Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Well they knew they were going in a plane, why didnt they bring pepper spray? Or tasers? Or a large net?

They weren't expecting anyone besides the doctor, who was supposed to be cooperative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
In End of Watch I was totally taken out of the film by the Cholo gangster antagonists inability to shoot anything more than 10 feet infront of them. Are gangsters notoriously bad shots? are their weapons notoriously inaccurate? How could four gangsters empty their full clips into a crowd of other gangsters in an alley directly in front of them and not kill ALL OF THEM?

oh and CGI BLOOD OH MY loving GOD I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW MUCH CGI BLOOD CAME OUT OF THEM AFTER shooting Jake Gyllenhall and Michael Pena otherwise, great movie.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

joneswt posted:

They weren't expecting anyone besides the doctor, who was supposed to be cooperative.

I got "Be Prepared" drilled into my head when I was a Boy Scout. I would hope that CIA agents get training that's at least on par with the loving Boy Scouts.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

joneswt posted:

The CIA agent mentions that his flight manifest lists only one of the captured men, so he planned on taking at least 1 prisoner. :colbert:

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

The CIA agent mentions that his flight manifest lists only one of the captured men, so he planned on taking at least 1 prisoner. :colbert:

I think that was just for interrogation purpose.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

shut up netface posted:

In End of Watch I was totally taken out of the film by the Cholo gangster antagonists inability to shoot anything more than 10 feet infront of them. Are gangsters notoriously bad shots? are their weapons notoriously inaccurate? How could four gangsters empty their full clips into a crowd of other gangsters in an alley directly in front of them and not kill ALL OF THEM?

oh and CGI BLOOD OH MY loving GOD I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW MUCH CGI BLOOD CAME OUT OF THEM AFTER shooting Jake Gyllenhall and Michael Pena otherwise, great movie.

It didn't bother me that much, they obviously had no training and were using weapons like AKs which aren't super accurate at distance. But yeah, the blood was dumb.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

shut up netface posted:

Are gangsters notoriously bad shots?

I've not seen the movie yet but yea "gangsters" are actually terrible at using guns most of the time.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

I've not seen the movie yet but yea "gangsters" are actually terrible at using guns most of the time.

Except for Marlo's crew. They practice firing in the woods.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Gaunab posted:

Except for Marlo's crew. They practice firing in the woods.

And they train killing each other with paintball shootouts. With detailed breakdowns of what they did right and wrong afterwards.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

It's so true

Most average folks who've never fired a gun before, would be very surprised just how easy it is to totally miss a man sized target at even 10 feet.

And that is from someone using the sights, standing upright and still.

Imagine not using the sights, having a horrible stance, yanking on the trigger like it's a shotgun, and of course closing your eyes.

That's if the gun doesn't jam after the first round :eng101:

Content:

Django Unchained, for Quentin Tarantino's face. I understand he makes the movies, and wants to have a part in them... I just can't stand his smug little perma-grin

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
On the topic of guns, almost every movie that portrays someone using a scoped rifle seems to treat it like a video game and forgets that you have to adjust the scope based on the distance to the target. I don't remember which movie it was, but I recall a spy movie from the late 90s (maybe early 2000s?) actually showing a sniper setting up his shot and calibrating the sights the day before an assassination; it was still done with a shitload of movie logic, but I was still impressed that they at least tried.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Twitch posted:

On the topic of guns, almost every movie that portrays someone using a scoped rifle seems to treat it like a video game and forgets that you have to adjust the scope based on the distance to the target. I don't remember which movie it was, but I recall a spy movie from the late 90s (maybe early 2000s?) actually showing a sniper setting up his shot and calibrating the sights the day before an assassination; it was still done with a shitload of movie logic, but I was still impressed that they at least tried.

It starred Mark Wallberg, Shooter maybe?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I am not a book posted:

It starred Mark Wallberg, Shooter maybe?

Way earlier than that. It was something I saw in high school at the latest, which would have made it something from at least 10 years ago.

edit: Pretty sure it was The Jackal starring Bruce Willis. If not that, than something else from around the same time and about as forgettable.

Twitch has a new favorite as of 04:29 on May 3, 2013

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Sappo569 posted:

Django Unchained, for Quentin Tarantino's face. I understand he makes the movies, and wants to have a part in them... I just can't stand his smug little perma-grin

Him being pretty fat and having a horrible accent bugged me in Django.

