Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

In hindsight I've seen a lot of people say it's their favorite. I think at the time it was just coming out too soon to the newer flashier consoles, and a lot of people thought it was unsettling to leave the modern settings of FF7 and FF8. FF9 came out after the PS2 had been out for a while and FFX was right around the corner with it's PS2 graphics and voice acting (crazy to think they used to release installments of the numbered games yearly...)

PS2 came out in October, FF9 in November. It was the first game I bought after buying my PS2 and Summoner on launch day. FFX wasn't until December of the next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Atlus makes Final Fantasy Versus 13: Persona 5

Also SE has tried to outsource FF in the past and it's never worked out. Wasn't there a Western developed one they just cancelled halfway?

Grin made that. Canceling that was perfectly justified.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dross posted:

PS2 came out in October, FF9 in November. It was the first game I bought after buying my PS2 and Summoner on launch day. FFX wasn't until December of the next year.

I think the JP release date for FFX was much closer to the release of the PS2 too, but that's still basically a year between games. I just remember that when I bought a PS2 my first games were FFX and MGS2 :shobon:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I forgot how quickly you can get to an annoying mini game in FFIX. drat jump rope. :argh:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Ten times is plenty for the jump rope minigame, because all of the rewards beyond that are cards and FFIX's card game sucks hot poo poo.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Coughing Hobo posted:

Ten times is plenty for the jump rope minigame, because all of the rewards beyond that are cards and FFIX's card game sucks hot poo poo.

I liked it. :smith:

But yeah, objectively it really is a steaming pile. Chocobo Hot and Cold on the other hand...

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Fungah! posted:

I liked it. :smith:

But yeah, objectively it really is a steaming pile. Chocobo Hot and Cold on the other hand...

Robe of Lords on disc 1, baby :getin:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Atlus makes Final Fantasy Versus 13: Persona 5

Also SE has tried to outsource FF in the past and it's never worked out. Wasn't there a Western developed one they just cancelled halfway?

Yeah, they had Grin making a new FF XII game, but they stopped giving them the money they needed to develop the game and then they went bankrupt. They also wanted them to fax them the game's source code.

Here's some cool concept art from it: http://kotaku.com/5355081/more-art-from-grins-cancelled-final-fantasy-project/

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mill Village posted:

Yeah, they had Grin making a new FF XII game, but they stopped giving them the money they needed to develop the game and then they went bankrupt. They also wanted them to fax them the game's source code.

Here's some cool concept art from it: http://kotaku.com/5355081/more-art-from-grins-cancelled-final-fantasy-project/
Was that before or after Grin made a complete arse of themselves making Bionic Commando '09?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FF9 has aged a LOT more gracefully than most PS1 RPGs though. Holy poo poo when they gave away Wild Arms for free on the Vita I downloaded it and had to delete it within the first 30 minutes.
Barring combat, I'm pretty cool with Wild ARMs 1 because its out-of-battle settings were still pretty great. But those battle scenes... well, while I'm much more forgiving about lovely graphics than most people, WA1 is definitely one of those games I can understand why you did that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Let alone Wild ARMs 2, which was ugly as sin even at the time of release. Early polygons were dire things.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Was that before or after Grin made a complete arse of themselves making Bionic Commando '09?

I believe this was after that game and Wanted.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Barring combat, I'm pretty cool with Wild ARMs 1 because its out-of-battle settings were still pretty great. But those battle scenes... well, while I'm much more forgiving about lovely graphics than most people, WA1 is definitely one of those games I can understand why you did that.

I have a lot of disdain for graphic whores, but Wild Arms just doesn't look good. Too 3D to appeal to a retro crowd, but the 3D was too awful to appeal to anyone else. I'm a fan of the game, and I can replay it because I know it inside and out, but I really can't blame anyone for having less wherewithal.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Admittedly part of why Wild Arms looks so bad is that it was one of the earlier JRPGs for the system, beating FF7 to market, while FF9 was a late-cycle title. It even compares unfavorably to 7, thanks to the backgrounds and better art direction/more polys on battle models, but the comparison is a lot closer and 7 is a really unattractive game in some ways despite being (at the time of its release) considered gorgeous. Those out-of-battle character models...

