Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'll spoil this on the off chance someone is still going through the early part of Fables and enjoying speculation about a more awesome choice of Adversary:

That may have seemed novel to you, but I've read about two dozen "evil Peter Pan" stories. The concept is so inherently sinister that it seems like everyone goes, "Hey, maybe Peter Pan is actually a bad guy!" If it had turned out that way I would have rolled my eyes; the character it turned out to be was a much better choice though I think the build up and reveal could have been handled better.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009
So Marvel is doing colour Essentials as "Epic Collections." Whats the verdict on the stories in the Thor and Iron Man books? IM 158-177 and Thor 383-400.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

LCQC posted:

So Marvel is doing colour Essentials as "Epic Collections." Whats the verdict on the stories in the Thor and Iron Man books? IM 158-177 and Thor 383-400.

Iron Man is the start of the Stane storyline and Jim Rhodes as Iron Man

What is the best way to read INVISIBLES? Get the omnibus, monthlies, or the trades?

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 21, 2013

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Anyone know if the last Punisher MAX run (by Jason Aaron) is going to be collected in a hardcover? The Garth Ennis stuff was all bundled together but the series ended last year and there are only TPBs out.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

bobkatt013 posted:

What is the best way to read INVISIBLES? Get the omnibus, monthlies, or the trades?

Trades. The omni is immense and having read the letters in the monthlies I don't think they add much if any value. You also might not like it, in which case the trades will let you stop instead of committing ~$100 for the omni.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 21, 2013

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

bobkatt013 posted:

According to the latest collected editions news release from DC, there are also Deluxe HCs on the way later on this year or early next year.

Personally, the omnibus is just too big for me so I stuck with the trades. Might upgrade to the Deluxes when they come out. With the monthlies you do get the letters pages though and they are occasionally worth a read.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
About to pull the trigger on the Secret Warriors and X-Statix Omnibus. Good call or no?

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

About to pull the trigger on the Secret Warriors and X-Statix Omnibus. Good call or no?

I don't care much for Secret Warriors (though I'm sure a lot of goons would swear by it). X-Statix is still one of the best things that mainstream comics have ever published.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I actually like X-Statix more than Morrison's New X-Men in a lot of ways :shobon:

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I actually like X-Statix more than Morrison's New X-Men in a lot of ways :shobon:

At the very least it's infinitely more cohesive.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
There's a Hawkeye OSHC listed on Amazon along with the Hickman FF omni. I pre-ordered, it was like $23.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The art, for one - it's actually well-drawn pretty much 100% of the time! They even got Paul Pope to do an issue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

X-Statix is fantastic. Secret Warriors was good, but it was abundantly clear Hickman was rushed when they cut the series short.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

If I recall, Tom B said Hickman outlined for 60 issues, so we basically got half of the story.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Adam Strange posted:

The art, for one - it's actually well-drawn pretty much 100% of the time! They even got Paul Pope to do an issue.

It's incredible. The while series is like a who's who of respected artists. The omnibus is worth its price just to flip through.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Alright then! Got the X-Statix brand new for $39, Secret Warriors (because I like everything of Hickman's I've read and can't wait for the FF omni), and the Morrison Action Comics Vol 1 hardcover. A good ol' haul.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
X-Force, just before the switch the X-Statix, was what got me into comic books. The cover of issue 128 and the art within sold me on the form. Discovering that every artist isn't Mike Allred was something of a blow.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I demand an explanation as to why these ludicrous Omnibus discounts don't apply in the UK :mad:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wachter posted:

I demand an explanation as to why these ludicrous Omnibus discounts don't apply in the UK :mad:

Diamond doesn't have warehouses in the UK that they can charge Marvel a storage fee on.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Wachter posted:

Just order from Amazon.com. Their cheapish shipping combined with the exchange rate makes it worth your while, and while they claim Economy shipping takes about a month you'll usually have your package within about 10 days. I've used the USA site whenever Marvel UK's crappy editions have meant the proper US editions aren't stocked on Amazon UK.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.
Just pulled the trigger on the X-Statix omni and the Byrne FF omni for $32 each. Thank god for Amazon.