On the subject of fat actors, Laurence Fishburne in Predators was pretty chubby for being in hiding from sadistic alien hunters for however long.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Twitch posted:

To add to this: almost any time a sniper rifle is about to be used it is re-assembled right before being used, which would gently caress up the zeroing of the sights/scope. And scopes always being presented as a single circle, rather than two floating circles that have to be marginally aligned to even being to get the target centered.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Sappo569 posted:

Content:

I can't watch any Tarantino film because it just feels like a guy who just saw something cool in a movie once so wants to recreate it. The minute it gets to his little "cameo" sequences I just can't keep watching it. Same with Shalyaman.

On the otherhand, when cameo's are done well like in Peter Jackson's case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvgwXAky1t8

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I can't watch any Tarantino film because it just feels like a guy who just saw something cool in a movie once so wants to recreate it. The minute it gets to his little "cameo" sequences I just can't keep watching it. Same with Shalyaman.

On the otherhand, when cameo's are done well like in Peter Jackson's case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvgwXAky1t8

He is no Hitchcock :colbert:
But who is?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okLiLsncyi0

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Poldarn posted:

Are you on Aussie? I am and I found his accent in Django to be quite good.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

fuckpot posted:

I've found that legit Aussie accents sound weird when the entire cast isn't Australian. I thought Yvonne Strahovski was faking it in the Chuck episode where she used her normal voice.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Good thing about that is I have no clue what Shamyalalalaman looks like... so it doesn't bug me cause I don't notice him :)

Poldarn posted:

On the subject of fat actors, Laurence Fishburne in Predators was pretty chubby for being in hiding from sadistic alien hunters for however long.

I thought it sounded more South African, which I heard a lot of people saying.

Having worked for a few years with a South African dude it is really easy to spot the differences between all the other similar sounding accents

Still doesn't excuse his face

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Sappo569 posted:

Good thing about that is I have no clue what Shamyalalalaman looks like... so it doesn't bug me cause I don't notice him :)

He's the Indian guy in M. Night Shamyalalalaman movies.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sappo569 posted:

Tarantino's face is rationally irritating though, so not fit for the thread.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Sappo569 posted:

I thought it sounded more South African, which I heard a lot of people saying.

Having worked for a few years with a South African dude it is really easy to spot the differences between all the other similar sounding accents

I have to admit that a fair few british people can't tell the difference between South African and Australian/Kiwi accents, so I'm willing to give Americans a pass on that one!

As for me, I can distingush between New York / Southern / West coast American accents, but that's about as far as it goes.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Usually I've been pretty good at spotting the Kiwi in a gang of Australians and various UKinans and Irish, but some Kiwis sound Australian and some Seff Effrikans sound Australian — I've had a few of every one of those in my bar over the past few weeks and it hasn't always been easy to pinpoint who's from where initially. Anyway, related ObIrrationalIrritation: District 9. When it came out I spent too much time being annoyed by the accent — I knew it was based in South Africa, but it was so Hollywood-y and the accents sounded off-place for one used to English language movies being spoken with, well, British or American accents.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

fuckpot posted:

I'm Canadian, but I didn't think he sounded like the two Australian people I know. I should see what they think. I'll retract my criticism.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

Poldarn posted:

I'm Canadian, but I didn't think he sounded like the two Australian people I know. I should see what they think. I'll retract my criticism.
It wasn't perfect obviously, and it was also a very outback style accent that you typically wouldn't hear from an Australian.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Very interesting, maybe I'll have to add that to the PYF Subtle Movie Moments thread.

(I won't but that is actually interesting and probably fits his character better).

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
In Seven Pounds, there's a character with a serious heart condition that prevents her from doing simple things like walking her dog. She has sex with the main character and nothing goes wrong. Her dog also happens to a vegetarian which I'm pretty sure is animal abuse.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
Dogs can live just fine on a vegetarian diet as they're naturally omnivorous. Just like a human you'd have to be careful to ensure that they were getting all the needed amino acids and vitamins, by adding animal protein like eggs (note: a vegetarian diet, not a vegan one), but there's no reason a dog couldn't thrive without meat in its diet. Probably wouldn't enjoy it as much though.

Cats, on the other hand, are obligate carnivores and trying to make a cat vegetarian probably would be considered abusive.

I'm sure someone from PI will be around sooner or later with their hair on fire to crucify me for everything I've written above.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Dogs can live just fine on a vegetarian diet as they're naturally omnivorous. Just like a human you'd have to be careful to ensure that they were getting all the needed amino acids and vitamins, by adding animal protein like eggs (note: a vegetarian diet, not a vegan one), but there's no reason a dog couldn't thrive without meat in its diet. Probably wouldn't enjoy it as much though.
She wasn't giving him eggs or supplements, she was feeding him nothing but steamed broccoli and tofu like some retarded hippy.

