Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
In age of wushu we had a J4G try to join the guild. We declined.

He then went off, joined a guild, worked his way into leadership within one week, kicked everyone out of the guild, and disbanded the guild. That guild lost their land.

He is now in the GoonTangClan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

He then went off, joined a guild, worked his way into leadership within one week, kicked everyone out of the guild, and disbanded the guild. That guild lost their land.

This is awesome.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Well, that beats making an introductory post in FYAD.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Should have rejected him on principle.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Phobophilia posted:

Having principles isn't very goony. :colbert:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Phobophilia posted:

"Go forth and harvest tears" is basically the foremost principle of goon groups in MMOs.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's one thing to burn in-game money for naught. It's another to burn your bridges and sacrifice your social standings to others, just to get rejected anyway. He could have become king of a dead kingdom.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Sounds like he has the skills to harvest more tears without being Goon allied, but he certainly has proven his worth. Now to promote him to leadership and...

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Phobophilia posted:

It's one thing to burn in-game money for naught. It's another to burn your bridges and sacrifice your social standings to others, just to get rejected anyway. He could have become king of a dead kingdom.

I want him to keep infiltrating what ever guild owns that land so he can truly have his dead kingdom.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

He's everything a goon clan member should be.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If this turns out to be just stage one in an extreme long-con to take down GoonTangClan it will be even better.

And any goon who bitched about it should be kicked out on principle :colbert:

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Jabor posted:

That's the entire point of the game.

So based on everything else I've heard about it ... maybe, and it depends on the server?

I play on a server with relatively loose rules, generally reasonable admins, and forgiving people. Sometimes I make mistakes, sometimes a fellow Innocent loses his head... or sometimes I'm Traitor, and everybody dies.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I think one of the big problems with TTT is that there's no real objective other than hunting traitors/innocents. In other games in the same 'genre' like the Ship and SS13 there's tons of other stuff you need to be doing, which encourages people to break up and gives traitors opportunities to catch people away from the main group. In TTT if the map doesn't offer anything interesting you just get a deathball of innocents running around with no way to kill any of them.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

SKYMALL SCRILLA posted:

I've never actually played EQ but this is probably one of the funniest things I've ever read about it.

http://www.notaddicted.com/fansythefamous.php

I used to play on his server. I think I remember him charming me once or twice into the PoD on a lowbie ult. Dude was hilarious as hell but man did people ever get angry at him.

Haha I Found it:
[Thu Jun 06 03:07:34 2002] Depputy has been slain by Priest of Discord!

That was me.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 27, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
How could you guys let a flithy spy into your guild. You need a lot more practice at these sorts of shenanigans.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
It's almost as if they're not taking their janky Chinese online grief toolkit seriously.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

It's almost as if they're not taking their janky Chinese online grief toolkit seriously.

We take vomiting wine on people extremely seriously :colbert:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Fil5000 posted:

It's amazing how many Eve goons I've told about Wushu and how they're all trying to spergy min/max the hell out of the game, while I run around yanking people off of cliffs on my Royal Guard main, or spewing alcohol on people on my Beggar alt.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Zasraik posted:

Goons were called to do some roadwork today in Chengdu. Brasil rioted because of poor sign translation. Here are some hastily taken screenshots.

Many bad goods were had today.

The guys jumping across the rooftops are Brasil.

The pennants you can see indicate people flagged as Bandits. You can't get flagged while in a city, but if you're flagged you can attack carts anywhere, even just after they spawn. This makes people Very Angry.

We are now burning their house down. They're mad enough that they don't bother getting the bucket quest so they get infamy every time they kill one of us. We've put three or four of them in jail already.

Shalhavet fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 27, 2013

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

After participating in a raid on Brasil's base Copacabana comrade Zasraik gets thrown in prison with other bounties claimed by goons. I don't know what they're saying, but I'm glad they're saying it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

AXE COP posted:

I think one of the big problems with TTT is that there's no real objective other than hunting traitors/innocents. In other games in the same 'genre' like the Ship and SS13 there's tons of other stuff you need to be doing, which encourages people to break up and gives traitors opportunities to catch people away from the main group. In TTT if the map doesn't offer anything interesting you just get a deathball of innocents running around with no way to kill any of them.

One of the better maps is based on the movie "The Thing." The traitor has the ability to automatically win by assembling a bunch of items from around the map. It also has traitor detector but innocent traitors need to fuel it by collecting a limited number of charges scattered around the map. The traitor can also sabotage it causing it to automatically kill the next person to get tested. I think there's a way to pump poison gas into the tester room as well. Basically the traitor can easily win if people all hang out in one room together so you see a lot more people spreading out and gathering items. (this also adds a fun element since you can't hold an item and a gun at the same time. )

Maps with testers are usually pretty good as long as they have some gimmick. Some maps only let them be used a limited number of times, others have nearby traps that make getting to them risky. One map can only test 3 people at once and doesn't tell you which is the traitor. Some also have instant kill buttons that kill whoever is trapped inside. This adds a nice element where you have nothing to hide but you still won't jump in the tester because you don't trust the other guy.