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!
My X-Statix omni came in the mail today. Send help :(

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I think I'm gonna be all over that Hawkguy hardcover in a bad way.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

7744 posted:

My X-Statix omni came in the mail today. Send help :(

Whatever you're reading, put it to the side and read that poo poo pronto.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Anyone know if the last Punisher MAX run (by Jason Aaron) is going to be collected in a hardcover? The Garth Ennis stuff was all bundled together but the series ended last year and there are only TPBs out.

I've been looking out for this and nothing has materialized yet. It's kind of weird to be honest, the run was great and they even collected his Ghost Rider stuff in omnibus format shortly after he finished it. I'm feeling like I need to hurry up and just get the HCs because as the Punisher Ennis situation shows, Marvel is completely content to let those go OOP.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I just ordered the Doctor Strange Masterworks V.5, is V.4 necessary at all? I don't really have that much experience with the character but I have heard good things about the crazy psychedelic art from this era.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

sporklift posted:

I just ordered the Doctor Strange Masterworks V.5, is V.4 necessary at all? I don't really have that much experience with the character but I have heard good things about the crazy psychedelic art from this era.

The stuff in Masterworks v4 is probably the most skippable chunk of Dr. Strange stories from the era. That covers a brief period where they tried to make Dr. Strange into a standard superhero (the blue face era) and a really rambling Lovecraft pastiche where the storyline went through about four different writers in five issues. Right after this things improve dramatically as Englehart takes over and they do the Shuma-Gorath storyline. And that volume contains the first storyline of the 1974 series which is what made me love the character.

You chose wisely.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 24, 2013

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I also picked up Marvel Masterworks: Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Volume 3 because drat those Steranko covers are awesome. Snagged both for under $25 each. Will these make good stand alone volumes? I don't really want to go down the MMW road much more. poo poo is expensive yo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A big box full of Absolutes is goddamn heavy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

A big box full of Absolutes is goddamn heavy.

Dude, I have to move in three weeks into a 3rd floor apartment. Don't you cry about one little box.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Dude, I have to move in three weeks into a 3rd floor apartment. Don't you cry about one little box.
I'm in the middle of moving. Hence the box of Absolutes. (Granted, it is not a third floor apartment.)

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Endless Mike posted:

I'm in the middle of moving. Hence the box of Absolutes. (Granted, it is not a third floor apartment.)

I gave away about 2 linear feet of hardcovers last week. Already starting to purge and I'm not moving til the end of July. Of course, that's not much of a dent yet. :smith: Or maybe :unsmith: I just don't want to have to move it all.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Last time I moved, I went with boxes half filled with books, half filled with towels/DVDs/anything else light. Same total number of boxes, but about half the weight in each.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I received some books back from http://www.herringandrobinsonbookbinders.com/html/comic_books.html today. Pretty stoked.

More pictures and words over here...

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/23005

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Please tell me you didn't bind original issues of the Walking Dead.

Edit: read your post at the link, WHEW. I'd have gotten on a bus and kicked your rear end if you had.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Rhyno posted:

We moved 200 miles back in December. We had spent a month packing something like 100 OSHCs/Omnis, probably twice as many regular softcovers and hardcovers, a dozen Absolutes and inane bullshit like the complete Calvin and Hobbes, all these Peanuts volumes and some big Mad volumes. And my wife had almost the same volume in art history books.

At the end of this crazy day, all the short Russian fellow who had done the moving could say was "you must read a lot, eh?"

In retrospect, I'm still amazed the move went so well and I totally dread the next one. Every time I'm about to order or pre-order something, I think about all these loving boxes and how many more we'll have next time.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Found a pretty good condition Death of Captain America Omnibus for cover price at my LCBS. This is pretty amazing because I never find good deals except during their annual sale.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got to talk to Mark Waid at C2E2 for about 5 minutes and asked him about the rumored Waid Cap Omnibus and he said he and Ron Garney have already talked to Marvel about it. Waid isn't too hot on it because of the issues he took his name off of being included but while they wanted to leave out Sentinel of Liberty. Hopefully the Busiek Iron Man Omni sells well enough that this one actually happens next year.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Is there any word on whether/when we might see a Powers Hardcover Vol. 6? I guess at this point all that's left to collect is the 11 issues of Volume 3 of the comic, which I think would be the same quantity as in the first hardcover volume, so it seems to make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The fifth came out not that long ago and they have been slowly releasing them. I'm sure the sixth will come out eventually, but you'll wait for it.