Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Maniac was disturbing. Can't say I liked it, which I think means it did a great job setting out to accomplish what it wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Vera Farmiga's amazing and apparenlty she's at the top of her game in that new Pyscho tv show.

She loving kills it in that show. I go from being sympathetic, terrified and attracted to her in the course of one on-screen conversation.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Reason posted:

Maniac was disturbing. Can't say I liked it, which I think means it did a great job setting out to accomplish what it wanted.

I finally managed to finish it tonight , it was really amazing. I turned it off watched some Archer and turned it back on. On one hand I didn't like some aspects of it I felt that the Mother background being a prostitute was bit much, I liked it with him just having the headaches and being loving crazy Overall great film , really enjoyed the cinematography.

I read up on a good bit of it and apparently , Elijah Wood held the camera most of the time. Like he had to. It's really interesting how they made the film. The scenes where you see both of his hands uses a hand double as he has to hold the camera with one hand. Thought that was interesting.

Overall I think it's a interesting role for him, I mean make no doubt Elijah Woods a star, but he was in a movie where he was pretty much never on camera and still evoked a good amount into the character.

I highly recommend it. It's one of my top horror films, this year so far. I'd even say I found it more disturbing than the recent Evil Dead. I mean it at least did something that other horror movies have done to a degree, but it really approached it with some flair and intelligence and was unique which everyone knows is hard as hell to find in the horror genre. I just found it original and fresh.

Have we already discussed Stoker? I really want to see this it's coming out on DVD soon and I missed it in the theater but it didn't make any kind of splash.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 3, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

BlindSite posted:

She loving kills it in that show. I go from being sympathetic, terrified and attracted to her in the course of one on-screen conversation.

I haven't had a chance to see it because it hasn't come out over here yet, but just from the snippets the ads have shown it looks really, really good and I'm super stoked after all the good buzz about her and Highmore.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

BlindSite posted:

The show isn't great, but she is great in it. Her performance is the main reason I'm still watching.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Twee as gently caress posted:

Dellamorte Dellamore. If you don't own it, you should close this thread, go and buy yourself a copy, watch it half a dozen time then come back posting afterwards.

Yeah, everyone do this.

Everyone should also watch Brainscan cause it's awesome.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I finally saw the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D last night, and while it wasn't as terrible as I was led to believe, it also wasn't very good. I guess your enjoyment will depend on the level of stupidity that you can withstand, because this movie is a lot of dumb people doing dumb things. I can't really explain why I didn't hate it beyond that, because there were so many absurd things going on that are hallmarks of bad movies. I did really enjoy the ending, "clean this poo poo up" is the moment of redemption for the sheriff? haha, okay, whatever man!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ravenkult posted:

Yeah, everyone do this.

Everyone should also watch Brainscan cause it's awesome.

Brainscan's a weird little turd, but it did give us the great line "I don't think erections rape people, people rape people."

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

ravenkult posted:

Yeah, everyone do this.

It's definitely one of the top 5 zombie movies out there, and certainly in the top Italian horror movies of all time as well. I don't know why it doesn't get constant love, it barely gets a mention here. It's funny, horrific, surrealist, you even have a proto-Hodor hanging around... It's just a great movie all around.

I really wonder what the planned sequel from 2011 with Nicholas Cage would have been like, though :psyduck:

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

When I was a kid -- maybe eight or so -- my friends and I spent a lot of time sitting around and making poo poo up about horror films our parents wouldn't let us watch, based on the boxcover or whatever sounded cool at the time.

Hellraiser III is one of those bullshit films realized, complete with Vietnam, an April O'Neil-a-like and compact discs.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Brainscan's a weird little turd, but it did give us the great line "I don't think erections rape people, people rape people."

Really, Brainscan sums itself up in two lines of dialogue.

"This doesn't make any sense!"
"It doesn't have to make sense."

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Probably not a great idea to watch the trailer for Eli Roth-produced (and starring), Aftershock. There's some major spoilers in there but the movie is a lot of fun and is a great summer horror. Also when I saw it at TIFF the director was so drunk and kept talking about his dick and Eli Roth, for once the more sensible person on stage, had to take his mic away.

