Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Any tips on what to do with foriegn countries once you've sphered them? As the US I am trying to get a stranglehold on South America, and I guess I can start investing in factories. How does foreign investment work? Do I get a cut of the profit, and does it increase my industrial score?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Raneman posted:

Any tips on what to do with foriegn countries once you've sphered them? As the US I am trying to get a stranglehold on South America, and I guess I can start investing in factories. How does foreign investment work? Do I get a cut of the profit, and does it increase my industrial score?

They get the money, you get the points, and your % of foreign investment in the country applies as a penalty to anyone else's attempt to influence them.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

A_Raving_Loon posted:

They get the money, you get the points, and your % of foreign investment in the country applies as a penalty to anyone else's attempt to influence them.

I'm pretty sure your capitalists get a cut of the money from foreign factories.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

JGBeagle posted:

So, are you supposed to always have a standing army in V2 and HoI3? I'm used to Crusader Kings where you didn't want an army out all the time since that would cause rebellions.

You should have a standing army in V2, and you can supplement your standing army by mobilizing. You are also able to turn down maintenance in peacetime to save money.

In HoI3 you need to have a standing army, but usually they are reserve units. Then you reinforce them when going to war by mobilizing.

So yes, you should have a major standing army in both games, but there is stuff to do besides build units.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Having dipped my toe into colonialism a bit, the lack of a colonial view on the Outliner is definitely a problem.

You get a warning on the Diplomacy button when you're losing a colonial race, but it's not nearly enough because
A. clicking on it when it's warning you about a race you're losing does not actually take you to that state
B. it only ever warns you if you're already losing the race, when it should instead/also be telling you when you can increase your commitment
C. it doesn't work for telling you when you can move straight to a Protectorate for an unchallenged colonial expedition

The Colonial map-mode is also lacking in that it doesn't distinguish between established-colonies-that-can-become-protectorates and full protectorates.

Ideally, I'd like a Colonial section of the Outliner that looked a little something like this:

code:
Colonies
=============
State A          (1) 28D
State B          (1) 30D
State C          (2) 33D
Where the (1) indicates the level of the colony, and then the number of days remaining until you can increase your commitment. The line would then be colored red if there was a competitor for the colony, and then mousing over the line would tell you who was competing and what their commitment level is.

ThomasPaine posted:

In Victoria 2, do bankrupt factories reopen automatically at any point when the market improves or are they shut until you fund them? Just getting annoyed at the amount of times I've thought 'hold on why am I making no money and why do I have 50% unemployment? Oh right half of my factories are just sitting there'. Also general tips for balancing your finances in the early game, I always seem to end up banging taxes to the max, putting tariffs right up and slashing military spending. I know this is not a sustainable setup, but at the beginning anything less loses me all the money very quickly. gently caress me I enjoy this game but coming from Crusader Kings 2 it has such a steep learning curve and feels so much more opaque.

If you are running Laissez Faire/Interventionist/State Capitalism economies and you have Capitalists, the Capis will take it upon themselves to re-open factories that are closed if their AI decides to try and see if they're profitable now. If you're running Planned Economy or you don't have Capis (and State Capitalism Capis are also very gunshy), then any closed factories will remain closed forever unless you yourself re-open them.

Don't feel bad about max taxes, max tariffs and zero military spending: They might feel like extreme measures, but they're par for the course.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

What is the general opinion on the Darkest Hour to Arsenal of Democracy Map Project? I've really been trying to like Darkest Hour, but with the different manpower system and the lack of late-game nuclear power as an option for resource-starved countries (Hungary!), I guess we just weren't meant for each other.

So I'm going back to Arsenal of Democracy for my next game, and I'd like to take that nice map with me, thank you very much.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Jean Pony posted:

Apropos nothing in particular: Where can I read a crash course on the clusterfuck that is the balkans?

Well, I did pick up The Balkans by Misha Glenny a bit more than a year ago and I'd recommend it, but I'm not learned enough on the Balkans to know how much of it is accurate. It's good enough to get you started, at least. Be advised, though, that it's divided in a chronological and national basis. That is, you'll get a chapter that goes from, say, 1860-1884 and then within it subchapters that would be something like Serbia 1860-1870, then Greece 1860-1865, then Serbia 1870-1885. So you may feel inclined to skip over the countries you may not be so interested in.