Whoever mentioned starting a server before, please make a laid back one with no extra bullshit and a good map rotation.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Whoever mentioned starting a server before, please make a laid back one with no extra bullshit and a good map rotation.
For real, just link me a guide and a good map rotation and I'll turn it on and leave it there for a few months at least. I'd probably just add in a voteban plugin (if that's possible) so you guys could send someone into time-out and then laugh every time someone submitted a griefing report.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
TTT comes with gmod so I think you just have to follow the (awfully written) instructions here. No idea what maps are good though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

That's a Windows setup guide, my colo server is running Gentoo. From experience I know that the setup process for srcds is way way way different in Linux. Any help from that angle?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Coolguye posted:

That's a Windows setup guide, my colo server is running Gentoo. From experience I know that the setup process for srcds is way way way different in Linux. Any help from that angle?

Let me talk to the guy who maintains the Gmod servers for Team Interrobang and I'll see if they can't give me a rough Linux guide.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

AXE COP posted:

I just had a look at TTT for the first time and figured this was exactly how it would be played. All the innocents stay in a group together. Either the only people missing are traitors or they are amongst the innocents and have no way of killing them without immediately being revealed.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Dreggon posted:

I would normally consider this logically intuitive, but I have to ask: Are Traitors actually allowed to kill people?
One time as a near-death and known traitor I talked my traitor buddy into killing me so my inevitable death would give him a cover nobody would question. He went on to fool/dunk everyone and win us the round with 9 kills, and got kicked at the end of it for killing an ally.

Coolguye posted:

For real, just link me a guide and a good map rotation and I'll turn it on and leave it there for a few months at least. I'd probably just add in a voteban plugin (if that's possible) so you guys could send someone into time-out and then laugh every time someone submitted a griefing report.
1. Set it up
2. Give it a short rotation of maps that are both good and griefable but not to the extent it'll crash the server. Get the latest versions of these maps: ttt_trappycottage, ttt_terrortrainb2, ttt_whitehouse, ttt_alt_borders, ttt_homegrown, de_chateau, ttt_67thway.
3. The only automatic punishment should be a half-hour ban if karma drops below 700. Make a voteban command anyone can use but have it need a ridiculously high majority so votes will never pass. Its purpose will be to identify kids who spam it as grief targets.
4. make me admin :madmax:
5. Kick for saying RDM. Kick for "Admin, can I get a slay on soandso for RDMing" or any backseat moderating thereof.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv It's commonly known as the "Jihad Bomb", and older versions of the weapon also made the traitor who set it off flail their arms above their heads and shout allahallahallahallah in a soprano. I don't know how any TTT server can enforce "no racism" rules with a straight face.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv Oh poo poo I'd forgotten about that, good one.

tomanton fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 28, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

nexus6 posted:

I just had a look at TTT for the first time and figured this was exactly how it would be played. All the innocents stay in a group together. Either the only people missing are traitors or they are amongst the innocents and have no way of killing them without immediately being revealed.
Traitors have an item that blows themselves up and kills anyone around them.
Standing in a big group is a bad idea.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
5. Kick for saying RDM

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

AXE COP posted:

Speaking of The Ship, and I apologize for getting off track in here, are people still playing that? It feels like it'd be fun, like an SS13 with less capability but way less jank.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Vib Rib posted:

Traitors have an item that blows themselves up and kills anyone around them.
Standing in a big group is a bad idea.

That's actually a custom item, not every server has it. But if any server does it's a goon one. Having to rely on C4 or getting lucky with a H.U.G.E. rampage kind of sucks.

Other items to add: hidden bomb (stick it to a player, detonate at your leisure), Death Station (detectives can drop health stations which you can use to gradually restore your health. a Death Station looks and is tagged as a health station, but instantly kills anyone who tries to use it), Headcrab Launcher (you know those parts of HL2 where the headcrab canisters would crash down from the sky? Yeah.)

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of The Ship, and I apologize for getting off track in here, are people still playing that? It feels like it'd be fun, like an SS13 with less capability but way less jank.
It still has a popular following in spite of horrific hit detection and the now-defunct developers' best efforts to ruin it, your best bet is to bait people into getting themselves locked up. Also play with friends so that everyone can pool their money so the most obnoxious, destructive and terrible player among you can stuff it all in his bank account to win games at will.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

The Ship actually has the opposite problem, in that you know EVERYBODY you are looking at is a killer. The only question is if they want to kill you yet or not.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

tomanton posted:

One time as a near-death and known traitor I talked my traitor buddy into killing me so my inevitable death would give him a cover nobody would question. He went on to fool/dunk everyone and win us the round with 9 kills, and got kicked at the end of it for killing an ally.

That is such unbelievable amounts of bullshit that they kicked him for that - throwing a fellow traitor who's in a bad spot under the bus is one of the most classic and beautiful tactics in a game of Mafia, to the point that I've won games of Mafia because I said "Hey, woah now, you called him being a traitor WAY too confidently. Guys, lynch this fucker, he was just throwing his friend under the bus." and gotten it right.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Recently Planetside 2 has been host to some pretty good Goon trolling. Normally this isn't really the case, as excessive team killing can result in a player being weapons locked. However, through persistence and encountering the correct pubbie it's possible to make people hilariously mad. In this case those people are a group of self described SERIOUS TIER players called Nightmare Battalion.