Anyway, Aftershock is good, but don't watch the red band trailer.

edit: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1780762/

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 3, 2013

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

RebBrownies posted:

I know this isn't really horror but I saw Paranorman and it was loving awesome. The animation for the ghost girl/witch at the end was pretty frightening. It had some cute commentary on horror films. I'm a sucker for animation though.

I loved this too. I can see it being pretty scary for kids, like ghost busters (I'm positive they borrow some musical cues from GB, and it rocked), but overall a fun, family-friendly 'horror' movie. Lots of little homages to serious horror and beautiful claymation going on.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Maniac owned, and I never ever ever want to watch it again. It goes in the Martyrs/Entrance pile.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

I loved this too. I can see it being pretty scary for kids, like ghost busters (I'm positive they borrow some musical cues from GB, and it rocked), but overall a fun, family-friendly 'horror' movie. Lots of little homages to serious horror and beautiful claymation going on.

Coraline from same director is similar but imo a much better movie. Definitely check it out if you liked Paranorman. Surprisingly creepy too the other mother :cry:

Edit: oops it's a different director, watch it anyway it owns

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 3, 2013

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
I guess Paranorman was okay but I expected more out of it than I got.

I feel like in a lot of ways they took plot points from the Silent Hill mythos and made it more kid friendly, if that makes sense?

I wasn't a huge fan of the character design, but the scenery was pretty great and I seem to remember the music being okay though not hugely memorable.

I guess as an intro to horror themed stuff and as a kids movie it's pretty okay. If i had kids I'd show it to them, but that said, its just not the masterpiece everybody makes it out to be.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
C'mon now. The Silent Hill mythos?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The Cuntvalet Mythos.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

C'mon now. The Silent Hill mythos?

Couldn't think off the top of my head another well known piece of horror media that followed the same tropes. I'm not implying the games were the first to ever use the "character accused of witchcraft uses emotional turmoil and magic to punish those around her" just the first I could think of.

Plus, y'know, Jodelle Ferland voicing the little girl was somewhat on the nose for the movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's not the first to do it because it's every ghost story ever.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I would agree that most "ghost stories" are about a tormented / angry spirit returning to exact revenge. You certainly can argue that SH created a unique world at least and put a nice spin on the ghost story. I think it's unfair to say it was unoriginal just because you can identify some common enough elements in it.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

Welp, my bad, I guess, for not naming the first ghost story ever documented and instead mentioning what it reminded me of.

Also I'm not bashing it for that. I never said that it was unoriginal. I don't see that word once in my post.

I simply said I perhaps expected more from the movie than was delivered, and while it wasn't by any means a bad film, and I'm glad there's stuff like that for kids, I don't feel like its the masterpiece a lot of people deemed it as.

I'm not really sure how that translates into "it sucks and is a complete rip off and blargh!"

CatStacking fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 3, 2013

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

I'm trying to think of a ghost movie that DOESN'T revolve around this story.

I guess there's the ghosts that are just misunderstood and are trying to help somebody.

Those two. That's it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

cuntvalet posted:

Welp, my bad, I guess, for not naming the first ghost story ever documented and instead mentioning what it reminded me of.

I'm being cunty about it but I don't think it's out of bounds to do your "kids first horror movie" about the basic premise behind pretty much all ghost stories.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Ghost Dad Mythos

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

foodfight posted:

Ghost Dad Mythos

Man, Ghost Dad was CLEARLY a witch. Burn the abomination! That'll show him!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

foodfight posted:

Ghost Dad Mythos

Bill Cosby is TIRED......of hearing bullshit horror movie tropes.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

schwenz posted:

I'm trying to think of a ghost movie that DOESN'T revolve around this story.

I guess there's the ghosts that are just misunderstood and are trying to help somebody.

Those two. That's it.
Ghosts who don't know they're ghosts until the big reveal in the third act.

Then there are things like Kurosawa's Pulse (2001), although I'm not sure if it even counts as a ghost story. Maybe an exemplar of another category---ghost stories where it turns out that ghosts don't work the way we expect ghosts to work/aren't actually ghosts but are instead from another dimension, are aliens, are due to medical experiments, or whatever the gently caress.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

SubG posted:

Ghosts who don't know they're ghosts until the big reveal in the third act.

