Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Dauntasa posted:

Oh man, why the hell would they code a museum to work the same way as plant seeds? That's hilarious. I guess it speaks to my own lack of subtlety that if I'd found out how to do that I probably would have just gone into someone's town and covered the entire map in museums.

I imagine for some coding reason they put in a "can't plant" flag for items (as opposed to a "can plant" one), then never bothered to activate them for buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
My guess would be as a debugging feature, and they just never deactivated it since you can't get buildings normally.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I don't see the point in making buildings items and have the only thing separating them from, say, a shovel be a "Can't Pick Up" flag.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

My guess would be as a debugging feature, and they just never deactivated it since you can't get buildings normally.

I guess testing would be easier if they could just chuck buildings wherever.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'm gonna guess it's worked into how the game randomly generates and places stuff on it's maps.
Chuck a couple of trees here and stuff, throw a museum there, Nook's store near it and some more trees!

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Dauntasa posted:

I don't see the point in making buildings items and have the only thing separating them from, say, a shovel be a "Can't Pick Up" flag.

I guess testing would be easier if they could just chuck buildings wherever.

Generally in games code, you'll have one basic "game object" class which will have a whole bunch of default behaviors, then more specific objects will override those behaviors when needed. Buildings aren't supposed to be in the inventory, so all their inventory-related behaviors are inherited from the default.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Chances are it was a remnant from their map editor that they used to lay out the static maps in the game. Or it could just be non-overloaded base behavior and a glitch.

k\o\w
Sep 11, 2003

Cuz's Uptown Barbeque
Cabins & Resort
"This Is Hit!"
Yep, I think these are all accurate assumptions. The game would also blank out existing tiles when a new building was placed, so if you overlapped the center of the gate it would be removed completely and look kinda like the glitch mentioned here: http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/18/animal-crossing-glitch-into-the-great-wide-nothing/

If you did this to the players starting home, it would prevent the game from booting up at all or even starting a new game. Luckily I think I only managed to do that to my own game :)

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
More Age of Wushu!

Namelus - Leader of Shinobi, GoonTangClan's allies and an all-around cool bro
Jinhu-Morute - Leader of SangineMoon, a clan of 4 dudes playing 25 characters in a lovely assassin RP circlejerk. Our alt guild is SanguineGoon which caused an incredible meltdown

If 60, out of 100, black people murder that means 40 of them do not. Those 40 are still shunned because the MAJORITY do murder.

:magical:

We kill these people on principle because seriously, what the gently caress.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Vib Rib posted:

I like this story because it specifically targets people who've done particularly meanspirited things already (or at least were willing to claim they had). A grief with consequences that big is best targeted at the deserving. It's like a righteous storm.

"IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!"

Just like the entire town. :allears:

KawaiiInbou
Jul 9, 2011

0 : 59 : 56

Shalhavet posted:

More Age of Wushu!

blaitent disregard to the TOS when friefing - The Griefing Discussion Thread

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Shalhavet posted:

More Age of Wushu!

Christ I can't believe this idiot is still playing. :psyduck: I gave up halfway through, too much stupid. Namelus has the patience of a fuckin' saint.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

MFerris91 posted:

blaitent disregard to the TOS when friefing - The Griefing Discussion Thread

Someone change it to this. Seriously.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

What the hell was he talking about "you do not play the other versions?" Is that just like a five year old insisting that he's totally a pro basketball player, he just plays in another city, that's why you've never seen him?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
What about "youre a discrace -The Griefing Discussion Thread."?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Keeshhound posted:

What the hell was he talking about "you do not play the other versions?" Is that just like a five year old insisting that he's totally a pro basketball player, he just plays in another city, that's why you've never seen him?

It's a Chinese game first - he was talking about the game environment on their servers as opposed to the environment on ours. That being said, he's still an absolute moron.

Edit: vv Pretty much. They're also a few versions ahead of us, have some additional content, and have giant blocs of guilds on their server that band together to stop anyone outside their circlejerk from getting anywhere in the game. Frankly, I'm pretty sure that the idea that they're large numbers of small guilds is bullshit as well - there's no tactical or logistical advantage to having large numbers of small guilds rather than small numbers of large guilds.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 5, 2013

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Dirk the Average posted:

It's a Chinese game first - he was talking about the game environment on their servers as opposed to the environment on ours. That being said, he's still an absolute moron.

So more like a five year old insisting that shots from behind the three-point line are only worth 1 point because that's how they play in his hometown.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

The claim that his guild is all "staff in other games" is what really brings it all together. It's either bullshit to sound more important (the more likely possibility), or games are literally their life.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

sleeptalker posted:

The claim that his guild is all "staff in other games" is what really brings it all together. It's either bullshit to sound more important (the more likely possibility), or games are literally their life.

I'm willing to wager it's either positions that mean jack poo poo like a forum mod for a non-game section or its the nerdy "my friend is a staff member for X game."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ringo Star Get posted:

I'm willing to wager it's either positions that mean jack poo poo like a forum mod for a non-game section or its the nerdy "my friend is a staff member for X game."

