Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
So I have a question I haven't seen it before but I am hoping it's a thing that exists. So for the Tera costume I am planning I am supposed to have a enormous battle axe I want to make it so it breaks down for obvious reasons. while I know there are screw pieces for PVC I was wondering if there are snap pieces for PVC? That way I can make sure everything goes back together exactly the way I want it, if not I will settle but I still have some time before I start working on this beast so I figured now was the time to look into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

LadyRavenWaves posted:

So I have a question I haven't seen it before but I am hoping it's a thing that exists. So for the Tera costume I am planning I am supposed to have a enormous battle axe I want to make it so it breaks down for obvious reasons. while I know there are screw pieces for PVC I was wondering if there are snap pieces for PVC? That way I can make sure everything goes back together exactly the way I want it, if not I will settle but I still have some time before I start working on this beast so I figured now was the time to look into it.

They're not exactly "snap" pieces, but you might consider using inside connectors.

They're used for low-pressure systems, since they can come apart under high pressure, but you don't need them to actually carry water. Just be sure the connections can handle the weight of the full piece without sliding apart before you take it out to a con or whatever.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

They're not exactly "snap" pieces, but you might consider using inside connectors.

They're used for low-pressure systems, since they can come apart under high pressure, but you don't need them to actually carry water. Just be sure the connections can handle the weight of the full piece without sliding apart before you take it out to a con or whatever.

Hmmm, maybe something like that with industrial magnets for extra stay power... I will have to see how heavy it's going to be, I am trying to make it as light as possible but with the size of it I don't think I am going to get away from it being 5-10lbs. Not really a big deal for me but I worry about the joints.

Edited for a visual of what I am aiming for.

Don't mind all my crazy notes, the circle/stick setup would be me in comparison to the axe roughly. I'm at just under 6' and with the shoes I will have for this will be just over 6'.

LadyRavenWaves fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 18, 2013

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
With something that huge, those little snap connectors probably won't cut it. To be honest, PVC pipe might struggle with that kind of weight/inertia (even using a relatively light material you're gonna put a lot of strain on the shaft), it might be worth looking into making the shaft out of something a bit more solid, maybe some kind of metal piping

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Metal piping will make it waaaaaaay too heavy and ensure that it's not convention friendly, which loving sucks. I'd use screw-on PVC connectors, they'd be stronger.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Yea that is why I figured I would share it's going to be massive.

Yea metal is heavy and almost never allowed at cons these days. But Mc Panterton I have a fantastic idea now thanks a ton!

SmithKurosaki
Apr 15, 2009

Of course I'm not scum, if I were scum I would be fucking glaring. Christ.
I work as weapons inspector at two different conventions in my area. If you're making any form of weapon or large handheld type prop (shields, etc), best not to make it out of metal, as some convention spaces have 'no metal' rules.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

LadyRavenWaves posted:

Use fibreglass tube/rod. You can get them in mechanically accurate diameters so they interlock, and stay together.

Personally, I wouldn't make something big like that a multipart prop. This sort of thing happens....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kexVhIjuq-8

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
With a proper mechanical attach point, that shouldn't happen. As long as it's screwed/pinned tightly and well (and maybe you don't swing it around wildly), nothing should fall apart. Our Nightmare's Soul Edge was also built to break down into 2 pieces and it's not coming apart on its own anytime soon.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Anyone have a suggestion on how to cut down a wig to proper proportion with out destroying it? I tried today to get one done for my Leon costume and just completely wrecked the wig.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

fallin1 posted:

Anyone have a suggestion on how to cut down a wig to proper proportion with out destroying it? I tried today to get one done for my Leon costume and just completely wrecked the wig.

Arda wigs has a TON of tutorials. I haven't been able to use one yet but I did watch a few. I also picked up a stand for my foam heads which makes me excited.
http://arda-wigs.com/pages/tutorials-articles

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Ugh one of those wigs are almost perfect but I can't justify $30 for it to my wife.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

fallin1 posted:

Ugh one of those wigs are almost perfect but I can't justify $30 for it to my wife.

