Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/OIAatut.jpg:nws:

On second thought maybe it's NWS.

gleep gloop fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 6, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm not even sure what I'm looking at, and I'm disturbingly unsurprised that there's a site called bestgore.com.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Godholio posted:

I'm not even sure what I'm looking at, and I'm disturbingly unsurprised that there's a site called bestgore.com.

Synthol rupture. Couldn't find one without a watermark.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I remember when I used to like running. What the gently caress was wrong with me? It's finally summer out up here and I still can't get motivated to run. I just wanna lift weights faster or something I don't know.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

smertrioslol posted:

I remember when I used to like running. What the gently caress was wrong with me? It's finally summer out up here and I still can't get motivated to run. I just wanna lift weights faster or something I don't know.

Running to get faster is never really enjoyable for me; that's work. Running to go further at a slow pace is something I really like, though; I just go to my happy place and enjoy the ride.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Gonna have to shelf squatting/DLing for a bit. My lower back felt miserable yesterday squatting through warm ups. I'm still paying for a moment of idiocy from December all these months later. Either way summer is coming up so why bother training legs lol.

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013

overdesigned posted:

Running to get faster is never really enjoyable for me; that's work. Running to go further at a slow pace is something I really like, though; I just go to my happy place and enjoy the ride.

I'm the exact opposite. I run to get my targets over with as fast as humanly possible. I don't want to spend 50 minutes running five miles. Running is the most tortuous form of exercise for me, but unfortunately it's also the most effective in terms of losing weight/trimming bodyfat.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Captain Amerikkka posted:

I'm the exact opposite. I run to get my targets over with as fast as humanly possible. I don't want to spend 50 minutes running five miles. Running is the most tortuous form of exercise for me, but unfortunately it's also the most effective in terms of losing weight/trimming bodyfat.

Bro it should only take 30 minutes to run 5 miles :smug:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

MurderBot posted:

Bro it should only take 30 minutes to run 5 miles :smug:

:frogout:

Running slow and long is mostly fun. Like 3-5 miles at a 9ish minute mile pace. Running fast like an APFT is unbearable.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Captain Amerikkka posted:

Swimming! :science:

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013
I've thought about swimming. I can do the breaststroke (at least I think that's the one where you kick your feet and alternate using your arms) okay, how long does it take to get into useful swimming shape? And if I went in like an hour early for my classes and did ~30 minutes of swimming would that be long enough to get something out of it?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Useful swimming shape is dependent mainly on your technique. If you have good technique then swimming long distances doesn't take a lot of time to get into decent shape, maybe a solid 3-4 months of swimming 3-4 times a week. Aside from that, it's more along the lines of learning proper technique to be able to be efficient in the water so that you're not at 500% your max heart rate because you're flailing around in the water. And yes, 30 minutes of swimming if you're hardcore motivated and push yourself is definitely good enough.

Also, swimming is amazing and I will always consider it the best form of exercise..ever.

also it sounds like freestyle to what you're doing.

Free:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax77_hHq9Dc

Butterfly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6n_SrjLypA

Breastroke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpaHls6fyW8

backstroke from london olympics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm3zVaOG0x4

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 6, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I have poo poo technique and I know it. I was ok at swimming as a kid, but in the past 15 years I think I've done normal swimming like 3 times. I couldn't believe I was having a hard time in the swimming test for scuba...it should've been cake. Fortunately the pool there is half urine, so I had good motivation to avoid drowning.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Godholio posted:

I have poo poo technique and I know it. I was ok at swimming as a kid, but in the past 15 years I think I've done normal swimming like 3 times. I couldn't believe I was having a hard time in the swimming test for scuba...it should've been cake. Fortunately the pool there is half urine, so I had good motivation to avoid drowning.

This is exactly my problem. Anytime I try swimming these days, my heart starts racing and I want to die. I WANT to get better at it, but I don't know anyone else who does it (everyone stationed at Minot is a loving fatbody) and can help me get better/motivate me.

Instead, I will run. And hate it.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

overdesigned posted:

Benched my body weight for the first time ever today :toot:

(shut up bench has always been my weakest lift)

I tried widening my grip and fixing my form a bit and finally hit 200lbs, chest to bar. I finally feel like a real boy.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

smertrioslol posted:

This is exactly my problem. Anytime I try swimming these days, my heart starts racing and I want to die. I WANT to get better at it, but I don't know anyone else who does it (everyone stationed at Minot is a loving fatbody) and can help me get better/motivate me.

