Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You guys got me all paranoid with all this mileage talk. I filled up earlier than normal and I got 32MPG with almost all city driving, didn't even put 10 gallons in. If you're really concerned about mileage you need to get some hard skinny tires and accelerate and brake slower. (Also cutting a bunch of weight and running 3.63 gears helps too, when I really tried the best I got was 41MPG driving all highways cross country)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!

Sadi posted:

Just a warning, the mileage will not be as good and with a 2000 I think you might need to run mid grade or premium. I dont really remember the compression ratios on the NBs. My NA with 75 city 25 highway gets 20-23 and almost 100% highway gets 24-27 (in the last year I have owned it, I have seen above 26mpg 3 times). I drive it relatively hard, but not much harder than I did with my 99 accord DX that got 28-31mpg average.

2000s take regular unleaded.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Larrymer posted:

Getting the urge to get another Miata since my current beater is terrible and soul sucking (99 Civic with ~170k miles). I figure it will at least be somewhat fun to drive and get somewhat comparable gas mileage. It's a 2nd car anyway, so it doesn't really need to be practical. There's a 2000 NB on CL for 3k that I might have to call about.

Do it man, I did after driving a Kia for two years, even though it was a BP and kinda fun.

Been daily driving a Miata (again) for over a year now and I love it, I'm never going back to an econobox.

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!
I took off the door panel. What is the purpose of the plastic sheet inside? Does it need to be there?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Vapor barrier.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

phootnote posted:

I took off the door panel. What is the purpose of the plastic sheet inside? Does it need to be there?

I took mine off, gently caress those things. The "tar" that they use to attach it to the door is horrible poo poo and is a bitch to completely remove, and gets all over everything if you're not careful. Goof Off or Goo Gone is about the only thing that works. When I replaced the window guides and cleaned/regreased the tracks and cables I just chucked the plastic, scraped off all the tar I could with a razor blade and used Goo Gone to wipe off what was left. It took me longer to do that than it did messing with the window stuff.

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!

leica posted:

I took mine off, gently caress those things. The "tar" that they use to attach it to the door is horrible poo poo and is a bitch to completely remove, and gets all over everything if you're not careful. Goof Off or Goo Gone is about the only thing that works. When I replaced the window guides and cleaned/regreased the tracks and cables I just chucked the plastic, scraped off all the tar I could with a razor blade and used Goo Gone to wipe off what was left. It took me longer to do that than it did messing with the window stuff.

Yea, I want to clean it up when I figure out what speakers to replace stock with. Any recommendations for speakers?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I got these: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+...akers&cp=1&lp=4

I also plan on sealing up the doors with sound deadener to improve speaker performance. RAAM Audio has a great product at a great price, and also show you how to do it the right way: http://www.raamaudio.com/pages/How%252dTo.html

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

phootnote posted:

I don't know what Miata door panels are like, but on e34s, every door I've seen without a vapor barrier has hosed up shrunken door panels from moisture loosening up the glue, while every door I've seen with one either looks new or fares a lot better. If they're solid plastic, I'd say gently caress it. If it's stuff glued over cardboard, definitely put it back on.

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!
It is a plastic sheet adhered to the door, and the panel is cardboard like material. I will replace that sheet and maybe add some foam in there to dampen vibrations and what not.

leica posted:

I got these: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+...akers&cp=1&lp=4

I also plan on sealing up the doors with sound deadener to improve speaker performance. RAAM Audio has a great product at a great price, and also show you how to do it the right way: http://www.raamaudio.com/pages/How%252dTo.html

I got bored and went to chat with a car audio guy. I been thinking about getting new speakers, and he recommends that the odds of new speakers being much better than stock are not significant. Argh... I don't know.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That "car audio guy" is an idiot, don't listen to him.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

phootnote posted:

I got bored and went to chat with a car audio guy. I been thinking about getting new speakers, and he recommends that the odds of new speakers being much better than stock are not significant. Argh... I don't know.
In a modern premium car? probably true.

In a 90s miata? Any aftermarket speaker is probably better than the paper cones that come stock.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Anybody who drops serious coin on the sound system in a Miata is probably missing the point of a convertible.

$550 for a triple pass radiator on the other hand...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

Anybody who drops serious coin on the sound system in a Miata is probably missing the point of a convertible.

$550 for a triple pass radiator on the other hand...

Not everyone wants a race car, and in order to really enjoy audio in any convertible you have to spend some money. You don't have to spend "serious coin", but like any other mods it's gonna cost money obviously.

Luckily for me I already have a stash of amps/subs/head units from previous vehicles so I have already spent most of the money that it's gonna take to make my Miata sound good, I just need the time to install it all now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Woosh.

I was getting at how a convertible has a poo poo load of wind noise by design.

I was also making fun of myself and pointing out that race car upgrades are just as much of a money sink. That and how I'm probably the worst person to ask about where to spend money on a Miata.

