Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

NikkolasKing posted:

Anyway ImpAtom (and anyone else who cares), I'm curious - which of these RPGs would you say had the best story? I do value plot and characters more than just about any other aspect in a game, especially RPGs.

I'm interested in expanding my horizons beyond Final Fantasy and a good non-FF RPG with a great story seems like a nice way to start.

Since you mentioned not playing FFT, that's a good one to start off with, despite being a FF title.

I've always been fond of the Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma trilogy, where the plots go in interesting places, up to Terranigma which ends up having a pretty trippy story after a good chunk of the game, though that game's translation sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Since you mentioned not playing FFT, that's a good one to start off with, despite being a FF title.

I've always been fond of the Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma trilogy, where the plots go in interesting places, up to Terranigma which ends up having a pretty trippy story after a good chunk of the game, though that game's translation sucked.

If they announced tomorrow that they were doing a 3DS collection of the Blazer trilogy with updated translations I would seriously buy like five copies and just start handing them out. Even just a VC release would be great. :smith:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Speaking of TWEWY, how many of you actually managed to use both screens properly whilst in battle? I've got all the way up to Beat's chapter and I pretty much ignored the top screen the whole way, I found it loving impossible to actually co-ordinate doing both screens and passing the light puck appropriately.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Basically this, except I'd count maybe Tactics as well. it's be

1) DQ8
2) TWEWY
3) FF9
4) Legend of Dragoon Super Mario RPG then
5) FFT

EDIT: VVV Oh poo poo, I could have sworn that was a SE job. Okay then,

I like DQ8 but its pacing is really really terrible, enough for me to prefer a lot of other square games to it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Paperhouse posted:

Speaking of TWEWY, how many of you actually managed to use both screens properly whilst in battle? I've got all the way up to Beat's chapter and I pretty much ignored the top screen the whole way, I found it loving impossible to actually co-ordinate doing both screens and passing the light puck appropriately.

Just follow the Light Puck and you'll do fine for both screens.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Paperhouse posted:

I just mash the d-pad. Is there actually a single human being who can use both screens properly?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I just mash the d-pad. Is there actually a single human being who can use both screens properly?

Plenty, sure.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's one of those things where you wonder how you even struggled to do it once it clicks, but until it clicks it's the hardest thing ever.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Also it's entirely possible to get through the game mashing directional buttons and solely focusing on Neku. ESPECIALLY once you get Joshua.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

fount of knowledge posted:

Also it's entirely possible to get through the game mashing directional buttons and solely focusing on Neku. ESPECIALLY once you get Joshua.

This is how I did both the game and the postgame!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
When you're first starting out, it's usually easier to leave the game on Auto for the top screen so you can focus on learning how to use Neku and whatever pins you've picked for your deck. As the game progresses and you become more familiar with how to use Neku, it becomes easier to take your eyes off him for a second or two to check on his partner and maybe try to work their gimmick a bit before switching your focus back to Neku.

Getting stronger pins and better threads helps, too. Two Lightning Rooks, two Blue Blood Burns Blue, one strong physical psych, and one slot for whatever floats your boat can tear apart nearly anything in your path. :getin:

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Blue Blood Burns Blue

That thing was SO loving broken. I loved it, it melted those rear end in a top hat elephants really well.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 4, 2018

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Friendly Factory posted:

Is Final Fantasy Dimensions worth playing? Need an android game for when I'm doing work overseas this summer.

Absolutely.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Friendly Factory posted:

Is Final Fantasy Dimensions worth playing? Need an android game for when I'm doing work overseas this summer.

Gameplay-wise, it scratches an itch you've had since the SNES days.

Story-wise, well... do some eye exercises to protect yourself from all of the rolling they'll be doing.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Coughing Hobo posted:

Gameplay-wise, it scratches an itch you've had since the SNES days.

Story-wise, well... do some eye exercises to protect yourself from all of the rolling they'll be doing.

The story isn't even really that bad, but it's definitely a hard throwback to a very certain period of time for Final Fantasy. The only part of the story that I thought was just plain bad was Alba. Always Alba.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Levantine posted:

The story isn't even really that bad, but it's definitely a hard throwback to a very certain period of time for Final Fantasy. The only part of the story that I thought was just plain bad was Alba. Always Alba.

Alba the All-consumingly Awful! :v:

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Levantine posted:

I'm only partway in, but the story is really just there as opposed to being an integral part of the experience like the SNES games. The FFV LP just got to the Forest of Moore, so vets know what happens there; I find myself doubting an event of similar emotional impact in Dimensions.