Instead, I will run. And hate it.

Any chance you can get a coach to help you out? Swimming is about feeling comfortable in the water, as the position that you're supposed to be in is not acclimate in the human mindset. It's literally taken me two years to become comfortable in the water, being able to submerge myself and just be comfortable with everything I do, and not worrying when my body is saying "go get some air" even though I can go another 25 yards as hard as I can with one or two breaths.

What I'm trying to say is, get a coach and/or watch a poo poo ton of video's, and keep at it.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Got back up to repping 215 on bench yesterday. Been working back up from tearing the labrum in my right shoulder. I used to do 265 but I might never get back there again. As long as I can rep 225 I won't feel too bad. My fiancee put up 135, which I think is pretty heavy for a girl.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Martello posted:

Got back up to repping 215 on bench yesterday. Been working back up from tearing the labrum in my right shoulder. I used to do 265 but I might never get back there again. As long as I can rep 225 I won't feel too bad. My fiancee put up 135, which I think is pretty heavy for a girl.

I hope your labia recovers.

I haven't lifted in 2 months now but I still eat like I lift 5 days a week. I'm just bulking.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
lol

It's kinda like a vagina, a sleeve of cartilage that holds the ball in the socket.

So pretty much exactly like a vagina. And it's never gonna recover unless I get surgery, which I don't want to do. The doctor told me I'd be on my rear end for six months minimum. gently caress that, I'll just keep raising the weight slowly and backing off if it starts to hurt again.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Martello posted:

lol

It's kinda like a vagina, a sleeve of cartilage that holds the ball in the socket.

So pretty much exactly like a vagina. And it's never gonna recover unless I get surgery, which I don't want to do. The doctor told me I'd be on my rear end for six months minimum. gently caress that, I'll just keep raising the weight slowly and backing off if it starts to hurt again.

That could lead to like a shoulder dislocation which would ssuuuucck.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah that's gonna suck when it tears with no warning and you lose 30% mobility in that shoulder.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Yeah but I've had this injury for over a year and so far I haven't hurt it any worse. I'm being pretty careful with it. The doctor told me the surgery doesn't have a 100% recovery chance anyway, and she said I could keep doing what I'm doing as long as I don't go overboard with weight and if it hurts, stop doing it.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Martello posted:

Yeah but I've had this injury for over a year and so far I haven't hurt it any worse. I'm being pretty careful with it. The doctor told me the surgery doesn't have a 100% recovery chance anyway, and she said I could keep doing what I'm doing as long as I don't go overboard with weight and if it hurts, stop doing it.

I feel like this is only going to end in disaster, but if you're cool with that vOv

As far as swimming goes, I'm basically going to force myself to get good at it this summer. I doubt I'll be able to find a coach, but I know one or two guys who claim to have swam in high school so maybe they can help me out. Ideally, I'd like to slim down a little bit, since I hit literally every weightlifting goal I've ever had as of this month. gently caress.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I might take up boxing. Boxing seems cool although I would want to avoid having my face beat in by a 135 lb mexican kid.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

I might take up boxing. Boxing seems cool although I would want to avoid having my face beat in by a 135 lb mexican kid.

That is exactly what happened the first time I tried sparring a 135lbs Filipino kid. My face looked like hamburger meat.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Martello posted:

Get your shoulder fixed you goon you have free healthcare.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Get your shoulder fixed you goon you have free healthcare.

Did you miss the part where the recovery is six months or more? I don't want to have to be like Rookie of the Year with my loving arm held out and up for two months, then be in a regular cast for four months, then not be able to lift more than five pounds with my right arm after I get out of the cast.

Like I said, I've been living with it with no issues for over a year, and in fact there's been less pain than ever recently. Honestly the only thing that really bothers it is standing at parade rest. It's that unnatural motion of torquing my arm behind my back that hurts. There aren't a whole lot of other situations where that would happen.

I mean, I know getting it fixed is the right answer, but I loving hate the idea of being on my rear end (figuratively) for that long. Especially while I'm still in command. Maybe after I'll get it looked at again and get another consultation.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Get your shoulder fixed. Seriously.