This all started a few weeks ago when one of the Goons in the Earth's Special Forces [GOKU] outfit ran over a pubbie in his tank. This is a very common occurrence in Planetside 2, and really is nothing to bat an eyelid over. However, this dude absolutely flipped his poo poo for some reason.

Sard posted:

At this point he saw I was in the squad and switched to his mic for getting mad. I wish I'd had audacity recording.

Ironically, Nathual, the pubbie in question, ran over a few people in his own tank ten minutes later.

Perhaps more amazingly, he has almost exclusively killed his own team. The below image shows his top 10 most killed players. Only one of them isn't his own teammates. Now, when I was looking at this image for the first time I suspected that this guy was trolling. Then I realized that he had 25 days played, but joined in mid February. That's something like 9 hours a day, every day.

At some point Nathual contacted Sard and spoke to him again through the in game voice chat, and Sard managed to get audacity running in time. This is probably one of the funniest things I've ever heard, because oh my god Nathual tries to sound like a massive badass.

https://soundcloud.com/sard-2/nathualunhappy

Walk away, fade into the background. I don't even want to hear you fart on the wind from a hundred kilometers out.

So Sard took it upon himself to join their official forums and check out what Nightmare Battalion had to say about us. Please keep in mind that Low Tax Low Effort and Earth's Special Forces are both goon outfits. It seems like this guy has had some run ins with goons in the past.

Please keep in mind for the above image that Nightmare Battalion is really, really bad at Planetside 2, and that LWTX and GOKU are arguably the best outfits on the server.

Days go by, until Nathual started asking through the in game chat for the leader of GOKU. There isn't one, so I took it upon myself to talk to him. Apparantly the Nightmare Battalion council of autism was meeting, and wanted to discuss Sard's case to get him kicked out or something. Because I'm a massive failure of a human being I wasn't able to record this conversation, but what came next pretty much eclipsed it. I mentioned that I would have to speak with my outfit's disciplinary officer, and forwarded the Nightmare Battalion leadership off to an EVE scammer.

https://soundcloud.com/sard-2/judge-jack-gates

It really starts 1 minute in, picks up at about 11:30, and concludes with Sard's shocking punishment at 25:50. I think that they figured out that they were being recorded at some point because they kept on accidentally sending me tells talking about it. The other day we ran into them again and murdered a bunch of them and Nathual at the same time, but he didn't send us any tells, so they probably finally realized that we were goons too.

Other fun happenings in Planetside 2 include us getting over 1000 people kicked from a white supremacist's outfit, tricking a good portion of our server into believing in a fictional conspiracy, and something way more hilarious that I can't talk about right now.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Giggily posted:

tricking a good portion of our server into believing in a fictional conspiracy

Someone really needs to write up a good post about ATRA. I forget if that was the subject TartanTory was working on but I do know he's working on a great post for this thread.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
Please post more. I love hearing people flip out about space shootgames.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I put up a server for The Ship for a few months about 2 years ago. It took me 7 hours to set up because the DLLs you download refer to an old/defunct master server that Valve no longer uses. This is not documented anywhere, I just tripped across it when blindly paging through the DLLs in a text viewer. I just saw what looked like an IP address, googled it, and that's what got me my hit.

So to fix the server, I had to edit a DLL file with god damned VIM to make the loving thing query the correct master server so it could list itself.

To say the developers don't care about it is the understatement of the century.

MisterOblivious posted:

5. Kick for saying RDM

IIRC there's a banned word list you can play with that would be good for that.

Also when I get this thing up NOBODY is going to be admin for a while, at least 2 months, while I just watch the social experiment play out. I'll probably even put up an admin contact email that spams itself up there at the start of every round or something, purely to rake in the tears. It'll be like my days back infiltrating people on stupid MMOs, only this time I don't have to be paying attention to a stupid game for 3+ hours a day for months on end to get a good story.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 28, 2013

Twenty Drunk Apes
Jun 17, 2012

The mane you say? Please note that this is a pity avatar because even bronies feel sorry for this poster so :effort:.

Giggily posted:

getting over 1000 people kicked from a white supremacist's outfit

Please give us the details of this. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Giggily posted:

https://soundcloud.com/sard-2/judge-jack-gates

It really starts 1 minute in, picks up at about 11:30, and concludes with Sard's shocking punishment at 25:50. I think that they figured out that they were being recorded at some point because they kept on accidentally sending me tells talking about it. The other day we ran into them again and murdered a bunch of them and Nathual at the same time, but he didn't send us any tells, so they probably finally realized that we were goons too.

Other fun happenings in Planetside 2 include us getting over 1000 people kicked from a white supremacist's outfit, tricking a good portion of our server into believing in a fictional conspiracy, and something way more hilarious that I can't talk about right now.

How did you guys manage to do this with a straight face? I completely lost it when you got a bit offended at the pubbie laughing at your Brony spiritualism. Definitely need to hear more stories!

• Locked thread