with this thread but haven't seen this mentioned yet - the Eiphany onE Puck

When I first glanced at this, I thought, okay they stuck a thermoelectric generator in a puck with a boost regulator or whatever, good for them. That would be a feasible idea but probably would not produce much usable energy. It turns out they are in fact claiming their puck device will hold a Stirling engine, and not only that, will pump out 5V at 1000 mA (5 watts, in other words).

The good news is that Stirling engines are very efficient, however the bad news is that there's no way in hell they will ever cram a Stirling engine plus generator and electronics capable of producing 5 watts into a package that size. Even then, I don't know if a hot cup of coffee (or whatever) could transfer enough heat in to produce that 5 watts.

Their shipping target is March 2014, so it will be really interesting to check back on them in a year's time and see what they have come up with. I would be willing to bet they switch to a thermoelectric generator (which could easily be packaged into a puck shape) but it will only put out a fraction of the power.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/687530622/meme-tcg

The "Meme TCG." It is an exact copy of the pokemon trading card game. Except for the theme of the game being changed to unfunny image macros, every single card they have is identical to an existing pokemon card.

quote:

we have put many many long hours into the design, art and content of the game

They want 30,000 dollars.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Even without the nebulous legal ground of using rage faces without permission, even the use of the Pokemon font and the Pokeball imagery alone is enough to justify a lawsuit from Nintendo, even if you didn't outright copy their game. And you know, what better company to rip off than the company that literally proved that video game companies can be a formidable contender in the legal area when they brushed off loving Universal Pictures?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I wouldn't worry about that. According to their FAQ, they have consulted a lawyer about it.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
There was some discussion on the meme tgc 2 pages ago in this thread.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

I wouldn't worry about that. According to their FAQ, they have consulted a lawyer about it.

If they get sued and the lawyer represents them, he gets payed win or lose, right? So it would be in his best financial interest to let them break copyright.

Or the lawyer is dumb, at least in the area of copyright and fair use.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

...of SCIENCE! posted:

His website (which he handily lists on his profile) is where the real comedy gold is at.

Nothing screams "designer I'd like to hire" quite like a guy who can't even pick a font that doesn't make his surname look like "gently caress"

Is it me or does the site for his daughter have a prominent link to DIVORCE110.NET on it?

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
I was thinking about that Meme Card Game when it was first posted, and after some thought, I realized that even if they made original (and extensively play-tested) rules, original card designs, and original artwork for the cards, it would still be an awful kickstarter because the concept is dumb because memes are dumb. The layers of copyright infringement are really just icing on the cake.

What might work is a card game/board game/computer game where you try to create a successful internet meme, something that doesn't reference memes specifically but more generally. Like, "Somewhat Obscure Celebrity" and "90's Pop Culture Reference" would be worth points toward how annoyingly successful your meme is. Yeah, it's still kind of obnoxious, but it's also leagues better than "Pokemon, but with internet catchphrases" in my opinion.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

Toffile posted:

Is it me or does the site for his daughter have a prominent link to DIVORCE110.NET on it?

It does, and its a broken link which just makes it even better.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
That Cali Flick dude has got to have mental issues. That site is all kinds of wtf.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Cyril Sneer posted:

That Cali Flick dude has got to have mental issues. That site is all kinds of wtf.

I think he's just an idiot. I've worked with people as stupid as him before.

My favorite project is his Price Differ app. The basic idea is to write down the price of every single item in every single store you enter so that you compare them later.

http://www.gregflick.net/iPhone2.htm

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

The Human Crouton posted:

My favorite project is his Price Differ app. The basic idea is to write down the price of every single item in every single store you enter so that you compare them later.

It goes by $5 increments. Go forbid the same/similar product will be less than $5 difference somewhere else, how would you figure out which is cheapest?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

He's right in calling his business "Flick Entertainment" because that page is loving hilarious.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

He's right in calling his business "Flick Entertainment" because that page is loving hilarious.