They are really nice AND re-stylable! $30 is great for a wig.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Funhilde posted:

They are really nice AND re-stylable! $30 is great for a wig.

Stop making me contemplate it. If I win big as the races tomorrow maybe.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

fallin1 posted:

Are you asking how to cut hair? I'm pretty good with wigs so I can try to help.

If you're asking "how do I cut hair" the key is mostly the kind of scissors you use and the angle of the cut. You want small, very sharp scissors. I use the kind you get in a manicure case if I don't have actual salon-style scissors around. Then you want to take a small bit of hair and spread it so it's flat between your fingers. Like the lady in this handy stock image:

Then, you have to ANGLE YOUR SCISSORS so they point upwards at AT LEAST a 45 degree angle towards your wig. I tend to angle mine so much they are nearly pointed straight up. The biggest mistake lovely wig stylists make is cutting with the scissors straight across. It looks like rear end. I tried and failed to find a picture for you on the internet, but it looks extremely fake and awkward when cut straight across. You're trying to go for a feathery edge along the bottom, not a very blunt cut.

I tend to try on my wig a ton while I'm cutting it because I am very paranoid I am going to cut too short and gently caress it up. Sometimes I will leave a clip on the wig where I want to cut the hair. If I am cutting a long wig short, I will cut the bulk off about an inch longer than where I need it to be and carefully trim it down.

This is much easier if you are doing a wig for someone else and you can have them sit there with it on while you cut it.

That being said, I always try to find a base wig as close to the length/style as I can. Saves you time and stress.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Xaerael posted:

Use fibreglass tube/rod. You can get them in mechanically accurate diameters so they interlock, and stay together.

Personally, I wouldn't make something big like that a multipart prop. This sort of thing happens....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kexVhIjuq-8

I am going to have to go with McPantserton. I have made lots of multipart props and I have never had that issue before. Mine Are usually screw apart but as long as they are properly secured they don't go anywhere. My only big prop that doesn't break apart is Sylvanas's bow and I regret not figuring out how to make it break down all the time, travel is so much easier when things break down.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Yeah, I have opinions about props that break down because my spear for Hilde is never allowed at bigger conventions and it makes me really sad because it's my favorite single piece of the costume. It's really irritating to spend all that time on something and only be able to have it at contests. Next time I need a big prop there's just no way I'd make it all in one piece.

Arsenic Life Form
Jan 1, 2011
Wow, people here are amazingly talented.

Not quite on the same level, but some friends and I made a site to give people inspiration for costumes ideas. We put out several costumes every day (in digital form). Would love for you guys to check it out.

http://carboncostume.com/

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Speaking of convention-friendly props, my husband spent some time on my mace today. :woop:

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
Thought I would share what I had so far with my Ironman Mk6 suit so far! Forgive me and my terrible picture.

Still not complete(got to paint more, install lighting, and still gotta build shoes/one glove) but it's going to be just sitting in my living room until August of so like this. Finals are coming up and I got to go to Korea for the summer so it seems Iron Man wont be completed just yet. Everything is made of EVA foam so it's nice and easy to wear, if a little hard to put on without some help. I'm fairly proud of it so far since its the first time I've built anything with foam! Note: The entire arm part seems a bit high in this picture mainly because I didn't build a frame for the arm to hang on and it's just sort of pushed between the body and the shoulder for now.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Fantastic job!! It is looking great so far, shocking that it's your first time working with EVA foam looks like you have been using it for a while.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010

LadyRavenWaves posted:

Fantastic job!! It is looking great so far, shocking that it's your first time working with EVA foam looks like you have been using it for a while.

Trust me the bad picture quality is hiding all the slightly visible seam lines and such. I've had some experience with papercraft so this wasn't too big of a change but it's still a learning process for me and hopefully my next suit will look much better!

Apathetic Panda
Nov 14, 2005

This is how we roll.
I am the most amateur of costume makers, but me and my friends are going to Anime Expo this year and decided to try cosplaying. We haven't been to a con in years, but we've decided todo Dangan Ronpa. The kids are all easy enough but my friend wants to be Monobear and I said I would attempt to make it. Anyone have suggestions on how to do the big round bear head?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I would look around for tutorials or logs for people who've done Deadmau5 heads. There's got to be some out there and it'd pretty much be the same thing.

e. don't want to double post but here are my pauldrons. :) Top one is fully painted, bottom still needs to be highlighted. I think the difference is subtle but the highlights really, really add a lot of depth.

