Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Was Macca Beam the one that halved your money, or was that Hula of Misfortune? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The way they balance money in this will be interesting with Macca Beam back. In the earliest games you just got money for killing stuff like normal. Then in a few of the of the games that still had Magnetite fueling your demons you could exchange it for money or vice versa so you weren't really grinding much for money as Magnetite was so easy to build up. Persona 2 had that one guy that kept doing a move that would HALVE YOUR MONEY EACH TIME UUUGHHH (EDIT: Yeah this one was Hula of Misfortune, it didn't even tell you what was happening when it was done to you, SURPRISE!). Then in Nocturne they ditched Magnetite completely but money was actually a bit tough to come by in the early game. But then by the mid-point you never have to think about money again.

Either way it will be interesting to see how it's balanced here with Macca Beam back, as the main series games tend to have equipment matter less and less vs. what demons you have equipped anyway.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Booky posted:

Was Macca Beam the one that halved your money, or was that Hula of Misfortune? :ohdear:

That would be Hula. Macca beam takes off 20% of your total, I think.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Booky posted:

Yes.

Though honestly, Macca Beam being back... isn't really a big deal? It's a low-accuracy attack 2-3 enemies get. It's entirely possible to go through the game without even seeing, let alone ever being hit by. While we don't have any word if it'll be more prevalent than it's ever been, I can't imagine there will be macca beams around every corner, thirsting for your precious cash.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ChaosArgate posted:

That would be Hula. Macca beam takes off 20% of your total, I think.

Ohh. That seems like less of a threat then Hula, which I think never misses?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

It'll be in the last dungeon, but instead it'll deal damage to you equal to 20% of your Macca total.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

Kurtofan posted:

Shin Megami Tensei IV info:

One fan asked about Shin Megami Tensei lead roles always being male characters and if there’s a chance we could be seeing a female lead in the future. The possibility of a future female lead wasn’t ruled out, although different development team members seemed to have different feeling towards the idea. Some welcomed the possibility of there being a choice of gender, while others felt that Shin Megami Tensei games are better suited to male leads.

That's pretty disappointing, though I guess not surprising. It seems very simple to me to implement a meaningless gender choice, unless you're making the game super-reactive.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Mordecai posted:

That's pretty disappointing, though I guess not surprising. It seems very simple to me to implement a meaningless gender choice, unless you're making the game super-reactive.

I'm sure that SMT: if had a gender choice, but then it was never done again. :sigh:

Maybe the next next SMT will have a female Hero?

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
I dunno why making gender choice would be such a big deal when SMT protagonists don't have much of a personality to begin with and any meaningful interactions that establish their masculinity besides female demons hitting on them.

Also, having Macca Beam isn't that big a deal anyway. Never caused me any headaches in SJ.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Booky posted:

I'm sure that SMT: if had a gender choice, but then it was never done again. :sigh:

Truth be told, I found kind of hard picturing a High School Girl going trough a barrel wasteland recruiting demons and getting ready to kick god's rear end. Still, the female protagonist of P3P was a massive succes with the fandom so it would be dumb not making another female protagonist down the line.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Truth be told, I found kind of hard picturing a High School Girl going trough a barrel wasteland recruiting demons and getting ready to kick god's rear end. Still, the female protagonist of P3P was a massive succes with the fandom so it would be dumb not making another female protagonist down the line.

Look at this chump forgetting about Maya. :colbert:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Proto Cloud posted:

I dunno why making gender choice would be such a big deal when SMT protagonists don't have much of a personality to begin with and any meaningful interactions that establish their masculinity besides female demons hitting on them.

Also, having Macca Beam isn't that big a deal anyway. Never caused me any headaches in SJ.

Yeah, wouldn't they just need to add an option at the beginning and tweak the script?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Anyone can kick God's rear end if they're strong enough. :colbert:

Strange Quark posted:

Look at this chump forgetting about Maya. :colbert:

Maya breaks into buildings for her articles, so you know she's cool. :hfive:

She always seems to be forgotten in those group pictures, though...

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Booky posted:

Anyone can kick God's rear end if they're strong enough. :colbert:

Can't argue with that.

Is just that a female lead on a setting like Megaten is something so unusual that it would be odd at first. Or maybe I'm just dumb :v:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Literally the entire point of 95% of SMT protagonists is that they are bland and forgettable to the point where it drags the game down a bit. Seriously, most of them are so boring you usually won't even remember they exist. They would literally not have to change a single thing other than a sprite and maybe some pronouns if they wanted to give you the choice to be a girl in most SMT games.

So it's really loving hilarious to me that they think it wouldn't work.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The Heroine in SMT was pretty great. Not the main character, sure, but who cares when you're destroying everyone with Zio and Megido?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Dorroile posted:

Literally the entire point of 95% of SMT protagonists is that they are bland and forgettable to the point where it drags the game down a bit. Seriously, most of them are so boring you usually won't even remember they exist. They would literally not have to change a single thing other than a sprite and maybe some pronouns if they wanted to give you the choice to be a girl in most SMT games.

So it's really loving hilarious to me that they think it wouldn't work.

Yeah, I honestly don't get the logic. It's not like the protags speak anyways, would it really matter if they were a girl? :confused:

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
What is the general consensus on the DDS games? Is it accessible for SMT game newbies?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

quote:

There will be paid DLC. Atlus say that it won’t make you feel as though they’re just trying to make money, and will be worthwhile content.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this.

quote:

Lucifer will be making an appearance in Shin Megami Tensei IV. However, Louis Cyphre won’t be showing his face for now.

So... a Louis Cyphre subplot as DLC, then.

quote:

The three Jack brothers will also be making a reappearance, along with a new Jack Frost demon to the series.