My uncle works at Age of Wushu and says that he's full of poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ringo Star Get posted:

Perhaps a situation like:

1: Wow, you really work for Bioware?

2: Yeah

1: Wow!

3: Yeah, and I work at steam.

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
Lately, I've been playing Left 4 Dead 2, and I have my name as Psyduck.

I'll join a versus game, and say nothing but "psyduck" over the mic and chat.

It seems to drive people crazy!...everytime

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Really? If someone did that in a game I was in I would be laughing my rear end off. People need to lighten up. Or not, because that would mean way less griefing.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I did something similar in Black Ops 2, only it was running around in a free-for-all with nothing but stealth perks and a knife. I'd do a terrible Christian Bale Batman voice whenever I snuck up on someone, saying things like "I am the Night." One guy went into a full-on meltdown after I snuck up behind him, muttered "<Gamertag>, turn around, criminal scum!" and stabbed him in the face. It's low-effort griefing but can be fun to play around with.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Damonic posted:

Lately, I've been playing Left 4 Dead 2, and I have my name as Psyduck.

I'll join a versus game, and say nothing but "psyduck" over the mic and chat.

It seems to drive people crazy!...everytime

This would literally have me in tears.

The next time i play with pubbies with voice chat in Dust i am doing this since my Dust char's name is Charizard.

If i can keep from laughing.

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Really? If someone did that in a game I was in I would be laughing my rear end off. People need to lighten up. Or not, because that would mean way less griefing.

To be honest, there were a few people who played along and seemed to enjoy it.

I can't grief on the level of most of the people in the thread, and nor do I try. But I was having fun pissing people off by being "Psyduck".

I also do the WORST Psyduck impression ever, which probably made it better.

edit: I even try to change my tone. I'll yelp like Psyduck when I'm caught by a Smoker or something, or I'll draw it out apologetically if I gently caress up.

Damonic fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 6, 2013

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006

Wild T posted:

I did something similar in Black Ops 2, only it was running around in a free-for-all with nothing but stealth perks and a knife. I'd do a terrible Christian Bale Batman voice whenever I snuck up on someone, saying things like "I am the Night." One guy went into a full-on meltdown after I snuck up behind him, muttered "<Gamertag>, turn around, criminal scum!" and stabbed him in the face. It's low-effort griefing but can be fun to play around with.

The thought of someone running around like that, whispering what you're saying before a stab, makes me giggle pretty hard...

Damonic fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 6, 2013

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

Christ I can't believe this idiot is still playing. :psyduck: I gave up halfway through, too much stupid. Namelus has the patience of a fuckin' saint.

If anything, Goons have been inadvertently griefing Namelus ever since we decided to ally together.

In Age of Wushu, Namelus is the leader of the guild Shinobi and probably one of our strongest allies despite starting off as enemies. We do everything from pool resources together to craft items and run PVE dungeons to assisting each other during Guild Wars and School Tournaments.

Unfortunately for him, Namelus has to deal with goons doing goon poo poo from having to deal with complaints from other guild leaders to having to placate his own guild because goons killed them/put them in jail/Grithok doing something terrible and causing one of their streamers to cry.

He's a great guy but drat do I feel bad for all the poo poo he has to go through every day due to his association with us.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
Does just straight-up loving with people over voicechat count as griefing?

Trigger warning : Dota again

The game has a character named Lifestealer. The only things you need to know about Lifestealer for this to be comprehensible are that there's a popular but horrendously inefficient way to play him that involves staying away from most of the team for a lot of the match and that his proper name is Naix.

A friend who I play with came up with The Lifestealer Game. The game is very simple: When stuck with a really racist or idiotic pub filling last team slot, everyone in the party just pretends there's someone on the team playing Lifestealer and starts complaining about him at around 10 minutes in. Every few minutes someone new needs to complain and it needs to be louder and angrier every time it happens. A typical match quickly devolves from 'ugh stealer please come out of the jungle' to 'omg naix stop' to 'gently caress YOU NAIX' to 'omg lina's right there JESUS FUCKIN CHRIST STEALER YOU AUTIST WADDLE YOUR FAT CLANKY ZOMBIE rear end OUT HERE AND OWN HER IMMEDIATELY' and so on.

Given how easy it is to mute players and how obviously nonsensical and stupid this is I'm surprised we get any reaction at all, but good lord do people ever get mad. The best part is that there's no one person for them to single out because it's always the majority of the team complaining. Our best result so far has been a very angry guy with a thick texan accent getting into a death-threat poo poo-talking war with someone on the other team after someone asked them politely over allchat to report Lifestealer for glitch abuse and they agreed.

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 6, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Holy gently caress, people really can't glance up at the top of the screen and go "OH DUH THERE'S NO loving NAIX THIS GAME?"