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 27, 2013

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Apathetic Panda posted:

I am the most amateur of costume makers, but me and my friends are going to Anime Expo this year and decided to try cosplaying. We haven't been to a con in years, but we've decided todo Dangan Ronpa. The kids are all easy enough but my friend wants to be Monobear and I said I would attempt to make it. Anyone have suggestions on how to do the big round bear head?

Check out the Halloween 2012 thread if you have archives - Vague Optimism did a great Robbie the Rabbit from Silent Hill 3.

If you don't have archives, here's a cached version of the page.

Apathetic Panda
Nov 14, 2005

This is how we roll.
Those are both great ideas, at least I have a place to start now, thanks!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
More incremental progress, this week is time to step it up! Convention is coming up so quickly, aaaaagh. :gonk:

My friend sewed the trim on my skirt thingers for me today and I got more painting done plus got the pattern done for the foot armor and the first pieces put together. It's so nice to have somebody do my sewing for me, I'm terrible and I hate it when I end up with tight printing and super sloppy seams!

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

McPantserton posted:

More incremental progress, this week is time to step it up! Convention is coming up so quickly, aaaaagh. :gonk:

My friend sewed the trim on my skirt thingers for me today and I got more painting done plus got the pattern done for the foot armor and the first pieces put together. It's so nice to have somebody do my sewing for me, I'm terrible and I hate it when I end up with tight printing and super sloppy seams!

I just love these panels so much I want to find out outfit that requires the same style just so I can try it out.

In other news helping the local comic shop with costume stuff is rad, apparently the machine that drys water damaged comics is great for heating up craft foam to form it. Haven't made a ton of progress on my stuff this week however I gained a sanding crew for fixing lots of peoples costumes for FCBD and just in time as I ordered a 4lb pack of Apoxie Sculpt.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Wip on my corvo mask.

One side has a layer of claycrete the other doesn't yet.

I need to get some burlap type material for the backing and then form that to my face then comes the fun part of applying all the metal bits and pieces.

Can't find a cheap toy crossbow like he uses in the game so I'm going to be constructing that too as well as the folding sword. Lots of crafting in store for me once school is out.

E: Well cancel that about the crossbow, I just found one for $30. More than what I want to spend but it saves me time and frustration.

fallin1 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 30, 2013

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

McPantserton posted:

I would look around for tutorials or logs for people who've done Deadmau5 heads. There's got to be some out there and it'd pretty much be the same thing.

e. don't want to double post but here are my pauldrons. :) Top one is fully painted, bottom still needs to be highlighted. I think the difference is subtle but the highlights really, really add a lot of depth.

Oh yeah, that paintjob is niiiiice.

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!

fallin1 posted:

Wip on my corvo mask.

One side has a layer of claycrete the other doesn't yet.

I need to get some burlap type material for the backing and then form that to my face then comes the fun part of applying all the metal bits and pieces.

Looks cool! Just a heads up though, you may want to look into other materials other than burlap since it can be extremely uncomfortable up against skin. If you need that similar texture/look of burlap, try looking for monk's cloth.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Mobius 1 posted:

Looks cool! Just a heads up though, you may want to look into other materials other than burlap since it can be extremely uncomfortable up against skin. If you need that similar texture/look of burlap, try looking for monk's cloth.

Already planned for that.

In that one you can see that the burlap material is backed by a different fabric so that's my plan right now.

ruggala
Oct 22, 2005

Coo coo cachoo
Need makeup and hair help:

So I'm pretty much done for my cosplay for NYCC 2013. I have 2 questions that will help finish things up:

PROGRESS SO FAR: http://ruggala08.deviantart.com/gallery/40516304

1. How can I make my face or part of face and arms look like they are made of sand? Obviously I can't spray spraypaint at my face as that would be very dangerous and stupid. Any suggestions welcome.