You mean you wouldn't spend your good money on " DRINKS A-LOT..............track your establishments and the drinks which you pay a lot of money for."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
He's like the wacky character in a sitcom who always has some get rich quick scheme except he lacks their charisma, originality and wit. It's like a spergier version of Kramer.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He's like the wacky character in a sitcom who always has some get rich quick scheme except he lacks their charisma, originality and wit. It's like a spergier version of Kramer.

I never even thought of Kramer, my mind instantly went to Taco from The League. But not charismatic or a cool stoner, just some idiot on the internet.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Sid Vicious posted:

I never even thought of Kramer, my mind instantly went to Taco from The League. But not charismatic or a cool stoner, just some idiot on the internet.

Or Eddy from Ed, Edd & Eddy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

All the other projects on both pages are the exact same loving app. How can that be your favorite? :haw:

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

I try not to criticize people like this too much.
He's obviously pretty motivated to do something he likes, and at least keeps at it. He just seems to lack any usable skill-set that would enable him to be successful at it.

I, on the other hand, am proficient with a pretty marketable skill, but choose to be mediocre at it. Which is far worse.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

The entire string of SEO keywords is not HTML text, but it's in a PNG image :psyboom:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Zaphod42 posted:

All the other projects on both pages are the exact same loving app. How can that be your favorite? :haw:

It's even more ridiculous because it's not compatible with free barcode scanning comparison shopping apps that already exist, like ShopSavvy for instance.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

polynominal-c posted:

The entire string of SEO keywords is not HTML text, but it's in a PNG image :psyboom:

Wait, what?

I don't know what to say...it's like he didn't even try to Google "SEO" to get even the most basic tips.

Web Development Sperging:
He pumped his own webpage full of keyword meta-tags, including the phrase "man cave smells" and even put a bunch in a visible <p> on the bottom of the page. He does not use any stylesheets, all of the styling is done in the object tags. He is using a ton of deprecated tags. He is using FrontPage V6.0, software that is more than a decade old. He is using inches as his styling increments, yet he uses pixels for the absolute positioning of his images (Why are they all absolute positioned? WHY?!)

What he really needs is a Kickstarter to raise money to get a Lynda.com account to watch web development tutorials or maybe an OST course.

e: just realized, those beaver shirts could all just be vagina jokes. Terrible vagina jokes.

Machai has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Apr 26, 2013

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
In the first app screenshot - "Drinks A-Lot" - are "Rating" and "Drink" switched or am i the stupid one?

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

RabbitWizard posted:

In the first app screenshot - "Drinks A-Lot" - are "Rating" and "Drink" switched or am i the stupid one?

You're right. But I guess nobody has ever bought this killer app yet...

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

It looks like he did a "How to make an iPhone scrolling wheel widget" tutorial and turned that into 7 apps

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

Me in Reverse posted:

It looks like he did a "How to make an iPhone scrolling wheel widget" tutorial and turned that into 7 apps

I'm sure he didn't even do the tutorial, just found the APK or whatever its called for IOS and edited it. Looking at that website I can't see him even following the most basic of tutorials on coding.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This could either turn out amazingly awful or just plain amazing but the concept behind it is inspired:

Christopher Walken Rex

quote:

I am going to build a roughly thirteen foot tall tyrannosaurus with Christopher Walken's head. I have experience in building and design for plays.

I have always been interested in artistic pursuits. I was inspired to design and build this piece after watching the movie Queen of Versailles. I saw how rich those kids were, and their lack of creation with all that money. I decided if I could get that much money I would make something great. The Walken Rex was originally thought of by a friend of mine, we are not completely sure where he got the idea from, but it seemed like the perfect thing to build

Make sure you check out his sketches in the 'gallery' tab. :haw:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Well, looks like I'm finally signing up to donate to Indiegogo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

Well, looks like I'm finally signing up to donate to Indiegogo