None of this matters because the story is just an excuse to shuffle eight characters around a medley of different ability sets and combinations with pretty graphics and music. This is not a bad thing.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Levantine posted:

It's definitely not bad, but I've been doing a lot of eye-rolling at the stupid contrivances the story takes that only Square seems to want to keep hold of.

Except Alba. Fuckin' Alba.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Yes, when I said a certain period of time I was more talking the NES days :v: It really is on par with something like Final Fantasy III, storywise. Except fuckin' Alba! Goddamn what were they thinking?

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

It's almost June! And I am so pumped for the ff5 4job fiesta, I did it for the first time last year and had a blast and have been looking forwards to this years ever since. I mean I could recreate the challenge at any time with a fresh file and an RNG of some sort but I also loved the everyone else doing their runs and sharing stories. I've got a couple of extra friends doing it with me as well this year so I am pretty psyched! I did regular mode last year so I'm debating whether to do hard mode or zerker risk this year too.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I'm actually half-heartedly penning together an OP for an eventual Fiesta thread, but I'd really need someone to contribute art for it, since I have about as much artistic talent as a team of four Berserkers has strategic talent. :v:

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
I am so glad I'm not the only one who thinks Alba is ridiculous.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I thought that they were actually going to do something with her character, but I was wrong.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Because I've never played FFD, what's so bad about Alba?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Booky posted:

Because I've never played FFD, what's so bad about Alba?

She constantly breaks the 4th wall in really, really lame an uncreative ways and offers nothing to the story or progression of the plot except to annoy you with how clever she is. For a game dominated by 7 non characters she stands out for being insufferable in her very limited dialog.

Not that it really matters because she's the best offensive caster you'll get in the game so her poo poo will get ignored in favor of dual-cast meteor ruining every boss.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

She also speaks in the third person with increasingly dumb suffixes to her name, like Alba the Magimagnificent or some poo poo.

Also offensive magic blows in FFD so bench her stupid rear end as soon as the story lets you. :colbert:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
So Mama Robotnik of NeoGAF uncovered the lost art of FFIX, which was basically multiple backgrounds before they were downgraded to the 320x240 resolution of the PS1 release. You can check it out here. For what is essentially the most artistic and visually fascinating game in the franchise, this is worth checking out.

There's an absolute fuckton of detail totally obscured that is now in all of its glory.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!

Azure_Horizon posted:

So Mama Robotnik of NeoGAF uncovered the lost art of FFIX, which was basically multiple backgrounds before they were downgraded to the 320x240 resolution of the PS1 release. You can check it out here. For what is essentially the most artistic and visually fascinating game in the franchise, this is worth checking out.

There's an absolute fuckton of detail totally obscured that is now in all of its glory.

Thanks for this link. Those images are fantastic.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

That looks amazing, but if they wanted to do a proper re-release it would have to be even higher res.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Azure_Horizon posted:

You can check it out here.

Man, these don't even look like pre-renders. They look like motherfuckin' paintings.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

If Square didn't flush all their source code and art assets down the toilet every time they finished a game, then we'd have some sweet HD versions of these games already.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

That loving Sned posted:

If Square didn't flush all their source code and art assets down the toilet every time they finished a game, then we'd have some sweet HD versions of these games already.

Seriously what is up with that? Apparently they had to redo sections of FFX when they wanted to re-release it because they somehow managed to "lose" parts of their game that sold millions of units

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My guess? Someone high level who wants to save money on hard drive/server storage.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Seriously what is up with that? Apparently they had to redo sections of FFX when they wanted to re-release it because they somehow managed to "lose" parts of their game that sold millions of units

It seemed like a strictly Japanese thing; I've heard many times over about games not getting re-releases because the developers simply don't have the source code anymore. I don't think that's the case anymore, but Square and Capcom were pretty legendary for that practice. See: Final Fantasy Collection and Anthology for PS1 and the Mega Man Collection for Gamecube, where the games were just ROMs running in emulators instead of being recompiled to run natively on the console.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

The White Dragon posted:

Man, these don't even look like pre-renders. They look like motherfuckin' paintings.

The CG renders of statues look like stuff we see today, it's mindbogglingly beautiful.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Azure_Horizon posted:

This is incredible. You've made my night. I had no idea that the original backgrounds were that much more detailed, I'd happily buy prints of some of those. The concept art of Lindblum reminds me of a Studio Ghibli film.

Zonko_T.M. fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Holy gently caress :aaaaa:
Thanks for the link!

That background art is amazing.

Blank has eyes, holy poo poo!