Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Hey, is there anything stopping me from using safety wire on these guys, or should I use epoxy like they recommend?
http://www.revzilla.com/product/hot-grips-heated-hand-grips

Do they really say epoxy? :psyduck: That seems....awfully permanent. I just slide the grips on with soapy water and when it dries they're glued in place pretty well. Or try a tube of Griploc maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've used hairspray. It's lube when it's wet, glue when dry.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sagebrush posted:

Do they really say epoxy? :psyduck: That seems....awfully permanent. I just slide the grips on with soapy water and when it dries they're glued in place pretty well. Or try a tube of Griploc maybe?

I think the issue is, when the grips get hot they expand and can come off if there's no adhesive, and most adhesives lose their adhesion at a temperature lower than the maximum setting for the grips.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012
This is a silly newb question, but does anyone have a specific home air compressor they would recommend? I've had the importance of maintaining proper tire pressure drilled into me and I want to have a setup at home for when I finally get a bike (hopefully this weekend!).

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

This is a silly newb question, but does anyone have a specific home air compressor they would recommend? I've had the importance of maintaining proper tire pressure drilled into me and I want to have a setup at home for when I finally get a bike (hopefully this weekend!).

Also, air tools are a gift from the gods, so there's that.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It kind of sucks, but you can use a bicycle pump no problem to correct air pressure. If it's just fixing a few psi of difference it's really not much effort. And it's a lot cheaper than a compressor (free assuming you already have one on-hand).

Of course compressors are great and can power air tools so if you have a garage and some money to spend absolutely get one.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just do not get the tiny Husky or equivalent "oil-free" compressors from Home Depot (or equivalent). They are poo poo and will run constantly and burn themselves out trying to keep up with an air tool.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Safety Dance posted:

I think the issue is, when the grips get hot they expand and can come off if there's no adhesive, and most adhesives lose their adhesion at a temperature lower than the maximum setting for the grips.

I have those same grips and didnt glue them on. On the clutch side, sometimes the part of the grip that protrudes out (to accommodate the wiring for the heating element) rotates enough such that it gets in the way of the clutch operation. So yeah, I would hairspray or some kind of glue to hold them in place.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

This may be Ninja 250 specific:

Is it normal for rocker arms to wobble a bit side to side? It's making it difficult to get an accurate clearance measurement.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

SB35 posted:

I know a lot of you like to run Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic so I wanted to let you guys know that it's $9 after rebate for a gallon at Advance Auto Parts right now.

That link says $22.99. AITOO?

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

I looked at a ton of small or portable air compressors for when I moved away from home, they all suck. Ended up with a bike pump and a flow through pressure gage:
http://www.amazon.com/Accu-Gage-Air...+pressure+gauge

The bike pump locks onto the gage and the gage clips onto the valve of the tire so I don't have to hold anything. With the pump I use it's about 1 pump per PSI for the front tire and 2 pumps for the rear. No waiting on an air compressor, easy and quick enough that I do it every ride.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

XYLOPAGUS posted:

That link says $22.99. AITOO?

Apparently the stupidly awesome deal was an error!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Guinness posted:

It kind of sucks, but you can use a bicycle pump no problem to correct air pressure. If it's just fixing a few psi of difference it's really not much effort. And it's a lot cheaper than a compressor (free assuming you already have one on-hand).

Of course compressors are great and can power air tools so if you have a garage and some money to spend absolutely get one.

Yeah I top off my tires with a bicycle T pump. It's about .5 psi a pump and I check them often enough that they never need more than 3 pounds or so.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I just ride 5-6 blocks down to the gas station and use the automatic air pump there. :effort:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Collateral Damage posted:

I just ride 5-6 blocks down to the gas station and use the automatic air pump there. :effort:

All the gas stations around here charge. Plus the gas station pump doesn't help when you have a tire with 0 psi

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

All the gas stations around here charge. Plus the gas station pump doesn't help when you have a tire with 0 psi

Wheelie the entire way there.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Guinness posted:

I wouldn't even say it sucks. Use bicycle floor pump with a built in gauge and check pressure weekly. It never takes more than a few minutes.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
I wouldn't recommend trusting the built-in gage of a bike pump; my fairly fancy pump reads 6PSI higher than my much fancier dedicated pressure gage.

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 4, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Harbor freight has a $3.99 mini dial gauge that's pretty bang-on accurate; I keep one of those shoved in the little onboard tool kit.

e: huh, the reviews of that model now say that it reads 4psi low. Mine is accurate, but it's older. Caveat Emptor.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 5, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I wouldn't recommend trusting the built-in gage of a bike pump; my fairly fancy pump reads 6PSI higher than my much fancier dedicated pressure gage.

Yeah my T pump reads 3psi high. For all the pressure gauges I've tried I actually trust the cheapo silver pen ones the most, though a little digital one I had was pretty good too.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012
Thanks for all of the input regarding just using a bicycle pump; I'll give that a shot!

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really
Does anyone have recommendations for chain/cable locks?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Always combine a cable with a D-lock. Other than that, the Abus Diskus lock is pretty beefy as far as keyed padlocks go for the cable/chain.

Abiggoat
Feb 21, 2008

Kill yourself!

I bought a 1986 Suzuki GP100 that looks like it's been kept in pretty good nick for £300 as a cheaper way of getting to my new job. I've just passed my CBT and have it booked in for an MOT on Wednesday.

I noticed that the lights were pretty dim and the indicators straight up didn't work tonight. I was told by a friend to start it up, rev it a little for a while, and then that should do it because it'll be something to do with the battery and months of non-use.