2. How do I get this haircut: http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_small/3/31666/722147-sandman_1.jpg It seems to be a dark red color. I have no idea how to simulate that stripe pattern into real life. Once again, I'll take any suggestions.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

ruggala posted:

Need makeup and hair help:

So I'm pretty much done for my cosplay for NYCC 2013. I have 2 questions that will help finish things up:

PROGRESS SO FAR: http://ruggala08.deviantart.com/gallery/40516304

1. How can I make my face or part of face and arms look like they are made of sand? Obviously I can't spray spraypaint at my face as that would be very dangerous and stupid. Any suggestions welcome.

2. How do I get this haircut: http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_small/3/31666/722147-sandman_1.jpg It seems to be a dark red color. I have no idea how to simulate that stripe pattern into real life. Once again, I'll take any suggestions.

Off the top of my head, liquid latex and actual sand? Maybe just apply a thin coat and while its still kind of wet put sand in it. I don't typically do makeup effects though, so I could be way off base there.

As for the hair, depending on how long your hair is you could do a finger wave to mimic it.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct....45921128,d.aWc

Good luck. It'll be awesome to see done. It's already looking great.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
Hey folks.

I'm doing my first semi-involved costume this year at SDCC with my brother and wanted to get some recommendations for body paint. We're just going to be painting our faces and arms, and were looking for something that wouldn't bleed from normal perspiration but could still be washed off at the end of the day with soap and water. I'm going to be yellow, and he purple. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good brand to use, or even any brands to stay away from?

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Ben Nye makes professional-quality body paint for actors that have to be under bright lights constantly. It's going to be more expensive than a tube of cheap poo poo from Party City, but it dries quickly and doesn't gunk up everything it touches. If you really want to go the extra distance I'd say get a sealer for the body paint so it doesn't flake after a few hours unless you feel like visiting the bathroom to reapply paint in thin/flaky spots.

If you do go the Party City route, you'll get a nice-sized tube for $5 but everything you brush against will be yellow or purple and it will sweat off easily.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
Having used Ben Nye several times to paint my face, I can't recommend it enough, and it really isn't too expensive since you can get multiple applications from one container of foundation. But you absolutely should seal your makeup with at least powder, though finishing with Final Seal is something I would encourage as well. You can substitue Final Seal with hairspray and I think you can use baby powder instead of translucent powder, but I typically use actual makeup products.

Sealing does wonders in waterproofing your makeup though. A friend of mine was splashed in the face with water while wearing full face makeup and none of it came off because she sealed it so well. It still comes off easily with makeup wipes or other removers, though.

You can also use PAX for your arms since Ben Nye might rub off, but it's much harder to remove as it is acrylic based makeup, so it might not be worth it to use depending on what your costume plans are. Just never use it on your face. It looks horrible and highlights every wrinkle and crease. And no matter what makeup you use, don't bother putting any on the palms of your hands. It will just rub off immediately and you'll enjoy actually being able to touch things without getting makeup everywhere.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
I've used Kryolan aquacolor in the past. It's a solid that you use with water and paint it on. It's really easy to apply, they sell a fixing spray as well, and it all washes off with soap and water. I decided against Ben Nye because I didn't like the texture of the stuff I tried. It felt really greasy and sticky going on, and they didn't have the shade of purple that I wanted anyway.

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!
My friend and I had matching Pikachu outfits at Animethon/Edmonton Expo last year:

I'm the one on the left :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

My perhaps oversimplified first attempt at Poison Ivy. The gloves I had would not stop slipping so I had to ditch them. This was my first time cosplaying, and perhaps Ivy was a bad choice. I was painfully aware of dudes snapping covert pictures of me.

Free Comic Book Day turned out to be cloudy and windy as hell, so after I refine this costume a bit I think a sunny photo shoot at the botanical garden is in order. I added more vines later, but got no pictures, as by then I was running around like mad getting pictures with people. I smile in those, I swear.

Highlight of my day: At one point a little girl shyly brought me a flower picked off a bush somewhere because I told her I love plants. So adorable. :3: