Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

SteviaFan420 posted:

Can someone recommend me a 27" Glossy monitor that is good for gaming? The dell 27" is matte and I think the viewsonic VP2770 is also matte.

The monoprice screens are glossy I believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Apparently the guy in this dell thread had the same issue with his monitor: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/p/19332206/19696295.aspx

I know it shouldn't matter but based on the feedback from the Dell rep have you tried making sure that that the monitor is plugged into the DL DVI-D port on the 690? According to the specs for the 690 there are two DL DVI-I ports and one DL DVI-D port on back.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I have tried just about every possible combination of outputs on the card. If it was the port on the card it would happen on the other monitors. The more I delve into it the more I'm convinced it's just a shortcoming of the now 6 year old monitor. One of these weekends I'm gonna snag my hp 30 from work and swap it out with the dell and see if the issue goes away.

Ya, even reading through that dell thread it seems to be an issue with the monitor not having an internal scaler. Ah well.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

veedubfreak posted:

I have tried just about every possible combination of outputs on the card. If it was the port on the card it would happen on the other monitors. The more I delve into it the more I'm convinced it's just a shortcoming of the now 6 year old monitor. One of these weekends I'm gonna snag my hp 30 from work and swap it out with the dell and see if the issue goes away.

Ya, even reading through that dell thread it seems to be an issue with the monitor not having an internal scaler. Ah well.
You still haven't answered my question. If you have just that monitor plugged in, can it do 2560x1600? That's the easiest way to figure out if it's the monitor.

ToastyX
Mar 15, 2004
N
yaaarrr!

veedubfreak posted:

Well I've asked pretty much every where else, might as well ask here also.

I have a GTX 690 and 3 30" monitors.
1 is an old HP Lp3065 and the card sees it as native 2560x1600
1 is a new Dell u3011 and the card sees it as native 2560x1600
1 is an old Dell 3007 and the loving card sees it as native 1280x800 yet will still display to it properly at 2560x1600.

Due to this weird glitch with what the card thinks is the native resolution, I can not get the nvidia surround to span to all 3 monitors. Has anyone run into this sort of thing before? Is there some sort of internal scaler that the monitor uses that confuses the driver? Is there anyway to make the monitor show up as native 2560x16000?
It says the native resolution is 1280x800 because that's what the monitor reports as the primary resolution. They probably did that to make it default to 1280x800 so it would display properly when connected with a single-link DVI cable. That shouldn't be a problem by itself, but NVIDIA Surround can be stupid about monitors that don't match exactly. Some people had trouble with monitors where the sync polarities didn't match, which shouldn't even matter.

You can use my Custom Resolution Utility to override that information. 1280x800 is probably listed as the first detailed resolution for the 3007. You want 2560x1600 to be the first. You can select a resolution and use the arrow buttons to move them around.

Even better, remove all the resolutions except 2560x1600 and make sure the extension block is disabled so there's no confusion about which resolutions to use. Do this for all the monitors to make them match. To make this easier, you can just import this file for each monitor: http://www.toastyx.net/2560x1600.bin

After you're done editing, click OK to save the changes, and reboot. Then you should be able to enable NVIDIA Surround properly.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Is there a verdict on the Monoprice monitors? I crt+f'd the OP, didn't see much.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10489&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10235&seq=1&format=2

I am seriously considering popping the cash for one(or two of the 2560x1440)

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I tried out the 30 inch and ended up returning it. It's way too bright and there was no way to adjust the backlight. The brightness and contrast controls worked but were barely noticeable because the backlight was set pretty drat high and unfortunately did not have a way to adjust it. The buttons are also on the back of the monitor so its a bit awkward reaching around to use the menu and turn the monitor on/off. The monitor swiveled a bit too easily on my stand as well. Maybe I got a lemon but I didn't want to deal with go through a few of them to find a decent one so I just returned it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

So I'm finally in a position to overhaul my computer setup, I just bought a spacious new curved corner desk, and now I'm looking to finally upgrade my monitor. I plan to upgrade from a single samsung 22" 1680x1050, to two at least 24" screens mounted on a couple ergotron arms.

