Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I don't know anything about how iOS handles open programs that are slated to upgrade, but for those who have been having issues with new versions, are you closing the app before updating or just switching away from it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

jivjov posted:

That fixed it for me for the last update, but the most recent one from yesterday required a reinstall for me.

I still have the iPad to update to the current version so I'll check and report if the same happens again when I get home from work.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

FreshFeesh posted:

I don't know anything about how iOS handles open programs that are slated to upgrade, but for those who have been having issues with new versions, are you closing the app before updating or just switching away from it?

My understanding is that an update will terminate the app if it's running in the background. That doesn't mean it disappears from the app switcher. The way to tell is if Awful opens to the top of the tab you set in the "First Tab" setting.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The new version just hangs at the background template and doesn't actually load anything - I'm on an iPhone 4s, latest version of iOS

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

EugeneJ posted:

The new version just hangs at the background template and doesn't actually load anything - I'm on an iPhone 4s, latest version of iOS

Same phone and OS and the update went fine for me.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mine took a long time to start up after today's update, like 30 seconds on an iPhone 5.

New reply icon is much better!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I deleted the app, reinstalled and now it's fine

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

smackfu posted:

Mine took a long time to start up after today's update, like 30 seconds on an iPhone 5.

New reply icon is much better!

I just got back and updated the iPad without closing it properly, and it took about 20 seconds after restarting it to pop up the bookmarks menu. This probably would've happened on the iPhone this morning, but I was too impatient to wait for it.

I'm on an iPad 2 and an iPhone 5, both on the latest OS ver.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
So, a bug: the bookmarks stops scrolling too soon, leaving the last bookmark half off-screen. Tis is both landscape and portrait, on the iPad (6.1.2) and the latest version of Awful.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Is it me or does swiping from the left to bring up the thread list amazingly loving aggravating now.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

golgo13sf posted:

Is it me or does swiping from the left to bring up the thread list amazingly loving aggravating now.

Thank you, I thought it was just me!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Noticed this happen in the gbs YouTube thread. In vertical orientation, follow a link to YouTube, go horizontal then back to vertical when returning to thread the title gets messed up.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

golgo13sf posted:

Oh lord yes, this bugs the poo poo out of me now.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
This thread had quite a few replies since the last time I checked it so apologies if this has been covered, but can someone tell me what order the PMs are listed in? It appears to be just random or something. Just reading one (even an already-read one) and going back to the list seems to reorder it. And the difference between read and unread ones is pretty subtle (or I'm real dumb; either is possible).

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Beelzebozo posted:

This thread had quite a few replies since the last time I checked it so apologies if this has been covered, but can someone tell me what order the PMs are listed in? It appears to be just random or something. Just reading one (even an already-read one) and going back to the list seems to reorder it. And the difference between read and unread ones is pretty subtle (or I'm real dumb; either is possible).

The current version has a bug where it's not correctly parsing the dates of PMs if your forum options are set a certain way. When you load the list, the app doesn't know the correct date and time for each PM, so they're listed out of order. Once you open a PM, the app gets the correct date and time and puts that PM in the right spot in the list.

This is fixed in the latest beta builds, but I'm not sure when the fix will be released. As a workaround until it's released, you can go to the forums options page and set the "Use 12 hour time format?" option to "no" and it will work correctly, or you can go and open every PM from within the app so that it can correctly parse the dates and times.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm not sure when the fix will be released.

Once it's approved by the App Store Review Team!

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Diabolik900 posted:

The current version has a bug where it's not correctly parsing the dates of PMs if your forum options are set a certain way. When you load the list, the app doesn't know the correct date and time for each PM, so they're listed out of order. Once you open a PM, the app gets the correct date and time and puts that PM in the right spot in the list.

This is fixed in the latest beta builds, but I'm not sure when the fix will be released. As a workaround until it's released, you can go to the forums options page and set the "Use 12 hour time format?" option to "no" and it will work correctly, or you can go and open every PM from within the app so that it can correctly parse the dates and times.

Interesting. Thanks for the reply!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Is there going to be a way to look at smilies? I'm a big dumb dumb and can't remember half the time. :saddowns:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bug: Full screen mode on the iPhone hasn't worked in months.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Last Chance posted:

Bug: Full screen mode on the iPhone hasn't worked in months.

Not a bug, was taken out awhile ago. Hopefully a natural fullscreen will happen down the road.

SaltLick posted:

Is there going to be a way to look at smilies? I'm a big dumb dumb and can't remember half the time. :saddowns:

There has been one in the works in git (I believe) it just hasn't gotten there yet. Priorities just don't have it that high.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Dave posted:

Hopefully a natural fullscreen will happen down the road.
What does this mean exactly? It was really handy for us short phone users. :saddowns:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

A situation where the interface hides itself as you scroll and reappears at the top / bottom.

As more features get made we'll probably grow out of having a tabbed navigation bar and move to a slide out like most apps use now for menus. Then you'll get that bottom 80 some pixels back. The title blue bar could then hide like instapaper does.

That kind of stuff though is just wayyyyyyy down the road.

