Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wasn't that the logo for the original posters for that movie? Return of the Jedi, too? I know I've seen it before.

Here's a comparison between the three logos. There wasn't much done branding wise to tie the three across the years.

Also the Star - TITLE - Wars border thing did become a somewhat popular choice for video game covers as it works as a nice way to frame a brand. But as mentioned can look clumsy and read weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wasn't that the logo for the original posters for that movie? Return of the Jedi, too? I know I've seen it before.

I think it's a bit clumsy myself, but if I'm remembering correctly, it's a staple of those movies, even 30 years ago.

Yes, the actual posters used that.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Fighting The Deadly Dragon Tiger

System Metternich posted:

"Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla"

This is amazing. Not a Godzilla fan really, but I'd hang this up on my wall.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

"Godzilla vs. Destroyer"

"Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla"
Holy christ fire dragon with a volleyball :black101: Are these available anywhere?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Vegetable posted:

Holy christ fire dragon with a volleyball :black101: Are these available anywhere?

Here.

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.
Would it be irresponsible to replace all of my posters with Godzilla?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kind Milkman posted:

Would it be irresponsible to replace all of my posters with Godzilla?

It would be irresponsible not to.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the general opinion on anniversary release covers?

Blade Runner:

Close Encouters of The Third Kind:

The covers look better in person--they both feature reflective elements--but in my opinion they suffer from the same issue that a lot of fan-made minimalist posters do, which is to say that they both focus on one image or object that doesn't accurately represent the film and only makes sense to people who have seen it. That said, they are anniversary editions; the target audience is people who are huge fans of the film and are getting the editions for the bonuses (CEotTK features all three cuts, a documentary, and an artbook; Blade Runner features all five versions, the documentary, a lenticular card, a Happy Meal-quality Spinner model and an artbook).

Also forgive me if these have been posted before but I don't think I've seen mention of the special covers for the Marvel Cinematic Phase One set, which also fall into the "minimalism" trap (but I absolutely adore anyway):

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 5, 2013

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

lelandjs posted:

What's the general opinion on anniversary release covers?

Blade Runner:

gently caress this cover for making me think of this piece of poo poo:

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

lelandjs posted:

Close Encouters of The Third Kind:

The covers look better in person--they both feature reflective elements--but in my opinion they suffer from the same issue that a lot of fan-made minimalist posters do, which is to say that they both focus on one image or object that doesn't accurately represent the film and only makes sense to people who have seen it. That said, they are anniversary editions; the target audience is people who are huge fans of the film and are getting the editions for the bonuses (CEotTK features all three cuts, a documentary, and an artbook; Blade Runner features all five versions, the documentary, a lenticular card, a Happy Meal-quality Spinner model and an artbook).

Personally, the Close Encounters of the Third Kind anniversary cover keeps to the theme of the original poster, which I like.

As for the Blade Runner one, I think it's poo poo and lazy.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Yeah I guess Close Encounters could do without the artificial lens flare but its fine. The Blade Runner one is poo poo, somehow a crap minimalist poster got onto th Bluray release.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

WebDog posted:

Also the Star - TITLE - Wars border thing did become a somewhat popular choice for video game covers as it works as a nice way to frame a brand. But as mentioned can look clumsy and read weird.

I've never understood this thread's thing with splitting the title like that. It really doesn't read weird unless you're being pedantic.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Blade Runner:

The covers look better in person--they both feature reflective elements--but in my opinion they suffer from the same issue that a lot of fan-made minimalist posters do, which is to say that they both focus on one image or object that doesn't accurately represent the film and only makes sense to people who have seen it. That said, they are anniversary editions; the target audience is people who are huge fans of the film and are getting the editions for the bonuses (Blade Runner features all five versions, the documentary, a lenticular card, a Happy Meal-quality Spinner model and an artbook).