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
WA1 makes up for it with the best music in the series and some great settings. The plot kinda goes haywire in the second half like every other game in the series, though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Azure_Horizon posted:

WA1 makes up for it with the best music in the series and some great settings. The plot kinda goes haywire in the second half like every other game in the series, though.
Barring Wild ARMs 2, where the potential for a sane plot went out the window as soon as you finished Ashley's first mission.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The White Dragon posted:

If I was a rich man, I would vulture the gently caress out of the Final Fantasy trademark once SE goes under. And then I'd only release weird games like Cecil's Supermarket Scramble (a Final Fantasy knockoff of the game show from the 80s) and Strago's Battle Reggae Adventure (Gitarooman with Strago and Final Fantasy music done in reggae style. And weed. Well, more weed than was in Gitarooman)

Gau presents: Rage Rage Revolution. :parrot:

Looking back at some of the games Enix published for the SNES: Soul Blazer trilogy, E.V.O., 7th Saga...etc, I'd loving kill for that kind of company again. But no, instead of Enix sitting back and watching their only real competition go bankrupt due to a lovely movie, and just buying some of the good IPs, they just had to go and do some drunken fusion dance merger with them. :sigh:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
7th Saga has some neat visual stuff and the ability to pick a character, but beyond that it's loving terrible. The Japanese version isn't very good and the American one completely buttfucked the game with a mixture of difficulty tweaks and what were probably unintentional player-screwing bugs. If you play the US version wrong, grind a little too much with the wrong main character and have the misfortune to come up against Valsu, it becomes unwinnable.

Paladin's Quest, on the other hand...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The PS1 version of Wild Arms also has a horrible localization, like google-translate quality.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I have a lot of disdain for graphic whores, but Wild Arms just doesn't look good. Too 3D to appeal to a retro crowd, but the 3D was too awful to appeal to anyone else. I'm a fan of the game, and I can replay it because I know it inside and out, but I really can't blame anyone for having less wherewithal.

Yeah, if it was sprite based I probably would have given it a chance. It wasn't strictly the graphics though... just the presentation in general screamed "what the gently caress are we doing this is the first time we do 3D ahhh". I've never thought a game was so offensively ugly I couldn't play it. Games made in 1992 looked better than games made in 1996, early 3D was so bad.

I remember Sony being very adamant that all PS games had to be in 3D though, was that a PS1 thing or PS2 thing?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

The PS1 version of Wild Arms also has a horrible localization, like google-translate quality.

I recall WA1 being okay, but it's been over a decade since I played it. WA2, on the other hand, actively made me lose my grasp on the english language the deeper I got into it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Coughing Hobo posted:

I recall WA1 being okay, but it's been over a decade since I played it. WA2, on the other hand, actively made me lose my grasp on the english language the deeper I got into it.

Yeah, I played WA2 about half a year ago and the translation was one of the more hilarious ones I've seen. WA1 is nowhere near as bad in that department.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
WA2's translation is an exercise in terrible localization.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WA2's translation is amazing in just how bad it is. It is kinda sorta passable early on but the further you get the clearer it is that nobody is trying in the slightest.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

ImpAtom posted:

It is kinda sorta passable early on but the further you get the clearer it is that nobody is trying in the slightest.

Considering how utterly batshit crazy the plot becomes in the second half of the game this might be pretty on the mark.

Like I've seen some ridiculous bullshit out of JRPGs but "You are literally fighting an entire alternate dimension - not what's in it, the alternate dimension itself" is still the purest :wtc: moment in my personal experience.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 6, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shaezerus posted:

Considering how utterly batshit crazy the plot becomes in the second half of the game this might be pretty on the mark.

Like I've seen some ridiculous bullshit out of JRPGs but "You are literally fighting an entire alternate dimension - not what's in it, the alternate dimension itself" is still the purest :wtc: moment in my personal experience.

That's part of why I love WA2's awful translation. The plot is hilarious even with a good translation but the poo poo-awful translation somehow makes it all the better.

"Hm, yes, let's have a Kamen Rider fight an encroaching parallel universe embodied through the power of incest" is the most JRPG of JRPG plots.

Wild Arms 2 has all sorts of hilarious inexplicable things on top of that. It is a game packed to the brim with inexplicable bullshit and it's sort of wonderful for it. It's not necessarily good but it's one helluva experience.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 6, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
WA2's translation is just so loving schizophrenic. It's like, it has a largely coherent voice in some scenes, it gets kinda Engrishy in others, you'll get a couple "broken clock" lines that are just brilliant or convey these completely obtuse thoughts perfectly, and sometimes, you just get

Muntu
Apr 29, 2013
That makes me want to try Wild Arms 2. I liked the first one's story, though I played the remake.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I don't think I'll ever forget checking up on something for the LP and discovering they'd translated the deeply complex 'haa, haa, haa' as 'wah. wah. wah.' making the heavily-breathing character seem like she was crying for no reason at all.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

WA2's translation is just so loving schizophrenic. It's like, it has a largely coherent voice in some scenes, it gets kinda Engrishy in others, you'll get a couple "broken clock" lines that are just brilliant or convey these completely obtuse thoughts perfectly, and sometimes, you just get

Does that just say CHA CHA CHA CHA CHA CHA CHA CHA or am I remembering my characters wrong

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Polsy posted:

I don't think I'll ever forget checking up on something for the LP and discovering they'd translated the deeply complex 'haa, haa, haa' as 'wah. wah. wah.' making the heavily-breathing character seem like she was crying for no reason at all.

