Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Sancho posted:

I think one really bad side effect of the economy on FV is you get the people who want to play dress up barbie really bad. People on the server generally don't work together so you have to maintain an ever changing friends list to get good groups. Most FVers would rather buy gear and sit in the guild lobby all day looking pretty than go out and group but they buy gear like mad and you can cash out on that server rather easily.

For many years there was a lot of rumors and conjecture about the leader of the #1 raid guild there, I think it was Fire & Fury. People said he had this massive RMT empire and made a living off of it. Theres a few articles out there maybe from IGN I think it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

If anyone wants a dose of awesome nostalgia, I found a way to play EQ's old MIDI tunes with them sounding amazing. The files containing the old music are called *.xmi, and are present in the EQ directory to this day. The XMI format is a form of "extended midi", which is basically a MIDI track that can contain multiple tunes in one. WinAmp can play them, for example, but the main problem is that Windows 7's default MIDI SoundFont (the bank of sounds that determine how the MIDI sounds) is poo poo beyond belief. To fix it, there are two methods:

1) Playing the XMI files in a player

Download XMPlay and the "MIDI input plugin", both found here: http://www.un4seen.com/xmplay.html

You now need two files:
"1mgm.sf2" - from http://p99.yourfirefly.com/1mgm.sf2 . This is a rip of the ROM from an old AWE32 sound card, back from the classic EQ era.
"synthusr.sf2" - from your EQ directory

Now unstall XMPlay. Launch XMPlayer, right click the title bar, click "Options and stuff"

Go to Plugins->Input, double click "MIDI (rev.12)"
With Bank 000 selected, click 'add' button, add the synthusr.sf2 file, then 1mgm.sf2. Make sure 1mgm.sf2 is on top.

Click Apply, then Close.

You can now drag .xmi files from the EQ directory to the XMPlayer playlist and enjoy the awesome tunes sounding glorious.
Right-click the next/previous buttons to skip between subsongs, and click the infomation window tabs to view a list of subsongs and samples if you wish.

2) Making all MIDI on your PC sound like this, including when it's played in today's EQ

Follow the instructions here: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81207

Note that to configure the BASSMIDI driver properly, you should also read this: http://kode54.net/bassmididrv/BASSMIDI_Driver_Installation_and_Configuration.htm

If you're on Vista or Windows 7, you will need to use an additional program to setup the driver properly, the section named "Additional Configuration Note for Windows Vista and Windows 7" near the bottom. I used the control panel applet called Putzlowitschs Vista MIDI Mapper linked there.

Furthermore, I also added the synthusr.sf2 file found in the EQ directory to the list of SoundFonts, although it will work without, but a few notes and sounds will be missing.

Enjoy! It's simply amazing so much good music EQ contains, I never realized. So much of it is never played or only played in very few places. Try listening to "mistmoore.xmi" for a surprise for example - it's filled with unique tracks that are never even used in the game.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

No More Heroes posted:

For many years there was a lot of rumors and conjecture about the leader of the #1 raid guild there, I think it was Fire & Fury. People said he had this massive RMT empire and made a living off of it. Theres a few articles out there maybe from IGN I think it was.

It wasn't rumour and conjecture, it is (was?) fact. The ogre behind the main baz banker and 10 or so various selling mules dotted around the baz selling top end gear along with the main trading character stood on one wall across from a banker, Exxy iirc. Once you had bought a thing or two from their operation (as has been pointed out a few times in the thread, for a looong time Fire & Fury were the only raiding scene on FV anywhere close to the top end of current expansions) you'd be offered alternate payment schemes, i.e. paypal for the decent Bazu augs or raid gear etc. Most raiders were also asked to give them first refusal on account sales when they were quitting.

Hell the joke about the ogre behind the banker was that the owner logged back in after a crash/maint so fast she appeared before the bankers did. Bimboku or something like that I think.

To be somewhat fair though, their prices were pretty reasonable compared to what a lot of other people were trying to charge.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
His name was Scarar and he was the guild leader of Fire and Fury.

It was a bizarre set up. The raiders in FnF got first dibs and nothing went missing until stuff started to pile up in the bank. Then it would just poof. The amount of raid gear sitting around when nothing rots is insane and missing pieces here and there would never be noticed.

I always found it odd how 50+ people were fine with this. I can only assume that the big names in the guild got a cut and anyone else could quit if they didn't like it. I also have no clue how he has gone 10+ years without being banned since it's no secret what he does and will discuss it in game with you without a problem.

I think his bot Exxy is still around selling stuff, but it's not like it used to be. FnF is actually pretty cool with the drops and if something doesn't go to a main it's sent to alts of guildies to use or sell. Fuvi is probably the best guild leader in any MMO I've played with so if you are on FV and want to raid, I can't recommend FnF enough.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pilsner posted:

Enjoy! It's simply amazing so much good music EQ contains, I never realized. So much of it is never played or only played in very few places. Try listening to "mistmoore.xmi" for a surprise for example - it's filled with unique tracks that are never even used in the game

I've always heard that there was a special track that played when you fight Mayong Mistmoore in Demiplane, I've searched high and low but haven't been able to find it anywhere, does anyone have this track extracted?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Anyone having issues with the login server? I logged on my first account and now it says the login server cannot be reached.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Anyone know how to disable the gamma from being manipulated by EQ? Whenever I start EQ up on any computer, the gamma gets changed and I have to override it via nvidia control panel on each computer. But each time EQ starts up it messes with the brightness and I have to override it again.

Anyone else have this problem?

I'm getting ready to put EQ on a few computers with large TVs (via exercise bikes) at the office and I don't want the gamma change to mess them up, as the gamma change can be pretty extreme sometimes.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Does anyone know if the anniversary events are done now? I thought it was supposed to run to mid-May.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Last I saw on the forums they are claiming they meant all along that only the quests that had problems with were going to run for extra time, they just didn't word it correctly. As you can imagine that's gone over like a lead balloon.

Their community operation has rarely risen above the level of mediocre, then again it's not like the rest of the MMO industry is any better.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I saw a Fabled mob up yesterday. How much longer will they be spawning? I still have to pick up a pet weapon for my SK, Bard, and Ranger.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Mitt Romney posted:

Anyone know how to disable the gamma from being manipulated by EQ? Whenever I start EQ up on any computer, the gamma gets changed and I have to override it via nvidia control panel on each computer. But each time EQ starts up it messes with the brightness and I have to override it again.

Anyone else have this problem?

I'm getting ready to put EQ on a few computers with large TVs (via exercise bikes) at the office and I don't want the gamma change to mess them up, as the gamma change can be pretty extreme sometimes.

WinEQ2 (basic is free) has an option to lock the gamma to the same as your desktop, outside of that; I havent ever found another way.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 29, 2013

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

RCarr posted:

I saw a Fabled mob up yesterday. How much longer will they be spawning? I still have to pick up a pet weapon for my SK, Bard, and Ranger.

No longer spawning, but any that were already spawned and haven't been killed won't go anywhere til a repop or server reset.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I know I missed the goon rush from the first quarter, but I'm gonna ask anyway (and just get MrDev telling me how stupid I was not to be playing earlier this year).

I'm at 81 now, when the game "gets real".

1. Can I solo / j5-molo (on Test) for worth anything to 95 (or is it 100 now...)? I've been boxing on Sleeper server, and it's "meh". I mean, it's neat, but I don't really wanna do it.
2. If I DID box, I guess I'd go with a shaman, since it pairs with monk so well. That being said, with just that much would I be good to go (with just a5 merc at that point, unless I can talk Dev into another j5 run...). But still, bleh to boxing and auto-follow issues. Like, enough to get the entry tier gear (next worthwhile is at 90 right, everyone skips 85?)
3. Do you continue to see big power boosts at 85-90-95 or whatever? at 81 I could check out a lot of old world content that I couldn't before, and that's probably my main goal - not necessarily clearing raid zones, but being able to fool around some.

I dunno if I'll hop back in yet again. I really really want to though for some reason.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

There is a huge power boost from 95-100 for chanters. Not sure about other classes but I would expect they got hooked up this last expansion.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

xZAOx posted:

1. Can I solo / j5-molo (on Test) for worth anything to 95 (or is it 100 now...)? I've been boxing on Sleeper server, and it's "meh". I mean, it's neat, but I don't really wanna do it.
2. If I DID box, I guess I'd go with a shaman, since it pairs with monk so well. That being said, with just that much would I be good to go (with just a5 merc at that point, unless I can talk Dev into another j5 run...). But still, bleh to boxing and auto-follow issues. Like, enough to get the entry tier gear (next worthwhile is at 90 right, everyone skips 85?)
3. Do you continue to see big power boosts at 85-90-95 or whatever? at 81 I could check out a lot of old world content that I couldn't before, and that's probably my main goal - not necessarily clearing raid zones, but being able to fool around some.

1&2. You can molo your way to 100, but you would be much better off adding a single box even if it's for nothing else besides buffs and the merc. I assume your autofollow issues are that they get stuck on everything and don't follow well? If so, go to advance options in the options window and set background fps to 30-60 and that should solve it.

3. Personally I would hit 92 and then go exploring older content. 92 lets you get exp in many awesome older places and more importantly you can get T1 gear from RoF which is extremely good for that level.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Continuing my classic level scheme, my new team is now level 56 and happily levelling in Old Sebilis. I went all the way down to Trakanon (not up) yesterday and took out the sebilite protector and Tolapumj. Good stuff, even got some sweet old loot like Knuckle Dusters, Peacebringer, Blood Ember and Deepwater plate. My levelling path so far has been:

1-12 Steamfont
12-22 Unrest
22-33 Mistmoore
33-50 Ocean of Tears
50-56 Old Sebilis

I'm actually convinced that you could go from level 1-55 in OOT if you wanted; the mob level spread there is so huge. I simply love these classic zones that were just there for no reason.

xZAOx posted:

I know I missed the goon rush from the first quarter, but I'm gonna ask anyway (and just get MrDev telling me how stupid I was not to be playing earlier this year).

I dunno if I'll hop back in yet again. I really really want to though for some reason.
1. Depends on your definition of worth. It will honestly be quite boring, slow and/or dangerous. I molo'd a Monk to the high 80's until I added a Shaman box, and it was the best thing I've done. All you can really do molo is grind boring trash mobs in older zones; you can't even start a mission alone (but you can with a box and one or two mercs), so the best you could do is enter HoT zones and hunt for named. It will be incredibly difficult and slow to molo (I assume you're using a Cleric merc) named or even basic trash in HoT Tier1, and you'd need to get to at least level 90 and kit yourself out in gear... until you can hunt for worse gear in Tier1. EQ still assumes that you've done the previous expansion until you can fight in the next one, although they have intentially made the entry-tier gear tradable so new players can catch up. If you were hypothetically alone in an empty server, it would be an insane feat to do HoT Tier1 at its intended level (85) for example, without outside sources of gear.

2. Yes, Shaman is the king of Monk boxes, I've played that box team for a long time. I would also slightly consider a Druid since teleports are so amazing, but you'd have to make do with Haste potions instead of shaman haste, and also forego slows, although honestly, I rarely use slows. You will also lose out on a bit of melee damage and hitpoints from the shaman buffs. If you're fine without ports, a Shaman is better. Auto-follow niggles doesn't really bother me, you learn to deal with its quirks. The only time it really stinks is under water.

Droppable gear tiers are lvl 80 for HoT T1, lvl 85 for VoA T1, then lvl 92 for RoF T1 visible and some non-visible.

3. It's fairly linear, but most people agree that mercs get a big boost at lvl 91, then it's linear again.

At level 81 with some HoT T1 gear you're free to roam the Classic -> Luclin world, although you might have a few issues if you go deep into Planes of Power or pull too many.

SolidMumu
Feb 23, 2012
I was wondering what most goons use for a MultiBox setup. Any programs you recommend or ISboxer the way to go still?
I've seen a few mentions about good group composition; I am thinking SDK/SHM/MAG. Any comments or suggestions?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

SolidMumu posted:

I was wondering what most goons use for a MultiBox setup. Any programs you recommend or ISboxer the way to go still?
I've seen a few mentions about good group composition; I am thinking SDK/SHM/MAG. Any comments or suggestions?
ISBoxer is leagues above the rest. WinEQ2 is a very basic alternative. Yet another alternative is making your own customer AHK scripts.

SHD/SHM/MAG sounds okay (SHD+SHM is perfect), although I would make a Wizard instead of the Magician for ports and a bit easier boxing. Not a bad word about magicians, but getting around with the SK who can't gate will be a hassle; teleporting in-group is so much nicer as you don't have to rely on AAs, gate potions, gate hammer, PoK stones or other stuff. Magicians are easy to box, although wizards are even easier, albeit perhaps a bit boring.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Pilsner posted:

ISBoxer is leagues above the rest. WinEQ2 is a very basic alternative. Yet another alternative is making your own customer AHK scripts.

SHD/SHM/MAG sounds okay (SHD+SHM is perfect), although I would make a Wizard instead of the Magician for ports and a bit easier boxing. Not a bad word about magicians, but getting around with the SK who can't gate will be a hassle; teleporting in-group is so much nicer as you don't have to rely on AAs, gate potions, gate hammer, PoK stones or other stuff. Magicians are easy to box, although wizards are even easier, albeit perhaps a bit boring.

If you are going to switch to wizard, you need to swap the shaman for a bard or druid. Having run both set ups, I much prefer the Mage/Shaman over the Wiz/Bard.. the running is a bit of a pain, but when it comes to sustained DPS, utility, and having a second tank for those oh poo poo moments the Mage wins hands down. Other people swear by the bard/druid/wiz combo on evil gamer though, so maybe I'm doing something wrong or I'm too lazy to play them right :)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Pilsner posted:

I guess I'm an idiot but I couldn't set up IS boxer for the life of me. It is very confusing for a first time user. I tried to just follow along step by step with a youtube video, as well as a written guide. But the program looked different than the video and when I followed the guide I would constantly hit dead ends where the guide says "click this button!" and the button does not exist on my screen. Just a heads up.

I found it MUCH easier to just set up a few macros on each toon. One for auto-following. One for assisting. One for buff rotation, and another for dpsing. Pretty simple stuff.

Edit: I would greatly appreciate if someone would mind walking me through ISboxer though. I assume I'm just missing some simple things and it's really not as hard as I'm making it out to be.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 30, 2013

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

RCarr posted:

I guess I'm an idiot but I couldn't set up IS boxer for the life of me. It is very confusing for a first time user. I tried to just follow along step by step with a youtube video, as well as a written guide. But the program looked different than the video and when I followed the guide I would constantly hit dead ends where the guide says "click this button!" and the button does not exist on my screen. Just a heads up.

I found it MUCH easier to just set up a few macros on each toon. One for auto-following. One for assisting. One for buff rotation, and another for dpsing. Pretty simple stuff.

Edit: I would greatly appreciate if someone would mind walking me through ISboxer though. I assume I'm just missing some simple things and it's really not as hard as I'm making it out to be.

One thing that messed me up for the longest time with ISBoxer was Innerspace. When you create a profile in ISBoxer with all the buttons doing what you want them to do, you right click the profile and export the thing to Innerspace.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Things to keep in mind for wiz vs. mage: Ports are useless in the current game due to RoF having built in portals that deposit you in every zone. They ARE really drat awesome up through HoT though.

Second, having a backup pet tank is amazing. There's a lot of stuff that's frankly better pet tanked if you're in group gear (see: Huge Mistake in Chelsith, where pet tanking means the pet's only eating the 22k hits from the named himself and avoids eating poo poo from the 6 adds that spawn who all hit for 12k each and are unmezzable). I'm using my necro pet to tank nearly all the nameds at this point over Kodaji just because it's so much easier.

On the flipside, wizards got a monster DPS upgrade with T3 and tower over mages on raw DPS now, but you have to make it to 100 before you start seeing the effects of that. Honestly I have a 95 of each and I don't play either cause I find them both horribly boring, but if I were going to pair one of the two with an SK/shm, it'd be the mage for sure

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

RCarr posted:

It is indeed a hosed up program written by a very incompetent person. It's doubly confusing at first that InnerSpace is what actually does what you want, and ISBoxer is merely a configuration GUI for InnerSpace. Totally stupid. This thread contains countless of guides and tips for ISBoxer, try searching for posts by me and MrTheDevious.

ISBoxer's greatest strength is that it can flawlessly send commands to background windows (specific, all, or a combination), meaning that you can make your boxes do stuff via hotkeys without swapping to them.

MrTheDevious posted:

Things to keep in mind for wiz vs. mage: Ports are useless in the current game due to RoF having built in portals that deposit you in every zone. They ARE really drat awesome up through HoT though.
Well, even if you can port to a specific zone-in point, there's still the matter of getting out again. I'm also huge on visiting older zones, doing epics, weird quests, etc., but I'm not sure what Malt's goal is of course.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

xZAOx posted:

You totally missed the fun goonrush :colbert:

1) Not as a monk. Nameds in VoA/RoF just plain hit too hard for a monk to molo unless he already vastly outgears the content. Without raid gear there's no chance of moloing RoF upgrades beyond the ones you can just buy in baz at 92.
2) Yes, though the new T3 zone nameds and half or so of the T2 nameds dumpster tank mercs. You'd definitely need the 2nd J5 merc though, a J5 and J1 just aren't gonna cut it in RoF. I have no idea who Dev is, but you can molo J5 with a monk at 90+ no problem, so no worries there.
3) 80 and 92 are the only two huge boosts. After 92 you're done with the big gear upgrades from group mobs. 92 you can buy in the baz though! 95 and 100 have the general power upgrade that comes from max level AA in an expansion, but there's really no boost in the game like defiant > abstruse at 80 is. I soloed anguish w/ my monk a couple weeks ago and she's still 92, but I had to click mask on OMM and pay attention, if that gives you an idea of monk solo power in older content

^^^ You get out the same way you came in! Anybody on Test in particular doesn't need a porting class for ports past HoT since we all have Throne AND infinite gate potions to go with RoF having portals to every one of its zones and connections to pretty much every VoA zone too. I really wish I'd started my necro before the wizard and not wasted all that time getting him to 95 only to dumpster him :(

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 30, 2013

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

MrTheDevious posted:

I have no idea who Dev is

You of course! MrTheDev.

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like if I want to continue on, I'd have to box up a shaman first. Not too bad a grind at least, since I remember everyone saying at around 600 AA they're good to go.

Did the goon rush stop at 100 for most guys? Is 80-100 about the same progression speed wise, or is there another "brick wall" feeling like 80 is (both a big power boost and an obvious "well this won't work anymore" for progression)?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

SolidMumu posted:

I took that trio to 80 with IsBoxer and it was really fun and easy until I burned out on the game again. Talisman of the Cougar/Lynx is just insanely powerful with the SDK + 3 pets and melee merc. I've always wondered why nobody talks much about that spell in this thread, does it get less powerful later in levels? It's a pain to keep up but seemingly well worth the effort because I only have time to get 1-2 nukes off per mob with my mage/shaman.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Do we have a list of who still plays on Test? Whenever I log in, I see a bunch of unfamiliar names and think most of them are people's boxes.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Andy Dufresne posted:

I took that trio to 80 with IsBoxer and it was really fun and easy until I burned out on the game again. Talisman of the Cougar/Lynx is just insanely powerful with the SDK + 3 pets and melee merc. I've always wondered why nobody talks much about that spell in this thread, does it get less powerful later in levels? It's a pain to keep up but seemingly well worth the effort because I only have time to get 1-2 nukes off per mob with my mage/shaman.
Hmm, I believe we've praised the Puma line spell a few times in here. It is indeed a great spell, although the most fun you can have with it is to cast the level 50 version Spirit of the Puma on a level 1 and go to town one shotting poo poo.

I have the group version ISBoxer-hotkeyed and usually cast it when I (Monk) is a few seconds from being back to the camp with a pull.

There are also some Type3 augs and focus effects at higher levels that make it last a tick more.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I'm still on there. My characters are

Juball/Warrior
Harshaw/Cleric
Morphaeus/Enchanter (all sitting at 80, waiting to start the 80+ leveling)

Also I have

Liebestod/SK
Rahneex/Druid
Ferenczy/Necro

who I may be on at any given time.

I'm not playing too seriously right now, mostly AFK leveling/AAing, but once I figure out how I want to handle post-80 I'll be leveling the Warrior/Cleric/Chanter

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Carl Seitan posted:

Do we have a list of who still plays on Test? Whenever I log in, I see a bunch of unfamiliar names and think most of them are people's boxes.

I'm Marshe and think I have all my boxes/alts labeled.

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

I'm Papanishagoe/Fullretard/Maimarees. Usually on daily powering through the shawl quests.

VenimeuxHaine
Mar 22, 2012
I'm Navrant/Numrume but I've been leveling a Mage for my group so I haven't been showing up in chat. Man are they boring compared to a SDK. My thoughts are to replace the shaman with the Mage, and throw on a bard I already have for a SHadowknight/Mage/bard group. I could instead throw in a necro or wizard for the Mage. I went Mage only because I've been hearing how strong the pet is. I have no intention to raid if that makes any difference.

Dermit
Mar 22, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

I'm Dermiticus/Telth/Dermancer/Derm(anythinggoeshere) in game. Been playing every day for a few weeks, but my highest is still my mage at 82. I spend way too much time on crappy alts :P

There aren't a ton of us who play, but by god, we're dedicated. I've yet to log in to an empty guild.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
My enchanter is still 92 and I got my druid/SK/bard trio up to 87 via blatant abuse of AFK mercing, but I kind of gave it up because nobody else was around. I really liked playing my enchanter and nobody else in groups with various people, but I hit 92, got into full 92 gear, and then hit a brick wall due possibly to VoA being utter shite.

I always laugh at myself due to the fact that I rolled an enchanter about a decade after they stopped being highly desirable for groups.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

At what level does camping your own gear start to be worthwhile? Is it pointless until 85+?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

RCarr posted:

At what level does camping your own gear start to be worthwhile? Is it pointless until 85+?
I would say you pretty much "have" to buy your way to a set of HoT T1 gear for a start. After that, if you gain enough levels and use J5 mercs, you could start dabbling in HoT T2 and above, or VoA T1. With 2-3 characters in full HoT T1, I would estimate you need level 91 to slowly begin HoT T2, and mid-90's for VoA T1. Some named are easy, others are tough.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Why do I have to buy the HoT T1 gear? The content is just too hard to handle at that level without sufficient gear? Is it not possible to progress through each expansion by camping your own group gear? I will be 3 boxing so I'll have a full group for all of it. I also have a 85 Monk with a J5 merc who can help out.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

RCarr posted:

Why do I have to buy the HoT T1 gear? The content is just too hard to handle at that level without sufficient gear? Is it not possible to progress through each expansion by camping your own group gear? I will be 3 boxing so I'll have a full group for all of it. I also have a 85 Monk with a J5 merc who can help out.

If you want to gear up yourself, which I did and think is more fun and gives you a goal to work towards, the progression is going to be Defiant > SoD T1 then T3 > HoT > VoA T1 > RoF T1. Honestly, only your tank needs the gear to go up to the next tier of armor for the most part. Levels/AA will be your limiting factor and if you are going to do SoD you will want a tracker because finding all those named up in Field of Scale is annoying without one. You will probably want to be 85 to farm that gear. Once you are able to kill your first named in Field of Scale the ball just kinda rolls from there.

Not sure if you are playing on test, but if you do run into a mission or named that you can't quite handle on your own feel free to ask for some help.

Edit: I forgot that making SoD armor requires T1-3 progression. Honestly that is a huge pain and you may want to get your tank HoT T1 gear and then just head to HoT at 86+ to gear your group.

Malt fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 1, 2013

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you for the info! I am indeed on Test, and I'm currently leveling a 3box team. They are only level 55 at the moment. I'm having fun leveling through all the old school zones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

SoD progression is really long and making the armor is too complex, then it leads in to UF, which was murder on group players at the time. So HoT offered an easy way to skip all that with its T1 armor.

If you were going to be spending 6-12 months in SoD, spending that much time on the armor might make sense, but if you're only gonna be in that range for weeks, it's a huge waste of time.

Oh, T1 SoD is just dropped. I was thinking of the later tiers SoD armor that get really complex http://rasper.samanna.net/SoD/VisGear.html