I like the origami unicorn, but they could have incorporated it better because it does look like a Heavy Rain sequel. Maybe include Zhora's retirement or Roy Batty saving Deckard in the background. Maybe a painted picture of Deckard, in his apartment, looking at the unicorn, or maybe throw in Deckard, gun beside it. There's a dozen different ways they could have used the unicorn and didn't.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ez posted:

gently caress this cover for making me think of this piece of poo poo:

What depresses me about this isn't that some jackoff clearly saw that Heavy Rain cover and just pasted it, it's that they probably got paid better than 90% of the people in this thread to do it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Young Freud posted:

I like the origami unicorn, but they could have incorporated it better because it does look like a Heavy Rain sequel. Maybe include Zhora's retirement or Roy Batty saving Deckard in the background. Maybe a painted picture of Deckard, in his apartment, looking at the unicorn, or maybe throw in Deckard, gun beside it. There's a dozen different ways they could have used the unicorn and didn't.

Hell, it would've been better if they just took a real origami unicorn to Chinatown on a rainy night, put it down on the ground near some wet surfaces relfecting the neon, and then taken an actual photo of it.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

lelandjs posted:

Blade Runner:

Wasn't the unicorn not even in the theatrical cut of the movie (or was it just the dream)? I'm not arguing that it's a bad concept for a cover, but it's weird. Almost every frame of that movie's effects are cover material.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Good god.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Jefferoo posted:

Good god.

Even Lucas wasn't crazy enough to add a scene where X-wings attack a giant Luke Skywalker.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I hate the unicorn cover for Blade Runner. That's the same thing as the minimalist poo poo. Some of those fan covers using pro photos from the movie are much, much better.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Man, Rodan (?) there looks like a severely beaten puppy. The saddest kaiju.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Hell, it would've been better if they just took a real origami unicorn to Chinatown on a rainy night, put it down on the ground near some wet surfaces relfecting the neon, and then taken an actual photo of it.

No poo poo. That would have been almost perfect. I'd probably would work in Deckard's blaster, since it's a pretty iconic prop as the origami unicorn.

Hbomberguy posted:

Wasn't the unicorn not even in the theatrical cut of the movie (or was it just the dream)? I'm not arguing that it's a bad concept for a cover, but it's weird. Almost every frame of that movie's effects are cover material.

The unicorn footage is, but the origami unicorn is in all cuts. Rachel trips over it when she and Deckard are escaping the apartment

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

WatermelonGun posted:

Man, Rodan (?) there looks like a severely beaten puppy. The saddest kaiju.

I think he's melting.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

A human heart posted:

I think he's melting.

He just wants to play basketball, but all of the other monsters are taller than him.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Get a load of this worthless poo poo:

Edit: I was going to throw in a few more, but there are so many and they are so bad that I actually just gave up.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 6, 2013

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This physically hurts my eyes.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

CPL593H posted:

Get a load of this worthless poo poo:

The figure on the left should be wearing a dress too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cacator posted:

The figure on the left should be wearing a dress too.

It's also a lovely poster for the movie because it completely ruins the mystery. Which is even worse because the original promos for this were all about not ruining the mystery.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

That's an awfully high showerhead there. I don't remember Janet Leigh being a dwarf.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Also, why are they at a glory hole?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
http://www.behance.net/gallery/Star-Trek-poster-project/8493379

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gonz posted:

Cool looking Star Trek Posters

Yeah, those look pretty sweet. My personal favorite is The Voyage Home, which is surprising, considering that I don't like that movie at all.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

What is this?! Good fan posters? You're scaring me.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I really love how those posters balance consistency with variation. They absolutely feel like a set without the usual crutch of using uniform composition, colour harmony, or rendering style.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

What is this?! Good fan posters? You're scaring me.

Don't worry, I can help!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Congratulations to Captain James Tiberius Kirk for winning a Grammy in the newest ST film!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gonz posted:

Congratulations to Captain James Tiberius Kirk for winning a Grammy in the newest ST film!

Yeah, but it's still a shame that Liam Neeson got his head stuck in that small tire after he got bad plastic surgery.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

:smug:

:smug:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

E: f,b

Gonz fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

These are genuinely beautiful, I'm not even a Star Trek fan but I'd totally hang up one of these on my wall.