Now, what I'm laboring about is whether to go for 2 of those wacky 27" cheap korean monsters, or settle on a couple 24" 1920x1200 samsung monitors. I've been doing a lot of research lately all over but completely forgot about SH/SC here. I've read through the OP and related posts I could find in here about the various korean cheapo's, however going back 20 pages and doing a search I found some mention of the QNIX QX2700 evolution 2, but no one here has seemed to mention the QNIX QX Evolution 2 II (great name there guys). So I'm wondering if anyone here as any experience with this one?:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/27-QNIX-...0d03ecf76#payId

From the little bit I can find elsewhere online it looks like its fairly new to the family of cheap korean 27" (or maybe i'm wrong). Though I'm aware it has the big downside that i'd have to open up the case to remove the stand entirely.

My broader question, that I guess I can't really expect an answer on (but i'll ask anyways) is if people here think its worth going for the larger but messier off brand korean ones over something more known but smaller. Keeping in mind i'm aware of, and ok with a cheap build quality, no osd, and being a bit flimsy, provided its not going to break on me in a week, or be somehow unusable/containing a major visual defect. I'm not a massive gamer, so I'm more interested in them for having a massive amount of desktop and workspace.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

ToastyX posted:

It says the native resolution is 1280x800 because that's what the monitor reports as the primary resolution. They probably did that to make it default to 1280x800 so it would display properly when connected with a single-link DVI cable. That shouldn't be a problem by itself, but NVIDIA Surround can be stupid about monitors that don't match exactly. Some people had trouble with monitors where the sync polarities didn't match, which shouldn't even matter.

You can use my Custom Resolution Utility to override that information. 1280x800 is probably listed as the first detailed resolution for the 3007. You want 2560x1600 to be the first. You can select a resolution and use the arrow buttons to move them around.

Even better, remove all the resolutions except 2560x1600 and make sure the extension block is disabled so there's no confusion about which resolutions to use. Do this for all the monitors to make them match. To make this easier, you can just import this file for each monitor: http://www.toastyx.net/2560x1600.bin

After you're done editing, click OK to save the changes, and reboot. Then you should be able to enable NVIDIA Surround properly.

I'll give this a try when I get home. I was trying a different program that allows you to create custom monitor.inf files, but Windows8 gets all pissy if you try to use a nonsigned driver.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Tom Guycot posted:

My broader question, that I guess I can't really expect an answer on (but i'll ask anyways) is if people here think its worth going for the larger but messier off brand korean ones over something more known but smaller.

The 30 inch panel from monoprice is 750, and you can find dell 3011's for the 1,000 range. The price gap isn't big enough to make sense to me.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

zer0spunk posted:

The 30 inch panel from monoprice is 750, and you can find dell 3011's for the 1,000 range. The price gap isn't big enough to make sense to me.

If you keep an eye out on the dell outlet you can usually pick up a refurb 30" for around 800.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Tom Guycot posted:

My broader question, that I guess I can't really expect an answer on (but i'll ask anyways) is if people here think its worth going for the larger but messier off brand korean ones over something more known but smaller. Keeping in mind i'm aware of, and ok with a cheap build quality, no osd, and being a bit flimsy, provided its not going to break on me in a week, or be somehow unusable/containing a major visual defect. I'm not a massive gamer, so I'm more interested in them for having a massive amount of desktop and workspace.
It kind of depends exactly how much you think the savings is worth.

If all you want is a crazy big monitor on a budget, then I see nothing wrong with it. I have heard people who loved their decision to go that way.

On the other hand, as others are mentioning, the price gap isn't as big as it seems, especially if you wait for a sale, and it comes with peace of mind of at least some quality control and usually better warranty solutions. I also know plenty of people who went for the Korean panel and eventually regretted their decision. You might think a flimsy stand, the need to use software solutions for color corrections or resolution scaling, and issues with color uniformity or backlight bleeding aren't deal-breakers for you - until you start staring at and using applications on the thing for hours out of every day.

If you do want to go for it, though, I would strongly suggest going with a reseller in North America like Monoprice, for peace of mind that if there is immediately some issue with the product you aren't stuck shipping and insuring the monitor back to Korea at your own expense or getting into an email argument with an ebay seller.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Just for a little more insight into spending big bucks on a monitor. I bought my u3011 from Microsoft back in December and when I got it, it had 1 bright pixel. Well, you might be thinking, that's not that huge of a deal, until you realize you just spent a grand on a defective monitor. Well I chatted up Dell support and had a brand new monitor, which had a 1 year newer manufacturing date on it sitting on my doorstep 2 days later. The premium pixel guarantee is pretty drat sweet, just have to catch them on sale.

