Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I've never had any issue with R being to the left of 1st, it's going through the forward gears that's rough. I think if you're accidentally shifting into R you're probably gripping the knob too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Speaking of shifters.. I wanna get an MGW for my 13 GT. How big of a pain in the rear end is getting to the stuff under the car with ramps or jack stands? Maybe take it to a shop instead?

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

clutchpuck posted:

I know, different car and everything, but my '00 GT clunked going from 1 to 2 and sometimes locked me out of a gear unless I clutched it in neutral... until I had the gearbox oil changed out. With fresh, fancy fluid it shifts like warm butter.

Thanks for this, I've been thinking about replacing the clutch or synchros or something on my '98 because I've had this problem forever. Now I'm gonna just try this!

amp281
Dec 31, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My 06 was locked out of 2nd gear for a month. It was really annoying. I had a shop install a steeda tri-ax and now it shifts perfectly. I still need to go 1st then reverse when I want to go into reverse gear.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pushing the actual gear lever down to shift into reverse sounds like a terrible method. Two out of the three manual cars I've owned ('05 Focus and '11 Forte5) have a ring around the shift knob that you have to pull up to be able to engage reverse. It's always worked a lot better than my old 5-speed Wrangler (which felt like you were shifting diagonally into 6.5th gear to engage reverse).

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Speaking of shifters.. I wanna get an MGW for my 13 GT. How big of a pain in the rear end is getting to the stuff under the car with ramps or jack stands? Maybe take it to a shop instead?

I'm going to get an MGW as well. I have the barton one post bracket already but I want to just get rid of the whole POS shifter. The youtube videos I've watched on the install seem relatively straight forward, but honestly I'm not really interested in screwing with it for hours and I'd just rather pay the shop to put it in.

Edit: however I did install my one-post bracket and I did it with ramps on the back wheels. It's better to have a friend and a lift maybe because it was a real bitch getting it around the driveshaft -- you just don't have a lot of room to work with there.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I can't find a reliable answer for this one.

The Coyote family of engines is less wide than the Modular but the engine mounts are interchangeable somehow, or are close?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd bet the width difference is more at the top-end than the block.

These aftermarket mounts claim compatiblity with both 4.6 and 5.0 '05+ Mustangs, so perhaps the mount is the same but the chassis was modified? Which seems even less likely...

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

If the mounts on the block are the same I am going to be very pleased.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Get the June issue of Hot Rod. There's a big section on Coyote engine swaps that has info on the other mod motors and stuff too. I think it said the mounts are the same.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I might have to look into that.

Ireneo Funes
Feb 29, 2008

Hi, all. I'm looking to ditch my 1966 coupe's straight-six for something with a little more oomph. I'd like a rebuilt 289 or something, but a quick search on google just gives me shady-looking websites. Can anyone point me to a reputable place? I'd rather not deal with eBay and classifieds or the like as I'm pretty paranoid about shelling out so much cash to Some Forum Guy.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

AWWNAW posted:

I've never had any issue with R being to the left of 1st, it's going through the forward gears that's rough. I think if you're accidentally shifting into R you're probably gripping the knob too hard.

It's due to the spring lockout mechanism being extremely weak. If I rest my hand on the shifter, I can feel it sink. If you have a (bad) habit of palming the gear shifter like I do, it's pretty easy to do.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
The reason why mod motors will never be that big for swapping isnt weight or cost cause theyre about the cheapest 600+HP motor you can build. Theyre freakin MASSIVE compared to their LS counterparts and with aluminum block truck motors becoming more common its simply way way way easier to fit an LS motor and have 5.3L than a 4.6 mod motor.

Ireneo Funes posted:

Hi, all. I'm looking to ditch my 1966 coupe's straight-six for something with a little more oomph. I'd like a rebuilt 289 or something, but a quick search on google just gives me shady-looking websites. Can anyone point me to a reputable place? I'd rather not deal with eBay and classifieds or the like as I'm pretty paranoid about shelling out so much cash to Some Forum Guy.

Roller (1985+) 302 long block is probably what you want.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6007-x302?seid=srese1&gclid=CN3smtXK5rYCFWJqMgodjGsAiQ

Here you go straight from ford. You can't get a less sketchy ford 302 if you are paranoid.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6007-x302?seid=srese1&gclid=CN3smtXK5rYCFWJqMgodjGsAiQ

Here you go straight from ford. You can't get a less sketchy ford 302 if you are paranoid.

Glanced at the price and thought, kinda pricey. Reading what you actually get with it through it really isn't. Doing that with a JY motor, all new parts and machine work wouldnt save you much.

By the way for your 66 coupe, I dont know for sure but I thought I read that the straight 6 and 302 have diff K members, you should double check on that.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Lowclock posted:

Get the June issue of Hot Rod. There's a big section on Coyote engine swaps that has info on the other mod motors and stuff too. I think it said the mounts are the same.

Ordered! $8.99 for the issue shipped to the shop. Not bad.

Ireneo Funes
Feb 29, 2008

Thanks for all the suggestions. The 302 from Summit seems pretty promising, maybe even more than I expected as far as the performance numbers are concerned. I've had this car for a long time (drove it daily in high school and parked it when I went to college), but this will be the first time I've even contemplated such a major modification. Needless to say I'll probably be visiting this thread pretty often once I inevitably gently caress up something under the hood.

amp281
Dec 31, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Other option is a 351w or a 351c.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Don't forget to upgrade the brakes.

amp281
Dec 31, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ultimateforce posted:

I can't find a reliable answer for this one.

The Coyote family of engines is less wide than the Modular but the engine mounts are interchangeable somehow, or are close?

Lito on s197 forum swapped a coyote into a 3v s197. I think he used stock mounts... I could be wrong.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

amp281 posted:

I am swapping out the 302 in my STANG to a 351w. 351w is the way to go, hands down.

amp281
Dec 31, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ultimateforce posted:

I am swapping out the 302 in my STANG to a 351w. 351w is the way to go, hands down.

I agree, 302 is too small.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tide posted:

It's due to the spring lockout mechanism being extremely weak. If I rest my hand on the shifter, I can feel it sink. If you have a (bad) habit of palming the gear shifter like I do, it's pretty easy to do.

I've experienced this on Mustangs I've driven, too. Would it be possible to put a stiffer spring in to prevent that?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ultimateforce posted:

I am swapping my STANG to a 351w. 351w is the way to go, hands down.

I liked how my dad's 351C with all sorts of Edelbrock goodies sounded and pulled up top.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

I liked how my dad's 351C with all sorts of Edelbrock goodies sounded and pulled up top.

If it could rev its tits off, then it's a 4V motor, with inlet channels in the head so big it would swallow a golf ball.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

amp281 posted:

351C sucks, is pointless these days. If we lived in 1982 itd be a different story but we dont. Will a 351W clear the 66, 6 cyl hood? Do you care if you need a new hood? Roller 351Ws arent easy to come by and they certainly are much more expensive from summit than that 302...which would be somewhere in the range of 2-2.5x more power than your car currently has. Also if your rbakes are anything like my friends 66s, for the love of good get them sorted out first.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

You Am I posted:

If it could rev its tits off, then it's a 4V motor, with inlet channels in the head so big it would swallow a golf ball.

4V, roller converted, yeah it spun up pretty nice :D

Course it was also the motor that came with his Eliminator, so I'm a little partial to the Cleveland.

Ireneo Funes
Feb 29, 2008

Yea, I'm not too sure a 351 is right for me. I want to be able to drive it daily again and a motor like that just seems like overkill. Plus, I like my neighbors.

Lord Gaga posted:

351C sucks, is pointless these days. If we lived in 1982 itd be a different story but we dont. Will a 351W clear the 66, 6 cyl hood? Do you care if you need a new hood? Roller 351Ws arent easy to come by and they certainly are much more expensive from summit than that 302...which would be somewhere in the range of 2-2.5x more power than your car currently has. Also if your rbakes are anything like my friends 66s, for the love of good get them sorted out first.

I can't begin to count the number of times I've almost died in this car because of its horrible brakes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How are you going to control it? EFI or carb?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I love how this is going from a "little more oomph" to a built 351w. Next stop is a turbocharged 460. It'll fit, too. :patriot:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Devyl posted:

I love how this is going from a "little more oomph" to a built 351w. Next stop is a turbocharged 460. It'll fit, too. :patriot:

If you are going to do a 302 you might as well do a 351w. That's my logic on the Windsor series, your mileage may vary.

Ireneo Funes
Feb 29, 2008

All I'm looking for is something that'll chirp the tires when i want and won't scream like hell when I get on the highway.

kimbo305 posted:

How are you going to control it? EFI or carb?

I'd like to stay with a carb as that's what I'm most familiar with. There's a single (!) barrel on it right now, so I'm obviously going to need to upgrade it as well. I wouldn't be opposed to EFI if it were cheaper/easier to maintain/whatever.

Ireneo Funes fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 26, 2013

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

ultimateforce posted:

If you are going to do a 302 you might as well do a 351w. That's my logic on the Windsor series, your mileage may vary.

Some pretty bad logic there

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

More displacement is better than less.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ireneo Funes posted:

All I'm looking for is something that'll chirp the tires when i want and won't scream like hell when I get on the highway.

Bolded part: This has everything to do with your transmission and rear end gear / tire size selection. If you get an overdrive gearbox to go with the V8, you'll be able to lope along the freeways pretty nicely (hell, if you have something stupid like 2.73 gears in there already, you would even without overdrive).

Filthy Luker
Aug 4, 2002
I saw somebody wearing this exact jacket. On a Subway! In :canada:

Some people have no fashion sense.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Welp I guess I know what I am getting buried in.

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012
I saw those for sale at the dealership parts counter when I went to pick up my hood bolt.

Also, my mother got me a mustang hoodie for xmas last year. I wear it because it's a really comfortable hoody but I feel really dumb driving in a mustang with a hoody that says mustang on it drinking coffee from my stainless steel mustang engraved mug (also a gift from mom :shobon:)

It's like last year at the Megadeth show when Dave comes out wearing a Megadeth shirt. We get it, you're in Megadeth. We get it, you drive a Mustang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Filthy Luker posted:

I saw somebody wearing this exact jacket. On a Subway! In :canada:

Some people have no fashion sense.

Someone will probably get gifted this in AI:SS this year.