Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dishman
Jul 2, 2007
Slimy Bastard
Just picked up a Biyang Baby Boom stereo reverb yesterday, and I'm impressed. I'd read that people were surprised at how solid it was (for chinese blah blah), and I gotta agree. Simple set up: blend and time pots, 3way switching between hall/spring/room, and the stereo A/B selector. I'm not playing stereo so I just keep it 'mono' although there is a distinct difference between switching to B when plugged into A, I don't know anything about stereo reverbs so this works fine. The spring reverb sounds good enough to me, rounds off my cutoff parts, room is a almost a slapback, hall is a strong echo - all three very doable with the right sound, though there is some low/mid loss but gently caress if it makes any difference outside of an Anal Studio Setup (I always run an EQ or a boost to back my poo poo up if necessary). Super fun to get screwed with the time maxed, especially behind a nasty overdrive- however it's not as screwable as the more expansive pedals obviously. Only downside is the pots fall down the bell curve at abt 9oclock if not cut altogether, so its tough to dial in a very subtle effect. Solid budget purchase in a pinch.

Also have a Hardwire Tube Overdrive that I rely on heavily (had to use it until I got an AC30). Sounds raunchy, very nicely dynamic with guitar volume. I pinched into another guy's Twin Reverb at a show several years ago, strat to overdrive to amp, and literally both following guitarists loved the crisp crunch so much they played with that same setup.

Got a couple more coming to me this week, will post trip reports!!!

Dishman fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

watt par posted:

Sounds like a voltage starved germanium fuzz.

I ordered an EHX Germanium OD immediately after seeing this post. Not the big fat muff one, the small one. Most of the example videos on youtube seem to involve guys who don't quite get the whole 60's fuzz appeal, or at least they haven't dialed those tones in. Think this pedal can get me at least somewhat close?

EDIT: I do have a Big Muff Pi that I can run into it, if that'll help.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 20, 2013

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dishman posted:

Just picked up a Biyang Baby Boom stereo reverb yesterday, and I'm impressed...

I beat one of these to hell back in my band days. It's the perfect little live reverb: it sounds pretty good, it's cheaper than any other decent reverbs on the market, and it's surprisingly durable. The only issue I had with it is that it distorts if you pump too powerful a signal through it.

I've replaced it with a SolidGoldFX Surf Rider for home use (because oh God that pedal is beautiful), but, if and when I ever get gigging again, I'll definitely dig out my Baby Boom.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I'm enjoying the iStomp I'm using as a reverb. It does stereo as well. How would you guys say that model stacks up to nonemulated versions?

moke
Mar 21, 2004

Hello,

I would like to be able to swell and mix some pedals with the dry signal of my guitar but I can only find the Pigtronix Keymaster, and that looks expensive and still needs an expression pedal.

Would a cheaper way of achieving the blending of the two signals be to get a Boss LS-2 and some sort of volume pedal, and then use the A+B mix setting on the LS-2 with the volume pedal at the end of the FX chain to change the mix? I guess I would put the dry guitar into the input, patch A to itself, and then the FX in B?

Thanks, hope this makes sense.

moke fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 22, 2013

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

moke posted:

Hello,

I would like to be able to swell and mix some pedals with the dry signal of my guitar but I can only find the Pigtronix Keymaster, and that looks expensive and still needs an expression pedal.

Would a cheaper way of achieving the blending of the two signals be to get a Boss LS-2 and some sort of volume pedal, and then use the A+B mix setting on the LS-2 with the volume pedal at the end of the FX chain to change the mix? I guess I would put the dry guitar into the input, patch A to itself, and then the FX in B?

Thanks, hope this makes sense.

It's totally possible, I do exactly that to fade in some extra wash sounds with a volume pedal after a reverb and delay.

This is where I learned it from: http://www.anchorstates.net/2010/02/tech-pedals-2nd-update.html

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What's the best reasonably priced wah around? My ZW44 destroys my tone and my original wah is pretty dull. I'm thinking of going with MXR's dual one. Made in U.S., good variety of sound, true bypass.

Second question. Maxon OD808 or TS9 30th anniversary? Both seem to be fantastic pedals and among the best od's I've heard. I'll be running using it with a strat and a peavey xxx combo to get some dirt.

I think my final current setup will be human -> guitar -> mxr wah -> future od -> fuzzrocious grey stache fuzz -> mxr carbon copy (coming Tuesday, woo!) -> amp. If anyone has a better idea id appreciate it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm interested in the Danelectro Free Speech, but I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews, mostly either very positive or very negative. Seems like most people complaining are having problems with distortion causing feedback, but I rarely play with more than little fuzz. Has anybody used one?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Manky posted:

I'm interested in the Danelectro Free Speech, but I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews, mostly either very positive or very negative. Seems like most people complaining are having problems with distortion causing feedback, but I rarely play with more than little fuzz. Has anybody used one?