Also, with the cheaper monitors, even if you do get them to replace it, odds are you're going to be eating the 50 bucks or so to ship it back.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
That was a big part of the reason I passed on a Korean panel, if absolutely ANYTHING goes wrong you're going to be stuck holding the bag, dealing with a time-consuming headache, being gouged for shipping costs, and spending weeks or months without a monitor you've already paid in full for, only to be awarded the exact same chance for defect you had in the first place.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Every ultrasharp monitor has a 3 year door to door coverage on it for pretty much anything that goes wrong. And they'll get you a new monitor within 2 days (not business, 2 days). I had ordered a 2211h and about a week after it just died on a Saturday. After a short call with dell, they shipped me a new one. Monday morning at 6am UPS/FedEx was at my door with a replacement and said they'd be back tomorrow for the pickup as long as it was left outside.

You really cannot beat that, the extra price that dell charges on their monitors is worth it for peace of mind for a minimum of 3 years, plus their monitor stands are generally pretty kickass short of getting something fancy by itself. They're really a bargain. I've had a 2007FP for 6 years now, and aside from some minor backlight failing, it works still.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Thanks for all the advice. I still feel like i want to risk it, the big draw being that i can get 2 of those, for cheaper than i can find one of something like the dell's here in australia. However this might just be me being a total idiot, and my eyes glazing over at the idea of having a 27" dual monitor setup in my price range at the moment. Does anyone know a good place to look for something like the dell u2711 in australia that isn't going to run almost 700 bucks or more? Or even places to keep an eye on for sales. I think I would be willing to pick up one of those, and grab another later down the road if I could just find one that was coming in at least at something like, $600.

I dunno. I have some friends calling me an idiot for wanting those off brand ones, that they'll die in a week, and others telling me to go for its a great deal and they work just fine.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Here's another negative to consider - you could get two panels of the same model that have a noticeable color difference between them.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I bought two Korean panels, months apart, different makes, from different vendors. Both are perfect and the colors are very close together. The only problem I have had is that the mount I bought for one of them presses on the back and it makes a funny sound if I angle it too harshly - but I imagine that's an issue with the mount.

Probably picking up a third in a few months.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Here's another negative to consider - you could get two panels of the same model that have a noticeable color difference between them.
I thought the whole appeal of the Korean monitors was that they are using the same panel as the more expensive name brand models. If so, how is this an issue with the Koreans but not the name brands?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Splinter posted:

I thought the whole appeal of the Korean monitors was that they are using the same panel as the more expensive name brand models. If so, how is this an issue with the Koreans but not the name brands?
Dells are color calibrated by an engineer before they're shipped out. You even get a nice printout.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Considering the price of the higher quality Korean panels are already at around $400, you're better off getting the Auria from Microcenter for $400 (and it comes with DisplayPort and HDMI!).

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Tom Guycot, I have had ultrasharps for a few years now and seriously as other have mentioned if you wait for a sale then you can find them for a decent price (not too sure if this is applicable in Australia but have seen them go on sale in canada so don't think it is just a USA thing). On top of that that, the warranty is awesome. After you contact them they ship you a monitor and in about 1-2 business days its at your door. You throw the defective one in the same box, slap on the label they provide, send off and enjoy new monitor.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005JN9310

Pretty darn good deal on Dell UltraSharp 24 (at 1920x1200!!!!). Here's the weirdo text they have on the merchants page:

quote:

48HR SALE***REG Price $369***Sale Ends 5/3/13 1:01PM EST hurry up before it's gone***In stock SHIPES FROM AMAZON FAST ***NO TAX*** Latest Revision *** 30 days FULL REFUND E-Z Returns - Dell UltraSharp U2412M *** 3YR DELL Warranty Advanced Exchange

GuyIncognito!
Dec 5, 2008
Hey, so, what is the difference between the dell u2711 and the u2713? the u2713 looks like its cheaper. is it just an older modle or something?

