Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Giggily posted:

At some point Nathual contacted Sard and spoke to him again through the in game voice chat, and Sard managed to get audacity running in time. This is probably one of the funniest things I've ever heard, because oh my god Nathual tries to sound like a massive badass.

https://soundcloud.com/sard-2/nathualunhappy

Walk away, fade into the background. I don't even want to hear you fart on the wind from a hundred kilometers out.

Good loving lord that's amazing. Internet-tough-guy over voice chat is never not entertaining. :allears:

quote:

https://soundcloud.com/sard-2/judge-jack-gates

It really starts 1 minute in, picks up at about 11:30, and concludes with Sard's shocking punishment at 25:50. I think that they figured out that they were being recorded at some point because they kept on accidentally sending me tells talking about it. The other day we ran into them again and murdered a bunch of them and Nathual at the same time, but he didn't send us any tells, so they probably finally realized that we were goons too.

Other fun happenings in Planetside 2 include us getting over 1000 people kicked from a white supremacist's outfit, tricking a good portion of our server into believing in a fictional conspiracy, and something way more hilarious that I can't talk about right now.

Hahaha

"We have to go. Uhh our Platoon is calling us back..."

That took dedication, I have to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
The punishment fits the crime.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

A no-bullshit goon TTT server is a great idea. Maybe we could get that kick-a-pubby script from that one TF2 server? Basically it lets whitelists goons to use the kick function for use if an idiot child joins the server.

And please, don't put 67th way, rooftops and that one minecraft map into rotation. I'm working on a TTT map based on the Spy vs Spy videogame if you want that for the server.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I'm fine with 67th way, although matches on it do tend to be kind of repetitive so I'm seconding leaving it out. I have a personal vendetta against all minecraft gmod maps. And seriously who even enjoys rooftops?

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008
Speaking of TTT, I was playing on a chill server once (as in no RDM whiners) and got picked as Traitor. I spent most of the round just wandering around, looking for anyone alone. Then a traitor killed someone, pinned his victim to a wall right out in the open, and then was subsequently killed himself. Then I had a good idea.

I decided to hold an impromptu memorial service for the victim killed. I proclaimed the existence of the service over my mic, and a lot of people came to pay their respects, or probably just curious about how ridiculous it was. I gave a heartfelt eulogy for a couple of minutes as I watched more and more people coming to see what was going on, and I didn't even pause in my eulogy as I opened up my menu and bought a jihad bomb, primed it, and ran into the crowd of 10+ people who had gathered. Traitors won. :cool:

The best part was, no one got mad over it, not even my other terrorist buddy who got killed in the blast too. The dead-voice-chat was filled with laughs and cries of "I FUCKIN KNEW IT". Really wish I'd saved that server. :smith:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kegslayer posted:

How did you guys manage to do this with a straight face? I completely lost it when you got a bit offended at the pubbie laughing at your Brony spiritualism. Definitely need to hear more stories!

That wasn't me speaking to them. I did talk to them for a little bit, buy my recording software wasn't cooperating so that conversation is lost to the sands of time.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

YellerBill posted:

I'm fine with 67th way, although matches on it do tend to be kind of repetitive so I'm seconding leaving it out. I have a personal vendetta against all minecraft gmod maps. And seriously who even enjoys rooftops?

That one can really go both ways. Like half the map is just never used. I'm not a big fan of maps that have rooms for traitors to hide in.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Giggily posted:

Days go by, until Nathual started asking through the in game chat for the leader of GOKU. There isn't one, so I took it upon myself to talk to him. Apparantly the Nightmare Battalion council of autism was meeting, and wanted to discuss Sard's case to get him kicked out or something. Because I'm a massive failure of a human being I wasn't able to record this conversation, but what came next pretty much eclipsed it. I mentioned that I would have to speak with my outfit's disciplinary officer, and forwarded the Nightmare Battalion leadership off to an EVE scammer.

https://soundcloud.com/sard-2/judge-jack-gates

It really starts 1 minute in, picks up at about 11:30, and concludes with Sard's shocking punishment at 25:50. I think that they figured out that they were being recorded at some point because they kept on accidentally sending me tells talking about it. The other day we ran into them again and murdered a bunch of them and Nathual at the same time, but he didn't send us any tells, so they probably finally realized that we were goons too.

Wow, I'm amazed he was able to stay serious in the face of such overwhelming sperging.