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!
I am just looking for crisper sound, but I definitely did not buy my miata for the audio. I am going to change out the headunit though, so I can at least listen to some of my favorite tunes as I mosey around on the streets.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

Woosh.

I was getting at how a convertible has a poo poo load of wind noise by design.

I was also making fun of myself and pointing out that race car upgrades are just as much of a money sink. That and how I'm probably the worst person to ask about where to spend money on a Miata.

Didn't come across as sarcasm to me :confused:

But yeah, depending what you're into it's all a money sink. And honestly the Miata isn't that bad audio wise because the headrest speakers help a lot (NA), and it being a roadster means there's less interior space to fill with sound. A decent head unit, amp, and a ten inch sub in the passenger footwell works wonders. I'd say for about $500 you could build a good system.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

leica posted:

That "car audio guy" is an idiot, don't listen to him.

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!
Well really it was only bad business for him because I didn't buy a speaker from him. I drive an NB so there is a bit of truth if you compare with NA speakers.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No not really, because you either have the lovely Mazda speakers or the Bose speakers which are even worse.

Replacing the stock speakers makes the biggest difference, a head unit and amp are close behind. But if you really don't care about audio quality then don't bother.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
In my experience I've found OEM speakers to be more than adequate if you (a) Remove their bass-driving responsibilities with a crossover and (b) add a subwoofer.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
My '97 came with some Infinity speakers installed already and are ptetty solid, and I swapped out the headunit for some $100 Alpine with bluetooth audio so I basically just turn on my car and the music from my phone starts playing :krad:

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Bluetooth audio doesn't bother you? It always sounds horrible to me.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I don't know if the technology has improved or what, but the unit I have just came on the market and I can't tell the difference in quality between the Aux, USB, and bluetooth, it's a pretty impressive piece of kit. Also comes with a mic for bluetooth calling. http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ute-42bt/

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I agree, I have a Bluetooth speaker at home that uses the latest protocols and it sounds awesome. I take it over aux in because its digital and I dont have to worry about clipping.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TooLShack posted:

Bluetooth audio doesn't bother you? It always sounds horrible to me.

Haha, kids these days don't notice that poo poo like us audiophiles dude. If you've never owned a CD/LP or a quality system to play one, bluetooth audio probably sounds awesome.

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!
I have never used bluetooth for music, but the headunit I plan to get will have that capability. I like my speakers in the miata now, but I hate that it loses clarity when the volume is higher. I went to listen to a few speakers at the store, and they sound crappy too... listened to some polk's, infinity's, kicker's, pioneer's, and alpine. They all sound raspy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Your speakers distort at high volumes because they are crap and the stock head unit is crap. You cannot judge speakers at a store because they aren't in your car and more times than not are not properly powered. If you want a good sounding system that doesn't distort you have to replace the entire thing with a head unit, amp, and speakers.

You really need to take this to the car audio thread because it's starting to poo poo up this one.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3520908

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 3, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone have any good information about converting to coil on plug? Has anyone here done it?

My coils are starting to poo poo the bed so I'm thinking of making the upgrade, but I haven't seen any decent how-to's as of yet.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Done it, I used toyota coils. There's tons of info on it on miataturbo as it's more common on them since spark gets a little weak with forced induction.

http://www.miataturbo.net/useful-saved-posts-8/upgrading-coil-plugs-all-years-cop-writeup-12704/

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
COP has issues with stock ecu and ignition where they tend to die suddenly. Something about dwell signal being too low. They are best used with aftermarket ignition controls.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, gotcha. I was wondering why it wasn't more common. If the COP coils are just as likely to poo poo the bed with stock ignition/ecu I may as well just keep it stock for now :(

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
They do last a while, some people just carry a spare set.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Yep, I had MS on mine when it was done so I didn't have to worry about that stuff.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Are there any particular aftermarket oe coil brands that are better than others? Rockauto has a few going from $85 to $137.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I am going to be doing a turbo DSM ignition swap. All you need are the coils, connectors, and the ignition module. No megasquirt or dwell mods needed.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Most popular is toyota corolla. VIsit the JY and you get free connectors as well.

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
I'm picking up an NB with Tein lowering springs and want to replace the stock wheels with some 15x8 +25 and 205/50/15. Something tells me that I'll have to roll to avoid rubbing, right?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

With an NB you might get away with it. Don't think you could on an NA. I only say this because when I was looking to get 15x9 6UL's, they fit much easier on an NB than NA supposedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
Whelp, I figured out my no-start condition on my '90.

I bungled my installation of the replacement fuel pump. There's a series of spacers and an o-ring that go between the fuel pump and the rest of the in-tank sending unit. When I took the old pump off, all the little pieces came flying off and I had to take a guess at what order they should be reassembled in. I got it wrong. The proper sequence is:

fuel pump > big spacer > o-ring > little spacer > sending unit

It runs fine now. Now that I can drive the car for the first time in 5 years, I'm struck by how lovely my AGX/FM spring setup rides.

So, if you have change out your fuel pump, be careful when taking the old one off.