Content: I can't believe how ineffectual Britain is now, and I love it. I can basically write them off during a crisis, which is awesome because more than once they've stood against me on those (for reference, I'm playing as Prussia/Germany and the only crises have ever been over Austrian territories, so naturally I'll support the side that screws over Austria). The only real pain now is that I used to be allied with them, but because of a recent crisis war I now have no great power allies (Italy occasionally drops in and out of GP status, but eh). On top of that, I can't buddy up with any other GPs because they're already allied to each other. Looks like I'll just have to wait for a crisis to split the Franco-Russian alliance so I can make friends with my large eastern neighbor :negative:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Well, I finally did it: After two years of playing all their major flagship series, I finally managed to play a game all the way through instead of deciding halfway through that I'd rather play a different country. I took Persia from a little backwater nation to a proper fledgeling empire. :911:

I had Afghanistan for the vast majority of the game, but about 5 years from the end I was too busy too busy dealing with one of the many containment wars that most major world powers repeatedly launched against me to worry about Afghan Nationalist rebels who forced independence, only to be immediately swallowed up by Bukkhara. Other things of note:

* I had no allies once I hit GP status. First they didn't like that I was a Communist dictatorship, and then they didn't like the infamy I had because of course every single Justify CB action I took got discovered within days, getting me full infamy. I'd really like to see whatever stat determines how likely you are to get caught tweaked a bit, I don't think I've ever, in any game, made it more than a month without getting discovered.

* I was 8th place GP for several decades, until Russia decided to join one of Britain's containment wars against me. I won all of these wars but Russia, who was number 9 at the time, and I tore the poo poo out of each other in this war so bad that we both dropped two places, leaving an independent Australia (who managed to colonize its own interior instead of ending up with a British center looking like a medium-rare steak) in 8th place. There wasn't enough time left in the game to catch back up. :argh:

* The Ottomans never declined. The Sick Man of Europe evidently got better, through a series of well-maintained alliances with the great powers of Europe and the colonization of a huge chunk of Africa. I think my high prestige (I got really lucky with Olympics, expeditions to Egypt and the poles, etc) is the only reason I've got so many places higher than them. The only reason I was able to snag the three states that make up Iraq was because the Turks were the target of almost every Crisis until the endgame when they picked mainly on China instead. When the great powers went to war to force the Ottomans to give independence to some Balkan shithole I'd wait until the armies got ground down and declare my own war--otherwise I'd get crushed by an empire that decided not to decline.

* Other general things I found interesting: The US reached #1 despite never claiming California, Arizona (which is probably for the best), or Washington. Vancouver decided to gently caress off and become Columbia. The Chinese Empire collapsed--the state called The Chinese Empire did pretty well for itself, but all the substates became fully independent, no longer answering to Beijing. Germany didn't form until very late in the game, because Prussia, though powerful, was involved in too many wars with other GPs to really bother sphereing the other German states. There were only two world wars, both before 1890, though the containment wars I was constantly fighting off were generally me, alone, desperately holding off at least three other GPs until the warscore ticked up where I needed it to be, so those may as well have been World Wars Three through Eight. Also, I'm not sure why everyone's saying the UK is toothless now, they sure as poo poo weren't afraid to drop 100,000-man doomstacks all across the world wherever they felt someone needed the Royal Army's attentions.

I'm sure a lot of people in the thread could have done better, but I'm pretty proud of myself. Not quite the Achaemonids, but good enough. :gbsmith:

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
What are you goons opinions on the Pop Demand mod?

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
After reading this I'm thinking Paradox should leak an early version of EU4 where piracy is 1000x worse in game. A tribute to Magna Mundi.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I think Britain is just completely hit-or-miss. In my Scandinavia game, AI Britain invaded and sieged the entirety of Austria-Hungary during a Great War.

Any news on when the first patch for HoD will hit?

James The 1st posted:

I haven't tried it yet for Heart of Darkness because it's still so new and it'll take time to iron any kinks out, but in AHD I played exclusively with the Pop Demand Mod. Sure it gave my system a slowdown but it also made industry much more fun, and it's pretty much required for me if I want to play any country in the Americas because of its reworked immigration system.

Drone fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 29, 2013

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

James The 1st posted:

Used to be good but now it's gotten a little crazy with all the stuff they add, in particular their economy reworkings and new/changed unit types.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Looks like I'll just have to wait for a crisis to split the Franco-Russian alliance so I can make friends with my large eastern neighbor :negative:

France and Russia don't have conflicting interests, so the Franco-Russian alliance won't break unless one of them falls to rebellion. It happened in my current game when France fell to three rebellions (Jacobins, Communards and then Jacobins again) in the course of a decade, which was pretty cool.