"We taking "singing" (the whole trolling tactic) pretty seriously"

EDIT:

"His super saiyan title will be stripped, he will no longer be considered an "anime expert", he will no longer be able to participate in our daily anime council where we discuss things like (i forget which anime), i dont know if you've seen it. He won't be allowed into our brony club (most of us are bronys--we're very mature bronys, of course)"

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 28, 2013

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Dr_Amazing posted:

That one can really go both ways. Like half the map is just never used. I'm not a big fan of maps that have rooms for traitors to hide in.

Traitor rooms can go die in a fire. I enjoy hiding out on the farm in 67th way because no one ever goes there, so I just loudly announce that I will shoot anyone who approaches my farm under reasonable suspicion that they're a traitor. I then follow through, and the cries of RDM start rolling on in.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

YellerBill posted:

Traitor rooms can go die in a fire. I enjoy hiding out on the farm in 67th way because no one ever goes there, so I just loudly announce that I will shoot anyone who approaches my farm under reasonable suspicion that they're a traitor. I then follow through, and the cries of RDM start rolling on in.

"Get offa mah land" :bahgawd:

RPing a crazy redneck would be a good griefing gimmick.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
STAND YOUR GROUND LAW, I KNOW MY RIGHTS :bahgawd:

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

YellerBill posted:

Both traitor rooms and traitor detectors are terrible. Traitor rooms at least can be defused by a couple people camping by them and immediately shooting anyone who opens it, but traitor detectors completely ruin the game's dynamic. I've been on a server where admins ruled with an iron fist and made everyone go to the traitor detector at the beginning of the game, and whoever they noticed wasn't there was declared KOS. This server had like 30 people on it too, many of which seemed to be regulars by their tags. :psyduck: Servers where traitor detectors are demanded to be used are leaps and bounds worse than the strict "no rdm" ones.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I've tried two servers so far, both of them had people who I'm assuming from their voices were middle school aged boys whining about RDMing incessantly over voice chat. Where the gently caress are you guys finding good servers?

EDIT: Third try had multiple middle school sounding bronies, gently caress this, not worth the effort to troll.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 28, 2013

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

I've been on a server where admins ruled with an iron fist and made everyone go to the traitor detector at the beginning of the game, and whoever they noticed wasn't there was declared KOS.
So wait...wouldn't that turn the whole game into an elaborate RNG machine where all you do is load in and instantly determine who was randomly assigned as a traitor before hunting them downe? That seems absolutely pointless, like playing CTF and ruling that the Red-team must bring their flag to the Blue base at the beginning of the game.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
You can do stuff like toss a grenade into the (usually) crapped tester room, or set c4 outside it. Most good maps either limit the number of times it can be used or make it possible to destroy it.

67th way has a button the traitor can use to flood the only hallway to the tester room to drown people trying to get to it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Coolguye posted:

I put up a server for The Ship for a few months about 2 years ago. It took me 7 hours to set up because the DLLs you download refer to an old/defunct master server that Valve no longer uses. This is not documented anywhere, I just tripped across it when blindly paging through the DLLs in a text viewer. I just saw what looked like an IP address, googled it, and that's what got me my hit.

So to fix the server, I had to edit a DLL file with god damned VIM to make the loving thing query the correct master server so it could list itself.

To say the developers don't care about it is the understatement of the century.

IIRC there's a banned word list you can play with that would be good for that.

Also when I get this thing up NOBODY is going to be admin for a while, at least 2 months, while I just watch the social experiment play out. I'll probably even put up an admin contact email that spams itself up there at the start of every round or something, purely to rake in the tears. It'll be like my days back infiltrating people on stupid MMOs, only this time I don't have to be paying attention to a stupid game for 3+ hours a day for months on end to get a good story.

I would totally be down for this. Also put in some nice big maps so that people can actually sneak around.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-Troika- posted:

I would totally be down for this. Also put in some nice big maps so that people can actually sneak around.

But not too big. If the maps are enormous then everyone's just going to be blundering around alone and lost. Wait, what am I talking about? That would be awesome!