Danelectro is a pretty lovely company. Their workmanship is pretty shoddy and their effects are pretty poo poo plus are practically stolen. Plus if you feel bad about giving money to corporations that fund anti-gay marriage than steer clear.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Oh, and I have used the free speech. It freaks out with any sort of fuzz, distortion, anything. Plus it breaks super super super easily.

Beleg
Oct 21, 2004
I play a nylon string guitar with a piezo. Recently I tried running it on a Marshall stack with just a bit of overdrive, and I love the sound. I don't have a Marshall amp, so do guys have any recommendations for an overdrive pedal that I can use for a nylon string? It's mainly for a boost-type tone with a bit of dirt to it on harder strums. I heard the old Boss Overdrive pedals are great for that but I've yet to get my hands on one.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Beleg posted:

I play a nylon string guitar with a piezo. Recently I tried running it on a Marshall stack with just a bit of overdrive, and I love the sound. I don't have a Marshall amp, so do guys have any recommendations for an overdrive pedal that I can use for a nylon string? It's mainly for a boost-type tone with a bit of dirt to it on harder strums. I heard the old Boss Overdrive pedals are great for that but I've yet to get my hands on one.

Tubescreamers and their relatives are very similar to old Boss Overdrive pedals. The Boss Blues Driver is also in the same vein and is highly regarded.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Maxon OD808 and Ibanez TS9 30th anniversary are the best two basic ODs around. If you want more control and true bypass check out the Way Huge Green Rhino. I just spent a lot of time trying to find the best ODs around and was going between these. Ended up with the Rhino. It can be dialed in as a slight boost, gritty overdrive, smooth overdrive, and anything in between. It's very dynamic and responsive to your picking style. It has my vote.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

A Digitech Bad Monkey is also not a bad pedal.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Those are all essentially tubescreamers though, the Boss BD2 is quite different.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

It's a huge price hike on an Ibanez or Boss pedal, but Zvex's first pedal release was the "Box of Rock" which has been tonally compared to the Marshall JTM45 stack, very Creamy, with an independent boost circuit to give it an extra push.

Now how this is going to sound on a piezo'd nylon is beyond me. My experience with acoustics and distortion has typically been something like WALLOFFEEDBACK. Your best bet is to work out a date with a reliable music store or a musician with more pedals than he's worth and just have a mad scientist day.

J Mascis plays an acoustic during his solo sets and has some sort of distortion unit that seems to work pretty well for him. Didn't get a good look at his feet, unfortunately, but it's something to look into.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 22, 2013

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Jeff Goldblum posted:

J Mascis plays an acoustic during his solo sets and has some sort of distortion unit that seems to work pretty well for him. Didn't get a good look at his feet, unfortunately, but it's something to look into.

That's ok, I'm sure he was looking at his feet enough for both of you :banjo:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Stravinsky posted:

Plus if you feel bad about giving money to corporations that fund anti-gay marriage than steer clear.

I have a fondness for Danelectro stuff - first guitar I learned to play was a secondhand U2 reissue - but that there is a real mojo-killer.

Dishman
Jul 2, 2007
Slimy Bastard

Stravinsky posted:

Danelectro ... giving money to corporations that fund anti-gay marriage than steer clear.

What the gently caress? What a bogus company.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Yeah and if you buy anything at Guitar Center you're funding Bane Capital so Mitt Romney can continue to wipe his rear end, under his holy undergarments of course, with hundred dollar bills.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Buy local, buy used

Or just build your own poo poo :frogc00l:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Yeah and if you buy anything at Guitar Center you're funding Bane Capital so Mitt Romney can continue to wipe his rear end, under his holy undergarments of course, with hundred dollar bills.

Musicians Friend too.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've noticed that Amazon is really stepping up with their music stuff. If you have prime it's absolutely lovely buying a guitar and getting free 2 day/$4 next day shipping. Return policy is killer too. The only reason I go to Musician's Friend anymore is for the decent deals sometimes.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I try to support local businesses and buy used as much as possible. That being said, it's so easy to get 12-30% off @ Guitar Center on any given day It's incredibly tempting.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

Gaspy Conana posted:

I ordered an EHX Germanium OD immediately after seeing this post. Not the big fat muff one, the small one. Most of the example videos on youtube seem to involve guys who don't quite get the whole 60's fuzz appeal, or at least they haven't dialed those tones in. Think this pedal can get me at least somewhat close?

EDIT: I do have a Big Muff Pi that I can run into it, if that'll help.