Possibly... a Samurai Jack? :haw:

quote:

The “Macca Beam” used by the Preta enemy in Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey will be back to haunt players.

Of course. Because hurting us is how Atlus shows that it loves us.

quote:

Atlus hinted at a harder difficulty mode being included.

I shudder to think what this might mean.

Booky posted:

Yeah, I honestly don't get the logic. It's not like the protags speak anyways, would it really matter if they were a girl? :confused:

Instead of being hit on by hot female demons, you're hit on by creepy old man demons.

That'd probably be the extent of the differences right there. :v:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

W.T. Fits posted:

Instead of being hit on by hot female demons, you're hit on by creepy old man demons.

That'd probably be the extent of the differences right there. :v:

:stonk:

I would guess the Heroine would be a guy instead if the Hero was a girl?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Camaro83 posted:

What is the general consensus on the DDS games? Is it accessible for SMT game newbies?

I'd say they're a good entry point thanks to being easier than most of the games, although they're more traditional in terms of JRPG gameplay than the rest of the series, thanks to a lack of fusion/recruitment/what have you.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Mr. Jive posted:

I can't afford a Vita so I'm living P4 vicariously through the GiantBomb Endurance Run. They just busted out Kanji with his folding chair for the first time and I just had to scream to the world he's the coolest poo poo in the universe. Thank you and good night.

If you'd like to use him yourself, Playstation 2s go for sub-40 bucks these days. They won't be using much of him, I'm sorry to say.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Wait, Macca Beam was in Strange Journey? I do not remember that at all.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

King of Solomon posted:

Yep. On the Pretas.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

CottonWolf posted:

Yep. On the Pretas.

Guess it probably won't be a problem in SMT4 if it was so forgettable that I didn't realize it was in the game.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

King of Solomon posted:

I do. :( I had awful luck. All the preta were like Hah HAH! *points* *Macca beams*

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird they're taking out the Moon Phase system?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Aerofallosov posted:

I do. :( I had awful luck. All the preta were like Hah HAH! *points* *Macca beams*

How much money did you lose? :(

(Also, there's a discussion going on in the Atlus forums about gender, but I dunno if it's kosher here to link it.)

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird they're taking out the Moon Phase system?

I've always ignored it 90% of the time so it really doesn't bother me. The only time I ever took advantage of it was in Nocturne for bright/dark might boss beatdowns.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Not anymore you aren't. That's an incredibly weird decision. The phase of the moon affected so much, this will pretty critically change how demon negotiation works; probably in a good way, but I don't know.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Did they say why? Cause that does seem a little strange.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The less random bullshit I have to deal with to get my party, the better.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Honestly, Moon Phase didn't really have a huge impact in the grand scheme of things. Sure, there was some fusion stuff, but other than that, it was only particularly important at Full. There were the moon items in SMT1/Mystical Chests in Nocturne, I guess, and the Solar Noise prices in DDS1, but that's about it.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 28, 2013

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I suppose, but the less Magic Boxes I have to deal with, the better.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Booky posted:

SMT: NINE had a gender choice too and that one was in many ways a reboot of SMT1. Seems like something obvious to put in since the main character never says anything or is even really seen outside of a status screen portrait. :confused: Nintendo did a great job with the gender choice in the most recent Fire Emblem and those games even have tons of dialogue to take into account, so the response that it "wouldn't work" or whatever from them is pretty disappointing.

I'm not going to miss the moon system. In Nocturne I only ever really noticed it when I wanted to escape a battle at full, and fusion wise it just makes you run around waiting for the right phase (draining your Magnetite with each step of course in the older games). It's a cool idea but the best use of it was the cathedrals in Nocturne having different music when you could fuse a Fiend. No big loss.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 28, 2013

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Moon Phases were just another layer of arbitrary bullshit that usually forced you to walk in circles until you could do whatever the gently caress kinda dumb poo poo it is you had to do on a certain phase. I won't miss it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I sure hope the DLC is more substantial than just gaudy costumes.

e: Actually I kinda don't, because I really don't want to have to buy the "real" ending or whatever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

e: Actually I kinda don't, because I really don't want to have to buy the "real" ending or whatever.

You walk into the final room and confront Shin Kagatsuchiluciferyweh, then suddenly giant blue switch that says Law on it, a giant green switch that says Neutral on it, and a giant Red switch that says Chaos on it appear before you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I don't know why a high school girl going through the wasteland recruiting demons is any less plausible than a high school boy recruiting demons

Regardless, your party in SMT4 is magical samurai or whatever, so even that excuse doesn't hold weight.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Dorroile posted:

Moon Phases were just another layer of arbitrary bullshit that usually forced you to walk in circles until you could do whatever the gently caress kinda dumb poo poo it is you had to do on a certain phase. I won't miss it.

Like Magic Boxes in SMT2! Want the chance of getting a gem on the Full Moon? :shepface:

I don't even think it's guaranteed.

Neo Rasa posted:

SMT: NINE had a gender choice too and that one was in many ways a reboot of SMT1. Seems like something obvious to put in since the main character never says anything or is even really seen outside of a status screen portrait. :confused: Nintendo did a great job with the gender choice in the most recent Fire Emblem and those games even have tons of dialogue to take into account, so the response that it "wouldn't work" or whatever from them is pretty disappointing.

Yeah, it honestly just seems lazy. :sigh:

If male high schoolers can recruit demons, why can't females? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Most likely the business logc of: Not many women play our games so why would we spend resources making a female character choice??

Even though like everyone has said all you'd have to change is the way people refer to you and maybe a few other pieces of dialogue and a model but that's video games for ya.