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013
You're a loving captain. You should know better.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
An infantry captain, so I ignore injuries like an idiot. :mil101:

But seriously, I'll get it looked at again soon. It just hasn't been bothering me at all lately except for the stupid parade rest thing.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

What the gently caress is wrong with you. Don't ever let injuries involving joints go untreated you -will- regret it later in life. Any type of lingering pain in my shoulders, knees, or back I immediately go to my orthopedist. 15 dollars to be told I strained something and given treatment is a lot better than 1500 dollars for a surgery later because I was an rear end in a top hat and ignored it.

vains
May 26, 2004

He's actually right though. The surgery to repair your labrum doesn't have a 100% success rate, has an extremely long heal time, and doctors seem to want to do it as a last resort.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I get that, but at least go through physical therapy and rehab it. Something. Lifting relatively heavy weight on a torn labrum is a recipe for disaster down the road.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Okay, I definitely wasn't clear enough.

1. I went to sick call at Fort Benning during the career course last year, complaining of my shoulder injury that wasn't getting better. This is after taking six months off from bench press because I knew that was what caused it. Dude at sick call (PA probably) told me I needed further testing, so I got X-rays.

2. On X-ray follow-up, they couldn't find anything - because it obviously wasn't a bone thing but whatever, Army medical system. So they got me an appointment like three months from then for an MRI.

3. MRI happened, and my follow-up was scheduled for another month later.

4. Follow-up appointment with no-poo poo MD, LTC type. She gave me the option of invasive surgery with a long recovery time that would prevent me from taking command anytime soon and wasn't guaranteed to fix the problem, or just living with it since it wasn't stopping me from doing APFT stuff or shooting or anything like that. She even said that the surgery could make the problem worse and give me other problems because of having to operate so close to the joint to repair the tear.

5. I went to my follow-up (again) with a physical therapist. She told me that doing front and lateral raises, and low-weight bench press, were good ways to strengthen the muscles around the injury and keep further damage or dislocation from happening.

So I was actually following a doctor's (and therapist's) advice - although maybe you could still say I'm stupid because I chose "live with it" over "maybe fix it." I do plan on getting it looked at again and if the doctor who gives the second look recommends surgery, I will likely go for it this time. I don't want it loving me up even worse sometime in the next few years.

And I don't think 215 (or my goal of getting back to 225) is "lifting heavy" but maybe that's a consequence of always working out with gigantic meatheads.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Just make sure your technique is spot on. The bench press shouldn't really impact your shoulders if the bar path is low on your chest.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Yeah, I hit just below the nipples. Trust me guys, I'm being careful. I will never forget the paper-ripping sound in my right shoulder.

e: also I know the way I was talking about it was casual and feeding into that "hurr I'm a tough infantryman don't need no doctors" stereotype but I was being flippant. I'm not scared to get things looked at - this morning I went to sick call and what I suspected to be a stress fracture in my left foot is probably just a weird sprain. Gonna ride the bike tomorrow instead of rucking though and I'm keeping an eye on it.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

If the Doctor and PT are telling you to carry on, then welp. But yeah, you may want to check your form if you're getting shoulder pain from a bench press. Also, stretching. Dear god stretching. I messed up my shoulder a couple years ago because I was slacking on my stretching, needed two months of PT to correct the pain.

vains
May 26, 2004

Is there an officer in GIP who benches more than Deathy's bitch rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Whip Slagcheek posted:

If the Doctor and PT are telling you to carry on, then welp. But yeah, you may want to check your form if you're getting shoulder pain from a bench press. Also, stretching. Dear god stretching. I messed up my shoulder a couple years ago because I was slacking on my stretching, needed two months of PT to correct the pain.

I don't get shoulder pain from benching now, it was only that time I ripped it and then when I was starting back in on bench after the injury. Now anytime anything gives me a little bit of a prick in the center of the shoulder, I just stop doing it or I lower weight. It's usually only military press, which I've switched to doing only on machine because it usually doesn't hurt that way.

And I always stretch my shoulders a ton before and after lifting.

Veins McGee posted:

Is there an officer in GIP who benches more than Deathy's bitch rear end?

Maybe? What does he lift? I was repping 265 when I injured myself originally. I thought psydude lifted a lot too?