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008
In Victoria II, is there any way to modify the time it takes to recruit units or build ships?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Drone posted:

I think Britain is just completely hit-or-miss. In my Scandinavia game, AI Britain invaded and sieged the entirety of Austria-Hungary during a Great War.

Any news on when the first patch for HoD will hit?
Podcat did a bonus Dev diary today. He said that "there will be a public beta soon.(tm)"

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Can we please call it yet? Can we start saying that EvW is nothing but WW2 Hearts of Iron?

And since it was mentioned in this thread a while back, Lucas Pope's Papers, Please got some good press coverage and supports modding now. Somebody already made the obligatory Nazi Germany mod :eng99:

Westminster System posted:

I fully admit to helping Greece plod along to great power for an iota of a second to form its rightful Roma, aswell as giving Afghanistan its rightful due.

Also dismantling Russia because god drat they really love declaring wars over Astrakhan. Monster-Ukraine scares me now.

But what the hell Victoria.

I swear, every time I looked at europe something new and hilariously ridiculous had happened. Republic of Sweden, Republic of Poland.. Ireland fully occupying the UK and resulting the Kingdom of England.

I.. just don't know anymore. I'm gonna go live in Glorious Mega-Manitoba, I guess.

EDIT: Oh good China westernized and we're all doomed.
What the gently caress are you running?

James The 1st posted:

I haven't looked into it for HoD. They probably did more ridiculous bullshit involving the military system and rail infrastructure and their loving hard-on for upping dig-in to stupid levels. NNM has all the stuff that matters, anyway.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 29, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm really enjoying NNM. I'm not sure what it changes (other than obviously more nations) but the whole mechanics of the game seem slightly improved some how.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why the hell does Liberia start off as an uncivilized nation?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

'War weariness' appears to literally have more space dedicated in the UI in EvW than in HOI.

I also dislike the theme of the UI in general - it works for DEFCON, it does not work here.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 29, 2013

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.

Fister Roboto posted:

Racism.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Went back and grabbed my worldmap from 1936:

Poland, Finland, and Hungary are the big crisis results of that game; I think I had to pull each of them out myself (I don't remember Poland being a war, but Finland and Hungary were definitely major conflicts). Finland I pulled out and allied, but Russia poured all of its influence in and eventually stole it (then allied with them and attacked me together). I pulled the United Baltic Duchy away in about 1925 to try and get Russia off my/Poland's back for good. Italy and I were buddies, but they kept picking fights with France's allies so I eventually just let France take Piedmont to shut them both up. Of course, that just freed them up to come for me, so the Benelux countries (before Luxembourg also voluntarily joined Germany) and I basically formed a fortress, although those sneaky French kept sneaking in over Switzerland. :argh:

Not too much else of interest, really. I got to annex Austria after I formed Germany from the nationalism events, but France had stolen part of Austria that later broke off from nationalist rebels. The big purple blob in Africa is Russia and I have no idea what happened to South America :gonk: (that's a lie; the entire continent took sides between the US and the UK and got swept up in a war every decade).

As a reminder, my endgame screen:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

James The 1st posted:

Massively improves industry, the economy, immigration, and National Ideas, but massively fucks up railroads and basically the entire military side of the game. If there was a 'POP Demand Mod With Default Railroads And Default Military' I'd play it forever; as-is I can neither recommend it nor can I recommend against it. It ultimately comes down to personal opinion whether or not the good things it adds outweigh the retarded things it adds.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 29, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also the code for the decisions they add in is sloppy and overloaded as gently caress so you can never tell what the requirements actually are unless you delve into the code and puzzle it out for yourself.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What specifically are the bad parts of pop demand? What does it gently caress up with railroads?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I miss the Divergences mod. Especially now that colonization has been revamped, how will the glorious empire of Zhourao rise to Great Powerdom now? :(

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

You mean WW3, right? :D

And yeah, those screenshots look totally underwhelming to me. And the UI is pretty ugly too! EvW probably isn't a Paradox game that I'll be getting, sadly.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

What specifically are the bad parts of pop demand? What does it gently caress up with railroads?

It adds a poo poo-ton of new terrain superfluous terrain types (like "dry forest mountains" or "marginal farmland" or "boreal forest hills") and they each have their own penalty to the province's max railroad level. Problem is for some reason, in some terrains you can build a level 1 railroad but not a level 2. Oh, also all those different terrain types have attrition penalties, making army management even more of a tedious slog.

Basically PDM is full of a bunch of changes based on "wouldn't it be more realistic if..." rather than "wouldn't it be more fun if..."

