Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Anus Dei posted:

And Neil Peart. Ho ho.

Dillinger Escape Plan completely destroyed (literally). Not only did they manage to sound good, there was blood and fire, and they left the stage in kindling. I checked youtube to no avail but I'm certain that performance will be making it there soon.

I tuned in to the show after not knowing about when someone on my facebook posted "Sorry, not feeling Dillinger Escape Plan right now on #goldengods ... I just hear noise. NEXT!" I struck up a conversation with him to only find out he went and saw Halestorm live two nights ago and it was SOOOOOAMAZINGOMGLIZZYSOGOOD. He got pissed and logged off when I asked when sarah mclachlan started singing generic rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am so lucky I got a chance to see Slayer on the 1991 Clash of the Titans tour (Alice in Chains, Anthrax. Megadeth, and Slayer). When everything went red during Reign in Blood it was pure chaos. Great show and RIP Jeff Hanneman.

I don't listen to a lot of metal anymore I had to check out this Halestorm. After trying to listen to 3 songs that is not metal. I would kick my son's rear end for listening to that and calling it metal.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

nate fisher posted:

I don't listen to a lot of metal anymore I had to check out this Halestorm. After trying to listen to 3 songs that is not metal. I would kick my son's rear end for listening to that and calling it metal.

but Loves Bites is so metalomgud.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Listened to Cobalt's Gin album for the first time in ages, and it's not exactly an album which I've never dug before. Now however, 've realized that it's a sludgy, stoner black metal masterpiece. It's also got the best lyrics in a black metal album ever, as they're about Hemingway (who also appears on the cover).

If you don't need a black metal album to be :black101: all the time, I can't recommend this enough.

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 3, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

nate fisher posted:

Heh, that reminds me of a Henry Rollins interview from a few years ago where he was bitching about how popular music got all soft and mopey again, to the point where kids were listening to wussier music than their parents. His solution was to build the Gwar Room, where if junior was caught listening to some lame secretary rock, he was locked in a room with Gwar until he was sufficiently hardened.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Semprini posted:

Slayer just posted this on Facebook:

:words:

Well, this kind of ruins my personal fantasy that the entire band died in a tragic and horrific (something including fire) in the few years following the release of Seasons in the Abyss and Decade of Aggression is the last live recording paying tribute to their brief but fantastic metal legacy.

R.I.P. Jeff Hanneman

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

NwahNerevar posted:

Listened to Cobalt's Gin album for the first time in ages, and it's not exactly an album which I've never dug before. Now however, 've realized that it's a sludgy, stoner black metal masterpiece. It's also got the best lyrics in a black metal album ever, as they're about Hemingway (who also appears on the cover).

If you don't need a black metal album to be :black101: all the time, I can't recommend this enough.

Gin is one of the most scouring, angry albums ever IMO. Arsonry is a pure outlet of rage. Cobalt are brilliant.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.
Watched the Golden Gods show, it was VERY bad. Seriously if you see it coming on, change the channel as there is nothing really "metal" about it and I feel like people who aren't into metal see that poo poo and form this awful opinion of metal. Not to say some of it isn't justified. And Halestorm is essentially Taylor Swift throwaway songs reworked to masquerade as "metal". I'm not quite sure why I watched it, since most of the bands on there aren't really my thing metalwise anyways.

Really sucks about Jeff too. Liver failure at 49? I wonder if he was on huge amounts of antibiotics and meds due to the spider bite and his live just gave out?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I don't even know who Halestorm are.

I do, however, hail the god of thunder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n_vMIskFNw

This song rules too. This singer reminds me of Andy Michaud of Liege Lord but a bit more controlled. He's so gloriously and ridiculously 80s, the pure essence of 80s power metal awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuft0NAQ1E8

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Wow kerry was sure broken up at the awards show. My friend of 30 years just died this morning, but on with the show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ii71xc400E

Get hosed you bald fat oval office. At least we won't have to suffer through another one of your out of place, out of key, bullshit solos.

Johnny Cage
Sep 7, 2004

Doin' big things

fuf posted:

Posting my favourite cover of raining blood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-i6J03j6Bo

Before even clicking it, I knew it was going to be Vader. Good cover, their one for Black Metal is pretty good too.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Morbid Florist posted:

Wow kerry was sure broken up at the awards show. My friend of 30 years just died this morning, but on with the show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ii71xc400E

Get hosed you bald fat oval office. At least we won't have to suffer through another one of your out of place, out of key, bullshit solos.