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Having spent time playing TTT in a non-griefing capacity, I'd say some of the best ways to get people mad are false accusations, not responding to "alive checks" until long after people assumed you were dead, and dropping grenades at people to make them think you're throwing one at them, which gets even funnier when it was something harmless like a smoke grenade or a discombobulator (physics grenade) in an empty hallway. I didn't have much trouble with finding good servers because at the time I just found one or two "good" servers and stuck with them. The worst those servers ever did was punish "unjustifiable RDM", nobody (with the exception of that guy) ever got really mad though, unless you killed them on their traitor round.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I've tried two servers so far, both of them had people who I'm assuming from their voices were middle school aged boys whining about RDMing incessantly over voice chat. Where the gently caress are you guys finding good servers?

EDIT: Third try had multiple middle school sounding bronies, gently caress this, not worth the effort to troll.

The general pool of players for TTT has gone even further down the toilet now that people like Seannaners and UberhaxorNova started doing videos for it, now you have all their 11-13 year-old viewers playing it. I remember going onto a server with some friends that had something crazy like 50 player slots. It had all those dumb donater gimmicks like custom trails and skins, which seem pretty counterproductive to the gamemode :psyduck:. It also used a lot of normal map loadouts and setups so almost everyone was unarmed. The weirdest part was that the server was actually populated.

The Droid fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 29, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The Droid posted:

The general pool of players for TTT has gone even further down the toilet now that people like Seannaners and UberhaxorNova started doing videos for it, now you have all their 11-13 year-old viewers playing it. I remember going onto a server with some friends that had something crazy like 50 player slots. It had all those dumb donater gimmicks like custom trails and skins, which seem pretty counterproductive to the gamemode :psyduck:. It also used a lot of normal map loadouts and setups so almost everyone was unarmed. The weirdest part was that the server was actually populated.

The best way that I've found to deal with this is to simply declare, loudly, that being prepubescent and using the voice chat is a traitorous offense. Gets 'em every time.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
The good thing about TTT's playerbase being so terrible is that it's really easy to find griefable targets. People will walk around with names like (BRONY)-flutter-dash and then wonder why you are murdering them every round.

Twenty Drunk Apes
Jun 17, 2012

The mane you say? Please note that this is a pity avatar because even bronies feel sorry for this poster so :effort:.

AXE COP posted:

The good thing about TTT's playerbase being so terrible is that it's really easy to find griefable targets. People will walk around with names like (BRONY)-flutter-dash and then wonder why you are murdering them every round.

Well with the whole current Steam thing of your in-game name being the same as your profile name, instead of being able to put in a different name like you could in the past, it's probably making things more miserable for bronies everywhere.

That's a good thing though.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

AXE COP posted:

They're also generally bad at the game so if you become a traitor odds are you'll destroy them easily, which gives you plenty of opportunity to smugly gloat without breaking any of their precious rules.
"Both of my traitor allies died at the start of the match and I still managed to kill all 11 of you with just a desert eagle and the rifle. :smug:"

I've also seen players (oftentimes highschoolers from the sounds of their voices) get REALLY mad whenever someone with an obvious brony name/avatar/spray joins, so doing that while griefing may help.

Fakedit: The Desert Eagle is a great weapon and I would suggest finding one ASAP whenever possible. Its almost as accurate as an unscoped rifle and kills with a single headshot. Plinking away at players across the map only to nail one of them in the head is almost as great as the resulting shock and outrage :allears:.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Stupid thread, you made me buy a steam game when it wasn't on sale. Why would someone do that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The Droid posted:

I've also seen players (oftentimes highschoolers from the sounds of their voices) get REALLY mad whenever someone with an obvious brony name/avatar/spray joins, so doing that while griefing may help.

Sprays are always a good tool for griefing. Really obnoxious brony/furry stuff will make people mad, get some weird cutesy anime spray and people will stop to stare at it (Griefing TTT yesterday there was someone with some cutesy anime spray that people kept stopping to look at, making for super easy headshots) all the time, use an edgy political spray and so on.

Though I've had people rage at me in TF2 for having this as a spray too so chances are you'll get someone, somewhere mad for using any spray at all.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Yardbomb posted:

Sprays are always a good tool for griefing. Really obnoxious brony/furry stuff will make people mad, get some weird cutesy anime spray and people will stop to stare at it (Griefing TTT yesterday there was someone with some cutesy anime spray that people kept stopping to look at, making for super easy headshots) all the time, use an edgy political spray and so on.

Though I've had people rage at me in TF2 for having this as a spray too so chances are you'll get someone, somewhere mad for using any spray at all.