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

It adds a bunch of limits on railroads related to terrain type - certain terrain types can only build a railroad of X level, sort of thing. The problem is that they did this without actually checking how frequent the terrain types in question are, and with penalties too severe. The long and short of it is that the majority of the world can't build railroads until the very end of the game, and there are many provinces where you won't be able to build a railroad at all, ever.

The military changes are also pretty stupid, mainly because they changed a shitload of numbers seemingly without having any loving idea about what they do or what changing them does. The result is that the AI that governs army composition wigs the gently caress out and sticks units in places they really shouldn't belong, like sticking guards in the second line, hussars in the center, or artillery on the front battle line. Armies in Pop Demand generally take disproportionately high losses compared to similarly-constructed vanilla armies as a result.

They really need to cut out the military changes and just release them as a separate mod, because I'd play Pop Demand exclusively if not for that. I could even tolerate the railroads thing if there were a version with default military stats.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Couldn't you just rip out the population demand stuff from all the other crap then? Or is it all too integrated?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

DrSunshine posted:

You mean WW3, right? :D

And yeah, those screenshots look totally underwhelming to me. And the UI is pretty ugly too! EvW probably isn't a Paradox game that I'll be getting, sadly.

EvW has been a no-buy since they changed the diplomacy button :colbert:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
In Vic 2, how can I savegame edit a province to be colonial? I wanna make a dynamic buffer state in a coreless civilized province.

edit: Namely, right here, so I can have a neutral choke point in between me and my new southern ally (and France obv).

PS "Liberate Country" CB removes the cores of the defeated country which is really cool.

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 30, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nice. I don't know if this is a paradox event or the NNM mod I'm using but it made me smile.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Nice. I don't know if this is a paradox event or the NNM mod I'm using but it made me smile.
It's vanilla.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yep, that one is vanilla, and awesome. I think there's another one about one of the famous comets of the time, and the text talks about how this would have really freaked people out in the past, and the option text is something to the effect of "Thankfully we live in truly Enlightened times!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Raserys posted:

I miss the Divergences mod. Especially now that colonization has been revamped, how will the glorious empire of Zhourao rise to Great Powerdom now? :(

Man, if we got a goon to port that over to HoD, I'd be ecstatic. With that and Srbja Adventures, I don't even need the base game anymore!

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

PittTheElder posted:

Yep, that one is vanilla, and awesome. I think there's another one about one of the famous comets of the time, and the text talks about how this would have really freaked people out in the past, and the option text is something to the effect of "Thankfully we live in truly Enlightened times!

There's also another option text that's "Everyone, keep looking at the sky!"

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Had my German Empire get in a great war that resulted in me fighting off all GPs but one, my humble ally Japan.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Playing for a lot of Hearts of Iron 3 lately with a friend. First time I actually managed to play a paradox game without getting my rear end handed to me. despite the fact that I have no idea what I'm doing, but it works so that's good at least.
The United States has yet to invade me despite the fact that the original date for d-day has passed. (probably because my friend technically started World War Two and me playing Germany didn't) So I'm thinking about invading the UK but trying to figure out how to use the landing craft will most likely drive me insane which is why I haven't done anything. While my friend playing the Soviet Union is taking over the the middle East.

Edit:
Please ignore any grammatical errors and stuff like that. I'm testing out Google Voice along with the new something awful app so it's bound to be a bit dodgy.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 30, 2013

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Liberia didn't formalize its constitution and legal status as something other than a US colony until 1847, and the game starts in 1836.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

http://www.mmorpgitalia.it/site/content.php?6714-Europa-Universalis-IV-Johan-Andersson-Interview

quote:

Johan Andersson: Well, since you asked - let’s talk a little about hordes for the first time We have taken the horde system from the Europa Universalis III: Divine Wind expansion and brought it into the Europa Universalis IV age. So firstly we have added in a custom idea group for horde countries. This idea group is customised towards horde game play and will assist player and AI a like in being a good horde. We’ve removed the need to colonise provinces and put the hordes back into the standard diplomatic system, but hordes get special Casus Belli to wage war on other hordes, making life so much easier if you wish to fight your horde brothers. The final question is of course how do I stop becoming a horde. We’ve kept the same idea of a decision, which you need to meet technology requirements in order to enact. Then instead of requiring a good monarch (which is down to luck) you need to spend a certain amount of power points (which is down to skill). Although we should not forget that gaining power points is quicker if you have a good monarch.

The new Horde system seems better than the one from Divine Wind. Or at least with the colonization requirement gone you probably won't see Austria snaking their way to the Pacific.

• Locked thread