I dunno, they probably knew Jeff was dying for a while. Liver failure isn't an instant death thing. Even at its absolute fastest course it takes a few days, and even then there's a coma stage when encephalopathy sets in. I'm willing to give Kerry a little credit that they had already said their goodbyes and didn't want to make his condition public.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

NwahNerevar posted:

Thanks for this recommendation. This album is goddamn amazing.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

NwahNerevar posted:

I guess if you want to know what a black metal album written by Tool would sound like, this is the album to get. It's not bad.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

watt par posted:

I dunno, they probably knew Jeff was dying for a while. Liver failure isn't an instant death thing. Even at its absolute fastest course it takes a few days, and even then there's a coma stage when encephalopathy sets in. I'm willing to give Kerry a little credit that they had already said their goodbyes and didn't want to make his condition public.

Or you can go with the more likely answer that since Slayer members have talked to each other via managers and agents only for the last X years, King is a cold fish. They've always been extremely business oriented.

[edit] And if anyone doesn't already know, go read the songwriting credits for the first 5 albums. Any chance Slayer had of ever writing anything worthwhile again just died.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 3, 2013

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

The Clit Avoider posted:

Or you can go with the more likely answer that since Slayer members have talked to each other via managers and agents only for the last X years, King is a cold fish. They've always been extremely business oriented.

[edit] And if anyone doesn't already know, go read the songwriting credits for the first 5 albums. Any chance Slayer had of ever writing anything worthwhile again just died.

I think you mean the more juicy answer. It's not more likely at all. Slayer is not the first band to have become less friendly to each other over decades, that doesn't translate to them not caring about each others deaths.

I'm sorry, but the guy is just self-centered, not a serial killer. People don't work that way, even for business associates. They, unlike us, have actually been privy to the man's condition. This kind of rumor-mongering is childish.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 3, 2013

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

nomapple posted:

Gin is one of the most scouring, angry albums ever IMO. Arsonry is a pure outlet of rage. Cobalt are brilliant.

I dunno. I got anger and rage from Gin, but there was also a current of dark humour running through it too.

EDIT: I am illiterate.

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 3, 2013

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

NwahNerevar posted:

I dunno. I got anger and rage from Gin, but there was I also get a current of dark humour running through it too.

It was written during his tour in Iraq, so I think I can easily agree with the dark humor bit.

satan!!!
Nov 7, 2012

Morbid Florist posted:

definitely the end of Slayer as far as I'm concerned, especially with Lombardo gone.

Lombardo has been back drumming for Slayer for years now.

e: welp just saw the pay dispute thing. that sucks as well!

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

lol, Halestorm. I only found out who they were from watching an episode of bar rescue.
http://youtu.be/aWZwIsm6qzg?t=5m37s

when the riff started I was like eh ok.. but

extendedsolo posted:

And Halestorm is essentially Taylor Swift throwaway songs reworked to masquerade as "metal".
so accurate

and since I first saw Kerry in a commercial for Jagermeister I was just like welp, that's that

Varg fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 4, 2013

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Man, I used to like Children of Bodom. What the gently caress happened to this band?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDNYu2Ro06Y

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

hemophilia posted:

Man, I used to like Children of Bodom. What the gently caress happened to this band?

Your taste got better

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I love how Alexi looks like some goth skater kid next to the rest of his generic metal bandmates. Maybe he'll start playing solos while chugging beers and doing kickflips on the next tour.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

hemophilia posted:

Alexi's drinking might finally be catching up with him.. the dude is hammered 24/7, I sort of expected everything to go downhill

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

hemophilia posted:

They've always been bad, but yeah that's worse then usual for them.

Sometimes I feel good I never had an awkward listening to lovely metal phase, then I realize I listen to metal. So I'm pretty much a loser either way I put it.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

When I saw Children of Bodom (I went for the support band, which was either Amon Amarth or Cannibal Corpse), someone threw a plastic bottle at Alexi when they walked on. Why plastic, ffs?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Like 95% of bands are complete poo poo past their fourth album so I'm not sure why this is a surprise to anyone :(

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

It's a really boring song played at a really boring tempo but it isn't offensively bad because they've done away with the Zakk Wylde / Lamb of God influences

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Misogynist posted:

Like 95% of bands are complete poo poo past their fourth album so I'm not sure why this is a surprise to anyone :(

If Metallica only called it quits after Justice.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

nate fisher posted:

If Metallica only called it quits after Justice.