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

The Dave posted:

As more features get made we'll probably grow out of having a tabbed navigation bar and move to a slide out like most apps use now for menus. Then you'll get that bottom 80 some pixels back. The title blue bar could then hide like instapaper does.

I can't tell you how many times I've come out of Facebook or Alien Blue and went to Awful and tried to pull from the left to get to a menu. I would love something like that, however far down the line it might be.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Take a look at GroupMe's universal app on iPhone. I like the way they do functionality sliding on that form factor. (On iPad everything is pretty much just visible in the default layout.)

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

So I got bored last night, had a play around and added Pocket support to Awful. However, it's only really useful for external links rather than thread views; Pocket doesn't seem to be able to log in to SA (even after I've supposedly saved the cookie under "Manage site subscriptions"), and to compound the issue, something about SA's "Sorry, you must be a registered forum member.." causes Pocket to crash at launch most of the time for me. It works great for any external links though - long-press context popup on inline links in thread views, or the action popup (nice new style Pokeyman!) in the browser view.

What's the consensus? Is this still a worthwhile feature if you can't save threads to read offline? Should I finally figure out Github and submit a pull request?

It's pretty unobtrusive - the menu items only show up if you've logged in through the settings view, so it won't be visible to anyone who doesn't want to use it. The login's handled by the Pocket API, so you don't have to enter your password in Awful.app - login switches you to the Pocket app to authorise Awful, then switches back once approved.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'd personally ONLY be interested for offsite links. I always assume if I want to read a thread later I can bookmark it

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I've requested that feature a couple times and that sounds like exactly how I would want to use it, except that I use Instapaper and not Pocket.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You chose wrong buddy

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Froist posted:

Pocket support ... for external links ... long-press context popup on inline links in thread views, or the action popup in the browser view.

Sounds fantastic! That's a feature request as old as the hills. Sending a pull request is the way to go, let me know if I can help!

And the new style action popup is The Dave's handiwork, so thank him!

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

What style element is used for the bookmark colors?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Terminal Entropy posted:

What style element is used for the bookmark colors?

The unread post count is a (lovely) custom view. I think it's called AwfulBadgeView in code.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I run into a couple problems that might very well be me and not the app, so maybe you guys have some solutions.

1. GIFs: so iPhones can send gifs via iMessage, but you cant attach them from Photos, they have to be copy/pasted into the message. Is there a quicker way to copy a gif while using the Awful app than my method: press/hold gif>press upper right arrow/square button>copy image url>open safari>paste url>hold/copy gif>paste in iMessage

I'd love if I could just hold on the gif and copy it straight from Awful.

2. YouTube videos: sometimes I want to favorite or share a YouTube video that's been posted but the only way I can see how to do that from the Awful app is to quote post> copy video ID>open safari>go to youtube>click on random video>paste ID into url

Is there an easier way to do this?

Hopefully I'm just being oblivious here.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

golgo13sf posted:

In case this got missed earlier - the new version has made the swiping a lot more sensitive and annoying.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Snowy posted:

2. YouTube videos: sometimes I want to favorite or share a YouTube video that's been posted but the only way I can see how to do that from the Awful app is to quote post> copy video ID>open safari>go to youtube>click on random video>paste ID into url

What about the sharing facilities on the actual YouTube site?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Snowy posted:

YouTube videos: sometimes I want to favorite or share a YouTube video that's been posted but the only way I can see how to do that from the Awful app is to quote post> copy video ID>open safari>go to youtube>click on random video>paste ID into url

Click the bottom right button if you're already in the Awful browser and open in safari or, if you're still in the thread view, hold down on the URL.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My PIN is 4826 posted:

What about the sharing facilities on the actual YouTube site?

Yeah that's what I'm trying to do it just seems to take quite a few steps to get there. You need either the video ID or URL, or just go search the title in YouTube, but sometimes videos are vaguely named and untagged, making that difficult.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Click the bottom right button if you're already in the Awful browser and open in safari or, if you're still in the thread view, hold down on the URL.

I have the latest version of Awful but there's no bottom right button for Safari when a video has started, and embedded videos in thread view don't let you hold down for URL.

I guess I should have said I'm talking about embedded videos, if that helps.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Snowy posted:

I guess I should have said I'm talking about embedded videos, if that helps.

Ah, I didn't realise that. I had that problem too so I just went in to the actual forum options page (on the web, not in Awful) and enabled converting all YT embeds into URLs.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Snowy posted:

Hopefully I'm just being oblivious here.

I think you've found the easiest way, but your implicit suggestion to make this easier is a good one!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thanks guys, I'm going to go with displaying URL instead. I guess my ideal solution would be to have a "open in YouTube app" button available when watching embedded videos.

Awful is great, thanks for the hard work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Snowy posted:

Thanks guys, I'm going to go with displaying URL instead. I guess my ideal solution would be to have a "open in YouTube app" button available when watching embedded videos.

Awful is great, thanks for the hard work!

Yeah, there is a vast inconsistency with Awful Browser re: Youtube links. And the links in profiles have no option, where I would prefer Awful Browser to handle all in-app links. If not possible, I will second a direct to the Yt app.

• Locked thread