Also, where the hell did the main character in that movie get a box jellyfish and why did he decide to kill himself with one if he wanted to donate his organs. Another weird thing is that he caused a car crash that killed seven people because he checked his blackberry and yet he's not in jail.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 20:58 on May 5, 2013

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Celery Face posted:

She wasn't giving him eggs or supplements, she was feeding him nothing but steamed broccoli and tofu like some retarded hippy.

Tofu comes from soybeans, which are actually the only plant-based complete protein.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sagebrush posted:

Cats, on the other hand, are obligate carnivores and trying to make a cat vegetarian probably would be considered abusive.

I'm sure someone from PI will be around sooner or later with their hair on fire to crucify me for everything I've written above.

Uh no, dogs are not naturally omnivorous. They are meant to eat meat. Its cruel to try and force them to be vegetarian. Their entire body is built for eating meat, and it is much easier for them to eat and digest meat. Just because dogs can survive on a vegetarian diet does not mean it is the optimum diet for them.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
In I Am Legend, there is an SR-71 Blackbird on an aircraft carrier, where Will Smith hits golf balls off of.

The SR-71 Blackbird needs like, a half mile to take off and land. Maybe its more or less but, that sucker ain't landing or taking off from no aircraft carrier. Normally I wouldn't care but I love the SR-71 like a son.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Supreme Allah posted:

In I Am Legend, there is an SR-71 Blackbird on an aircraft carrier, where Will Smith hits golf balls off of.

The SR-71 Blackbird needs like, a half mile to take off and land. Maybe its more or less but, that sucker ain't landing or taking off from no aircraft carrier. Normally I wouldn't care but I love the SR-71 like a son.

http://museum-newyork.com/intrepid-sea-air-space-museum/

There is an aircraft carrier that was turned into a museum in NYC. They have a Lockheed a12, one of the predecessors to the sr71.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 01:50 on May 7, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AFewBricksShy posted:

There is an aircraft carrier that was turned into a museum in NYC. They have a Lockheed a12, one of the predecessors to the sr71.

It was also in National Treasure 2. Not sure what planes they had on it back then but I've only seen that movie once.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Uh no, dogs are not naturally omnivorous. They are meant to eat meat. Its cruel to try and force them to be vegetarian. Their entire body is built for eating meat, and it is much easier for them to eat and digest meat. Just because dogs can survive on a vegetarian diet does not mean it is the optimum diet for them.

Are you from Pet Island? :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog#Diet

quote:

Despite their descent from wolves and classification as Carnivora, dogs are variously described in scholarly and other writings as carnivores[149][150] or omnivores.[3][151][152][153] Unlike obligate carnivores, such as the cat family with its shorter small intestine, dogs can adapt to a wide-ranging diet, and are not dependent on meat-specific protein nor a very high level of protein in order to fulfill their basic dietary requirements. Dogs will healthily digest a variety of foods, including vegetables and grains, and can consume a large proportion of these in their diet.[3] Compared to their wolf ancestors, dogs have adaptations in genes involved in starch digestion that contribute to an increased ability to thrive on a starch-rich diet.[154]

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

AFewBricksShy posted:

Well shut my whore slut mouth.

See people. This is what the thread is about. I know something I didn't, and I'm not irritated anymore. I have grown.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Indianna Jones and the Last Crusade. When Indy knocks through the tomb wall and finds himself standing in a bunch of petrol, he sticks a rag on a stick in and lights it for a torch. Aren't petrol fums flammable? Wouldn't go the torch set them off? And is standing in a puddle of petrol with a purple flame on a stick really a good idea?

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
In The Dark Knight, when Bruce Wayne is checking out the apartment with the tied-up honor guard members and the curtain on a timer flips up, why does nobody panic or react when the police sniper shoots into the window? For that matter, why does the sniper just turn and shoot a couple of times without confirming a shot or his target?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

In The Dark Knight, when Bruce Wayne is checking out the apartment with the tied-up honor guard members and the curtain on a timer flips up, why does nobody panic or react when the police sniper shoots into the window? For that matter, why does the sniper just turn and shoot a couple of times without confirming a shot or his target?
I always thought that the dude shooting the window was one of the Joker's men, and the point was to cause a distraction so the disguised Joker could shoot at the mayor.

• Locked thread