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
There are two U2713 models: the U2713H and U2713HM. The U2713H has wide gamut support and a bunch of hardware calibration features while the U2713HM is a more basic version without the wide gamut and hardware calibration support.

Either way, both monitors are better than the U2711. Unless wide gamut really matters, the U2713HM will have better contrast and a less obstructive antiglare coating. U2713H is more expensive but is a more serious colour-accurate monitor since it has hardware calibration support that the U2711 doesn't have.

jeffreyw fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 2, 2013

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

There's no reason to get the U2713H if you don't want wide gamut. It's actually worse than the HM at everything else (except touch sensitive OSD controls, OH BOY) and costs like 250+ dollars more.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Thanks for the input. I've found a place in australia I can pick up a U2713HM for 599. I figure I'll get one of those, then in a month or so (or when I see them on sale) pick up another. I'm still tempted by the 320 dollar korean screen, but I'm just too worried about putting down close to 700 all told for something that feels like a roll of the dice on weather one (or both) will fizzle apart or have major defects.

incidentally, what is a good sale price for one of those dell screens and where should I keep my eyes open for a sale?

Vulpix
Nov 23, 2000

It is my opinion that your favorite anime sucks.
Anyone here bought the Qnix QX2700 Evolution II that are supposedly Samsung PLS panels?

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

Thanks for the input. I've found a place in australia I can pick up a U2713HM for 599. I figure I'll get one of those, then in a month or so (or when I see them on sale) pick up another. I'm still tempted by the 320 dollar korean screen, but I'm just too worried about putting down close to 700 all told for something that feels like a roll of the dice on weather one (or both) will fizzle apart or have major defects.

incidentally, what is a good sale price for one of those dell screens and where should I keep my eyes open for a sale?

In Australia? About $560 when they have 30% sales.

Kogan also sells one of those 2560x1440 screens but for $100 more, you might as well go with the Dell just because the Dell has better warranty and is definitely using better parts rather than simply re-badging one of those cheap 2560x1440 monitors you were looking at.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

jeffreyw posted:

In Australia? About $560 when they have 30% sales.

dang. yeah i guess i'll definitely pick one up at 599 then.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

kuddles posted:

So for any Canadian goons, Dell isn't even promoting it on their sales page but the U2713HM is currently priced at $599. I was already considering it so that was the push I needed.
So I've been fooling around with this thing for a few days and have the following thoughts coming from someone who is mostly using it for gaming, internet stuff and light work related tasks.

- Big box! No dead pixels at all. The backlight bleed is a little heavier than I would have liked, but honestly it isn't egregious enough to make me want to go through the hassle of the exchange process.

- I don't know if it's the backlighting, the improved quality or the newer, less intrusive form of anti-glare coating, but this thing makes the colors on my U2411 look dull and drab by comparison. The image pops in a way I've never seen before on a non-glossy display.

- I'm still getting used to the ridiculous amount of free space on my desktop or how small some webpages look. Text still seems big enough and easy to read. I also do a lot of work that involves having several documents open at once and comparing them or working between them, so this is making that task so much easier.

- I do not notice any input lag as far as I can tell, so that's a relief.

- Probably the most negative feelings I had were basically the thing I feared: The bump in resolution compared to everything not implicitly made for that resolution. It reminds me of the 720p video content that looked spectacular on my 37" television that now on my 55" one distracts me with it's color banding and occasional artifacting. Any game that's very recent and had special attention to PC features (such as an HD texture pack) still looks great. Anything not in that boat - the weaknesses stand out much more. Ironically, it's more distracting on newer games because of the transition period we are in, so I'm more likely to notice the mix of sharp and clear textures interspersed with blurrier ones, as opposed to everything having a very similar look. A couple games I ran looked fine but the menus and HUD elements looked pixellated. This is probably something I'll just get used to but I was considering replaying NOLF 2 in the near future and now I'm wondering if I should play it in a window lest I have the experience ruined. 1080p video looks fine on it, though.