Also, bring back Nerubian Assassin so we can go back to calling Naix Naix without confusing him with this Nyx poo poo.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Man, I need to step up my game. I already groan about "THIS NAIX" in allchat as an excuse whenever I die, but I figured people would catch on if I kept harping on it more than once or twice a game, not freak out even more.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

New video from PedroTheSexyMexicano, it's mostly DarkRP griefing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up80Tje967Q

If you haven't seen his other videos yet be sure to check them out.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Well, so the age of wushu chat is html.

I expect good things soon.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Kegslayer posted:

If anything, Goons have been inadvertently griefing Namelus ever since we decided to ally together.

He's a great guy but drat do I feel bad for all the poo poo he has to go through every day due to his association with us.

I dunno, from talking to him when I was playing, I never got the feeling that it actually bothered him. He seemed to have the mentality of 'yeah if people are taking this game that seriously I am going to laugh at them'.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm logging in and goatseing everyone ASAP.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?
I recently discovered the joy of Demogriefing on TF2. My favorite thing to do now is play capture the flag on Turbine with the Scottish Resistance, and sticky up the door the other team exits from. It never ceases to amaze me how people continue to try and use that door when it has eight sticky bombs covering it. The best part is that I'm actually a fairly good demo player, so whenever people start getting really pissed and call me a trash player, I use my loch'n'load to blow people up from across the map, which isn't terribly easy to do with that weapon.

I've also recently started taking my efforts to 2Fort, where I use a sticky jumper to fly into the faces of snipers and caber them before running off. I've never racked up so many dominations in my entire career.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

McCloud24 posted:

I've also recently started taking my efforts to 2Fort, where I use a sticky jumper to fly into the faces of snipers and caber them before running off. I've never racked up so many dominations in my entire career.

This is unironically the best thing to do on any map. You can also use the the Scottish Skullcutter or whatever the axe is called if there's more than one, but the best thing is picking one sniper and killing them over and over. Make sure to say "hi!" or something in chat every time you kill them.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

bucketmouse posted:

Does just straight-up loving with people over voicechat count as griefing?

Trigger warning : Dota again

The game has a character named Lifestealer. The only things you need to know about Lifestealer for this to be comprehensible are that there's a popular but horrendously inefficient way to play him that involves staying away from most of the team for a lot of the match and that his proper name is Naix.

A friend who I play with came up with The Lifestealer Game. The game is very simple: When stuck with a really racist or idiotic pub filling last team slot, everyone in the party just pretends there's someone on the team playing Lifestealer and starts complaining about him at around 10 minutes in. Every few minutes someone new needs to complain and it needs to be louder and angrier every time it happens. A typical match quickly devolves from 'ugh stealer please come out of the jungle' to 'omg naix stop' to 'gently caress YOU NAIX' to 'omg lina's right there JESUS FUCKIN CHRIST STEALER YOU AUTIST WADDLE YOUR FAT CLANKY ZOMBIE rear end OUT HERE AND OWN HER IMMEDIATELY' and so on.

Given how easy it is to mute players and how obviously nonsensical and stupid this is I'm surprised we get any reaction at all, but good lord do people ever get mad. The best part is that there's no one person for them to single out because it's always the majority of the team complaining. Our best result so far has been a very angry guy with a thick texan accent getting into a death-threat poo poo-talking war with someone on the other team after someone asked them politely over allchat to report Lifestealer for glitch abuse and they agreed.

Wait wait. Are you very good at this game? One time I was playing vs. a brewmaster and some other people and most of the people on their team seemed to know each other except this sniper on the other team and they're really just stepping all over us the entire game, then they all just start berating the sniper even though he's doing very well and then they just stopped winning. Brewmaster just started running circles around towers and letting them kill him as he berates the sniper for feeding and being terrible. I was lifestealer on the other team, so that would explain why you didn't pick lifestealer out to pick on.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Taciturn Tactician posted:

This is unironically the best thing to do on any map. You can also use the the Scottish Skullcutter or whatever the axe is called if there's more than one, but the best thing is picking one sniper and killing them over and over. Make sure to say "hi!" or something in chat every time you kill them.

I got banned from a pony 2fort server for doing this to the admin, who was playing sniper. It had alltalk on and his rage was glorious.

Speaking of greifing on tf2, I had someone on my team raging at me on mic for 10 minutes straight because they thought I was blurting out Game of Thrones spoilers when I was actually just making poo poo up. I really wish I could have recorded it :(.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

McCloud24 posted:

We need a Goon TF2 clan (or clan branch) consisting entirely of caber demomen and rocket jumper + mantreads + market gardener soldiers. I would gladly sign up for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
In addition to flying around cabering Snipers on 2fort (and other maps), I would also go onto the Double Cross map and play some Capture the Flag Intelligence. You could jump from balcony to balcony really easily, which was great for finding Snipers. However, one of the ways off the balcony lead to the intel. I could jump across, get into their base, kill the Engineer trying to set up in the intel room, steal the briefcase, and be back in my base in about 30 seconds. The round would be over in about three minutes, and it only worked once. They'd start camping the balcony, so I'd just go back to being The Flying Caberman.

Then they changed the Sticky Jumper so you can't pick up the briefcase. :(

• Locked thread