Black was good. Yeah, it was commercial, but it'd be a good album to retire on wouldn't it? Lost half your credibility but gained enough money to live like gods for the rest of your lives.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
WHY are none of you talking about Black Sabbath's current tour? Put up your drat horns for the creators! (Although I am disappointed that Bill Ward is not part of the tour)

You can bet that I'll be seeing them in Tampa and buying "13" on vinyl.

Has anyone seen one of their shows yet?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Hammer Floyd posted:

Black was good. Yeah, it was commercial, but it'd be a good album to retire on wouldn't it? Lost half your credibility but gained enough money to live like gods for the rest of your lives.

Black album had too much bad filler I though. Hell, AJFA is a tad long also.

11BulletCatcher posted:

WHY are none of you talking about Black Sabbath's current tour? Put up your drat horns for the creators! (Although I am disappointed that Bill Ward is not part of the tour)

Because the new album is going to be kinda mediocre and if anyone wants to listen to Sabbath style music there is like 400 other bands to chose from that are straight up Sabbath worship.

I'm still going to listen to it though.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

11BulletCatcher posted:

I saw them at ozzfest in like 2005, Ozzy was unintelligible as gently caress and just seemed to be in a sort of old dude stupor as he warbled through songs but Iommi, Butler, and Ward held their poo poo together. It was cool to see just to have a story of seeing them but I'd rather listen to my old rear end copy master of reality a few times, or old vids on youtube of them performing live, than pay to see them again.

So uh it all depends on how much you want to pay to say you've seen Black Sabbath.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Personperson14 posted:

Because the new album is going to be kinda mediocre and if anyone wants to listen to Sabbath style music there is like 400 other bands to chose from that are straight up Sabbath worship.

I'm still going to listen to it though.

Or you could just listen to old Sabbath. It's not like they're ever going to top the first 4 albums anyway.

As for seeing them live, I've actually stayed away from that because of Ozzy's decline. Last I saw him in concert was No More Tours, about 20 years ago (gently caress, I'm getting old), which may have been better off living up to its name. That said, it was an amazing show. Partly because of that I don't want to ruin my memory of live Ozzy with what's left of him now.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 4, 2013

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Xombie posted:

I think you mean the more juicy answer. It's not more likely at all. Slayer is not the first band to have become less friendly to each other over decades, that doesn't translate to them not caring about each others deaths.

I'm sorry, but the guy is just self-centered, not a serial killer. People don't work that way, even for business associates. They, unlike us, have actually been privy to the man's condition. This kind of rumor-mongering is childish.

Juicy? I'm just stating things how they are. Hanneman was always one to keep to himself and King isn't an emotional man, the band existed mostly as a business venture for ages, and to be quite frank, contact was minimal bearing on non-existent.

quote:

In a March 1, 2013 interview with MetalObsession.net's Nick Tevelis, SLAYER guitarist Kerry King stated about Jeff Hanneman's health status: "I don't have an update. I haven't seen Jeff in forever. He's always been a recluse, and he's even been more of a recluse since he's not going on tour with us. But our manager talks to him from time to time and sees him in L.A. just randomly. But I'm far from L.A., so I'm not in that loop. But I guess he's just getting better. It's just one of those things where he can do anything in life. He could be hanging here having a good time with us. He can probably play 'South Of Heaven', but he's not gonna be playing 'Jihad', you know what I mean?! So it's just a muscle memory kind of thing, I guess, at this point."

Asked whether Jeff had been involved in the songwriting process for the new SLAYER album, Kerry said: "It's just all my stuff for now. But I did that just in case, 'cause I don't know what Jeff's intentions are. So I wanted to have SLAYER covered in case he doesn't come to the party. If he comes to the party, then we've got tons of songs."

There is no way he was privy to his condition.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

11BulletCatcher posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pkmTaT6hhY

That's why nobody's talking about it, except as a good argument for the use of autotune (or amphetamines or a backing tape) in live situations.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
Ahaha, I love how he keeps taking off the microphone, moving away 3 inches, then putting it back.

EDIT
He seems a bit more comfortable doing older songs. Still doing the microphone thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip--LgXegXQ

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 4, 2013

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
I was okay with that Sabbath video because I told myself that there's a big screen just off camera, and they're premiering Black Sabbath Hero.

...but that only worked for a few seconds. Then, all I could think of was this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Sq4n4kt2k

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

RIP jeff hannemans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-YrT-lfziE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I don't know how you can post that and not the best one ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSB9HLwnZKc