- Several hardware/gaming forums I read beforehand gave me the impression that SLI was a given for me but now I'm thinking otherwise. I can see myself always needing the high-end solution (I totally see myself getting the GTX 780 or Titan LE or whatever and then immediately upgrading to the GTX 880 the next year), but I might not need the horsepower I thought. I have a GTX 670 (albeit factory overclocked and with an alternate cooling option) and it seemed to keep up with most games quite well. If anything, I have a feeling the higher resolution removes my older CPU being a bottleneck, because on some titles the benchmark result was almost identical to running at 1080. The only two games that I could not have on the highest possible settings at the 1440p resolution if I wanted a framerate that stayed above 30 were Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3, which was expected. This combined with the fact that on newer titles at least the difference between 2xAA and 4xAA was minimal (not to mention that traditional AA is sometimes not an option these days anyways), I don't think I'll need to break the bank as much as I thought.

To be quite honest, I did not have the immediate super-positive impression that I did when I went to a 24" monitor or a larger television. I certainly like more of my peripheral vision being filled and I can already see how this can assist with having multiple documents open at once or similar tasks that require multiple windows. But it didn't feel like the astronomical difference that maybe I set myself up for. That said, I'm on day three and I think I am growing accustomed to the change.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Would it be weird to use 2 27" as side monitors for a center 30"? Would the screens not lining up drive me up a wall?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

fookolt posted:

Would it be weird to use 2 27" as side monitors for a center 30"? Would the screens not lining up drive me up a wall?

That depends on who you ask. Myself, I have a 27", 24", and 20", and I have no problem with the disparity. Also, you won't be able to do gaming across all three, if you were thinking of doing that.

I'd be more worried about having the desk space for 3 huge monitors though.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

fookolt posted:

I use 3 differently sized monitors, one has a different resolution than the other two, it doesn't bug me, but it bugs some other people (who see my office).

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012
I irrationally support inferior conflict CPU's and refute any benchmarks presented to me because of "reasons".

If I'm giving PC advice, you should probably just ignore me.
My monitor jsut died, Lizzard jokes asside

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Perfect-...#ht_11178wt_906

it claims no dead pixels... should i take the plunge?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
The stand looks exactly like the one on my Crossover 27QD - I got mine from Accessories Whole so perhaps take a look at their store. Not heard of the Xstar brand before.

Also AW promise no more than 3 dead pixels even on their non Pixel Perfect ones - mine matches that.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
I hope this isn't the wrong thread for this, but I don't think it's worth it's own thread. Has anybody ever tried any of these products or techniques for repairing scratches on an LCD monitor?

I was moving yesterday and my fairly brand new dell 24 inch got some damage. One pretty light streak and a kinda deep short one. Is there really anyway to fix it? Or am I screwed and have to just deal with it or buy a new monitor?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

If it's not to the transistor layer it's going to be a pain in the rear end to fill in and a bigger one if it's got AG coating of any kind (I don't even know if they make repair products for display glass), so it'll probably be noticeable for the rest of the monitor's life. Also display glass isn't exactly auto glass so it'll probably be weaker there too.

If it IS to the transistor layer you're not getting the picture there back without a new one.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Xeom posted:

I hope this isn't the wrong thread for this, but I don't think it's worth it's own thread. Has anybody ever tried any of these products or techniques for repairing scratches on an LCD monitor?

I was moving yesterday and my fairly brand new dell 24 inch got some damage. One pretty light streak and a kinda deep short one. Is there really anyway to fix it? Or am I screwed and have to just deal with it or buy a new monitor?

You're probably hosed. That said, why the hell didn't you keep the box? I still have the box for my 2007wfp (let alone my u2410) so it won't get hosed when I move..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Cross posting from the parts thread, but I've been scouring the net, but can't find a clear answer to my question:

I've been commissioned to build an HTPC that will be able to provide 4k content to a Sony 4k TV (XBR-65X900A). The TV does not have DisplayPort, just HDMI connections. HDMI specs suggest that HDMI 1.4 should support 4k at 30 hz. Unfortunately it's not very clear as to which video cards will successfully drive this resolution. Nvidia's specs say anything under a GTX 690 won't do it, but I have a feeling that isn't true.

There are some accounts of people saying as long as a video card supports HDMI 1.4 it will work.

I'm not too excited to drop a grand on a video card just to do 4k. Does anyone know for a fact which chipsets support 4k resolution over HDMI 1.4?

Also, in related 4k news have any of you guys taken the plunge for one of these suckers: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7674736&CatId=4717

They're going for cheaper on ebay as well. Lots of discussion about them in other forums, and they seem to be very pleased.