This would be great except it doesn't idle. There's a few seconds of life and then the revs get so low it cuts out. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? Is the battery to blame for the light issues?

I really wanted to ride it to the MOT place but with no indicators, it stalling every time I slow down, and me being a complete novice I'd feel much safer walking it there (guess I could do with the exercise too)

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
You should read up on what an MOT entails. There's no way it will pass if the lights aren't working or you can't run it.

Just revving it for 5 minutes won't charge up the battery. You either need to get a battery tender or go for a decent 30-40 minute ride on a road where you can get the revs up i.e. not just around town. Dump some fuel cleaner in the tank and top it up with fresh fuel. Also check the idle screw and that the petcock is working correctly.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Abiggoat posted:

1986 Suzuki GP100

That's probably a 6 volt system, right? It could probably do with a bit of battery charging, it's not exactly brimming with electrons on the best of days either. If it won't idle, it might just be too cold. Are you giving it some choke?

Abiggoat
Feb 21, 2008

Kill yourself!

Ola posted:

That's probably a 6 volt system, right? It could probably do with a bit of battery charging, it's not exactly brimming with electrons on the best of days either. If it won't idle, it might just be too cold. Are you giving it some choke?

Yes it is. With choke it lasts a little longer, and as long as there's some decent revs it will run. I have seen everything running as it should when my friend test drove it (and then later when he was riding it around his farm). Since then (2/3 weeks ago) its been sat in my garage untouched. I'll check the petcock and the idle screw tomorrow morning. I need to have a good Google around tonight so I've got a better idea of what that entails.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
A bad battery can also cause one to die at idle. Because at idle the charging system isn't putting out enough to overcome the draw from the dead battery and still power the coil.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Bubbles in my sight glass. Problem?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

epalm posted:

Bubbles in my sight glass. Problem?

Yeah, your oil level is slightly low.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
In Ontario, you first get an M1 (written test, lasts 90 days, no pillion, no nighttime, 0.0 BAC), then an M2 (parking lot test, lasts 18 months, 0.0 BAC), then you can get you M (full road test, lasts forever, and I think you can have some amount of booze without the cops throwing you directly into jail, not that I would drink and ride a motorcycle).

I'm taking my full M license test next week. One thing I'm not clear on is lane blocking on a road with more than 2 lanes.

1 lane road: Ride in the left tire track, to prevent cars from sneaking past as if you were a bicycle.

2 lane road: If you're in the right lane, see above. Left lane, stay in the right tire track for similar reasons.

3+ lane road (highway): I get the leftmost and rightmost lanes, see above. But when you're in a lane which also has lanes on either side, which tire track are you "supposed" to ride in?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Ontario motorcycle handbook says "don't ride in the middle lane, because you do not have a blocking position."

So I assume do that, and if you do have to be in the middle lane just pick either one. Don't ride in the middle cause that's where all the oil and glass is.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I always try to ride in the left track to "take the lane." I feel that it increases my safety, as it forces cars to do a full pass maneuver to get around me instead of basic sneaking, and it gives me room to move right as a failsafe in case they fail at the mentioned task (as people do from time to time).

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Ugh, the local fuel importers announced that they are going to stop importing Super Unleaded. Cue uproar from motorcyclists, vintage car owners, the local motorsport clubs et al. Now they've announced that they will supply it, but only to two stations (presumably at hugely inflated prices).

Is there any way to modify an engine for lovely fuel short of lowering the compression ratio? Will ignition advance make enough of a difference?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Advancing the ignition would do the opposite of what you want -- it would guarantee that the fuel would ignite too early. You might try retarding the timing and using a much colder plug? Better the power loss from retarded timing than the damage caused by early ignition. Or just get used to buying octane boosters by the gallon...

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 8, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ReelBigLizard posted:

Ugh, the local fuel importers announced that they are going to stop importing Super Unleaded. Cue uproar from motorcyclists, vintage car owners, the local motorsport clubs et al. Now they've announced that they will supply it, but only to two stations (presumably at hugely inflated prices).

Is there any way to modify an engine for lovely fuel short of lowering the compression ratio? Will ignition advance make enough of a difference?

What kind of bike do you have? My ZX6R called for 87.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, don't most motorcycles run fine on regular (95RON/91AKI)?

My B6 wants 91RON and I've never seen anything less than 92RON around here.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
KTM 690 SMC, manual states a minimum of 97RON.
Ready to Race

Sagebrush posted:

Advancing the ignition would do the opposite of what you want -- it would guarantee that the fuel would ignite too early. You might try retarding the timing and using a much colder plug? Better the power loss from retarded timing than the damage caused by early ignition. Or just get used to buying octane boosters by the gallon...

I meant adjusting the ignition advance, not specifically advancing it further.

I can adjust the ignition curve in TuneECU. The original mapping for the bike has a map for lovely fuel that I can copy the values from but the manual also said not to use that map for more than one tank. Octane boosters might be an option, I'll have to see what the prices are like between the overpriced fuel and octane treatments. I feel sorry for the young riders at the moment though, many of them run tuned/overbored two strokes like KTM 125EXC supermotos and scooters. Low octane fuel in those is a sure recipe for a two-stroke runaway.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ReelBigLizard posted:

KTM 690 SMC, manual states a minimum of 97RON.
Ready to Race

Cross that off the list of possible future bikes, then :(

It's borderline impossible to find normal unleaded 98RON around here anymore, and V-Power/Nitro3000 etc. 97-99RON are hella expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Actually the current (2010+) user manual I just downloaded says 95. Weird, I wonder if my manual had a misprint or I misread it four years ago.

It's a fairly high compression engine so it made sense to me that it would be 97.