Then there are things like Kurosawa's Pulse (2001), although I'm not sure if it even counts as a ghost story. Maybe an exemplar of another category---ghost stories where it turns out that ghosts don't work the way we expect ghosts to work/aren't actually ghosts but are instead from another dimension, are aliens, are due to medical experiments, or whatever the gently caress.

There's also ghosts that all just hang around being bored, like in frighteners.

And ghosts that are doomed to repeat the same horrific act over and over again, like in the babies room.

And ghosts that are really murderous insectile waspy lycanthropes, like in the book version of Ghost Story.

I wish they would have kept the original ending to Ghost Story

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Good GOD my life sucks. No TV, no computer, no electricity, just this stupid tucking phone.

Somebody post a link to a good horror flick on YouTube so I can sit in my car and weep while my phone stays charged.

E isn't that movie about the two young girls that meet a guy online and end up getting tortured on YouTube? Link that, I'll watch it . I don't give a flying gently caress anymore.

schwenz fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 4, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Is that Silent Hill sequel any good. I am currently at home bored and wanting to watch something.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

It's not as atmospheric as the first one. It tries too hard to make the gibberish story of the third video game make sense.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
The second Silent Hill is really really bad. The climax of the movie (And this is so stupid that it really doesn't spoil anything) Pyramid Head gets in a sword fight with the main baddie.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Need a good horror movie that is On Demand to watch tonight, suggestions? We've seen The Possesion and Sinister before. Don't mind paying.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Maniac was really something. Elijah Wood's performance was incredible, I had been dying to see him do a role like this since I saw Sin City and he didn't disappoint. The movie was really effective with its use of the first person perspective. I wasn't sure how it would work, but I loved how when he killed the women it would pan out of first person, like Frank was having an out of body experience.

My friends wanted to end the night on a lighter note and decided Robot & Frank was the best option for that. Interesting back to back movies.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Hollis posted:

Is that Silent Hill sequel any good. I am currently at home bored and wanting to watch something.

Here's what I posted about it in the Gen. Chat thread:

quote:

Silent Hill: Revelation is just embarrassing.

I haven't cringed this much during a movie since... well, I don't even remember. The effects, the acting, the pacing, just the overall direction is just abysmal.

The dialogue, oh my god the loving dialogue.

The off editing at times almost seems to create a direction or style (such as when Heather shoots a creature in the mouth and the editing just sort of... ignores it; skips over it, in a bizarre way) but nothing comes of it and it just comes across as ineptitude.

Nothing that was good about the first one remains here. It's utterly uninspired and downright bad filmmaking on every level.

I'd say about 75 minutes of the 90 minutes that make up the movie is pure exposition. Just people, standing or sitting around, talking. Endlessly.

So yeah, I'd call it abysmal. Don't waste your time.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Silent Hill 2 was pure crap. It had a few nice character designs and set pieces, but had no clue what to do with them. It is the type of movie that should be shown in film classes during lessons on exposition.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Silent Hill: Revelation was a terrible, terrible film. It has Malcolm McDowell, which should inform you of the quality.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I'm not sure what to think about Maniac, really. It had great camera work and it really captured the feel of a big dangerous city, summoning an underclass of monsters and letting them loose. The best parts are when he's just walking or driving round, looking at things.

The rest, didn't do much for me really. It would be odd to expect catharsis from a movie that is so obsessed with voyeuristic, lingering cruelty but I never felt particularly engaged by what was happening. It's so unrelenting nihilistic that you just sit there and let it wash over you but I didn't come away feeling like I'd gotten anything from it by the end. It wasn't scary, there was no real tension, the characters weren't that well acted besides Elijiah and the French lady, there's no story to speak of and while you do get some background on the titular maniac all it does is inform you why he's killing people, which having already seen him kill people for an hour is, by that point, the least interesting thing about him.

The the finale is probably the strongest point as the action becomes a lot more dynamic. It might as well have been a documentary about a dude that likes killing people up till then, but the best documentaries have something to say about their subject matter where as this felt rather empty.

It was utterly disgusting though so if that's something you look for in horror movies I guess it might do something for you. First time I've turned my eyes away from the screen in years and I had a strong urge to turn it off after the second murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was a massive fan of the first Silent Hill movie (and still am), and even I think Silent Hill 2 was just kind of boring. I guess it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't very good either.