I also really love what i consider the classic 60's fuzz tone. To me, its squished down and compressed, and sounds awesome on the neck PU of a strat.

While not strictly a fuzz, I built a clone of this that has become my go-to 60's psychedelic OD when you push it really hard:

http://www.menatone.com/menatone_2012/Blue_Collar.html

It also handles the woman-tone using my LP as well. The demo on that page has him getting a lot of sounds out of it, but only a couple times does he go after the squishy fuzz sound that I use it for. See if you can find a shop that has this and try it out. Now, I did clone the MK1 version of the pedal and I did change a couple values when I cloned it to make it even more strat friendly, but the differences are subtle.

Beleg
Oct 21, 2004

Jeff Goldblum posted:

It's a huge price hike on an Ibanez or Boss pedal, but Zvex's first pedal release was the "Box of Rock" which has been tonally compared to the Marshall JTM45 stack, very Creamy, with an independent boost circuit to give it an extra push.

Now how this is going to sound on a piezo'd nylon is beyond me. My experience with acoustics and distortion has typically been something like WALLOFFEEDBACK. Your best bet is to work out a date with a reliable music store or a musician with more pedals than he's worth and just have a mad scientist day.

thanks for the recommendation. I've just heard the zvex woolly mammoth and super duper in action and now I feel like buying the cheap clones to try them out!

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Beleg posted:

thanks for the recommendation. I've just heard the zvex woolly mammoth and super duper in action and now I feel like buying the cheap clones to try them out!

I built a woolly mammoth clone a little while back. Be forewarned its more of a bass fuzz and with a guitar, its very very VERY thick and mean.

Not that that's a bad thing mind you . . .

Mammoth is insanely easy to clone too. Barely a dozen components and 4 pots. I think mine ran me about 8 bucks in parts including the enclosure. ZVEX still sells them for $350.

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2011/02/zvex-woolly-mammoth-vero.html

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I recently got a Jupiter Fuzz, made by Walrus Audio, and I'm in heaven.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of demos or reviews of it, and the ones that are up are cool but definitely don't show how versatile it is. It's very thick if you turn the fuzz up, it kind of has that classic sticky sound, but is still very responsive and natural. It's the first time I've found a tone knob on a pedal to be actually fun, it affects the sound in usable ways rather than just having a sweet spot. I haven't tried Walrus Audio's other pedals out, but they seem really cool.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

ricecult posted:

I recently got a Jupiter Fuzz, made by Walrus Audio, and I'm in heaven.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of demos or reviews of it, and the ones that are up are cool but definitely don't show how versatile it is. It's very thick if you turn the fuzz up, it kind of has that classic sticky sound, but is still very responsive and natural. It's the first time I've found a tone knob on a pedal to be actually fun, it affects the sound in usable ways rather than just having a sweet spot. I haven't tried Walrus Audio's other pedals out, but they seem really cool.

I have the Walrus Janus. I use it on my synth board. It's a fun little box.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Something effects shoppers may want to check out this week (auctions are ending April 28) is a bunch of pedals donated by various builders to benefit cancer research with 100% of the sales.

http://circuitstocurecancer.com/

Direct link to their ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/circuitstocurecancer/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

. . . just don't bid on the tap-a-delay. I want that!

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Is there an equivalent to the Line 6 Modulation Modeler (MM4) the same way that the Eventide Time Factor or Boss Gigadelay are equivalent (or better than) the Line 6 Delay Modeler?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Stayne Falls posted:

Is there an equivalent to the Line 6 Modulation Modeler (MM4) the same way that the Eventide Time Factor or Boss Gigadelay are equivalent (or better than) the Line 6 Delay Modeler?

eventide modfactor, Strymon Mobius

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Perfect, thank you!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Alright, I want a really good tuner that will last me for a long time. I have one of those simple and easy to use clip on snark tuners. It's great but I don't like putting things on my guitar. I'm considering a polytune or maybe a korg pitchblack. I heard bad things about the polytune online but after watching a few videos it looks very fast and accurate. My requirements are very fast, very accurate, works on bass and guitar. I'm not picky about if its a stomp box or stand alone plug in a tuner, just has to be quality.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Peterson Autostrobe if money's no object.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
I bought a Turbo Tuner after thinking long and hard about a Polytune, and it's been everything I've ever wanted a tuner to be.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Turbo Tuner
TC Electronic Polytune
BOSS TU-3 or TU-2 (used)

If you see see an eventide pitchfactor in your future, you can use that as well. It blows my TU-3 out of the water. Lightning fast.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
I have a Polytune and a Pitchblack. I pretty much use the Pitchblack all the time.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Turbo Tuner or :getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The turbo tuner is relaly great. The polytune isnt all that if you're not using it for its gimmick.