Same game also features this brilliant threat:

But I can tolerate it because it also features wonderful characters such as the Batshit Insane Nurse Duo:

Anyway, probably not gonna derail this thread further since it's not a JRPG megathread but yeah, WA2 is certainly an experience.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Does that just say CHA CHA CHA CHA CHA CHA CHA CHA or am I remembering my characters wrong

CHI CHI CHI CHI CHI CHI CHI CHI

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Jesus, those Wild ARMs 2 translation screens make me yearn for Suikoden 1's bland-rear end one. Which, speaking of Konami early PSX RPGs, it and Vandal-Hearts were what made my PSX worth keeping before FF7 came out. Good games, both. Vandal-Hearts imprinting so strongly upon me is what made me try FFTactics (via a rented PSX, after I sold the first PSX I owned from shortly after launch to a few months after FF7 came out) and end up having my favorite PSX game of all time. It and Xenogears need to get more love.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

Jesus, those Wild ARMs 2 translation screens make me yearn for Suikoden 1's bland-rear end one. Which, speaking of Konami early PSX RPGs, it and Vandal-Hearts were what made my PSX worth keeping before FF7 came out. Good games, both. Vandal-Hearts imprinting so strongly upon me is what made me try FFTactics (via a rented PSX, after I sold the first PSX I owned from shortly after launch to a few months after FF7 came out) and end up having my favorite PSX game of all time. It and Xenogears need to get more love.

Xenogears would get significantly more love if not for the wrecked second disc (Final Fantasy VIII :argh:) and rather poor pacing. And the painfully small textboxes for to the amount of dialogue in that game.

Also I'm one of the few people who enjoyed Vandal Hearts II, but the first game was good too. This also reminds me that back in like fifth or sixth grade a classmate of mine traded his copy of Final Fantasy Tactics for my PS1 version of Worms. Best trade I ever made, I still got that FFT disc.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Xenogears has always been hugely popular among RPG fans I'm pretty sure. Great reviews as well. I didn't even mind the second disc being what it was either

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The #1 problem with Xenogears (and honestly with a lot of PS1 RPGs, including some of the FFs) is that they have the s-l-o-w-e-s-t text boxes imaginable. It makes them incredibly hard to replay these days. Text speed cheats on emulator or whatever at the best solution but I honestly prefer to just put my discs in my PS3 when playing something. :smith:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Shaezerus posted:

This makes me really want to track down a copy and play through it with some of my friends.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

This makes me really want to track down a copy and play through it with some of my friends.

The gameplay is not going to be even remotely close to as interesting as you would hope. It was my first PS-1 RPG and it was terrible and the only reason I finished it was because I had nothing else to play and reading text boxes about a dimension being like an egg which has a tail which is like our souls was good enough. Fun example, healing items can never be bought only stolen.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Epi Lepi posted:

Wild Arms 2 is available on the PSN.

e: My favorite parts of WA2 are:
  • The map search mechanic which requires you to run around on the world map pressing the square button to locate giant cities, towers and other landmarks, especially when you can't actually find the locations until you've been told that they exist.
  • The ability to name just about every character in the game. You can name everyone Sephiroth and it'll only make the game marginally more confusing.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 6, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

7th Saga has some neat visual stuff and the ability to pick a character, but beyond that it's loving terrible. The Japanese version isn't very good and the American one completely buttfucked the game with a mixture of difficulty tweaks and what were probably unintentional player-screwing bugs. If you play the US version wrong, grind a little too much with the wrong main character and have the misfortune to come up against Valsu, it becomes unwinnable.

Paladin's Quest, on the other hand...

If you fought any apprentice after level 25 it was nearly impossible to win. At 30+ you had even guys like Lux doing 1 damage to the other apprentices since they still got the extra stat gains at 10+ while out of party. It had royally hosed up balance issues but the game was still a really good attempt at something different. Throwing a balance mod on to fix the US bugs makes the game pretty good. You still end up with the fact that Elixir(?) exists for some casters though.

On the upside, if you manage to recruit someone like Lux at 40+ you can basically walk through everything. I let my game run overnight to hit 60 (since 61 took something like 10x the xp needed for 1-60) and recruited Lux. I think he crit Metal Pison for over 3k damage with his attack boosted and using the defend-attack trick. I'd give the game a 6.5 out of 10 now. Maybe 7.5 with it patched to address the difficulty issue/bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Maybe (okay, definitely) the fact that I bought 7th Saga for 120 Canadian bucks back in the day combined with the fact that the cartridge I bought happened to have a defective save game battery that deleted my save after five minutes soured me unfairly on the game, but 7th Saga was a drab, poorly-balanced, plain oatmeal pile of poo poo that I can't believe someone would cite it as an example of Enix's output. I get it, this is not the Square Appreciation Station and the company lost its way a fair while ago, but come on.

Cape Cod Crab Chip fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 7, 2013