Why not just boobs if you want to make stupid teenagers stand still and stare? :v:

e: One of my friends back in the WON days taught med school. He played CS and used to dig up really graphic depictions of medical procedures and use them as his spray. He'd stand near them and whenever people stopped to stare, he would begin to explain in very gruesome detail what was happening in the image. More than one person flipped their poo poo in disgust and rage. :v:

Although there was one time when rather than get upset, people asked questions and it turned into an online class. :shobon:

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 29, 2013

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Machai posted:

So wait...wouldn't that turn the whole game into an elaborate RNG machine where all you do is load in and instantly determine who was randomly assigned as a traitor before hunting them downe? That seems absolutely pointless, like playing CTF and ruling that the Red-team must bring their flag to the Blue base at the beginning of the game.

I guess they got their jollies in having a manhunt for the couple of guys who didn't go to get tested, but I didn't stick around more than one round. It's sad because TTT has the potential to be a really fun and deep gamemode, but it's hindered by people who want to "balance" it, IE make it so they die less. That video someone posted a few pages back of killing everyone every round then just dancing in circles and spamming music until time runs out was glorious after dealing with so many power-hungry idiots in the gamemode.

AXE COP posted:

To inspire extra rage from them, ignore their shrieking questions about why you keep killing them, and actually make a point to keep talking to someone else so they know they're being ignored. It's a simple tactic, but bronies thrive on attention and getting denied that + play time will often send them into a frothing, awe-inspiring rage.

Tsurupettan posted:

Why not just boobs if you want to make stupid teenagers stand still and stare? :v:

e: One of my friends back in the WON days taught med school. He played CS and used to dig up really graphic depictions of medical procedures and use them as his spray. He'd stand near them and whenever people stopped to stare, he would begin to explain in very gruesome detail what was happening in the image. More than one person flipped their poo poo in disgust and rage. :v:

Although there was one time when rather than get upset, people asked questions and it turned into an online class. :shobon:

I had a boob spray in tf2 to try and pull that "get someone to stare at spray, backstab" tactic. I was playing on 2fort (playing 2fort is self-griefing, let no one tell you otherwise) and had been hounding this one dumb Heavy in particular the entire round, even opting to just wait outside his team's fort for him to stroll right out the front door oblivious every time. He stopped coming for a bit, so I went into the base to find him staring at the boob spray I did earlier. I disguised as him and kept spamming vocal commands until he turned, looked at me, then started spinning up. Circled round him for a backstab. Dumb heavies are the best part of tf2 nowadays, because you just know they feel impervious playing as that class.

Lt. Dans Legs fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 29, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
My TF2 spray is "KILL ALL BRONIES" in a flashing, changing neon rainbow of colors. It's not subtle, but it does its job well.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Twenty Drunk Apes posted:

Well with the whole current Steam thing of your in-game name being the same as your profile name, instead of being able to put in a different name like you could in the past, it's probably making things more miserable for bronies everywhere.

That's a good thing though.
You can still change your name at will. And it's not hard to raise the ire of a bunch of shut-in, hateful teenagers with a carefully chosen nickname. Sometimes you don't even have to do anything, the name is enough.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

I did this back when I was playing Day of Defeat. Spray out some awesome tits in a high traffic area and find a place to set up my mg42 on it's bipod. Guys would come along and stop to stare, I'd gun them down. After a few kills they'd start trying to weed me out, one guy in particular tried blindly banking grenades around the corner. Once those exploded he must've figured I'd been scared off because he ran around the corner and stopped the stare at the spray some more.

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

You can still change your name at will. And it's not hard to raise the ire of a bunch of shut-in, hateful teenagers with a carefully chosen nickname. Sometimes you don't even have to do anything, the name is enough.

I saw a video a few days ago where someone named his/herself "in my butt"
Cue tons of people screaming "IT'S IN MY BUTT, THE TRAITOR IS IN MY BUTT"

Someone commented "name yourself 'me'" and i'm wondering how that would turn out. Better if you name yourself Mii so it's more subtle.

vvv That's the video.

Doctor Doodler fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 29, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

"in my butt" is and always has been the best name to use in TTT. It got posted earlier, but holy gently caress https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6YVmBXUaRM deserves reposting. It's a minute and a half long and it's just nonstop stupid, immature hilarity.

e:f,b

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

To clarify this, what valve removed was the setinfo console command that the source engine had, which allowed you to spoof your name while in-game. It didn't actually change your steam display name, and it would reset at the end of a map, but as far as the server was concerned that was your name. People were using it to be basically un-bannable because a)they could change their name faster than an admin could access banning tools because they could use a randomized script and b)for some reason, setinfo didn't properly follow the "no name collisions" rule and you could name yourself the same as other people on the server, making it impossible for standard admin controls to tell which was which. You can still change your actual steam display name by going into the settings menu in the overlay, so unless you need to change your name more than once a second (or hide your names from your friends list) it doesn't really change anything.

e: vvv You can't do it with setinfo, but at the point that you're hacking you can probably hack it to send spoofed IDs.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 29, 2013

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I'm pretty sure you can still do that, though. Just yesterday I was on a TF2 server and a hacker showed up and flew around instakilling everyone as a superfast, always critting heavy and he kept changing his name to be exactly the same as other people on the server so no one could ban him.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Doctor Doodler posted:

I saw a video a few days ago where someone named his/herself "in my butt"
Cue tons of people screaming "IT'S IN MY BUTT, THE TRAITOR IS IN MY BUTT"

Someone commented "name yourself 'me'" and i'm wondering how that would turn out. Better if you name yourself Mii so it's more subtle.

vvv That's the video.
Or Nothing, Odysseus style

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Dauntasa posted:

I'm pretty sure you can still do that, though. Just yesterday I was on a TF2 server and a hacker showed up and flew around instakilling everyone as a superfast, always critting heavy and he kept changing his name to be exactly the same as other people on the server so no one could ban him.

I'm betting simply due to what else he was doing that it was more than simply a console command that he was employing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SS13 Time, in which Dr. Cogworks teases us:

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

It was a real hoot having to say the words "Space station 13" and "autisticpowers.info" and explain why people were farting up a storm in a chatlog I had to send to the FBI a few months ago.

The full story emerges where a player griefs other players, then tries to grief the admins, then it ends up with the FBI griefing the player.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Some weirdo was making rapey and creepy comments in game one night at about one AM. I yelled at them, they responded with a couple weird cryptic messages and then this, roughly: "well thanks for all the fun times here, i've got my rifle loaded and i'm gonna be shooting up a school full of kids in the morning, so this is goodbye"

User key was his first initial and last name with a number, that same account name was also used by a certain college student's blog and google+ page. Found his city and college from those, and the IP address he was playing from matched the ip registry for that college. Submitted the admin log, ip and timestamps to the FBI's online tips form, got several frantic calls back from city police and FBI agents over the next several hours and ended up getting calls from various detectives and fbi agents every hour or so from one am to three pm. No goddamn sleep.

Dude's dorm room was raided and he was arrested within about three hours of his comments, dorm was searched, computer taken to forensics, all that jazz. I dunno what happened past that though. I did have to write up some incident reports and attach a whole bunch of supplementary text and pictures about what ss13 is, how we log player communications and login info, how people find the game, how people register for the game, and a whole bunch of other stuff like that. Somewhere there's a screenshot in an FBI evidence folder showing a bunch of regular players farting, because it was impossible to find any portion of the game chat panel WITHOUT farting.

goddamn you all

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

The full story emerges where a player griefs other players, then tries to grief the admins, then it ends up with the FBI griefing the player.

That's pretty fantastic.

Also, for more TTT/Garry's Mod hilarity, watch this.

"I'm the president!"

Tubba Blubba
Jul 14, 2011

Slanderer posted:

That's pretty fantastic.

Also, for more TTT/Garry's Mod hilarity, watch this.

"I'm the president!"

The ending of that is pretty great too.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

SynthOrange posted:

This is absolutely amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
I've found a way to amuse myself on TTT whilst reading through revision notes. Hide and seek! Find a map with a decent number of hiding places, vents seem to be ideal and wait till you are picked as a traitor. Just amble around arousing no suspicion until you are the last survivor on your team then head to your hiding spot of choice. Proceed to read revision notes whilst jiggling the mouse every 30 seconds or so to avoid being moved to spectator and listen as the surviving innocents go mental trying to find you/start accusing and murdering each other. Surprisingly effective so far, especially if you manage to pay enough attention to kill anyone who stumbles across your hiding spot before they can reveal your position.

• Locked thread